Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can run 3x a day and all 3 will count towards total runs as long as they're 30 minutes, or 3 miles each? I was thinking only one run would count per day. My first time with this challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [bacamacho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bacamacho wrote:
I can run 3x a day and all 3 will count towards total runs as long as they're 30 minutes, or 3 miles each? I was thinking only one run would count per day. My first time with this challenge.

your runs have to be separate by an hour. your subsequent run begins at least an hour after your previous run ends. then it counts as a separate run.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long time lurker, seldom poster signing up for the challenge.

Despite finishing IMNZ earlier this year, I'm overweight not particularly fit, and a shamefully slow runner. My goal for the next couple of years is to develop the routine of regular, sensible training that fits in around having 2 young children. When I look at how our life works multiple 30ish minute runs throughout the the week seems a lot more manageable than fewer, but longer workouts. I'd like to build up to running 5-6 times a week, in the mornings before the family wakes up. So the 100 in 100 concept fits perfectly.

Realistically 100 runs isn't on the cards and I'll be stoked if I can get to 70. But looking forwards to the challenge of the next few months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still 1hr between runs? Some people are already cheating on day 1ā€¦..

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Still 1hr between runs? Some people are already cheating on day 1ā€¦..

i will weed out the course cutters!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will weed themselves out! ;)

As a multi time rider of the struggle bus in this event my best advice to people new to the challenge would be (to echo Dev) encourage them to start conservative and build as you go. You want the graph running "up and to the right", not a moonshot and then collapse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan, but itā€™s more I just donā€™t get it. Maybe people have overlooked the rulesā€¦.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect. Timing.
Fell off the fitness/nutrition bandwagon a little bit ago, and have really been feeling awful lately :/ Takin this as a "HEY [slap in the face] lace up & get on it!!" Absolutely nervous about making 100 days - I've always been more of a weekend warrior (long distance, irregular frequency) so the mental consistency will be my biggest challenge - but you know what they say...aim for the sun; even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm off and running, day 1, 99 to go. I can't quite figure out what year I started this competition - but it's been a few. Have fun everybody. šŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜Ž
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love this challenge. This is my third year, and like so many good things in my life, it was my kid's that got me into it. I'm a very slow runner, and I try to watch my heart rate which makes me go even slower, but I always end stronger than I started, and I appreciate the work that goes into hosting this. Thanks Dan!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but a 5:59 min / km I was just a few meters over 5k today, so this will work :-)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m just about to head out for run #2. Here itā€™s grey, 6-7 Celsius, and fairly humidā€”that is, typical November weather in this part of the world.
And I just realized that I need a new pair of running shoes, which I will somehow manage to put off for another couple of weeks. This happens each year during the 100/100 Challenge.
Oh well, be back in ca 30 minutes.
Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with lowering the minimum run distance. even 2 miles would be more manageable ...this seems to be encouraging us to run more consistently but when you start from very little running 3 miles a day is too much to start.....I do like the 1 mile suggestion but like I said perhaps compromise and make it 2 miles?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am back in for what seems like the 10th+ year but I'm not sure how many times I've done it. I golfed 113 eighteen hole rounds this year so I'm shooting for 113 runs to match that. Unfortunately, I'm in great golf shape but not great running shape. Well, that's what the challenge is for. It's amazing that we're only on day 2 and people are already complaining about others cheating...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [aussiept] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aussiept wrote:
I agree with lowering the minimum run distance. even 2 miles would be more manageable ...this seems to be encouraging us to run more consistently but when you start from very little running 3 miles a day is too much to start.....I do like the 1 mile suggestion but like I said perhaps compromise and make it 2 miles?

i am up for what you all want. to that end, i polled this. this is how it came out:

3mi or 30min: 35%
2mi or 20min: 27%
either is fine: 12%
not participating in the 100/100: 26%

i pledged just to follow the poll. accordingly, we're going to keep it as it is.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
synthetic wrote:
dtoce wrote:
doesn't it start tomorrow?

