Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
32nd run or almost a 1/3rd!

Today in a 8.5 Km race, Silvesterlauf Zurich, 37 min. Given they had no useful safety protocol was more busy with maintaining distance and avoiding gatherings in this crammed race than really racing but letā€™s see what price I pay for adding some color to this challenge which I learned to call ā€šthe state of permanent strainā€˜.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Dev,

I wouldnā€™t worry too much about a lack of active participation. I think most of us know you have a ton of work.
I must confess that I also wanted to be more active this year, but work is conspiring against me. Iā€™m sure many here are under more pressure to get things done before the end of year.
Anyway, the main thing is that we all keep truckā€™in along.
Todayā€™s run went surprisingly well. I came back from another wet, cold MTB ride in the hills (visiting two different Roman fortresses along the Limes) and still managed a decent 5k thereafter. I usually run before I ride (in winter), but it wasnā€™t possible today.
Letā€™s see what tomorrow holds, aside from Zoom meetings šŸ˜‰
Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Feehliks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Feeliks (Felix??),

Great to hear that you had a solid run today. I know they like to do things a little different in Zurich, but isnā€™t it a bit early for a New Years run (Silvesterlauf)? I would understand running on the 31st, but almost three weeks before?!?! šŸ˜ƒ
Ciao
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I finished my marathon today. Dallas marathon, 4:02:12. Thought about walking a few times in the middle of It so I could log 2 or 3 runs. Jk jk lol

Man Iā€™m on a high though. Itā€™s my third marathon but first in 10 years. First one I finished with zero walking and not wanting to die at the end. Had some beer at miles 8 and 20 and someone was handing out vodka Bloody Mary shots at mile 12, which were delicious. Just a great run.

Now I can log more short runs for this challenge though.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [cbump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbump wrote:
Man Iā€™m on a high though. Itā€™s my third marathon but first in 10 years. First one I finished with zero walking and not wanting to die at the end.

Awesome! I have blown up quite a bit in the past during various races - and yes it does feel good to nail the pacing and finish a race strong like that. Congratulations!!!

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
cbump wrote:
Man Iā€™m on a high though. Itā€™s my third marathon but first in 10 years. First one I finished with zero walking and not wanting to die at the end.

Awesome! I have blown up quite a bit in the past during various races - and yes it does feel good to nail the pacing and finish a race strong like that. Congratulations!!!

Thank you sir. According to my watch I was on pace to break 4 hours, but once I realized my watch was ahead, I couldnā€™t make up all the time. My watch logged 26.46 miles and said 3:59:20 at watch gps 26.2 (which I know doesnā€™t count).
At the real mile 6 marker I realized It and sped up. Ran a negative split but wasnā€™t enough.

Itā€™s ok though. That was never a goal for this one. Just wanted to finish one after 10 years. 4 months ago when I started training I was expecting to run a 10:30 pace. So I beat that! And a pr. My previous best was 4:05.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [cbump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife did the half and she logged 13.25 on her watch. Who knows. Apple watches kind of suck for accuracy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've found these GPS gadgets can be flakey. I did my first run on the track, 5000 meters exactly (well, per the track anyway). The Apple iPhone app (I use Under Armour's MapMyRun) measured it at 3.2 miles. And then, when I synched it to Strava it was 3.4 miles. I guess Strava recalculates the distance using a different formula than Under Armour...not sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
Hello Feeliks (Felix??),

Great to hear that you had a solid run today. I know they like to do things a little different in Zurich, but isnā€™t it a bit early for a New Years run (Silvesterlauf)? I would understand running on the 31st, but almost three weeks before?!?! šŸ˜ƒ
Ciao

Felix (the name was already taken here)

good catch! It is and it has always been there on second or third advent and I have no idea why they call it Silvesterlauf!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorting the results by distance, I see that Runner Kempenaer has run 173.21 miles, over 31 runs, in 20:23:27

Nick Coury ran 173, in just ONE 24-hour run over the weekend

https://www.irunfar.com/...invitational-results

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Feehliks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,
I guess I missed that particular run when I was there. However, I did have the pleasure of participating in the SOLA twice. A logistical nightmare that the organizers miraculously pull off each year, though much easier than the original course from St. Gallen to Zurich.
Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
Hey,
I guess I missed that particular run when I was there. However, I did have the pleasure of participating in the SOLA twice. A logistical nightmare that the organizers miraculously pull off each year, though much easier than the original course from St. Gallen to Zurich.
Ciao

Ha! SOLA has been cancelled last year and not clear yet what is going to happen in 2022! The original one is still happening every second year, but whatever that means in the current situation.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a very chaotic past week and a half or so, so I have slipped into Bronze Medal level, which - to be honest - is about where I expect to be

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [henkedejk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baseline run Nov 15th was 5:59 min / km at HRM 130
Test #2 Dec 15th was 5:45 min / km at HRM 130

