Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doesn't it start tomorrow?

11/15/21

edit:
I see some ppl are going to do a 'baseline 5K' on day 0...

OK, I happened to run 5K today 29:42-it was not a race, just a jog-
HR 123-76% measured max

Good luck to all in this test of consistency!!
Last edited by: dtoce: Nov 14, 21 11:27
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:

11/15/21

edit:

HR 123-76% measured max

needs to be 11/15. then a check up for everyone 15th of every month (till end of said month) for progress on next 5k attempt. Please use same gear / similar course profile
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day one for me! I need this. Been a slug since 70.3 on October 3rd.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
dtoce wrote:

11/15/21

edit:

HR 123-76% measured max

needs to be 11/15. then a check up for everyone 15th of every month (till end of said month) for progress on next 5k attempt. Please use same gear / similar course profile

Nope

I'll post notable "race results" if anything spectacular comes but I'll not be going into deep analysis or anything

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Nope

I'll post notable "race results" if anything spectacular comes but I'll not be going into deep analysis or anything

YMMV

trying to give people some motivation here and kudos for participation.

November 15 = 5k, do your best, who cares what your PR is. since monday is usually not a race day, for sure you will improve, HA!

Dec 15-31 = 5k test #2

Jan 15-31 = 5k test #3

Feb 15-28 = 5k test #4 (feb 23 ends the challenge, but weekend of feb 26-27 may have a race)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

That's noble enough, and the right thing to do, but once you get into posting performance, then it becomes a competition within a competition in the minds of some, and that's when it becomes sour in my view

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming (but check the rules to be sure) you can just use your local time zone for this challenge...which would mean 12:00 AM would come at different times for us. So if it is still today where you are, then just wait until it is tomorrow...which is what I am doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Nope

YMMV

November 15 = 5k, do your best, who cares what your PR is. since monday is usually not a race day, for sure you will improve, HA!

Dec 15-31 = 5k test #2

Jan 15-31 = 5k test #3

Feb 15-28 = 5k test #4 (feb 23 ends the challenge, but weekend of feb 26-27 may have a race)

Why don't you set a synthetic approved " 100/100" 5km race series. Set the dates in advance and everyone goes out on the same day. So in that case (tomorrow) would be "race 1". Not sure i am up to pushing myself, but if I break 30 tomorrow and 22 in Feb it would an 8 min improvement!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was I supposed to run a 5k for the 1st day? I did 30 minutes. I can do a 5k tomorrow, if I need to. A day off.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crap day one and it is snowing! 100/100 weather jinx !!!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Crap day one and it is snowing! 100/100 weather jinx !!!

I feel like falling snow might be lucky, in a way. Man! I wish I had 1 day of snow.

My jinx is that I ran out of regular coffee and only have a macadamia flavored nightmare. I’m drinking it, but I’m not liking it.

I’ll run after I ditch my kids at school. If I see something interesting, I’ll take a picture.

Happy 1st day to everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy 1st day everyone. 9 degC and torrential rain here today, however I made it up to the track for a baseline 5k of 24:47.

I'm not sure what my HR was as I don't have confidence in the data I have (140bpm). I think I may need to upgrade my running watch, it's an old vivoactive paired with a wahoo tickr.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [calumf50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
calumf50 wrote:
Happy 1st day everyone. 9 degC and torrential rain here today, however I made it up to the track for a baseline 5k of 24:47.

I'm not sure what my HR was as I don't have confidence in the data I have (140bpm). I think I may need to upgrade my running watch, it's an old vivoactive paired with a wahoo tickr.

brrrr. once you get going its not that bad, but once you stop its the worst!

#####################################################

nov 15 baseline 5k on treadmill 19:48. I could have went soft, but I need to create goals that are fearful. Force myself to do this, cause I figured someone else would do the baseline 5k for the challenge, so thanks! I feel accomplished on a monday morning.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5k base line: 29:18 Did the challenge about 13 years ago. Looking forward to doing it again!!
Run 1 complete :)
Last edited by: Slim2nun: Nov 15, 21 8:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick update since I have last been active on here. My first 24-hour race got canceled in May 2020 due to COVID - so I made my own 100-mile race around my neighborhood and ran it there - solo. Since then, I have not been doing a lot of running. I’ve been dealing with medical issue for well over a year now (not a running injury). My volume has been down from my typical 50-60 miles per week to about 15-20 miles per week because of it. My doctor cleared me to start increasing volume a couple weeks ago.

