Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job getting it in! I am 2 days in the hole too...assuming I run later today, which I plan to. Next couple of days will be a problem for me though. It is supposed to be wind chills down to 10 degrees F. I am way too delicate to get out and run in that anymore, so I might try that 3x10 (or maybe 2x15) approach of jogging in place around the TV or something just to not miss another day(s).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am quite a few days off 100/100 pace, but I wasn't really counting on that anyway

Today's run puts me at 43/53 which boosts me up from Bronze to Silver Medal status, and my Post-Xmas running streak at 12 days

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! Yeah, going in I thought I would be good for 80...maybe 90. I figured deer hunting season, holiday season travel, and miserable winter weather would have caused more days off. But here I got through hunting and holidays, plus the weather has been mostly fine, and now I have a fighting chance at 100...we'll see!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big John wrote:
... deer hunting season ...

Deer Hunting Season for me means there I places I don't go, no matter how much Orange I wear, after a friend of mine had an arrow whiz past him on his mountain bike down here in the Pine Barrens - and he was lit up Orange for JUST that reason; didn't help

Don't go running on sandy trails
Please stick to the streets and roads that you're used to

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes! Most of the places where you can trail run here you can't hunt, but...yeah, public land can be dicey. Usually the bow hunters here are not a bunch of ding dongs to where they would mistake a bike for a deer though. The gun hunters on the other hand...I would not take my chances jogging through their woods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question for treadmill runners .... why do you treadmill? As a competitive runner for 43+ years I find running on a treadmill pure torture .... On Dec 27th I was outside running in -39C weather in Alberta. Curious what motivates so many to run on treadmills. Weird thing for me is that I don't mind riding inside (maybe because there is no other option) but it has been years since I ran on a treadmill.

Do you 1) live in an area where the weather is really awful
2) live in a big city that is so congested that you can't get things done running outside
3) live in an area that is unsafe
4) some other motivation?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just found out there is a building on the base that you can run the stairs in. Basically you start from the basement, run 20 flights up to the roof, jog across the roof on a 100yard catwalk, then run down another stairwell back to the basement, jog along basement back to starting point. Not sure how long it would take to do thatā€¦5 minutes? 10 minutes? I might find out tomorrow though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

ā€œDon't go running on sandy trails.
Please stick to the streets and roads that you're used toā€

And definitely donā€™t go chasing waterfalls ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Anna,

Itā€™s snowing todayā€”but you already knew that šŸ˜€
Unfortunately, it looks like the Heilbronn 70.3 isnā€™t taking place this year. Iā€™ll have to think of something else, or just stick with the local triathlon.

Ah, in the AllgƤu there is probably snow, so snow shoeing will hopefully be possible. Having said that, the weather is really crazy. I was watching the Vierschanzentournee in Garmish-Partenkirchen about a week ago and was amazed by the lack of snow. I mean, there was nothing. Even the mountains in the background looked completely snow free. Good thing they have snow cannons.

Since I told BigJohn that running in the snow would motivate me to go for a run, I guess it is time to get my running gear onā€”including some sunglasses to protect my eyes.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev,

Sorry to hear about the partial lockdown and closure of the pools. It sounds like you have already re-acquired your motivation to push on.

On another note, Iā€™m glad to hear that you will take it easy the next day or so. Even if one doesnā€™t have a pronounced reaction to the booster, the immune system can use a little less physical stress during this time.

I ran my slowest run of the challenge the day after my booster. The next day wasnā€™t blistering fast either. But, by day three, I was really to ā€œturn and burnā€ā€” which in my case was more of a flicker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey RandMart,

I would also avoid certain areas during hunting season. I donā€™t know all of the hunting rules here, but I do know that if there isnā€™t good visibility (whether fog, extremely overcast, or just darkness), the hunters are required to use thermal imaging, which makes me feel a bit safer. I would like to think that no hunter is going to mistake my thermal image for that of a deer or wild boar, but who knows.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My mistake, I was thinking of Challenge Heilbronn. šŸ™ˆ

This race looks good. If I donā€™t do Frankenman, then Iā€™ll probably do this race. Depending on how fit I am, I could do either the 70.3 or olympic-distance race.

Thanks for the information!

The run in the snow was nice. I had decent grip despite the snow-covered path. Iā€™m thinking about doing a double today, but a short indoor-bike session also sounds nice. If I can repair the freehub on my MTB, then I will run again and save my legs for the Taunus tomorrow. If not, then the bike trainer it is šŸ˜€
Last edited by: Flemish Arrow: Jan 7, 22 4:14
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
Hey Dev,

Sorry to hear about the partial lockdown and closure of the pools. It sounds like you have already re-acquired your motivation to push on.

On another note, Iā€™m glad to hear that you will take it easy the next day or so. Even if one doesnā€™t have a pronounced reaction to the booster, the immune system can use a little less physical stress during this time.

I ran my slowest run of the challenge the day after my booster. The next day wasnā€™t blistering fast either. But, by day three, I was really to ā€œturn and burnā€ā€” which in my case was more of a flicker.

