Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our first turkey 5K in the books. I "paced" my son. It was his first race and first time running further than 1.5mi. I mostly just followed his sporadic pace and made sure he was safe. He did it all on his own!

25:57 - 8:22/mile - Ellie (age 9)
26:42 - 8:36/mile - Tiny (age 7)
30:13 - 9:44/mile - Clark The Shark (age 5)

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! As a father of three (under 5 right now) its great to see you having so much fun with them and involving them in your hobby.

Nice one.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [calumf50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent run this morning. Progressing (so far) just as I had hoped:

Happy Thanksgiving to all, USonians or otherwise. and good running as we get into the second 10% of this year's challenge. Now off for a 7-8 mile hike in the Sangres de Cristo NE of Santa Fe.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big John wrote:
Sounds like a great plan, tribern! Regarding the 2x15 minutes and Starva synching, I am considering doing that on Thanksgiving, so I can report back then with how it works if no one responds before.

Happy Thanksgiving Big John!

I'm manually adding up the time and distance when I run twice a day and logging that into the ST Training Log, but because I'm also saving the complete run walk of >30 minutes to Strava, I need to take care that when I synch Training Log with Strava it doesn't pull the whole run walk into the 100/100 log again. (As part of my health insurance I have a rewards plan that games healthy habits and gives shopping vouchers for meeting targets. The minimum is 30 minutes of exercise at 60% Max HR)

I'm interested in hearing how your 2 x 15 went WRT synching Strava with ST Training Log.

Cheers!
Last edited by: tribern: Nov 25, 21 16:45
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [tribern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had time to go into both ST Training Log and Strava and figure it out.

Any activity in Strava that's saved as a run and is longer than 30 minutes gets pulled into the challenge. So if I do 2 run-walks in a day saved as runs in Strava, and the total time taken for one activity is >30 minutes, if I manually create a 1 x 30" run for the 100/100 challenge, it logs both the run-walk and the manual entry. I was showing as 8 runs when I knew I'd only done 5.

Solution: I deleted all run-walks of >30minutes from ST Training Log, then edited the Strava activities to save the run-walks as "walk" before synching with ST Training Log again.

In future I'll save walk-runs as walks before uploading to Strava, and continue manually creating an entry when I do 2 x 15" runs in a day. I'll feel better knowing that my totals aren't artificially inflated :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes, it's bad enough being slower than a 9-year old. But then I'd have a hard time staying with your 7-year old. I could (probably) keep up with your 5-year old, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Nice run by everyone! Happy Thanksgiving.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ate too much and didn’t run today. :(
I’ll run 50 minutes tomorrow and 12 miles Saturday though.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [tribern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tribern wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving Big John!

I'm interested in hearing how your 2 x 15 went WRT synching Strava with ST Training Log.

Cheers!

Thank you! Well…I totally blew it off 🤣 Just wound up with too much to do, cooking, cleaning, entertaining company, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart,

While I listened to Alice's 18:34 minute version multiple times yesterday (tradition) it never occurred to me to listen to Arlo on a Thanksgiving Day run for some reason? BRILLIANT! It had been on my Bucket List for decades to hear him play it live, he finally came to our town, we had great tickets to see him at a cozy little local venue and the show was postponed twice for C-19 and then cancelled due to his "retirement". What a letdown! :(
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Bruce Bornhurst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post turkey burn at my normal friday group run. If you know where this is , join us 6:00am every friday, we finish by 7am for coffee social with best breakfast egg-bacon-cheese sando ever. And yes... free race pics lol

Last edited by: synthetic: Nov 26, 21 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day After Thanksgiving - Black Friday 20K Solo Relay
Starting at 5 or 6AM or so, run four 5Ks, separated by at least 4 hours ... if need be, the final 5K can be done the following day

6AM - 26:54
10AM - 27:31
2PM - 28:12

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey all you wonderful 100/100 runners,

Everything is working pretty well from the server side. I'm seeing some duplicates in the data -- seems under some conditions it will let you start a second strava sync before a first one has completed, or if the page gets reloaded, and this has led to some duplicate records in the data. I'll be taking a look and deleting these duplicates over the next few days.

Cheers!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice, have fun working it off!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev,
The snow finally arrived—well, in the hills just above us. By tomorrow it should also reach the lower elevations, so hopefully I’ll have a picture worthy of posting. If not, then I’ll upload one from the MTB ride 😀
Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking care of the data, EricTheBiking! We love looking at our names & numbers.

I was sick and lost a few days. I’m back to running today.

The last time I ran before becoming ill, I experienced toe pain. Like, my left shoe was suddenly too small. As I ran, I wondered if my foot was swollen.

This morning I pulled the socks from that last run out of my shoes before I put the shoes on for today’s run. Then I discovered an extra sock jammed in the toe of my left shoe! That is the source of my toe pain. I feel like this is an important discovery.

