Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said.
Quote | Reply
new zipp 303s wheels and goodyear tires approved on zipps website with the silca fancy pants sealant.

took forever to get the “bead” to seat, freaking sealant all over the place, neither tire holding pressure and the front tire actually had sealant weeping from the sidewall.

i’ve set up tubeless on hed vanquish wheels with the hooked rim design and not any sort of work with no success like this misadventure today.

on the plus side for the few miles i was at good pressure the ride was a dream on my road bike.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said. [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you done tubeless in MTB or anything prior?

A decade in, it’s all usually pretty automatic for me. Just put new Conti’s on some Ronald in inter ten minutes.

Some tires weep through the sidewall for a long time.

The WTB Riddler that came on my new gravel bike weeped sealant for almost four weeks before they finally stopped.
Last edited by: iamuwere: Jul 16, 22 16:52
Quote Reply
Re: go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said. [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:

A decade in, it’s all usually pretty automatic for me. Just put new Conti’s on some Ronald in inter ten minutes.

The WTB Riddler that came on my new gravel bike weeped sealant for almost four weeks before they finally stopped.
I know, I'm a dinosaur...
But, I'm not sure how weeping sealant for 4 minutes, let alone 4 weeks is a feature.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:

no mnt bike experience with tubeless... just my HED wheels on the tri bike. im wondering if its these stupid tires i picked that are the problem. im not ok with doing loops right by where i live for a few miles then topping pressure back off 3 or 4 times just to get a 20 mile ride in.

Quote Reply
Re: go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said. [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Self sealing is great.

I would have had two flats at CassadagaMan but they self sealed.

I would have had a flat at Ironman NC, but I they self sealed.

Those tires that took four weeks to seal were replaced with a far less annoying tire brand that sealed instantly with no leaking. I know it took four weeks because I was injured and couldn’t ride and I left them to see what would happen. If I was in a rush, I would have swapped nearly immediately
Quote Reply
Re: go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said. [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some tires are just a PITA to get to seat.
The “simplest” thing to do (but I’m frequently too lazy and skip these steps and then curse the mess of sealant I have on the garage floor):
1. Mount tire with tube as standard
2. Pull out tube leaving one bead seated.
3. Put in tubeless valve with core out and seat other bead.
4. Add sealant through valve, replace valve core and air up.

This is pretty dang fool proof and once the tires have been mounted for a while they “ trained” to shape and are usually much easier to remount if necessary.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might try this. Put the tires on and fill with air until you hear them pop on. Then remove the valve core - Thurman wheel where the valve is in the 3 or 9 o’clock position. Fill with the sealant and install the valve core and fill with air.

Filling with air at 3 or 9 is much easier than pumping air through the sealant in the bottom.

Once the tire is sealed - it stays sealed if you slowly remove the air and then add the sealant.

I hope that helps.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Set them first without sealant, spray some windex on the rim channel to help them pop if needed. Add sealant and valve core, shake and go ride.

Or just use a tube. They work fine on a road bike anyway. Or live a little and ride tubulars
Quote Reply
Re: go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said. [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Problem with the silca sealant is you can’t put it through the valve. For this reason alone I went back to the standard orange seal, serious pain having to dump it into the tire.
Quote Reply
Re: go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said. [MXGimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People are having issues with the Silca sealant so you shouldn't use that anyway until thats fixed. Many reports of drying up within 2 weeks and the carbon clumping into balls within that time.
Quote Reply
Re: go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said. [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve had no issues with it aside from the lack of ease mounting/filling. But I did only use it for 3 tires, the remainder went into the trash.
Quote Reply
Re: go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said. [MXGimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was the longest you went between checking that it's still liquid and not clumped?
Quote Reply
Re: go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said. [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went a month on 2 of them. In the heat of Las Vegas, no issues at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently went tubeless for first time. Zipp 404 plus Conti 5000 TRs in 30mm with MucOff sealant - running with 55psi front and 60psi rear.

Did a tonne of research beforehand via YouTube etc to learn how to install, top up sealant, what tyre pressure to run etc etc.

