Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
We need to work on your definition of "help"

In these cases, I'm trying to make things seem just a little less awful

Sorry if I failed you

Mission accomplished. :o)

I only have the dark and cold abyss of winter ahead of me. Its fine. Spring will probably return.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I only have the dark and cold abyss of winter ahead of me

There is a certain spot, on one of my routes, that is absolutely pitch black for a couple hundred yards between developments

In the Winter, when it is super cold, it almost feels like being adrift in Space

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Well, after Dec 21, the sun will start setting later in the evening, if THAT helps at all?

While Dec 21st is the shortest day of the year, the earliest sunset for me occurs sometime before that. Here in Eastern NM, the earliest sunset will be on Dec 5th. Sunset for us on Dec 21st will be about four minutes later.

The days will keep getting shorter after Dec 5th because sunrise will keep getting later. Our latest sunrise won't be until Jan 8th. I almost never get up early to run. When the days start getting shorter, it's the later sunsets that I start looking forward to.

Take a look at your local.

http://www.world-timedate.com/astronomy/sunrise_sunset/sunrise_sunset_time_worldcities.php?continent=north_america

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New Mexico ... we may not have much of an economy, thanks to only 2 million people in the 5th largest state, among other things. But we're further south than CO, you can always go south of ABQ in the winter to get some actual warmth, while meanwhile the mountains in the north can fill any need you may have for altitude and/or snow and/or low temps. Oh, and miles and miles of trails with almost nobody on them, because this isn't the Front Range.

C'mon down.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Mrs., AKA the Director of Household Operations and President of Finance, is based out of CO for her job. She's full-time remote now, but if we were moving it'd likely be in no small part due to them wanting her in-person a day or two a week.

Do need to make a trip to NM at some point, though...

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
new mexico is amazing. i pass years training in las curces as my home base. empty roads...amazing weather...mountain trail to run. The land of enchantement!!!! i miss it a lot!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I 100% appreciate your perspective on it. We both want the same things. Just different approaches, is all. And I also appreciate that this thing is, for all intents and purposes, your baby.

Now, onto the real purpose of this thread: THE GRIEVANCES, DAMMIT!

• Remind me the next time I move to go somewhere south that still has winter. This whole "it's not light till 7:30 AM" thing is bullshit.
  • My fitness is a mess. I have two speeds: on or off. Right now it's mostly off.
  • I had to spend the better part of three months not doing anything this summer. Not exactly a banner way to get into shape.
  • The limited fitness I have is on the bike, and that's just from towing the kiddo around in her Burley from time to time.

I suppose I just need to get moving. Let's bank as many days as possible so I can go into my winter ski trips (going to Utah and Colorado this winter) in as best a shape as we can.

During your ski trips can you do 15 min joggng every morning before getting on skis. Good warmup for the legs and you keep the legs runnng and get one run every two days!!!

On my front last few days were whatever it takes to get moving....last two days got home around 10pm from work....got on treadmill for some shuffling. With 100/100 on horizon don't want to miss too many days....and both days were 20 minutes followed by weights. Not 30 min
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah—I was just mentioning it because I’m basically using the 100/100 to prep for those trips!

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for that complete and detailed explanation

A far lesser person would've said "Well, not really" but I guess that's why we're all here, and it is what separates us from "normal" people

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if...someone does this challenge but is so stupid that they add the Goggins 4x4x48 challenge in it, even maybe, multiple times?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
What if...someone does this challenge but is so stupid that they add the Goggins 4x4x48 challenge in it, even maybe, multiple times?

thats why we have the 3 a day limit so far, which honestly should be combined to 1 in a total day.

For instance if you do 5k warm up, 5k race, 5k cd in under 1 hour, you are penalized for it counting it as 1.

But if you do 5k starting every hour for a total of 3 hours, you get 3 runs counted
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I understand how the 4x4x48 works, I have a scenario

The Runner could start at noon, with runs at noon, 4PM and 8PM counting for Day 1

Runs starting at Midnight, 4AM and 8AM would count for Day 2 - runs at Noon, 4PM and 8PM would not count within 100/100 for Day 2

Day 3 would start with a run at Midnight, then conclude with 4AM and 8AM

So the 4x4x48 Runner could get 100/100 credit for 9 of the 12 runs required

Sound about right?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems right. You get 9 out of 12 count at best. At worst, 7.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like the quantity and quality of grievances is really low here, folks.

I’m a little upset at the limit of 3 runs per day. Whatever happened to that blue fella who lived that life on his treadmill with the closet of running shoes? Are we just abandoning him?

What happened to that snowy vixen who posted fantastic pictures? Mistressk? Will she be back?

I’m in terrible shape. It’s been a terrible couple of years. Some good fun but not enough regular exercise.

