Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I inadvertently did the Holiday Half Ass as I ran 5k on Thursday, then 8k + 6k on Saturday, and another 6k + 5k on Sunday. If I just go from the start of the Thurs 5k to the end of the Sun 6k (which gets me to 25km), my time is 73h29m

There was rather a stark contrast between the first run on Saturday..

Blue sky over the Grand River

Some ice, but basically completely clear trails

This is Devil's Creek upper falls:

When the weather is just right (not too far below freezing), the splashing water creates pearls of ice - up to a little more than an inch in diameter - on the rocks below. It's the neatest effect!

Now, compare to Sunday's runs:

We awoke to snow, and it basically kept it up all day long

Too many bare patches to get the snowshoes out just yet, but very pretty!

Confluence of the Grand River and Speed River

The real treat was the second run - my first nighttime snow run since March or so

Tough to keep the steam pouring off me from fouling shots taken with flash

..but fun to run through the tunnels of snow-laden branches.

Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
I think I inadvertently did the Holiday Half Ass as I ran 5k on Thursday, then 8k + 6k on Saturday, and another 6k + 5k on Sunday. If I just go from the start of the Thurs 5k to the end of the Sun 6k (which gets me to 25km), my time is 73h29m
Want me to make you a bib - retroactively - for scrapbooking porpoises? LOL

Always excellent to see misstressk pix!!!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, not the sick part, the sock part. you're running in some great places.

CallMeMaybe wrote:
Thanks for taking care of the data, EricTheBiking! We love looking at our names & numbers.

I was sick and lost a few days. Iā€™m back to running today.

The last time I ran before becoming ill, I experienced toe pain. Like, my left shoe was suddenly too small. As I ran, I wondered if my foot was swollen.

This morning I pulled the socks from that last run out of my shoes before I put the shoes on for todayā€™s run. Then I discovered an extra sock jammed in the toe of my left shoe! That is the source of my toe pain. I feel like this is an important discovery.

I ran to the Ramona Dam today. It was pretty in a desert-y way.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Can't see a photo šŸ¤”
Let's see if this works...some video clips from run #4. It was a beautiful fall morning, and I encountered several deer and a hawk...or a hawk-like bird of some sort (bird experts on here can probably ID it).

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
after my 5 years as purist 100-100 in this competition, yesterday I failed. road indoors instead from soreness of long run on sunday. Trying to be smart about recovery on my journey forward, rather than never ending build of exhaustion.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today 60 min swim then shower and change into street clothes with running shoes and had enough time to cram in a 15 min run. So there was this crazy guy running back and forth in front of office (fortunately it was minus 3C so did not build up much of a sweat). 15 min more this evening in conjunction with a trainer + rowing machine workout.

At this point in 100/100 I have only done 4 real runs on weekends. Everything else is sliced and diced 10-20 min at a time around other workouts or life multiple times per day, but I am on 100/100 pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
šŸ‘
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the mysteries of running continue. Yesterday, I changed to my next course/loop, which adds 0.5 miles for a total of 3.5 miles, but also has 2 more hill sections.

The run was terrible. I had to stop 8 times to catch my breath, and I just felt horrible in every way. Probably the worst run so far.

Today (same time of day, same course) I was 3:28 faster, didn't stop once, and even did a couple of segments (0.75 miles and 0.56 miles) at a sub 8:30 min/mile pace, which is crazy fast for me. One day after the next, no obvious reason.

Which of course is why running very day for 100 days is great! I want to post more pictures like mistressk, but i generally do not carry a device capable of taking them.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
gorgeous pictures as always Mistressk.

Last night [Tuesday] was gym night = you don't want a pix of a row of treadmills and Jeopardy! on the TV

I'm just close enough to The Shore that the ocean moisture pretty much keeps the snow away. We get a semi-frozen semi-corrosive slurry, covering rocks and sand and gravel and shoes and needles and underwear and little bottles of Fireball and hubcaps and roadkill and all sorts of other shit. When that all dries out, the slush is gone, but all that other crap is still out there, usually migrating onto the part of the road I'm using [we don't have sidewalks, mostly], and collecting in any number of brand new potholes

Occasionally, though, that moisture will collide with an Arctic Blast or something and we get fucking DUMPED on

Even then, it can get weird - there was a storm last year that clobbered Philly & NYC but we got nothing but a dusting on our side of the NJ Turnpike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Good luck for your swimming meet in 2 weeks Dev. I'm just in awe of your slicing and dicing - not just from the time management aspect, but your drive to get it done.

Happy running/swimming/rowing - I'm off to run in the snow!

Well I mismanaged my time last night (or I got mismanaged upward by my team)....in any case we are working on a major proposal deadline due at midnight. I get home at 9:30 pm and have dinner and at 10 pm get back to work doing "my part" and finally at 11 pm we're all done and waiting for one guy (don't you love group work....sheeeesh I am 56 years old, and its like MBA classes in 1992 all over again), and realize I still have 15 min of running left plus my daily 100 push ups and 100 sit ups, so go down to the basement and do a circuit of 3 min jogging + 20 push ups + 20 sit ups 5 times and get back to work at 11:30 with team (remotely of course) and we get everything in at 11:58 pm. So both proposal in, 60 min swim + 15 min run mid day and 15 min run + core work at night.

Today's workout was 25 min jogging then 4000m swim with main set as 20 x (50 fly-50 back LCM with 15 breaths rest) + 10 min jogging.