Installing was super simple. Topping up sealant very simple. No problems getting tyres seated. So far after 6 months not a single puncture and no problems. I'm converted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sealing tyres that require 1kg of pressure Vs 6kg with an inner rim that is half the width are completely different animals.

I think tubeless was a blessing in MTB and a curse in the road.
Quote Reply
Re: go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said. [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct. That’s why I was asking. It’s a lot easier if you have practice on a MTB first
Quote Reply
Re: go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said. [cgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many months before the previous puncture? I changed to revoloop tubes February 21, and punctured June this year. And it was my mistake. 16 months since I swapped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rookie mistakes were made.

Don't add sealant until after you have the bead set and tire holding air.
Quote Reply
Re: go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said. [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
iamuwere wrote:

But, I'm not sure how weeping sealant for 4 minutes, let alone 4 weeks is a feature.

Call me a dinosaur too but I don’t like Tubeless on the road. With a max of 72.5/73 psi according to the standard. You’re nearly forced into a 27-28 mm tire minimum. Some 25’s do work but most don’t. The tubeless compatible rims are a PITA to get a tire onto, the tires are harder to mount and at the end of the day you can’t get the sealant to seal, you still get to chuck a tube into it. Maybe I’ll be forced or evolve enough to like it on the road but right now it’s an extra mess being pushed by these companies to sell new, different things. It’s great in the MTB life but don’t see it as being necessary on the road until you factor in the hookless rims are easier and cheaper to make, or so I’ve heard. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong though.
Quote Reply
Re: go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said. [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kppolich wrote:

no. you can’t add silca sealant through the valve stem.

Quote Reply
Re: go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said. [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kppolich wrote:

if you're having difficulty mounting your tire, this is a good tip, but if you know a wheel/tire combo work well together with no fuss, then you can save a step and insert sealant before seating tire. The wheels I currently run tubeless are Roval CLX, Knot 64, Farsports Feder, Roval 321, Ron Aeron X, Light Bicycle Trispoke, and Revolver Troikamax. I keep things pretty simply and run either GP5000S TRs or Corsa Speeds depending on the use case. All of these wheel/tire combinations play so well together that I simply push one bead onto rim and in center channel, do same with 2/3 of the other bead, insert sealant with injector through side of tire (no need to remove valve core), push second bead into center channel, then inflate with compressor.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
kppolich wrote:

Why can't you just remove the valve core before injecting? That's what I do.
Last edited by: rijndael: Jul 18, 22 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said. [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
iamuwere wrote:

Call me a dinosaur too but I don’t like Tubeless on the road. With a max of 72.5/73 psi according to the standard. You’re nearly forced into a 27-28 mm tire minimum. Some 25’s do work but most don’t. The tubeless compatible rims are a PITA to get a tire onto, the tires are harder to mount and at the end of the day you can’t get the sealant to seal, you still get to chuck a tube into it. Maybe I’ll be forced or evolve enough to like it on the road but right now it’s an extra mess being pushed by these companies to sell new, different things. It’s great in the MTB life but don’t see it as being necessary on the road until you factor in the hookless rims are easier and cheaper to make, or so I’ve heard. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong though.

The bolded part is specific to hookless rims. You can run higher pressures on hooked rims.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Jul 18, 22 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
new zipp 303s wheels and goodyear tires approved on zipps website with the silca fancy pants sealant.

took forever to get the “bead” to seat, freaking sealant all over the place, neither tire holding pressure and the front tire actually had sealant weeping from the sidewall.

i’ve set up tubeless on hed vanquish wheels with the hooked rim design and not any sort of work with no success like this misadventure today.

on the plus side for the few miles i was at good pressure the ride was a dream on my road bike.

Switch to GP5000 S TR. I run these on my 303S wheels and I've never had an easier time mounting a tire, and this was my first tubeless set up.
Quote Reply
Re: go tubeless they said… it will be fun they said. [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:
kppolich wrote:

Why can't you just remove the valve core before injecting? That's what I do.

Silca sealant won't go through the valve stem.
Quote Reply

Prev Next