Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Can you make this set?
Quote | Reply
I have an aspirational swim set. Aspirational in the sense that I aspire to complete it and I worry about aspirating during the set...

3x100 scy on 1:40, then 1:30, then 1:25, then 1:20. All consecutive, no extra rest.

Made most of the 1:25s today, no way on the 1:20s. I did a 1:17, 1:18 and 1:23 later on, but leaving on the 2:20!

Can you do that whole set? If so, what Olympic/ 70.3 times are you doing?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I could make that set in SCM.

I swam a hair under 30 minutes at 70.3 Muncie. No wetsuit. I think I was 17th OA out of the water, 2nd in my AG.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you do it in LCM? How “easy” would it be in SCM?

Two years ago the swim mat at Muncie was at the entrance to transition, not (I believe) at the edge of the lake. We ran a good 200 yards up that hill to transition. Is that included in your hair under 30 swim?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Could you do it in LCM? How “easy” would it be in SCM?

Two years ago the swim mat at Muncie was at the entrance to transition, not (I believe) at the edge of the lake. We ran a good 200 yards up that hill to transition. Is that included in your hair under 30 swim?

I honestly don’t remember that detail, it might have been up there. I also didn’t swim at all for 2 weeks before the race (travelling).

I’m not too bothered about OW times anyway, far too variable based on conditions.

LCM, I couldn’t do it now. If I was in good swim shape I might be able to.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to answer that without sounding arrogant. But, yes I could make that set. I was never a swimmer until triathlons and likely missed my calling. lol.

70.3 and 140.6 normally my times are well under 30 minutes/ hour with a wetsuit. Right at 30 minutes/ an hour without a wetsuit. My times for Olympic races vary so much between courses it seems a useless measure. Heck even year to year on the same course!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
I have an aspirational swim set. Aspirational in the sense that I aspire to complete it and I worry about aspirating during the set...

3x100 scy on 1:40, then 1:30, then 1:25, then 1:20. All consecutive, no extra rest.

Made most of the 1:25s today, no way on the 1:20s. I did a 1:17, 1:18 and 1:23 later on, but leaving on the 2:20!

I think maybe a better question is how far could you get in that set, and what are your 70.3 / oly swim splits?

If you want a really good “aspirational” set, and you are good at reading a pace clock, start at 1:40 and drop 1 second off each repeat. Go til you can’t make any more.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope; the 1:25s would break me at some point and I’d certainly snap on the 1:20.

I’m swimming :28 on a good day at the 70.3.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.

I do a similar set:

1Ă—100 @ 1:50
2x100 @ 1:40
3Ă—100 @ 1:30
4Ă—100 @ 1:20
100s on 1:10 until failure
I swim +/-25 for a half. Faster on a good day, 27ish on a bad day.

That said, the effort I put into a swim during a race is way lower than the effort it takes to do 100s on 1:10. My goal is to exit the water having expended as little energy as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could make that. The 1:20s would REALLY hurt. I would not be able to do a cool down after either haha would just want to die on the lane line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always advise against putting too much emphasis on rep times in scy. Turns and underwater work become increasingly important and it doesn't translate to outdoor speed.

For example I could just about hit that set today and would be able to cruise it when in peak fitness. But that's because I swam properly in my younger days and am very efficient at the walls. I thought I was going to drown last week at the end of an hour session and it would currently be a real struggle to get through 1500+m open water swim. Even at my peak I'm average in the swim. In my last 70.3 I swam 35 min (as a 30 year old male) while the whole field average for the swim was just under 43min. As a small athlete I can't generate the power needed to perform well in open water and all the efficiency cheats you learn in the pool don't help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1200 yards in 17:45?

I could hit the total time, but I probably couldn't hit the times at the end.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today - No. But I haven't touched that water in anyway whatsoever since October 2014.