Happy with the progress. Last year I think i progressed a bit more but also started in ā€worse conditionā€. Plus I was a little into diet improvements, something I have not been this year. Maybe after New Years :-)
Last edited by: henkedejk: Dec 15, 21 22:14
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dec 15 base line 5k 27:34. 1:44 improvement from Nov 15 every one of my runs except base line runs are very easy. Chronologically challenged dude trying to regain fitness at a reasonable pace :) Super happy and grateful for this challenge!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I did not participate in posting recently. My scenario of doing "no real runs" and only filler runs tacked onto swims around work meetings or circuit training runs around weights and recently bike trainer is working out. I am still on 100/100 pace but have only done three "real runs". On Sunday I did my first swim meet in 2.5 years which was a bit of a disaster in terms of times. I was 3 seconds slower in my 50's, 6 seconds slower on 100's, 13 seconds slower on 200 and 25 seconds slower on 400 (raced 400IM, 50 fly, 200 fly, 100 IM, 100 fly). Due to work I missed the warmup and there were no cool down lanes, so I am chalking up the slow times compared to 2019 nationals mainly to that....but I finished swim meet, got to my car and was going to bail out on running, and was standing around in my jeans, running shoes and winter quote and decided to do 15 minutes of jogging in the local neighbourhood to shake out my upper body (what I have found is that I recover better from hard swims from the upper body motion of swinging my arms versus getting into my car and seizing up). So I ate a banana (my car always has extra food before workouts....just in case) and started the jogging and then 15 minutes happened and I was around 1km from my car, so just took a longer route back and pushed it over 30 minutes.

The amount of running I have done in my street clothes and On Cloud running shoes reminds me of when I was in recruit camp in the military in 1983, when you HAD to run everywhere outside of barracks in your uniform in "depleted uranium hard" military issued boots. But it was a great habit of getting running miles in every time you had to move. Later when I was a "senior cadet" and no one else ran in uniform (because only recruits ran), I would do that in the lead up to our fitness tests (my theory being I was getting more mileage in daily than walking everywhere). I ran 7.08 for my best 1.5 miles fitness test (that was 4:44 mile pace....but it was also 1986 and I got the top score in my class for the overall test of which 1.5 miles was a part - other events where chin ups, sit ups, shuttle run, standing long jump).....so trying to apply some same theories in 2021 to get ready for racing in 2022.

It worked 35 years ago so what the heck. May as well pull out old tricks when I am time limited!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Things are not going well here. After what felt like some real improvements in week 2, I am now back to square one: frequently unable to run continuously, frequent lightheadedness, and my pace is slowing down. I've now also missed 4 days (that's OK, I know I could make that up if I choose to).

I've been (a) reviewing my slowtwitch training logs from previous 100/100 challenges (b) reading around on these symptoms. I'm moderately sure that I can detect some arrhythmia in my pulse during the episodes where I need to stop running, so I've ordered a kardia monitor to check things out and to have some data when I go talk to my doctor. There are some clear signs that this was happening a bit in early 2019 too.

I'm not quite sure of the best path ahead here, but hope to continue running even at my current very slow paces (13min/mile if there's even a mild uphill grade), if only for the calorie burns. Today's missed run was mostly on account of the 30mph winds and rapidly dropping temperatures (18F / -7.7C overnight tonight).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Anna s wrote:
... and you're always saying there's nothing to see where you live!!

Nothing as photogenic as what others put up, anyway

OK, THIS was weird

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXjI1xsrGdO/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the Martians/Red Lectroids were on their way back to Grover's Mill, and got lost over our neighborhood, which about 50 miles South of where they wanted to be

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just out for a 4th run of the weekend on Sunday evening; a point-to-point with Tank waiting for me at the other end. So it's a bit dark and chilly - I've got a fleece skirt and a wind jacket on, I'll be fine.

Got a little nervous because the end of one of the half-dozen footbridges along the way was flooded out a bit, but was able to keep my feet dry stepping up onto it..

..and then things got rather worse.

I've said before that if ducks are swimming on it, it's not a trail. But I mean really, how bad could it be?

It was about this point I saw a fish in my headlamp beam swimming away from my foot.

I made it through, but the SECOND flooded trail section was even deeper.

It's all meltwater, too, so absolutely bone chilling - we'd had a huge warm front come through the day before which destroyed the bit of snowpack we'd been building, and made for a rather nasty 2nd run on Saturday as well. Here's a little video clip I shot while I waited at a stoplight; turn sound on for best effect.

Hoping for a somewhat more pleasant weekend!

Quote | Reply
Slim2nun wrote:
Dec 15 base line 5k 27:34. 1:44 improvement from Nov 15 every one of my runs except base line runs are very easy. Chronologically challenged dude trying to regain fitness at a reasonable pace :) Super happy and grateful for this challenge!

Thanks for update, forgot to remind people on Dec 15. We all have till Dec 31. My race is on Dec 28. But so far progress via 400x10 workout, I have dropped my rest interval by 30 seconds, and hit same numbers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
33 for 33 now.

Today after a hard swim (by the way, I did a 400IM in the middle of a training set only 3 seconds slower than my race, so the race really did suck) I went up to the gym and did a circuit between running and rowing machine.

The gym had one of these assault air runner treadmills:

I kind of like running on them as I wind it up and start "sprinting" (the word is a stretch, but it was sprinting for me). Between the rowing machine, intervals, hard treadmill running and weights, it was a pretty high intensity workout and probably the first time during 100/100 that I was truly running to my current limit. It felt good to run hard as most of my running has been jogging/half IM race pace (which at my age, is roughly jogging for most of you).

Also not sure if I will be going back to gym. With Omicron, new restrictions are kicking in so its back to reduced capacity for everything again starting on Saturday. I just hope pools stay open, or I will be ramping up big time on running (at least with the first 33 days of 100/100 I am ready to ramp it up if I can't do swimming).

Quote Reply

Prev Next