I ran a local 5K (my first one ever) earlier in the month. 19:42 as a baseline. Recent mile PR is 5:30. My old training buddy convinced me to sign up for our local marathon a couple days before it. I ran it with him yesterday, which was a little bit above my PR pace. Eventually my muscles started to lock up around mile 20. I guess that is to be expected as I did not train at all for it. I had not run more than 13 miles in a year and a half. I ended up finishing a couple minutes off my PR. I did the ole’ legs stop working – stop, stretch for 30 seconds – run another mile until the legs don’t work anymore – repeat. So yeah, that was yesterday and now it is hard to walk up and down stairs, sit down, etc. Every muscle hurts.

Not a great leadup to the 100/100, but this year’s challenge fits closely with my goals. My first goal is to start increasing volume again and prepare to try to PR the Hyner Trail Challenge 50K in April. Another goal is to finally add in some weight training. I always want to but and never end up doing it. I’m going to get it done during this 100/100.

My kids are now runners. I have a 5-year-old boy, and a 7 and 9-year-old girl. Almost all my running the past 6 months has been with them on the track. The boy does his own thing. He calls it a mile PR. He basically just runs a mile at whatever pace he feels like and plays with the fence along the way. Every run is his mile PR. Adorable. The girls are getting serious and prepared for our local 5K. The 7-year-old ran an 8:36 pace. The 9-year-old ran an 8:03 pace. Not bad for only running a few months. We will be doing a local turkey trot together.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, started the challenge today. Was in for the last two years, the first year I did not make the 100 runs, ran too fast and did not "honour tomorrows run today". Last year I did and made 101 runs.

I always run these half hours at 130 hr, which is the top end of my "rest" zone (that I get from my Garmin watch). So it is interesting to see the progression.

These are my first runs each year, all at 130 hr:
2019: 6:54 min / km
2020: 6:32 min / km
2021: 5:59 min / km (today)

While I have aimed to keep running after the challenges, in reality it has not happened. This is also the reason I need to run slow: To no get injured since I dont really have a run build-up to the challenge.

Instead of running fast I focus on other things that I can do with my 130 hr (one thing is to just try and hit 130 by the number):
- first target was to get to 5km in the half hour. This happened on Jan 12th 2020, about 1,5 months after I started the first challenge that I participated in
- next goal was to hit 5:38 min / km (for no other reason than that this a sub-4 marathon pace) and that happened on Jan 22 that year and then not again during that challenge. In my second challenge, the one that started last year on Nov 14th I would have to wait almost two months - until Jan 9th - for the first sub 5:38 pace time (5:28 which is also the fastest time I have done at 130 hr) and then it only happened one more time during that challenge.

I have no specific targets for this challenge except try to make the 100 runs one more time. Could be fun to beat my best (5:28) and maybe do three runs on the last day to total 102. We shall see!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Nope

YMMV

Dec 15-31 = 5k test #2

Jan 15-31 = 5k test #3

I will do this but instead of going for PR I will run these baseline runs at 130 and monitor the progress. Thats another option for folks, if you dont want all-out runs in your challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [henkedejk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
henkedejk wrote:
synthetic wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Nope

YMMV

Dec 15-31 = 5k test #2

Jan 15-31 = 5k test #3

I will do this but instead of going for PR I will run these baseline runs at 130 and monitor the progress. Thats another option for folks, if you dont want all-out runs in your challenge.

If you ran longer than 5km today, you can take your best 5km in that long run and use it for today's 5k base line
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run 1 was in the books before work today (i know a lot of folks exercise early. I am not one of them. This was a big deal for me). Took the dogs - they were stoked - they probably ran at least an additional mile and got to swim in the river.

As always, i'm looking to get 100 runs. But I won't run myself into injury. Hopefully. Time will tell,

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [mckenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the 5k baseline today at the track on the base…20:08. Great weather! Cold/crisp in the low 40F but no wind/rain…very comfortable with sweats on!

I signed up for Strava for this challenge (to use their GPS synching), and I noticed there was an option to join challenge groups there. Does anyone know if we have a group on there? I did not see one. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that was quite a lot worse than I had hoped. Set out for run #1 with low expectations ... a 3 mile trail/dirt road loop around my village. After a small climb called "The Hill", I couldn't run more than 50 yard segments without light-headedness and difficulty breathing. Yes, I live at 6000' but I've been here for 2.5 years, so that's not it. I suppose this is what I get for at least a couple of years of very little exercise. It's also what I hope participating in 100/100 will help to fix. I'm not looking for anything really except being able to run (say) a half-marathon in the mountains without stopping.

Onward.

Oh, and it was a lovely 67F under clear blue skies here in New Mexico.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
đź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually, I take Mondays off, but since this is Day One, I couldn't let myself start off in a deficit

Clearly, the Challenge for me will be getting out during the day if I miss/skip my Dawn Patrol run; this will mean working around MILs afternoon naps and my work/meeting schedule

Gym days should not be affected

Great work so far, everyone

Quote Reply

Prev Next