Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First Annual Grinch Sprint: 25-Minute time trial on the road [original run-time of the 1966 TV version, without commercials]

I selected a 5K route without any stoplights, so no time would be wasted while waiting to cross the street

I managed to get just past the 3-mile mark when time ran out, then easily jogged to the finish for an average pace of 8:12

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Good job RandMart, but where's the Screaming Tortise Athletic Club bib for this event? :)

Sorry, Anna - I didn't post it separately; it's in the 2021 Holiday Running Festival package

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWjaTamPMfO/

I just need to complete the Naughty or Nice Prediction Run sometime this week, and that will finish up the set

Last edited by: RandMart: Dec 20, 21 5:38
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
I like your bibs and made up events RandMart!

Thanks Anna; just trying to keep Runners/Running weird LOL

It occurred to me some time ago, that making up the bibs and so on, is sort of a continuation of the work I did when I was making up flyers for the bands I was in and venues I would play back in my Punk Rock days

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
month 2 5k baseline update.... I basically hit my 5k base but during a progressive 8km tempo , so definitely progress there. It helped to do skip drills before my workout with looking at my form in the mirror . I do have a real race coming up 8 days but i always have mental anxiety at big races causing me to break down.

How many of you are doing drills before running? Who else suffers from severe race anxiety?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Who else suffers from severe race anxiety?

I never worry if my training has been on point or not in the week or so before race-day, as there's nothing you can do to fix it at that point, and the only way to fuck up is to go & get yourself injured

My biggest anxiety is always getting there on time; once I'm there, I'm fine

I've had a couple running races where I arrived and got my stuff into bag check just as the gun went off, so I've had to zig & zag around & through the walkers at the back

Several years ago - nevermind how many exactly - I raced a Summer Evening 10K on Kelly Drive in Philly. I arrived at Lloyd Hall around 7:15, to give me time to warm up before the 7:30PM start. However, as I walked toward the staging area, I was alarmed to see that was NO ONE around

"The raced started at 7:00" I was informed ['dumbass' was implied]

I did some quick math: 'the folks at the back will probably do 10-12-minute miles, so they'll take about an hour; I should be able to do this in about 45 minutes* ... let's go!'

I took off with no one in sight to chase down

It was an out & back course, so it wasn't long before the leaders started coming towards me on their way back to the finish line. I just had to wait until the last person came by before the turnaround & I'd know how much I'd caught up, if at all, and who I'd be looking for to catch the end of the race

I forget now what the gap was at the turn, but I can remember that I finished 4th from last

* as I said, this was a while ago, when I was younger & much faster than I am now

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job, all you runners! Sorry I have not been posting. I have been silently plugging away though. I am right now at 36/36. Better than I thought I’d be going in! I missed one day and then doubled up on the next…or maybe it was two days later. Anyway. Feeling pretty good. I have a bunch of travel between now and the end of the year, as I suspect many of us do…4 days will be 10 hour (or more) driving days for me. But if I can get through to the end of 2021 with missing only 2 or 3 days, then I will be pleased. Merry Christmas to all !!!🎄
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
12. Up to twice per week you can run a session that is shorter than 30min if on the very next day you run a session that makes up the difference, i.e., a 23min run doesn't count, but, if you run a 37min run the following day, then you've officially run 2 sessions. You'll need to jimmy the run-duration totals in your training log to get the credit (you're on your honor here).

Hello 100/100'ers

I have 2 questions regarding this rule:
1 - If I run twice in the same day, run1: 15 minutes and run2: 45 minutes. Can I use rule 12 to count as 2 runs or it just can be used if run 2 is on the next day?

2 - If I run as following: day 1: 30 minutes in the morning + 15 minutes in the evening; day 2: 45 minutes. Does it count as 2 or 3 runs?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Jonny89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonny89 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

12. Up to twice per week you can run a session that is shorter than 30min if on the very next day you run a session that makes up the difference, i.e., a 23min run doesn't count, but, if you run a 37min run the following day, then you've officially run 2 sessions. You'll need to jimmy the run-duration totals in your training log to get the credit (you're on your honor here).

Hello 100/100'ers

1 - If I run twice in the same day, run1: 15 minutes and run2: 45 minutes. Can I use rule 12 to count as 2 runs or it just can be used if run 2 is on the next day?

2 - If I run as following: day 1: 30 minutes in the morning + 15 minutes in the evening; day 2: 45 minutes. Does it count as 2 or 3 runs?

that rule doesn't allow you to pre-book a shorter run as a run, but to catch up a shorter run as a run. so, you'll want to log your shorter run the day before your longer run.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Jonny89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is also Rule 11 that enables you to do a bunch of 10 minute runs and add those together to equal a 30 minute run, but they have to be on the SAME day.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Jonny89 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Hello 100/100'ers

that rule doesn't allow you to pre-book a shorter run as a run, but to catch up a shorter run as a run. so, you'll want to log your shorter run the day before your longer run.

now curious how the script was written as im a former programmer dork myself.

so i guess day1: 10min, day2: 10 min, day3: 70min ...would only be 2 runs counted, even though averaging 30min a day.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

so i guess day1: 10min, day2: 10 min, day3: 70min ...would only be 2 runs counted, even though averaging 30min a day.

