Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [abenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abenz wrote:
synthetic wrote:
abenz wrote:
I have a question: if you do a half marathon in like 2 hours, can you count that as 2 runs? In theory it's a 30 min run, an hour break (yes, you're still running, but ok....) then another 30 minute run. Yes?
What's the verdict?

no. full stop and restart hour later has different physiological effects on the body. Some people recover well... some people get stiff

I dunno, that seems like an arbitrary interpretation of the rules. You could also say some people might recover well after 2 hours, some might feel better while still running, etc... It seems like the one hour break is there so you don't just run 12 miles and count it as 4 runs -- that rule makes sense.

Also, in theory you could stop your watch for an hour in the middle of your race, and Strava would pick up 2 runs. I know, I know I'm finding loopholes in the rules... :) Just curious what everyone thinks.

Then I would have won this challenge couple of years. My marathon prime days I would do up to 3+ hour runs. All in all I think counting runs beyond one day is silly
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is a run count of 151 possible on day 50?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [abenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello abenz,

I like your enthusiasm. Unfortunately, the interpretation isn’t an interpretation. The others are correct; points 7, 8, and 10 deal precisely with this issue:
“7. You get no credit for going longer than 30min; a 30min run is identical to a 60min run for this Challenge.
8. Extra effort gains you nothing.
10. Runs must separated by at least 1 hour to count as multiple sessions.”

While it might seem unfair, this issue was extensively debated and a decision taken (by Slowman). Having said that, don’t let this keep you from running the 1/2 marathon! The Challenge is to motivate you to run, not ‘win’ 😀
Last edited by: Flemish Arrow: Jan 3, 22 14:46
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
How is a run count of 151 possible on day 50?

'Cuz 3x50 = 150, you mean?

It's already Day 51 someplace you're not?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I wound up getting out there today after all. Main streets were mostly cleared, and the snow on the trees and so forth looked nice!

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
Hello abenz,

I like your enthusiasm. Unfortunately, the interpretation isn’t an interpretation. The others are correct; points 7, 8, and 10 deal precisely with this issue:
“7. You get no credit for going longer than 30min; a 30min run is identical to a 60min run for this Challenge.
8. Extra effort gains you nothing.
10. Runs must separated by at least 1 hour to count as multiple sessions.”

While it might seem unfair, this issue was extensively debated and a decision taken (by Slowman). Having said that, don’t let this keep you from running the 1/2 marathon! The Challenge is to motivate you to run, not ‘win’ 😀

Ok, I'll abide by the decision of the rules committee :). We're only talking one run here either way, and I probably spent more time debating than doing another 30 minute run. LOL.

Hey I'm at 50 for 50 days, halfway there. This Half Marathon will be cake.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My analytics is not as interesting as a couple years ago, but here is the midway point data anyhow. Graphs | Data

The biggest difference this year is I am running a lot less, but doing it as fast as possible while still being able to recover. I am getting a lot more sleep than last time and trying very hard to never get less than 7 hours. Consistency is coming from running at Noon lunch break, then again immediately after work in the 3:00 hour. The only thing I really have to think about is when to squeeze in the other run.

I had a few days where I ran more than three times - usually with my kids. I have them flagged/removed from the training log via Eric (thank you for all you do). Those extra runs still honor the 1-hour rule, even knowing they will be removed. The extra run listed now is one of those, and I am sure Eric has been busy and has not had time to remove it yet.

It is looking like the second half will go a lot smoother than the first half for me, and hopefully everyone else.

Keep up the great work everyone.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why all of a sudden can I not upload manually my runs to the activity page? I logged runs this way every day for over two months. Now starting on the 1st it will not let me log my runs?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Anna,

The older I get, the more likely I am to want to hit the hay before midnight on New Year’s Eve, though this year it wasn’t too difficult. But celebrating an 18th birthday is nice reason to stay awake—especially knowing that the “kids”won’t be in the house much longer.

Have you already gone snowshoeing? I can’t imagine there is any snow below 1000 meters with the extremely mild weather we have been experiencing.

What I really want to know is when I can expect to catch back up to you 😉

Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else having issues logging runs on activity page? Started on the 1st after logging runs for over two months daily?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice job on the swim!

Now I’m jealous. I would love to do the Hawaii 70.3. Unfortunately, that is a long, expensive trip from Europe.

I need to look at some 70.3s in the area. The Frankfurt City Triathlon is an obvious choice, but I wouldn’t mind traveling a little. Zurich or Heilbronn are good possibilities. Plus, I’m thinking about doing Frankenman (iron-distance race near Würzburg), though I’m not a huge fan of downstream river swims—it nullifies any advantage I have over the cyclists.

And Eschborn-Frankfurt is on the list again this year. It’s just a fun race with a great international atmosphere—not to mention the pro race right after we finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice 😊
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Big John,

Great video. The snow and trees look fantastic. If I had that to look forward to, I would have no trouble getting outside to do my run.

All we have is rain, rain, and more rain—punctuated by rain.

Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [1Wavemaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello 1Wavemaker,

If the manual entry isn’t working for some reason, then I would wait a couple of hours and try again. If it still isn’t working, then get in contact with EricTheBiking. He’s the man with the technical know-how to resolve such issues.

Ciao
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right on thanks will give it a shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [1Wavemaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1Wavemaker wrote:
Right on thanks will give it a shot.
Yup, EricThe Biking is the guy to ask if you're having problems.

FWIW, I'm not having any problems logging workouts using Chrome and my laptop.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1Wavemaker wrote:
Anyone else having issues logging runs on activity page? Started on the 1st after logging runs for over two months daily?

