Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Slowman wrote:
best way to know the answer is to just poll it, i think, and that poll has just been placed on the site.

Haha...you know a popularity contest will lean towards making something easier. it's why Ironman Arizona would sell out and Tahoe would not....but on the flip side you also get all those people who go do Wildflower because it is tough but they just put their head down and went and did it and drew internal satisfaction hammering Nasty Grade on jello legs and thrashing themselves down the final hill to the finish in 100F heat.

It's up to you if you want it to veer towards Ironman Arizona or Wlidflower/IM Tahoe.

On that note gotta head out for a 1 hrs run and 2 hrs swim

i'm not sure you're right. what people also tend to prefer is what they know and are used to. i think if you polled folks and asked them all if they'd prefer the ironman distance to drop by one-third, they'd say no, leave it as it is. but who knows? not me. that's why i think polling it is a pretty useful exercise.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although one gets the impression reading this thread that you and Dev represent incommensurable positions, I don't think this is actually the case. Dev wants to keep the 100/100 a real challenge (even for experienced runners); you want to be more inclusive and feel that a 20-minute minimum would be more conducive to this end (both with regards to people "succeeding" and injury prevention). Both of your goals have real merit.

But the really off-putting/discouraging aspect of the 100/100 is that it has turned into a competition unto itself. I did my first 100/100 three years ago, right when things went ballistic. While I didn't try to keep up with leaders, I definitely ran more often than I perhaps should have -- though I didn't injure myself. I think most people read about the challenge and think, "Sure, I'll give it a try and see how far I get." But when they (assuming someone relatively new to running) see people knocking out 4-9 runs on a given day, they either give up pretty soon or try to up their game, which usually doesn't end well. Instead, they should be listening to Slowman's advice under the heading "accumulated wisdom": "Take days off when you need to. As your fitness increases, you may find later in the Challenge you can run doubles. Most who hit their 100/100 do take rest days."

Perhaps we should be strongly encouraging those new to the Challenge, who probably don't have years of high mileage in their legs, to not go too hard and run every single day. They should, as Dev says, use the split-day run rule; they should take days off; and they should view the challenge as something they grow into as the years go by (which seems to be the secret to endurance sports).

Anyway, that's my two cents.
Flemish

P.S. I came out of the first Challenge a much stronger runner.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Slowman wrote:
best way to know the answer is to just poll it, i think, and that poll has just been placed on the site.

Haha...you know a popularity contest will lean towards making something easier. it's why Ironman Arizona would sell out and Tahoe would not....but on the flip side you also get all those people who go do Wildflower because it is tough but they just put their head down and went and did it and drew internal satisfaction hammering Nasty Grade on jello legs and thrashing themselves down the final hill to the finish in 100F heat.

It's up to you if you want it to veer towards Ironman Arizona or Wlidflower/IM Tahoe.

i'm not sure you're right. what people also tend to prefer is what they know and are used to. i think if you polled folks and asked them all if they'd prefer the ironman distance to drop by one-third, they'd say no, leave it as it is. but who knows? not me. that's why i think polling it is a pretty useful exercise.

Putting all this archaic debating about rules and admin aside during today's 1 hrs run followed by 1:45 swim I ran by the track and got lured into a 5000m solo TT (thus a 100/100 minimum).

Anyway 4:38, 4:32, 4:32, 4:28, 4:19 for a 22:31. This from a guy who quit running in fall of 2018 since I could not walk well and your encouragement did 100/100 as 100 days of rehab to get to a continuous outdoor 30 min run without having to stop.

I have done this time 3 times in the last year, but 8 lbs over my previous tri race weight. But it is not bad for a 56 year old (well a few daya from now(....not great but solid and thanks to your encouragement to just put in 100 days of rehab.

I may try to break 22 before this 100/100 kicks off on a proper track (not gravel like today).

If I can stop eating maybe sub 22 is easy but swimming 20km per week and can't stop eating when I swim a lot.