So everything is back on 100/100 pace. Also note I do not have kids (grown up) and an amazingly supportive life partner for the last 30 years of the craziness who is no longer an athlete (she used to be a tennis and basketball player in youth....sports that she totally smokes me at).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Anna,

Yes, there is a fair amount of snow above 300 meters. I was up in hills on my MTB last Sunday, and it was really quite nice. Given how much rain weā€™ve had, there is certainly much more snow now, though the temperatures have certainly gone up.
As far as running goes, you were always one spot ahead of me during the first week; Iā€™m just returning the favor šŸ˜‰ Feel free to bank an extra run or two and leave me in your dust.
After two weeks of running, my body feels like it has adjusted to the extra load. I am also surprised at how different each Challenge has been. While I am not running as often as in past years, my average speed per run is definitely up. This was neither planned nor am I sure if it will continue till the end, especially given the less than stellar weather. We will see.
Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why canā€™t I post pictures from my cellphone? Am I missing something?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
Why canā€™t I post pictures from my cellphone? Am I missing something?

Iā€™ve been round and round over this, and it turns out that there is a limitation (imposed by the forumā€¦not your phone) to the size of the file you can post. So while in theory you can post from your phone, it must be a very low resolution (compared to current phone camera capabilities) photo or very short video (e.g. 1 or 2 seconds long).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Big John,

Thanks for the information. Iā€™ll try lowering the resolution. Iā€™ll probably have to move the file to the computer to do so.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure! Yes, when you are on computer, the forumā€™s website will indicate the maximum file size (e.g. 100 kB or whatever it is). But when you access the forum from a phone (my phone at leastā€¦iPhone 10 or 11 or whatever) it does not show you this. And phones now take photos on the order of 10 MB. Soā€¦it is what it is, as they say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
Hello Anna,

Yes, there is a fair amount of snow above 300 meters. I was up in hills on my MTB last Sunday, and it was really quite nice. Given how much rain weā€™ve had, there is certainly much more snow now, though the temperatures have certainly gone up.
As far as running goes, you were always one spot ahead of me during the first week; Iā€™m just returning the favor šŸ˜‰ Feel free to bank an extra run or two and leave me in your dust.
After two weeks of running, my body feels like it has adjusted to the extra load. I am also surprised at how different each Challenge has been. While I am not running as often as in past years, my average speed per run is definitely up. This was neither planned nor am I sure if it will continue till the end, especially given the less than stellar weather. We will see.
Ciao

Are you lighter this year. This could explain faster average speed off the same fitness. Or you are fitter at your old weight. Or a combo. Clearly you cannot be younger than last year, so its not youth (sorry I did not call you old, we're all one your older than last year)!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carried an old phone on this evening's 3.5 mile loop.

Typical landscape in the "upper" (newer) part of Galisteo

More of the same.

Looking out into the Galisteo Basin. On the right is Cerro Pelon, which is a part of what used to be fashion designer/film director Tom Ford's ranch but is now owned by a mystery buyer.

Evening glow around the Sangres de Cristo, to the north.

Looking down "The Hill" with a camera, it doesn't look so threatening, but this continues to be my nemesis, even if somewhat diminished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I have anything interesting to post, I'll put it on my IG; no sense doing it twice, sorry

MistressK is super-considerate in taking that extra step for us

Last edited by: RandMart: Dec 2, 21 6:34
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose it's the growth of "social media" and this approach to it that has made the 100/100 thread on ST so much less of a thing over all the years 100/100 has been going on.

I remember years ago how much more activity there would be here during the challenge, but I suppose that lots of people are now taking the same approach: "I already post to IG, why would I do it twice".

Granted, I'm an outlier (almost all social media sites are blocked on my computer), but even so, this is a highly specific place in which precisely the people who are trying to complete this challenge can all exchange experiences and ideas. It seems like a shame that people's individual social media postings would replace that, but I guess that's just where we are in 2021. I suppose that if you see 100/100 as just "part of what I do anyway", then "posting how I do anyway" makes sense. For me 100/100 is a special thing, and I'd like to think that even if I did post to social media about it, I'd still try to participate here (mostly because I've always found other's participation very motivational).

Or maybe I just misunderstood what you meant.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes and no

I don't talk about 100/100 on my socials, really, other than posting the bib I created when the gun goes off in November, maybe a mid-way update, then Final results, and save all my "good" commentary for the thread here

However, posting pix to the forum - especially from the phone - is a pain [and I don't really have much to show, anyway] so I'll just put them up on IG and be done with it

I used to be able to pull pix from IG and post them here on my laptop, but it doesn't work so great anymore; I used Flickr once upon a time, too, so some of my archival work moves OK, back & forth. With their latest iteration, I think I've gotten myself locked out, so there's no new shareable content

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev,
I take issue with the claim that I canā€™t be younger than last year šŸ˜‰ Biologically, it is possible, though not probable.
But the reason Iā€™m faster this year, compared to previous years, is that I only have one running partner this year (vs two). As a result, Iā€™m on my own four runs per week.
Second, Iā€™m not running up in the hills as often. Things have been very busy at work, so I have been making the most of my lunch break by running in a nearby park.
Third, I am simply going against everything I have learned and hold to be true, that is, run slow most of time with some speed sessions thrown in.
The minute I notice anything, or the weather forces the issue, Iā€™ll back off. I have no desire to injure myself. At this point, Iā€™m just curious to see how this plays out. But letā€™s be honest, the pace isnā€™t brutally fast, and Iā€™m not running twice a day.
Last edited by: Flemish Arrow: Dec 2, 21 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey RandMart,

I get your point and would probably do something similar if I was on mass social media. But since this form of social media ainā€™t my thing, Iā€™ll have to make do with the limitations of this platform. Nonetheless, I do appreciate your response.
Would it be possible to create an automatic resolution filter for image and video files, that is, no matter how large the file, only a limited version will be uploaded?
Just thinking out loud.
Quote Reply

Prev Next