Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
I upload photos to this forum from my phone all the time.

👍 Thanks…will retry!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Test photo…please disregard.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100/100. It's Thursday, it must be lake day at Lake Murray, La Mesa, CA. The wiffer and I at the lake. The fog is lifting. Life is good.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
... haven't seen the sun for a few days now, just grey and wet here in Germany!

Did my run this afternoon for a change, prefer mornings, but I had great company!!

Most weekday mornings, either towards the end of my run, or as I'm doing my cool-down walk around the block, there is a UPS 747 that flies over my house on its approach to Philadelphia from Cologne

Then, sometime around 10AM, it goes back

Actually, there are two of them that kinda come & go around the same time as each other; the other one goes back & forth from Philly to England [East Midlands, to be exact]

When it gets really dark in the Winter, and I have my headlamp and blinky going, I imagine them looking down at me on the way to PHL and asking "What's that flashing red light down there?"

Most of the air traffic at that time are cargo planes, but are the Red Eye flights coming in from all sorts of other places as well

Like LA, SD, Vegas, Denver

I always feel badly for these folk; just ARRIVING in PHL long before dawn [I reckon there’s only about ten minutes of flying time left once you’re over my head, and it’s pretty dark “right now”] ... I’m doing the math backwards: When did they depart? Three hours ago, maybe??? So they had to be at the airport when? Five hours ago??? So they left home when? Seven hours ago??? I had just gone to bed, when they left the house to come to Philly.

That must suck

And yet, someone might look out of their window as they make their approach turn to Philly and see a couple of tiny lights, moving slowly past a NJ Transit train track in the dark, maybe in the rain, and think – or even say quietly to themselves ...

“That must suck”

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coyote pelon wrote:
100/100. It's Thursday, it must be lake day at Lake Murray, La Mesa, CA. The wiffer and I at the lake. The fog is lifting. Life is good.

Time to get your daughter and we do a San Diego meet up. Who else is in?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
„…haven't seen the sun for a few days now, just grey and wet here in Germany!“

While the past week was indeed grey, cold and rainy, the sun did come out today. Too bad I only got home in time to see the sunset while heading out on my run.
Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at this point, every day can see great gains. It's like running a 30 sec 100 meters - improving is easy!

Still, 45 seconds faster over 5k than yesterday, and feeling even better. I'll take it. I'll take this, too: the view on the way back, NM41 looking north towards the Sangres de Cristo (high point, 12562'/ 3828m)

Last edited by: PaulDavis: Nov 18, 21 15:35
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in New Jersey = nothing to see here

To be fair - I live in SOUTH Jersey

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [mckenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make mine a double!

2 runs today (both about 4 mi/32min) to pad the stats a bit, and account for a rest day later. When? Who knows - historically I like to string together a few weeks of running everyday to break myself in to the 100/100. It also helps cover travel days during the holidays

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [bacamacho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2nd run today. Def taking the "ease into it" approach. I know the run load will increase in January as IM Alaska starts.

ETA: Having trouble loading pic taken from a phone. Too big? :(
Last edited by: Champalada: Nov 18, 21 22:35
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice picture! Unfortunately, the image makes looking out my window today all the more depressing: very grey, 7 degrees Celsius, and a mixture of light fog and drizzle. Oh well.
But that is also what I like about the Challenge. It not a question of whether to get out there but simply when!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey if anybody else if using something other than Strava and knows how to synch it to this, I would love to also know how! I am using MapMyRun (some free app that came on my phone many years ago) and I have to download the GPX files from their website, upload them to the Strava account that I just started, and then go in to the Slowtwitch training log and click "synch" from Strava. This all works just fine, but I can see it getting to be a pain in the neck after weeks go by. So if there was a way to perhaps synch the MapMyRun files to Strava and avoid the manual downloading and uploading of files that would great. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just do it manually; takes 30 seconds, tops

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that is fine. But if you don’t do it right after you run (which I don’t) then you have to remember to go back later in your day, log in to the computer, etc. And then if you forget or don’t bother to do that for a few a days, then you have to first go onto Starca, see which days you haven’t uploaded, then go back to MapMyRun and find those days, etc. So it just becomes like weeding a digital garden.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's all about consistency, discipline and establishing routine; not only with running, but data-keeping, too, I imagine?