On a plus note my 22.31 achieved the 3 mile minimum and barely over the 20 min some want
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
Perhaps we should be strongly encouraging those new to the Challenge, who probably don't have years of high mileage in their legs, to not go too hard and run every single day.

i agree wholeheartedly! that is why, for the past several years, in everything i write, including the article last week reminding everyone that this commences in 1 months, to do exactly as you say. and, to remind people that you're on the "podium" with a "trophy" if you run at a rate of 7 times in each 10-day span.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or, more simply, running 5 days a week gets you about 72/100 - that's where I usually end up

For me, 3/30 is right in my sweet spot

With a 15 minute warm up & cool down, that's an hour - an hour out of my day where I can be completely selfish with my time ... it something that more us need than we might suspect

Along with Inktober, and my own Endless Summer 100/100, these hours I take for myself are non-negotiable and invaluable - fortunately my family unit understands this, and how much it benefits them, in the long run (pun = intended)

"It's your run; do what you want with it" - I forget where I heard that
"All Runners are Liars" - Bart Yasso

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The operative word from your article was 'honour tomorrow's run today'. And that's the key to any stage event whether 100/100, Ironcowboy, tour de France, RAAM, Ultraman etc (and I realize 100/100 is not in these leagues but the same principle applies). Gotta pace today for what happens tomorrow and it's not just tomorrow's running but everything in life tomorrow that we have to deal with...and the next day and the next
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Slowman wrote:

wrt poll, perhaps your ultimate poll is look at how many people did 70-100 runs each of the last 10 years and give that a weighting because they did more than click on a button and put their shoes on and actually kept repeating the process for 100 days and also look at poll and give that a weighting factor.

The other part is that many are not aware that they can do less than 30 minutes often and get credit by adding them up. Nothing is stopping shorter runs from happening other than getting less credit....I'll be doing 10 min run - 60 min swim - 10 min run today. If we were in 100/100 on existing system, I'll need 10 min or more tomorrow to get me over the hump for all these to count by tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
should be 3/30 . coach tells you 2/20 of running.... but where is your warm up and cool down? Perhaps triathletes can learn about that. Even if it is a walk. We have seen that one guy last year do the 100 runs with mainly walking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In re: the second part of that:

My proposal is that you'd be allowed to "spill over" mileage/time from the day before. So if you ran, say, an hour today, you could "bank" 10 minutes of that for tomorrow's 20 min recovery run. But that either 15 or 20 min be the bare minimum for the spill over or "make up" miles to count. That gets us to what I'd like to see (the shorter minimum run) while also maintaining the spirit of the 30/3.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I asked that last year - if you could use an overrun from one day to cover a shortfall on the next?

Or maybe I just meant to ask?

Or maybe I said to myself "That's dumb. If it made sense, someone would've asked already?"

I guess if you're bringing it up, maybe it's not that dumb after all?

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I think I asked that last year - if you could use an overrun from one day to cover a shortfall on the next?
I don't think the current rules allow this. (See rule #12)

Rule #12 allows you to makeup a short run from the previous day a couple of time per week. Sort of a "I got caught in bad WX/my spouse phoned and I had to cut my run short/I just ran out of gas/etc" scenario and you can make it up tomorrow. But I don't think you want to allow people to "bank" minutes/miles one day that they could use if they decide they want to bag their run the following day.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
Did the minimum run distance used to be 1 mile per day?

That's what seems to be the Global Standard as far as what constitutes a Running Streak, according to Runners World, runeveryday.com, and so on

For my money, that's barely enough to get warmed up and into the "good stuff" endorphin-wise that comes on after 20-30 minutes, so why even bother?

I've been running nearly every day since March 2020 something I haven't done in more than 30 years. After doing my two longest runs during the weekend my recovery day is Monday when I run a mile. After staring at a screen for 8 hours, I still get excited about running that mile outside and feel better when I'm done.

Have fun with the challenge!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Oct 25, 21 19:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in for the first time and pretty pumped about It.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave the challenge the college try 2 or 3 years ago. Missed last year's challenge laid up with pericarditis from long-Covid. Aiming for the 100 this year and excited to get after it with everyone. Healthy legs and happy running to all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't seem to find the poll.

This will be my third year doing it and I, personally, would like to see the commitment shorten slightly. Min of 20 mins, maybe. My reasoning... Not because the current challenge is too hard (I actually like 3mi or 30mins). It's because I'm also trying to squeeze in bike and strength training, also, and it simply comes down to time. With this being a triathlon forum, I'm sure others participating in the challenge are facing the same crunch.

I'm currently doing the Endurance Nation 100 in 100. It's a little different, in that it's a minimum of 1 run per day, each day for 100 days. No days off with multiple runs on other days to get back on track. However, the minimum is 1mi, allowing for additional training.

That said, if it remains 3mi or 30min, that's what I'll try again.
Last edited by: throxy: Oct 26, 21 5:50
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [throxy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
throxy wrote:
I can't seem to find the poll.