My third shot was Moderna, and that's the one that causes myocarditis for the 20-30 year old crowd. My gut feel is that it does not have a lot to do with age. That age group is just more active than 50-90 year olds and they overdo it and get myocarditis from Moderna. Well, I generally do more physical activity per week than the sum of ten average 20-30 year olds combined, so I'll take another day off (I took yesterday off) and get back to things lightly. I only get one body and no point screwing it up post vaccine LOL!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
Question for treadmill runners .... why do you treadmill?

1) live in an area where the weather is really awful
2) live in a big city that is so congested that you can't get things done running outside

I like doing a treadmill session to get my heart rate up before I visit the weights area
I use the treadmill to get a feel for an exact pace, vs. guessing while I'm on the road [set it & forget it]
I can watch Jeopardy!

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:

And definitely donā€™t go chasing waterfalls ;-)

Absolutely

Actually, I can't think of any waterfalls in New Jersey

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
Question for treadmill runners .... why do you treadmill?

Force a pace
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
Question for treadmill runners .... why do you treadmill? As a competitive runner for 43+ years I find running on a treadmill pure torture .... On Dec 27th I was outside running in -39C weather in Alberta. Curious what motivates so many to run on treadmills. Weird thing for me is that I don't mind riding inside (maybe because there is no other option) but it has been years since I ran on a treadmill.

I find if I don't run before work I don't run. At 4:30 am in the country nobody expects or sees you even with lights on and in the winter I do not like the extra laundry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to feel exactly like you do about treadmills. When I lived in the Pacific Northwest I would run outdoors in all weather except for icy conditions. I now live in Oakland, CA and the thing that finally made me snap and buy a treadmill was air quality. We had a string of bad AQI days due to wildfires and I couldn't take it anymore. I bought a manual treadmill, (the Trueform Trainer) which feels much more like running outdoors. I have come to really appreciate the ease of being able to hop on and get my run done when I'm short on time/bored with my neighborhood routes/it's dark outside.

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here you go: https://visitnj.org/...twenty-nj-waterfalls.

Your choice of words led me to believe you were referencing TLC:

ā€œDon't go chasing waterfalls
Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to.ā€

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
Here you go: https://visitnj.org/...twenty-nj-waterfalls.

Your choice of words led me to believe you were referencing TLC:

ā€œDon't go chasing waterfalls
Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to.ā€

Oh, totally

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:

I run on the treadmill to force a pace and for time efficiency. I do almost all my workouts before 7am. It's a LOT easier to throw on some running close and walk to the basement than to figure out what to wear outside. When I get closer to my events, especially 140.6's and 70.3's, then I run outside, but I have run as far as a half marathon indoors because of bad weather!

Zwift and a TV to zone out do help.
Last edited by: throxy: Jan 9, 22 2:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The beginning of this video shows the snow that was falling Down the Shore Friday morning; by the time I get got up - 40-45 miles to the Northwest - it had already stopped with about 6" of flurry powder on the ground, and the sun was peeking out

As I said a few pages back "Occasionally, though, that moisture will collide with an Arctic Blast or something and we get fucking DUMPED on" - that was them

After getting D'Wife off to work, I tip-toed out to the street and did the requisite mileage in the slush, following the paths of the cars/trucks/busses that had gone before, until I got to a clear path in the street [oh, the tip Ben Gravy uses in the video, putting putting you feet in plastic bags so there's a waterproof barrier between your shoes & sox? Yeah. I've been doing that for YEARS]

Yesterday, the snow was gone, it was bright & clear, but it was only 20* F when I got up

"It was too cold to run, wasn't it?" she asked "I hope you slept in a little"
"Oh, yeah - no way I was going out, as pretty and delightful as it looked"

I lied - streak continues

I think there's something in that Addicts Handbook that says "If you're lying about your behavior; if you find yourself sneaking or covering up - you may have a problem"

LOL

I'm going to the gym in a little while to run the TM, then do some weights - my body is craving squats

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, you guys got a lot of snow!

I get cold just watching these videos. I canā€™t even imagine being out in the water in such conditions. Iā€™m just a warm-weather guy šŸ™‚

An alternative characterization to addiction in the case of running might be determination, but it isnā€™t always easy to tease out the differences.

Ciao
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
I get cold just watching these videos. I canā€™t even imagine being out in the water in such conditions. Iā€™m just a warm-weather guy

You do NOT wanna watch this one then: Air Temp= 8*F; Wind Chill= -11*F; Water Temp= 33*F

I think we need to work "What's your Claim?" into Running Vernacular

"What's your Claim?" meaning "How did YOU do today?"

There was a dude on the TM in front of me this afternoon, started about the same time I did, but at slower pace

I paid not much attention

A few minutes later, I looked up, and he'd bumped the pace up somewhat, and was chugging along nicely

Not much longer, I glanced over again, and he was cooking

I could see his dashboard, and as soon as it hit 3.1 miles he hit the "Cool Down" button

He took his break, walked for a few, then stepped off

I caught his eye and gave him a šŸ‘ for his 5K

I think he appreciated that

Good Claim by him

Last edited by: RandMart: Jan 9, 22 18:31
Quote Reply

Prev Next