During tri training - Absolutely and without too much difficulty. Most of the time I was a 27-29 swimmer in 70.3 and a 60-64 swimmer in IM. I think I had a couple of 67-69 IM swims but that was with very little swim beforehand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, and could easily do it in meters when in shape too (which I am happily not at the moment!). Swam 25:55 last HIM (w/ wetsuit).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might give this a shot on Friday and see how far I get. I’m an AOS swimmer and swam a 34:30 two years ago. Previously I probably would’ve cracked on the first 1:25. But I’ve been swimming 5x per week since early September and have been making good gains, so we’ll see

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might be my lunch swim set. Will need to report back later!

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

I think maybe a better question is how far could you get in that set, and what are your 70.3 / oly swim splits?

If you want a really good “aspirational” set, and you are good at reading a pace clock, start at 1:40 and drop 1 second off each repeat. Go til you can’t make any more.

Now that sounds fun. I'm definitely going to try that in the near future!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could make that plus another 3 on 1:15 and I'm a 28~ 70.3 swimmer in a wetsuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can make that in yards
HIM swim 25:43

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I could make that set right now scy and scm. I would have difficulty with the 1:20 if lcm. Retired pro, top-level triathlon swimmer, but not collegiate level swimmer. My IM swims were typically 50ish as in 50:ish. I've been swimming 2x3,000 each week since I retired 4 years ago.

Another set that one of our ex-coaches had us do was...

1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3 x 100 for a total of 18 with a descending interval. You could add a 4, 4, 4 and get a total of 30.

The send offs were usually either 130, 125, 120 or 125, 120, 115 for scm, you'd go 5" faster per 100 if scy. Almost all of the swimmers were 1:05 or faster IM swimmers typically sub-55 for the faster group.

That seems more like a 70.3 or olympic set. I've found that when you get over the 70.3 distance, there was a pretty big discrepancy between some pool swimmers that could do very well on short rest 100s, but did not do well in open water. The Mrs. -JBMarshTX was a good example. She'd be right there on a set of 100s, but I'd be several minutes ahead at the end of an IM and a couple of minutes ahead at the end of a 70.3 or Oly.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I can make that set. I usually do my slow warmup sets at about 1:30. In open water it's another story for me, but I typically do the 70.3 swim in 30 minutes (hoping to hit 28 this coming season) and Olympic I'm about a 21.

I wouldn't focus on even trying to do those negatives though until you can properly, and relatively easily, swim long distances at 1:30ish. I suspect that if you're trying to do something negative like this when you're not ready then you'll have big trouble breathing.

Nourish - Sports Nutrition Made Easy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I would fail mentally before failing physically trying this set. I consider my self a decent swimmer and proficient at mental math, but I am terrible at doing both simultaneously.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I would fail mentally before failing physically trying this set. I consider my self a decent swimmer and proficient at mental math, but I am terrible at doing both simultaneously.

It’s actually not that bad, because the sum of the series is cyclical.

I’ve done similar sets as 50’s starting on 60.

If you leave on the top, your off times will be T, T-1, T-3, T-6, T-10 , T-15, etc. So every 5th and 6th repeat you’ll be going on some multiple of 5.

I’ve also taken a cheat sheet, but it’s easier to just figure it out in your head.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
TennesseeJed wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

If you leave on the top, your off times will be T, T-1, T-3, T-6, T-10 , T-15, etc. So every 5th and 6th repeat you’ll be going on some multiple of 5.

I’ve also taken a cheat sheet, but it’s easier to just figure it out in your head.

Or you could wear a WATCH
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CyclingClyde wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
TennesseeJed wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Or you could wear a WATCH

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In college we started on 1:30 SCY. the first 20 or so were boring, the next 5-6 were solid, and the last 10 or so were hell. I think i missed on 0:54 or 0:55 a couple of times, which is pushing a 4:45 last 500.

To the OP- now I could do that set SCM, maybe adding on 3@1:15 on a good day, and I've swum a couple half distance swims no wetsuit at 27:00. I only swim about 2.5k meters 2x per week these days though...

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next