Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey RandMart,

Exciting account of your run! While I dislike having to adjust for the crosswalk lights, at least I don’t have to try and anticipate trains. Do you get those “mile long” ones, or are they mostly shorter commuter trains?

As I mentioned to Anna S, I probably won’t be able to do any doubles soon. Nevertheless, I have the feeling that I can better tolerate doubles now vs. toward the end of the Challenge.

We’ll see :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
Hello Anna,
I’ve been wanting to put in a couple of doubles, but the colder weather hasn’t been very conducive to this end. Hopefully the more mild weather starting tomorrow will motivate me to do one or two before the “good slide.”
Ciao

I may skip running tonight. Last night I finished a 4.5km IM focused swim set at 10 pm and then by noon today did another 5500m IM set. So in 16 hrs swam around 10km all strokes and before that yesterday at lunch did a 45 min XC ski + 42 min run. So may be a good idea to take it easy this evening. I am trying to cram in a big swim block as we have a 100x100 swim group event on Dec 30th and cramming in extra swimming before pools close for Xmas.

I get my booster shot on Jan 4th
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev,

That’s a heck of a lot of swimming for under 24 hrs. I think a day off from running is warranted. I both envy your upcoming 100x100 swim and don’t. While I enjoy cranking out big swim days, I haven’t been in the water in months, which is my own fault. I also find it mentally difficult to swim indoors and in a 25m pool.
Hopefully I will get my act together and get back in the pool in January. I might be doing an Iron-distance in 2022, so being in decent swim form would probably be a good idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
Hey RandMart,

Exciting account of your run! While I dislike having to adjust for the crosswalk lights, at least I don’t have to try and anticipate trains. Do you get those “mile long” ones, or are they mostly shorter commuter trains?

I don't adjust - the time is the time

These are commuter trains, half a dozen cars at most, going 60mph

They used to be on a schedule where the Westbound [to Philly] would come by 4 minutes after the Eastbound [to Atlantic City]. Some mornings, I would get to the crossing as the EB went by, and I gave myself that 4 minutes to get to the next crossing, half a mile away, when the WB came by

I called it "Racing The Train" Kinda like Superman did - sort of, but not really

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Anna,

Just came back from my run. Luckily I haven’t had any heart palpitations. I was a little fatigued this morning (still am, but it’s better). I thought I would just give it a try. I took it super easy and kept my heart rate in the middle of zone 2. I am starting to feel a little better, so hopefully I’ll be good to go tomorrow. Nevertheless, I’ll take it easy the next couple of days—there is no need to push anything.

Have a great Xmas!

*Fun fact (not meant for Anna): in Germany and Switzerland, the Xmas holiday is three days, with the evening of the 24th usually being the „most important.“ In Austria, I believe only the 25th and 26th are official holidays.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey RandMart,

Ha, ha—I can just imagine you racing the train like the young Clark Kent did, though Clark could definitely adjust his speed 😉

At least they are short commuters, not that one feels any better about having to wait. Way back when, I lived in a small town in the “heartland” where the train bisected the town. I remember how frustrating it was when you didn’t make the crossing and had to wait forever for it to pass.

Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Anna!!!

I wish you, Arrow, Dev, Jane, all the rest of the 100/100 Runners a Merry Christmas, likewise!!!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rare rainy day in san diego.... Santa saves today's group run! Was supposed to be pouring rain but a break in the clouds perfectly opened up for our weekly group run with coffee after. Right when we all finished up coffee it started pouring. (Because the rain did stop, yes I did overheat in this costume (2 more layers under)

not sure if you can view but this is vid of before and after the storm: https://www.instagram.com/...2735971629821021015/

