Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you can do that, but you have to add it to the day before…can’t be the same day.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
RandMart is right. The 60-minute period is between the end of one run and the beginning of the next.

Ciao

Got it. No Backyard Ultra here.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you bring Stover up (from 15+ years ago), as he's one who specifically mentioned a reduced standard while writing a 100/100 specific training plan.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Last edited by: rrheisler: Oct 28, 21 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this point, it's obvious we aren't going to agree. I cast my vote in the poll for 3/30.

I think the idea that you must reach 100 to call it a success does a disservice to those who cant/don't. There were 723 participants last year and 153 100 run finishers. I think any inference that those 570 that got 99 or less runs failed, is just flat wrong.

You aren't going to reach your Goal of 1000s of participants by catering to the coached triathlete crowd. I also don't think you'll get there by perpetuating to idea that success in this thing is binary (>= 100). If there is a threshold for success, it is WAYYY less than 100.

Good luck.

I'll be over here trying to help the newbies find a way to define their own success, and expand their concept of running more and squeeze a few extra runs in that maybe they didn't think was possible.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 28, 21 16:20
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my last post on this (but, it does illustrate my frustration earlier in the thread).

All I have been attempting to do is put into this thread the compiled feedback from coaches and athletes alike as to why they don't participate in the challenge. You would be surprised at how few athletes are uncoached. In order to expand the challenge, long-term, we need to rely on them as a feedback mechanism.

Honestly, at this point, my interest is in trying to figure out other barriers that the 30% of people who say they won't participate have, and what we can do to break those.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where I live in doubt that more than 10 percent of athlete have a coach. Maybe it's because people in much of the world barely have enough wealth to do this sport forget about laying someone to do an already expensive hobby

Let's say the average coach was 10 athletes we would need 80 coaches with their athletes to surpass in volume the total in the challenge already. At 20 you need 40 coaches

Regardless 100/100 surpasses pretty well all coached groups. Sure there are many coached athletes in the challenge and great it more join but they are not required to make this a success.

I guess the fundamental question is why it needs to be more people?

Maybe it's as simple as more people in the running community learning about this with better marketing. There is a massive world of runners outside triathlon to pull from.

I would say that it is easier to make the pie bigger by pulling new people in who are not in our community already than trying to pull from the tiny subset of coached adult endurance athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking I'll come back to try my 6th 100/100. I believe I've tried 5 times before, made 100 2 times, didn't make 100 thtree times (twice due to injury, once due to boredom).

2018-2019, I didn't make the 100, but my wife did (as she usually does), and she ran "all the way" from the Atlantic to the Pacific (we were living in our van, and moving from Phila to Santa Fe). Recovered from the calf pulls, kept training for a 50km trail race near Pikes Peak (CO), finished that OK, went on to hike 230 miles on the Cape Wrath Trail in Scotland, returned to our (new) home and stopped moving.

2019/2020 tried again, and finished 100/100 with no injuries (3rd 100/100 success). Pretty much stopped moving again right after it finished.

Skipped out on 2020/2021 for lots of reasons, some good some bad. After Cape Wrath I weighed less than I have since I was 17 (I'm almost 58). Put on quite a bit of weight since then.

The big challenge for me, and the reason I want to try 100/100 again, is that since moving to Santa Fe, my fitness has basically been one long downhill. After 2.5 years, I am fully adapted to the elevation (we now live at 6000'/1828m), but any quick blast of effort leaves me short of breath and sometimes even dizzy. I can still do a brisk walk level of effort for a long time, but anything beyond that destroys me. That includes uphill sections of the not inconsiderable mountains we have around us. I blame most of this on (a) lack of exercise for a long time (b) when I was exercising, it was invariable very slow jog-runs. I made an effort a couple of months ago to start doing some short, moderate speed work but ended up overdoing it and getting a calf pull again. Fully healed now. Hiked up Santa Fe Baldy a couple of weeks ago (12,652', 3517' ascent in 7.3 miles) and that was the first time I've wondered if I could get to the top of a hike. 58 isn't young but it's not old either. I made it up, but my fitness needs to improve (hope to do the Colorado Trail next year). So, I think I'm in.

And for the record, I voted for 3miles/30 min.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Honestly, at this point, my interest is in trying to figure out other barriers that the 30% of people who say they won't participate have, and what we can do to break those.

Traveling for Thanksgiving and Xmas [hectic holidays, in general] might be a factor?

Can't do much about that

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok enough whining on this thread.....are you running 2-4 hrs per week right now....if not get your ass in gear!!! Anyone want to run a baseline 5 km this week or next week before and do one after when we are fat from Thanksgiving and Xmas, or thin from rest of 100/100 (or 60/100 or whatever)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gee Dev - such harsh words from a Canuckian =)

I did the challenge unofficially last year and learned some stuff, although it didn't make me a better/faster runner.

This year, I am taking the lessons learned and starting a 50/50 challenge for our local tri club. They are un-Slowtwitch, so we are counting movement, not running. Still a 30 minute minimum however.

Baby steps.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, enough with the whining.

I'm shooting for my super secret goal of at least 60 runs in 100 days. (Now that I've said it, is it still super secret?) That's about 10-20 more runs than I'd normally do in 100 days, so this is always a good push out the door for me.

While I'm never into the medals, it's sort of fun to pick out fellow runners "XXX", "YYY", and "ZZZ" who are logging numbers close to me after a couple of weeks and then see if I can keep up with them.

This will be fun!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

Traveling for Thanksgiving and Xmas [hectic holidays, in general] might be a factor?