I ran to the Ramona Dam today. It was pretty in a desert-y way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Day After Thanksgiving - Black Friday 20K Solo Relay
Starting at 5 or 6AM or so, run four 5Ks, separated by at least 4 hours ... if need be, the final 5K can be done the following day

1st Leg: 6AM - 26:54
2nd Leg: 10AM - 27:31
3rd Leg: 2PM - 28:12

4th Leg: 9AM - 27:45

25K Holiday Half Ass or The Full Fattie 50K
Run or walk 25K or 50K any time during the Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend - Thursday through Sunday. That means you have 96 Hours to complete your race!!! The clock starts with the first step and runs until the last step, unlike the Black Friday 20K Solo Relay where only running time counts

Started the final 5K at on the treadmill 3:00PM (after the doing first 20K as part of the Black Friday, above), finishing 27:55 later, for a total time for the Half-Ass of 33:27:55

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations to you, Randy, and thank you for your inspiring idea. I didn’t do your plan, but I thought about your extra efforts as I ran some extra distance & time. It was fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to help, Jane!!!

In my little -verse, extending a workout [running or riding a few more miles than planned, adding an extra couple reps or sets] is called "randying"

Have fun with that!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
What is all this talk about snow.

Sorry for not participating. Been plugging along wth a pile of 10-15 min runs multiple times per day to hit daily 30 min during weekdays when my primary activities are work related (yes, sometimes there is this crazy tech ceo running loops of parking lot in jeans between meetings) or my main exercise which is swimming (often 10/15 min before 60-100 min swim and a short jog after and then jogging through day to get over 30). Saturday and Sunday doing "real runs"

I thought of you yesterday Dev when I didn't get out for my run. Had a long morning in the climbing gym and managed my time badly thereafter. I'm sure I could have got in at least 15mins before and after climbing if I ran around the car park. Will take my trainers with me next Thursday and do a "Dev"!!

Moral of the story. Swim goggles, jammers, running shoes, running clothing, extra sets of all in car, travel bag, standby at office....basically wherever you are you want extras of swim and run gear since it takes almost no space. This way if the opportunity presents, then you're set.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Congrats Randy on completing your challenges within this challenge!

Thanks Anna!!!

With an event of any length, you have to add little milestones in there so it doesn't seem so daunting or tedious. Plus, I'm kinda like my own little Running Community down here [I mean, there are other Runners, but I only occasionally see them on the road, but have no idea who they are, or what their story is], so I make up my own stuff to keep it interesting

I have 2 more events in the 2021 Holiday Running Festival: The Grinch Sprint [25-minute time trial] and the Naughty or Nice Prediction Run; no dates set for those - might be one of those 'Hey! Let's do THIS today!!!'

Those will finish up the 2021 Calendar

I may cook something up for New Years [Beer Mile doesn't meet the 100/100 criteria, so I'll figure out something else boozy/hangover related], then there's the 24 Minutes of Daytona New Jersey [24-minute time trial] and the President's Day 5K in February [5K on a road course which must include a street named after a US President]

#MakeRunningWeirdAgain
#MakeRunnersWeirdAgain

Last edited by: RandMart: Nov 29, 21 5:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more likely to be seen, than to see someone I recognize on the road. People from our Church will honk at me when they see me trotting around

The first mile mark of several routes is our Church [or last mile, if I'm coming the other way]. I often stop in front of a row of statues next to the Rectory to say a few Hail Marys and Our Fathers. I'm not there long - not like I'm doing a whole Rosary - but our former Pastor would see me often enough that, when giving me Communion on Sundays, he'd say "Body of Christ <pause> Did you run today?"

It was much different when I lived in the city, and I kinda miss that; or even when I would run on the indoor track at our old gym - you got to get close enough to people [in a physical sense] that you got to know them

For instance:

Tick Tock Black and Tick Tock Red
Some nights I'd have trouble keeping up with these two Asian guys. They both clicked off 6-8 miles at exactly 7:45 pace 1/2 lap apart. One usually wore all black, while the other favored red shorts, white tank, red headband. Their footstrikes were in perfect sync, like metronomes

Lean Mean Gene
Probably the oldest looking 52-year old I've ever met. He and I used to knock off six-, eight-, ten-milers on this 12 lap per mile track, without problem

Doctor Boston
Joe may or may not have ever run Boston ... I'm not even sure he was a doctor. He just kept that very steady, consistent tempo a marathoner would. He was German or Austrian or something Bavarian. The truth is, he looked like a small version of Laurence Olivier in Marathon Man. If he ever asked "Is it safe?" I would've screamed like a little girl

Last edited by: RandMart: Nov 29, 21 6:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Plus, I'm kinda like my own little Running Community down here [I mean, there are other Runners, but I only occasionally see them on the road, but have no idea who they are, or what their story is], so I make up my own stuff to keep it interesting

#MakeRunningWeirdAgain
#MakeRunnersWeirdAgain

I nearly always run the same forest trail and there are always the same people out in the morning either running or walking their dogs. It really is like a little community. I don't know the people, but we always greet each other. Once i couldn't run for a few months and when I started again everyone was asking me where I had been. It's the same for me too, when I don't see someone regularly I always start to wonder if they are ok.

Same thing for me at the pool...if I don't see someone lately I literally think they are dead from Covid19.

Today it was minus 6C outside when I got to the pool. I had my jeans and winter jacket on and ran for 25 min with street clothes on, swam hard for 90 minutes and I had some extra time before I had to get to office for next meeting so I added 10 min of jogging (again in street clothes, no shower needed in such a short time since I showered after swim).

If there is no 100/100 I probably just swim for 2 hrs. Oh my first swim meet in 2 years in 2 weeks. Swimming 400IM, 100 breast, 200 fly, 100IM, 100 fly in a 2 hrs meet :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next