Last edited by: synthetic: Dec 24, 21 13:34
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 40 complete. My achilles healed up by slowing down, adjusting my gait, and treating it between runs. I'm back to my normal form. I've been tracking all my runs like I did a couple years ago. I am at an all-time high for both physical and mental. I was struggling with depression for almost a year and a half - all revolving around a medical issue and having to pretty much shut down running. I was severely out of shape, but this summer I got back into it slowly with my kids. Now that I am cleared to go hard, this challenge is pretty much exactly what I needed to get motivated and put in the miles every single day with no excuses. Things turned around this week and I feel great. I'm actually looking forward to running each day. I would definitely not be as good of a runner if I didn't stumble across this challenge a few years ago. I enjoy reading everyone's stories / updates. Keep up the great work and Merry Christmas.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to hear that you healed and are back to your old self—hopefully even better than before.
Have a great holidays
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,
You are back on track—41 runs! Great job.

I just came back from my second run post booster. I took it easy, but the weather has turned once again: 0 Celsius and light snow. I forgot to bring glasses, so I had to deal with little ice daggers hitting my eyes ☹️

Let see what tomorrow brings.
Ciao
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife made this for me. I believe a slight amount of critique is wrapped up in this image 😀
Last edited by: Flemish Arrow: Dec 25, 21 10:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Merry Christmas. I got my 41st run done today. I am bit behind on my mileage target right now if I want to get to 800km by end of challenge. I may have to do around 470km in the second half. Let's see

I did a final Dec 24th workout that was run - swim - run (got my 30+ min over warmup and cooldown jogging). The swim was a massive pyramid set in the Long Course pool. Ended up at 6000m with 5200m of IM and an additional 150m of fly. This was supposed to be last swim before the 10,000m on Dec 30. My plan was all IM either 200's or 400's (more like start iwth 400's and see how long I can hang on). I was going to go with the 2 min per 100m group as I can keep up with the lane on the fly, depart early on back then group catches me, but I leave before they start for breast, get passed on breast and then get back on track during free. Pool is set up double lane so plenty of space. But now pool my shut due to Omicron and the swim gets cancelled again this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Merry Christmas Dev,

Okay, just reading about your swim workout made me tired. I definitely need to get in the pool. Assuming Omicron doesn’t close the pools here, I will definitely start swimming again in January. It would be nice to actually be in decent swim shape before doing a triathlon.

Enjoy the time between now and the 10,000m
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today I did my annual 25k on the 25th.... it was a lot more challenging than most years...back home in ontario it was 6C but I am visiting my daughter in Calgary for Christmas. Today it was -27C with a -36C windchill and a few cm of freshly fallen snow to make it quite slippery...took me 2:26 and I spent most of the final 10k trying to keep my eyelashes from freezing together but I got it done. It was a triple s run...sisu, stubbornness and stupidity not necessarily evenly split :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is crazy cold. Remind me never to complain about running in slightly below freezing temperatures. And you stayed out there for more than two hours! I take my hat off to you.

Ciao
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might have missed this in this long thread, but what do we do if the Challenge is not counting 2 of my runs for some reason? They are all legit, over 30 mins or 3 miles, only thing I can gather is I did 2 Treadmill runs and its maybe not counting them? But they are listed as Runs from my Strava sync.

I thought you could see which runs are counted when you click on teh number in the Challenge, but I dont see that anymore.

Any help is appreciated. Or I'l have to do 102 in 100 I guess... :) Thx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Anna,

I see that you put in another double and slingshotted right passed me. That means I can start doubling in good conscience 😉 But seriously, great job!

It looks like the temperatures are going up again. Today is ca. 0-1, tomorrow 7, and Tuesday 10 degrees Celsius. I would say “crazy weather” but crazy seems to have become the norm.

Today’s run went surprisingly well. I felt really good. I even had a good indoor bike session right after the run.

Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [abenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Abenz,

If both runs were 30+ minutes and/or 3+ miles, then they should be counted once you synchronize with Strava. I would try synchronizing again, and if that does not work, you can always input them manually. Otherwise, I believe “EricTheBiking” should be able to help you.

You definitely don’t need to do more than 100 runs, unless you want to—which for some inexplicable reason some of like to do 😀
Quote Reply

Prev Next