You'll figure out what works best for you

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea. This is the first time I have joined the challenge, so I was just going off the OP which recommended that it was ok to ask questions here about data-keeping and so forth.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another day, another run in the bank. Given that I just came out of my off season, I’m surprised how well the body is handling the increase in mileage and frequency. Probably just the lack of fatigue.
While I’m sure by body will put me on notice by next week, perhaps the last three Challenges have had a positive effect ;-)
If I can get through weeks two and three without incident, it will be a good sign.
Ciao
Flemish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my 4th year attempting the challenge and I’ve never made it to 100 yet, but have had a good start this week. Ran every day M-F and twice today and feeling good so far.
Monday’s run at lunchtime was 88 degrees and this morning’s was 44 degrees!
I think I’d probably have run twice this week at best if not for this challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m 141st at the moment but I’m in marathon training. When I finish that I’ll start running with the challenge in mind. Currently 4 runs, 6:29, 39.3 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [cbump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbump wrote:
I’m 141st at the moment but I’m in marathon training. When I finish that I’ll start running with the challenge in mind. Currently 4 runs, 6:29, 39.3 miles.

Hey cbump, if you sort the challenge by distance and time you are 14th by distance and 13th by time.

You can "kick ass" in any way you want. Number of runs is only one mechanism for "position" (whatever that is supposed to mean anyway).

Personally I feel the main metric as a runner is a distance. Distance is the real effective training load. I only divised frequency as a mechanism to lift distance for all of you on the challenge 15 years ago, because my observation was that most canned triathlong programs were stupid in that they don't have enough frequency in a single sport for SOME points in the year. You can never get good at swimming doing it 3x per week and you can't get good at running on 3x per week. Any real single sport program knows that

But frequency is not that meaningful a metric once your runs substantially surpass 30 minutes and you are training several days a week. The problem with triathletes is we think that we can get good at an given sport because of our cross training....we can't....which is why we need run focus blocks, swim focus blocks, bike camps etc etc.

So sort by distance and you're golden!

My rough goal is running 56-60km per week. That gets me in the range of 800km for the challenge. Not sure how many runs that will take me
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Champalada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMG_7685.jpg 130 KB
Heeey. A Pic from yesterday's run. 95F, super hot.
Last edited by: Champalada: Nov 20, 21 18:57
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
cbump wrote:

Hey cbump, if you sort the challenge by distance and time you are 14th by distance and 13th by time.

You can "kick ass" in any way you want. Number of runs is only one mechanism for "position" (whatever that is supposed to mean anyway).

Personally I feel the main metric as a runner is a distance. Distance is the real effective training load. I only divised frequency as a mechanism to lift distance for all of you on the challenge 15 years ago, because my observation was that most canned triathlong programs were stupid in that they don't have enough frequency in a single sport for SOME points in the year. You can never get good at swimming doing it 3x per week and you can't get good at running on 3x per week. Any real single sport program knows that

But frequency is not that meaningful a metric once your runs substantially surpass 30 minutes and you are training several days a week. The problem with triathletes is we think that we can get good at an given sport because of our cross training....we can't....which is why we need run focus blocks, swim focus blocks, bike camps etc etc.

So sort by distance and you're golden!

My rough goal is running 56-60km per week. That gets me in the range of 800km for the challenge. Not sure how many runs that will take me

13th? That’s pretty awesome! Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Champalada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s a pretty picture. I’ve been running with my 1 year old pup. He’s learning trail etiquette and keeping it fun for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, the water and sky look fantastic!
Since the weather hasn’t really changed here in the last 10 days or so, I won’t bother repeating myself.
Unfortunately, the weather will get worse starting Tuesday: below freezing in the nighttime and rain with temps in the upper 30s (Fahrenheit) during the day. Just a matter of time before the snows arrive.
At least I’ll have a picture worth posting :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next