If I’m not limited to grievances related to the 100/100, I have more: I have a weird taste in my mouth. I’m feeling a little low. I like my running shoes, but my pinched nerve in my foot hurts.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
What happened to that snowy vixen who posted fantastic pictures? Mistressk? Will she be back?

I shall inquire, and request her presence

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Signed up for the 100/100 challenge - first timer - and looking forward to attempting it. I have a general question on the Training log, do we have to manually click on sync Strava on a regular basis for activities to appear in the calendar/log? I am presuming it will not just auto populate the activities each time something goes on Strava, so ongoing manual sync is required. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [ljgraham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ljgraham wrote:
Signed up for the 100/100 challenge - first timer - and looking forward to attempting it. I have a general question on the Training log, do we have to manually click on sync Strava on a regular basis for activities to appear in the calendar/log? I am presuming it will not just auto populate the activities each time something goes on Strava, so ongoing manual sync is required. Thanks!

yes. you have to sync with strava. the sync is not automatic as it is, for example, when your zwift session automatically syncs up to strava. syncing from strava down to us requires that you click a button on your training log. if you go, say, a week without doing so, fine, click that link and everything you did on strava will sync down to the training log and automatically sync with the challenge leaderboard.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
I feel like the quantity and quality of grievances is really low here, folks.

A grievance about the grievances. How meta.

CallMeMaybe wrote:

I’m a little upset at the limit of 3 runs per day. Whatever happened to that blue fella who lived that life on his treadmill with the closet of running shoes? Are we just abandoning him?

Haven't seen Bluestacks around in a while. Looks like BS867 hasn't posted since late 2020, and hasn't logged in since Feb 21. Fishbum was a friend of his...but, I think Fish got banned?

CallMeMaybe wrote:

Mistressk is registered for the challenge.

CallMeMaybe wrote:

I’m in terrible shape. It’s been a terrible couple of years. Some good fun but not enough regular exercise.

Well....as of Saturday, I'm currently on the injured reserve list.

CallMeMaybe wrote:

If I’m not limited to grievances related to the 100/100, I have more: I have a weird taste in my mouth. I’m feeling a little low. I like my running shoes, but my pinched nerve in my foot hurts.

Brush your teeth? Sorry, buck up Calamity! Again....sorry....maybe a metatarsal pad might help?

Oh, and welcome back to "that other forum" from "the forum that shall not be named"!
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 3, 21 15:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ljgraham wrote:

yes. you have to sync with strava. the sync is not automatic as it is, for example, when your zwift session automatically syncs up to strava. syncing from strava down to us requires that you click a button on your training log. if you go, say, a week without doing so, fine, click that link and everything you did on strava will sync down to the training log and automatically sync with the challenge leaderboard.

You don't have to sync to Strava ... in fact, you don't have to use Strava at all [do you? I never have]

To be completely and absolutely honest, I only use the ST Training Log 100 days out of the year

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just signed up. It’s been so long that I didn’t know how to do it! I had to read the article and look at the picture.

The consistency of this thing has been very good for me in the distant past, but I don’t think I ever started out as out-of-shape as I am now. If I can stick with this— even with my pitiful efforts, it will be good.

I saw Randy’s name twice in the list of registrants. I saw my name twice. That’s normal?

What happened to you on Saturday that injured you?

(Also, I didn’t brush my teeth. I changed my mindset, instead! Winning!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
I just signed up. It’s been so long that I didn’t know how to do it! I had to read the article and look at the picture.

The consistency of this thing has been very good for me in the distant past, but I don’t think I ever started out as out-of-shape as I am now. If I can stick with this— even with my pitiful efforts, it will be good.

I saw Randy’s name twice in the list of registrants. I saw my name twice. That’s normal?

What happened to you on Saturday that injured you?

(Also, I didn’t brush my teeth. I changed my mindset, instead! Winning!)

You can do it!

Something weird is definitely going on with the entrants.

Not really sure what happened on Saturday. Combination of things, maybe? Getting old, my orthotics are falling apart, bad luck, I stepped off the edge of the road a week ago (maybe something residual)... At any rate, I developed and inflamed posterior tibialis at the end of my long run. So, now I've got a couple weeks of rehab. I've ordered new custom orthotics....they'll probably be here about the time I can start running again.

(PS: How very California. :-)
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 3, 21 19:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:

That IS weird - just scrolling through, I see a bunch randomly repeating

But I don't see CallMeMaybe even once?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's definitely something weird going on in there

Just out of curiosity, I went in, and copied/pasted each page to Excel & sorted the whole population of 266

Some people came up 2 or 3 times [some are once on each page = 1-100, 101-200, and 201-end] and I wasn't in there at all [although I saw myself twice earlier today] nor was CallMeMaybe

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since this has come up, I've checked for my own name a few different times. I've been listed once, three times, and not at all.

But you don't ever want me looking at code.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could just be a synching issue. I started a Strava account for this but haven’t fully synched it yet.
Quote Reply

Prev Next