I vote for 1 mile/ 10 minutes as a run. That wasn't in the poll.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found the poll and voted. Had to log in via a computer to see it. Wasn't able to access it via the phone's browser 🤔
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [throxy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The polls do show up on mobile... But, you gave to go to the front page, where the articles are. I know! It's crazy, apparently there are articles on thus site...about stuff. ;=)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good lord! It's that time again, already?

Ok, im in. For something, anyway. I'm in a better frame of mind this year vs. Last.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
The polls do show up on mobile... But, you gave to go to the front page, where the articles are. I know! It's crazy, apparently there are articles on thus site...about stuff. ;=)

Thanks @Tom_hampton! Yes, I do see it on the home page via mobile at the bottom of the page. Wouldn't have thought to look there.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found it on the forum page without a problem on my phone

YMMV [Your Mobile May Vary]

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
But the really off-putting/discouraging aspect of the 100/100 is that it has turned into a competition unto itself. I did my first 100/100 three years ago, right when things went ballistic. While I didn't try to keep up with leaders, I definitely ran more often than I perhaps should have -- though I didn't injure myself. I think most people read about the challenge and think, "Sure, I'll give it a try and see how far I get." But when they (assuming someone relatively new to running) see people knocking out 4-9 runs on a given day, they either give up pretty soon or try to up their game, which usually doesn't end well. Instead, they should be listening to Slowman's advice under the heading "accumulated wisdom": "Take days off when you need to. As your fitness increases, you may find later in the Challenge you can run doubles. Most who hit their 100/100 do take rest days."

I agree.

This was the impression I got from last year's thread, especially. I felt like "we" (the front pagers) as a whole got too wrapped up in the pointy end, and it was less about the encouragement of the newer, less experienced participants. I'd prefer to help the newer folks figure out how to get in that extra run per week (that counts towards the total)....than argue about the purity of someone's 100/100, or someone doing 10 runs per day for two weeks.

I respect those efforts for what they are, and that's fine. We all have our own goals going into this thing. But, the spirit and purpose of my participation in this is to help those who aren't there yet...get there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like competing for the "Lanterne Rouge" of the podium [70% or better]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
In re: the second part of that:

My proposal is that you'd be allowed to "spill over" mileage/time from the day before. So if you ran, say, an hour today, you could "bank" 10 minutes of that for tomorrow's 20 min recovery run. But that either 15 or 20 min be the bare minimum for the spill over or "make up" miles to count. That gets us to what I'd like to see (the shorter minimum run) while also maintaining the spirit of the 30/3.

I think my issue with this whole argument is that there's too much emphasis on the 100. This discussion about what "counts" as a run towards the 100 (and tricks or what not to get one), misses the point. The point is to get to the point that someone is ABLE to run 30m a day, every day. If someone's NOT able, they shouldn't feel bad or refrain from participation because of that. They should aspire to that. And we, the front pagers, should spend our time and participation in this thread helping those figure out how to do it.

Its 210 minutes of jogging per week. Maybe we need to provide some specific methods for how to get from 1 mile per day to 210min per week? And show how that reflects into an accomplishment level by the end of challenge.

1. Run more days per week.
2. Run more time per day.
3. Run more minutes per run.
4. Run more times per day.

Its like any other plan to "build up" to a goal. Maybe someone who is on the lower end (1 mile per day) only starts out with 2-3 qualifying runs per week. But, 3 turns into 4, then 5 and even 6. Someone who starts out only being able to get 2 qualifying runs per week (15m per day added together 2x per week), can add 1 more run per week every 3 weeks up to 5 / wk for the last month and still break 50 for the challenge. The person that does THAT, gets a heck of a lot more out of this challenge than everyone on the front page...or front 3 pages.

You don't need to be physically ready on day 1 to do 7 qualifying runs per week. The only thing you need to be mentally ready to work towards 5-7 qualifying runs per week by the end of the challenge.

Its like this whole argument about 100 runs de-emphasizes the significance of ^^^^^ THAT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In for the third time.

Was lured into the challenge from a couple of members via the 19/20-thread, very thankful for that! That year I made it to 72-ish runs, but missed out on the “honour tomorrows run today” and started running to fast.

Last year I made the 100 runs (101 runs actually) by doing all (literally all) my runs at a max HR of 130 - my upper rest zone. This low tempo was definitely the key to succeding - and it was still enough to strengthen my running considerably.

Have voted to keep at 3mi/30 mins.
Quote Reply

Prev Next