Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hip Labrum Repair - How long did yours last?
Quote | Reply
If you had a hip labrum repair, how long did you reap the benefits of a more stable pain-free hip.

How much did you run after surgery? How much riding?

How soon after surgery did you work up to these amounts?

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Labrum Repair - How long did yours last? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had surgery July 1, 2015 (also had my femoral head shaved down). I probably didn’t feel like the surgery worked until 4 months in. I was allowed to cycle (spin bike, minimal resistance) pretty quickly to keep the hip moving. Wasn’t allowed to get on my real bike, outside, clipped in until month 4 or 5. It was a slow progression of walking to walk/run to run. Think I started walk/run around month 4. Took me 6 months to get back to riding or running without any hesitations and what was a normal low volume training amount (3-4 hours of cycling per week, 20 miles running a week). Once I hit the 6 month mark, it was like a switch went off and I was able to slowly ramp up from there.

Almost 7 years later, I have very minimal symptoms (tight hip occasionally)

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Labrum Repair - How long did yours last? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
If you had a hip labrum repair, how long did you reap the benefits of a more stable pain-free hip.

My surgery was in February 2011. Started PT pretty quickly after the surgery, which was very important. No weight on it at all for six (or maybe eight) weeks, and I started walking then running in May, and did my first triathlon in July. I was swimming about two weeks after surgery (single leg wall push-offs are a bitch), riding my trainer maybe four weeks later. I've never been a high-mileage runner, so probably no more than 20 miles in a given week. I did do over 8,000 miles on the bike in 2021, ten years later.

It has been good-to-go ever since: completely stable, but an occasional bit of bursitis that is never limiting or painful. Even my surgeon (who is himself an Ironman triathlete) was pleasantly surprised that it has worked out so well! Now, that torn meniscus in my knee in the other leg, that's a different story...

(edit: I'm about to turn 64)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Apr 6, 22 6:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alex, finally I can contribute something, since you share all of your information so willingly!

I had a full labram reconstruction(donor tissue) I also had a cam and pincer impingments. I had them ground down as well.

As soon as my pain meds wore off I was pain free. Being in bed and rotating at all from the torso caused pain. When I cam off the meds and I rotated and there was no pain, I knew it was the right decision. I started rehab and I remember walking in sandals(I never wear sandals), and caught the toe of the sandle on the carpet at the PT office and I stumbled and previously this would have been a 8 out of 10 pain, there was no pain at all and I actually caught my balance. This was a couple weeks after surgery when I was just off of crutches.

I was very slow to my return, on purpose. They did the process where they drill in and cause blood flow to help with the healing and the Dr. told me that I might be feeling very very good, but do not progress to running before(date he said) because he said it is like jelly in there and then will become jello and then will heal fully. I started with water jogging and then worked back to it. I also had major achilles isssues that slowed my progress to running. Riding came back within 12 weeks(I believe). I was able to ride 1hr with smooth efforts at about 14-16 weeks. Once again I was very slow to build back.

I am 4 years post surgery. All is well and better than ever. Yes, I am back to racing long course and putting in 10-15hrs a week training. Most importantly quality of life is better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know anything about the surgery, but you'd be in good company. The woman who just won the mile at D1 NCAA swimming championships did it with both hips bad, and had the surgery to fix it this week...

https://swimswam.com/...-repair-torn-labrum/

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

I’m 3 years out from one and 2 and 1/2 from the other I think. I was running after the first one in 10 weeks, not sure on the second but I was recovering from knee surgery at the same time. They both don’t hurt and I have no problem doing any activities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

I've been managing a labral tear for around five years now - kicking the can down the road for surgery. I just turned 42 and was recently told that they don't do the surgery if you're over 40. I wasn't aware of a restriction like that. It looks like some of you may have been older than 40 when you had your surgery. If anyone was indeed over 40 can you confirm?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Labrum Repair - How long did yours last? [Sharkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had both of mine done at age 45. I'm 47 now, they are holding well. No reason to expect that the fix won't last forever!
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Labrum Repair - How long did yours last? [Sharkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sharkey wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

I've been managing a labral tear for around five years now - kicking the can down the road for surgery. I just turned 42 and was recently told that they don't do the surgery if you're over 40. I wasn't aware of a restriction like that. It looks like some of you may have been older than 40 when you had your surgery. If anyone was indeed over 40 can you confirm?

Thanks

I was 53. Whoever "they" is, get someone else. Bite the bullet, give up a season (or off-season) to get the surgery and rehabilitate. After getting a better orthopedic surgeon.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our daughter (D III runner) had both hips done. To say she has struggled is an understatement. We are currently exploring more options.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Labrum Repair - How long did yours last? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife feels your daughter's pain.

We wish her the very best.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Labrum Repair - How long did yours last? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My daughter had both of hers done at ages 15 & 16. Never really recovered, pain never went away. We finally realized the surgeon botched her royally. The surgeon who (a few years later) fixed me went back in on her. Fixed her completely. The first surgeon didn't "do" cadaver labrums (which the second/final surgeon gave her on both sides). She had no labrum left on either side, so nothing that first surgeon did was going to help. Also found out after her final surgeries that the first surgeon had left her hip capsules swinging wide open.... Apparently those should be checked/tightened up if necessary. Ignored by first surgeon.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex, i have added this thread to the *hip labrum tear* category in our HOT FORUM TOPICS illness & injury thread list. you'll find MUCH more Q&A on the threads in that thread list.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Labrum Repair - How long did yours last? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm embarrassed to say that I did not know this feature of slowtwitch existed! Checking it out now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
I'm embarrassed to say that I did not know this feature of slowtwitch existed! Checking it out now.

you're right there with about 85 percent of the community. i think it's probably just a design flaw on our side.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Labrum Repair - How long did yours last? [minniebeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minniebeck wrote:
My daughter had both of hers done at ages 15 & 16. Never really recovered, pain never went away. We finally realized the surgeon botched her royally. The surgeon who (a few years later) fixed me went back in on her. Fixed her completely. The first surgeon didn't "do" cadaver labrums (which the second/final surgeon gave her on both sides). She had no labrum left on either side, so nothing that first surgeon did was going to help. Also found out after her final surgeries that the first surgeon had left her hip capsules swinging wide open.... Apparently those should be checked/tightened up if necessary. Ignored by first surgeon.

Good luck.

This goes back to my original point. You can’t just have any surgeon do this.
Quote Reply