Responded to your message.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Jan 4, 22 12:45
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did my first 2 run day in quite some time. Went a little over 10k this morning when it was -16C and then 6k after work when it was +1C. My 6k was with my dogs and they were happy to get out and run for the first time in a while. Definitely two very different personalities ... they are both standard poodles and I have to run with them separately ... my older one (2 years, 9 months) trots along and want to investigate everything so her km splits were 5:32, 5:22, 5:22 ... then when I switch it up and take the younger one (2 at the end of February) she just wants to roll ... 5:00, 4:53, 4:52 .... which is why I don't attempt to run with both of them at the same time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before I was a Runner, I was a Surfer [I still am, in so many ways]

Ben Gravy lives down the street from me - OK, 45 miles down the highway - but I think we're a lot the same. I even say "What's your claim?" to other Runners, who have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about

I tried making a running video once, with D'Kid following me on her bike, while I ran and we just chatted about whatever shit came into my endorphined brain, real-time, but it didn't quite work, so we abandoned the project

Anyway, Ben's link was shot over past couple days down here, so you can get a taste of what Jersey is like [at about 4:50, you'll see the commuter train I talked about up the thread]

Disclaimer: the snow they got Down The Shore [18 minutes or so] was easily twice as heavy as what I ran in yesterday morning

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
[quote devashish_paul
Biking doesn't seem to be so much of an aerobic problem as a strength problem. I just feel like I can't push the watts that I need to keep up with the people I'm trying to beat (it may be that I need to learn how to suffer better on the bike.... high intensity running is tolerable to me but tough bike training always feels like a sufferfest). And you can lose so much time being mediocre on the bike. I am 170cm and about 66kg, so not a big guy. I'm convinced that I'm not anatomically suited to biking.... short legs for my height.

I understand your anatomical frustrations, I am 6' 1", mostly torso, so I can't help but hang over the front of the bike even if it is custom made. I rode for 10 years with this natural limiter. There are some solutions to your problem that do not involve amputation. You have no doubt heard of running economy, so too is the cycling economy with a lack thereof getting interpreted as a lack of power/watts. One of the key differences is that in running we all more or less max out at around 180 footsteps per minute, give or take a few. The difference in maximum controlled speed among riders is much greater. So, speed, perfecting your spin is part of it. Another aspect is your mix of slow and fast twitch. You may have totally detrained your fast twitch fibers, so the ones you have are not working well, and your intermediate fibers have all gone over to become effectively slow twitch. At the heart of economy, is the ability to learn how to relax the front quads right at the bottom of the stroke while at the exact same time engaging the hamstring on the uppull. The way to overcome your natural disadvantage is to learn how to straighten the hip, ankle and knee under load, with no bouncing, rocking, or coming off the saddle. So basically, leg extension strength. Lose enough weight so that you are no more than 2.3 pounds per inch. Ride hills, do sprint workouts once a week, isolated leg workouts and ride a fixed gear early in the season. Your bike set up is critical, as are the components on your bike. If you can weightlift in the off season, why not? Focus on leg extension strength. The problem is not really your power, I can generate as much power as a pro, the problem is what I pro can do for an hour I can do for a minute or two. So, unless you are getting dropped, its a muscle endurance gap. Plan on multiple years to overcome what a naturally gifted power rider can do, and you might be able to hang on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My running partners in their Christmas photo .... does the picture give away which one pushes the pace?
Last edited by: Allan: Jan 6, 22 4:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran yesterday at lunchtime, got my COVID Booster at 3:30PM

I'm feeling fine now, though my arm is a little achy, so I'll go out in a little bit #streakcontinues

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fell a bit behind 100/100 pace around my 25x400IM swim (fell behind by 2 runs) and frankly started losing motivation for running and life in general after we have been thrown back into a lockdown, which means we have lost pools (my primary sport these days) and snow conditions are iffy on the local trail for XC skiing. The reality is that footing and temps are good for running, but I mainly use running as a "last resort exercise options" as I no longer run smoothly without aches and challenges.

But yesterday, like you I had my booster shot. I drove to the XC ski trails north of town and crammed in a nice 32km XC ski with 700m of vertical. When I got back I figured I had 5 min of jogging I could do and then would need to drive home for a meeting. I got home fast enough that I could do 5 min more of jogging. Then I had meetings and when that got done, I figured I could hop on the treadmill for 10 minutes more then drive over for my shot. This put me at 20 min for the day. I figure that worst case after my shot I would do some extremely slow shuffling around the parking lot for 10 minutes, but I actually got there with 13 minutes to spare before my shot, so I actually ran pretty fast in my jeans and winter parka for 13 minutes more....putting me at 32km XC skiing and 33 minutes of running for the day.

So now I am 2 runs behind 100/100 schedule and I am way off my mileage goal of 800km (8km per day, 56km per week). But yesterday's shenanigans of time management jogging actually increase my motivation as I am only 2 behind.

I think today and tomorrow with having just received the shot, maybe do 3x 10 min on the treadmill at ultra low heart rate (like sub 100 bpm) to keep effort down while my body and immune system is fighting the mRNA effect.

In any case, yesterday morning I was thinking, "why bother, all the time management to get the runs in around everything else in life is adding to my stress". But yesterday I tested myself to see if I really wanted to get organized and if I was just not keeping the pressure on myself, or not. It looks like what shook out was, "where there is a will there is a way" and IF I do an Ironman later this year I have to be able to run any time when I don't want to run and just keep running. For that distance race, you always come to the place of, "I really don't want to do this anymore" and you kinda have to overcome that feeling often in training or you'll give in on race day (In 31 previous Ironmans between 1991 and 2015, I ran every step in 30 out of 31....only walked in one).
Quote Reply

Prev Next