The script just checks for 30min or 3mi, the rest you have to do manually. In your example, you'd have to add 20min to day2 and subtract 20min from day3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Got it, just asked because some days I have to do a shorter run in the morning/evening with my dog.

Today for example, I ran 15minutes with her earlier and I can run (real training run) 45minutes later and was in doubt if it can count as 2 runs, but only 1 it shall be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonny89 wrote:
Today for example, I ran 15minutes with her earlier and I can run (real training run) 45minutes later and was in doubt if it can count as 2 runs, but only 1 it shall be.

Jonny, what you could do is if you also run 45 minutes tomorrow, then you can add 15 minutes from tomorrow's run to your 15 minute run today, and you would have 3 runs over the 2 days (today and tomorrow). See rule #12 for clarification, but I think that is correct.
Last edited by: Big John: Dec 21, 21 18:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonny89 wrote:
synthetic wrote:

The script just checks for 30min or 3mi, the rest you have to do manually. In your example, you'd have to add 20min to day2 and subtract 20min from day3.

Ahh I see, I am one run short but manually adjusting would be on for 1 everyday. Feel the manual adjust is cheating so I won't do it. I am all about data integrity
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean, it's not like you're gonna get audited

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it! Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did my first round of spreadheet chasing today. Lunch time 42 min hard run. Evening 2500m hard swim followed by 30 min jogging. In fairness I wanted to run around 1:15 at lunch time but a meeting got in the way, so I got my target volume in split over 2 runs (which is the reason for doubles for time crunched athletes in the first place outside of challenge spread sheet chasing in an normal running program).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev,

I was pleasantly surprised to see that you were right next to me on the ranking (actually, you were ahead of me). You’ve been knocking out the runs, in addition to all the other training.
Great job!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Anna,
I’ve been wanting to put in a couple of doubles, but the colder weather hasn’t been very conducive to this end. Hopefully the more mild weather starting tomorrow will motivate me to do one or two before the “good slide.”
Ciao
Quote Reply
Last edited by: Anna s: Dec 23, 21 9:10
Quote | Reply
Anna/Arrow - take it easy now, and you can catch up with doubles later in the event [or not LOL] when you're stronger and better trained

That's what *I* do anyway

Yesterday afternoon, I completed the final event of the 2021 Screaming Tortise Holiday Running Festival - the Naughty or Nice Prediction Run

I chose a 3.6 mile loop - to make it EXTRA Challenging, I selected a course with a stoplight [unlike what I'd done for the Grinch Sprint]. I gave myself 31 minutes to complete it; close to my usual time for this route

No watch is allowed, of course, unless you either put it in your pocket or cover the face with a piece of tape or something. but I usually just use my phone and put it in my SpiBelt, anyway, so no problem there

As I ran up the street, I kept a eye on the stoplight; I kind of have a feeling where in the cycle I need to be when I reach certain markers to make the green - by my calc, at about 200yds away, I was about 20 seconds late = I'd have to wait

I got there on the yellow, and fortunately there was enough of a gap in the traffic that I was able to cross anyway

I continued along and remembered that I’d forgotten about the RR Xing the commuter trains use, but they only come by once an hour or so, and nothing to worry about

I really had no idea how I was doing on time when I made the halfway mark, it felt about the same as usual

With just about a mile and I half to go, I was now running parallel to the train tracks. In the distance, I heard the horn sound as the train ran under a bridge about a mile away. The crossing was about half a mile ahead of me. The train would arrive in about a minute, but it would take me 4 minutes or so to get there, so I had no worries. Just as I completed the math, the train came roaring by, and sounded off again. That was taken care of. Now all I had to do was trying to make the light again, and I’d be home safe without significant delay

As I had done on the way out, I monitored my position and timing of the stoplight carefully, but it became clear – even from a distance – I was gonna get there on the red

Sure enough, I had to stop & wait

“Ok,” I said to myself “This just gives us a chance to catch our breath a little for a sprint in the final half mile or so?”
Yeah, right

The light changed, I crossed and leaned in to start chugging to get a little time back

I cruised in comfortably, and carefully counted the seconds as I reached around to [accurately] stop the timer: 31:33

33 Seconds off of 31 minutes, is a variation of 1.7% - using the “Closest To The Pin” formulas we use at work, this would put me in Green/”Good” category [Yellow being “OK” and Red being “You fucked up”]

The Nice List it is!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Anna,

Since I received my booster today, I’ll probably have to take it easy in the coming days. The doctor explicitly said that I should expect a pronounced reaction to the Moderna vaccine. It would be a shame to break my running streak, but if it has to be, it has to be.

I imagine that you will catch up — if not pass by — in no time. Just keep at it!

There really isn’t an equivalent translation of „guten Rutsch“— that I’m aware of. The only one better than “have a good New Year” is perhaps “have a great start in the New Year.” At the least it conveys a sense of movement.

When there isn’t a decent equivalent expression, I find it amusing to use the literal translation. People are either perplexed or just laugh after a few seconds 😀

Thank you for the holiday wishes. I hope you enjoy the holidays as well!
Quote Reply

Prev Next