Can't do much about that

how is that a factor? you can run anywhere anytime. I have run inside chicago o hare, dallas TX to get 5k in during lay overs. Wash up in the bathroom
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
RandMart wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

Can't do much about that

how is that a factor? you can run anywhere anytime. I have run inside chicago o hare, dallas TX to get 5k in during lay overs. Wash up in the bathroom
The difficult bit for me is dealing with Ms. Tostig and the rest of the family when everyone else has other expectations than me disappearing for a run when we all get together for the holidays.

"OK everyone, I'm going for a run now. Be back in 30 minutes or so." As I'm leaving everyone to get dressed and then cooling down/taking a shower when I get back.

It requires some additional scheming on my part.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Can't do much about that

Good for you

I said "might be"

Some people might say "I've gotta be so&so place for a week right after this starts, so I'll already be way behind before we really get going, so why bother?"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
synthetic wrote:
RandMart wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

Can't do much about that

The difficult bit for me is dealing with Ms. Tostig and the rest of the family when everyone else has other expectations than me disappearing for a run when we all get together for the holidays.

"OK everyone, I'm going for a run now. Be back in 30 minutes or so." As I'm leaving everyone to get dressed and then cooling down/taking a shower when I get back.

It requires some additional scheming on my part.

Wake up before everyone else. Join them for breakfast. That also gives a shower window for someone else. That's what this challenge is about... Building good scheduling habits
Last edited by: synthetic: Oct 29, 21 10:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Wake up before everyone else. Join them for breakfast. That also gives a shower window for someone else. That's what this challenge is about... Building good scheduling habits
Get up early. It's dark outside. It's cold outside. I haven't had a cup of coffee. My dogs thinking it must be time for me to take them for a walk.

I like a good challenge as much as anyone, but this seems like a bridge too far. (One of the reasons I'll never get in 100 runs.)

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI- the site is very slow on FireFox (but on no other browsers). It is also impossible to sign up for the 100/100 using Firefox as well (you can press the button but you never get added). I logged in with Microsoft Edge and zero issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah.

I usually try to bank a run or two leading into the holiday week...and double up again on rentry to regular life. I block out the actual holiday(s) as a no-go...relax and enjoy it. Then play the balance of the days by ear...maybe getting a run in every other day or so, when noone is really doing anything. We usually have a have a few hours in the afternoon when everyone is kinda resting and the kids are getting some much needed screen time. My goal following rentry is to maybe only be 1-2 days behind if it had been a normal week....ideally, I'd hold serve / tread water.

That's all assuming that we don't travel, and everyone comes "here". If we go somewhere else...its sorta the same plan, but I'm usually lucky to get a 2 runs in a week in those cases.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have also noticed the extreme slowdown using Firefox. I tried Chrome on the same computer and things are fine. I would prefer to use Firefox, but unless something changes, it's impossible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crazy that a fun challenge on an Internet forum can garner so much heat. Like dang, do It, or don’t. No big deal either way.

I’m doing It and have no problem with It being 30 minutes. Maybe that gets tough for you speed demons running 5+ miles in 30 minutes. But I’ll be going out and getting about 3 miles in 30 minutes and calling It good. Should be fun. I’m looking forward to seeing if I get stronger/faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Get up early. It's dark outside. It's cold outside. I haven't had a cup of coffee. My dogs thinking it must be time for me to take them for a walk.

I like a good challenge as much as anyone, but this seems like a bridge too far. (One of the reasons I'll never get in 100 runs.)

Yeah and this is why there are so many levels. We just tailor it to what works in our life. Main thing is to encourage people to get out there...once they are out magically 10 min turns to 20 to 30 to 40 to 60 etc. I don't know how many times people told me, "i felt like crap was not motivated, but got out the door....then once I got thru my warmup I realized I had all this pent up energy....then i got to 30 minutes, still felt good and had some time and threw some strides in and then decided to tack on an extra 1 mile hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [cbump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Double check me on this, but I think if you run 3 miles in less than 30 minutes that still counts as a “run”. For example, if you ran 3 miles in 20 minutes, that would count, and you would not have to run an additional 10 minutes.
Last edited by: Big John: Oct 30, 21 19:04
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big John wrote:
Double check me on this, but I think if you run 3 miles in less than 30 minutes that still counts as a “run”. For example, if you ran 3 miles in 20 minutes, that would count, and you would not have to run an additional 10 minutes.

Yes. 3 miles or 30 minutes, whichever comes first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coaches who know their athletes are newbies can direct them to the 70/100 level without watering down the challenge that Dev and others have developed over the years. Let’s not let the coaching (or some Slowtwitch-marketing-to-coaches-campaign) tail wag the 100/100 tradition dog.

Also, since run/walk is permitted, rest days are permitted and slowing down to an aerobic pace is permitted, I would argue the only impediment to doing 70/100 is time and motivation (and possibly weather, but I live in Southern California and have a treadmill, so weather is seldom an obstacle.)

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Athletes see 100/100, and they think anything short of 100 runs is failure.

This is the point. It doesn't matter that we award a bronze trophy to people.

I also would argue that this doesn't water down anything except for the fact that there are a scant few who seem overprotective of the cherished 30 minute run qualification standard. It's just like people who complain that Ironman has "gotten soft" when the meat of the bell curve of participants like the way things have migrated. You can stick to a 30/3 standard all you want.

Also, there is precisely diddly and squat going for a marketing campaign. I'm slightly perturbed by the mere suggestion of it. I just have about 100 emails from coaches specifically mentioning why they tell athletes not to participate in the challenge. The #1 reason is the time/mileage standard. And when I look at the number of people who also fall off the wagon early in these challenges, it *really* winds up being a small percentage that actually see the thing through. I'm always interested in trying to bring in new Slowtwitchers, and new people into challenges. So...we look at why they are the way they are.

Quote Reply

Prev Next