11/15/21

edit:
I see some ppl are going to do a 'baseline 5K' on day 0...

OK, I happened to run 5K today 29:42-it was not a race, just a jog-
HR 123-76% measured max

Good luck to all in this test of consistency!!

needs to be 11/15. then a check up for everyone 15th of every month (till end of said month) for progress on next 5k attempt. Please use same gear / similar course profile

Nope

I'll post notable "race results" if anything spectacular comes but I'll not be going into deep analysis or anything

YMMV

I didn't get the memo about running a baseline on day 0, probably because I was busy running the Madison Marathon. I wasn't quite ready for any running on day 1, but felt really good this morning running a 28 min 5k. I'll try to get in a second run one day this week so I can get back to the original intent - get off the couch every day for a 5k or 30 min run.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [3TiPaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3TiPaul wrote:

I didn't get the memo about running a baseline on day 0, probably because I was busy running the Madison Marathon. I wasn't quite ready for any running on day 1, but felt really good this morning running a 28 min 5k. I'll try to get in a second run one day this week so I can get back to the original intent - get off the couch every day for a 5k or 30 min run.

didnt need to be day 0. day 1... so you did it.

#######################################

Today day 2, after baseline 5k and weightlifting, I tried Nick Symmonds mile predictor workout. Needless to say I was taxed, but tuesday is track day with my friends so why not. Incase anyone else wants to try, the workout is 400x8 with 1 minute rest, take your 400 average to find your mile pace. Based off my 5k yesterday, this workout is pretty accurately close! I used https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/ equivalent calculator table to find the mile I should have done.

Last edited by: synthetic: Nov 16, 21 8:39
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [3TiPaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didnā€™t get the message about people doing a baseline 5km on the first day either. Oh well, I know I will be faster at the end of the Challenge. The more moderate ā€œbaselineā€ will only make my improvement 100 days later seem all the more impressive ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
I didnā€™t get the message about people doing a baseline 5km on the first day either. Oh well, I know I will be faster at the end of the Challenge. The more moderate ā€œbaselineā€ will only make my improvement 100 days later seem all the more impressive ;-)

It's not a requirement, by any means

The only requirements are:
3 Miles/30 minutes
1 Hour between finish of one run & start of the next
Only 3 runs count per day

Anything else is personal choice:
Using/syncing Strava
Treadmill only
Posting photos

... and so on

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I missed the intense discussion and the poll about the minimum time/distance for the challenge earlier this month but thought I'd chime in for the ST powers that be regarding the challenge structure as a long time 100/100 participant (is there a way for me to see how many times I've participated and the number of runs from each?). It's been many years since I did my last Triathlon (it might have been 2012) and I'm not frequently on ST - other than for the challenge. I've come in to the challenge at all sorts of different fitness levels over the years but I've never been and won't ever be the fastest runner in any challenge let alone this one. What I find appealing about the challenge is the simplicity of the format and the challenge it presents - 100 runs in 100 days with a minimum run of 30 mins/3 miles. Anyone can understand that. And it's challenging.

There are two other consistent themes of the challenge over the years I've been here (other than the distance/time and number of runs) - the people who complain about the minimum time/distance structure of the challenge and the people who complain about the leaders. In the past the complaints about the leaders were regarding the times (like slower runners shouldn't be up at the top of the list because the runs are slow, they are barely running, etc) and then there was this influx of people about 3 years ago running wayyyy more runs than in the past and it became that people are cheating and counting runs without waiting an hour between them.

We are never going to get rid of the people looking at the results and complaining that someone else is cheating. But we can keep the consistency of the challenge and keep it easy to understand (even with the minor changes that have been made in recent years). Extensive threads about changing minimum times, not to make it easier but because everyone has a coach and 100s of coaches are messaging that the times need to be changed are the kind of threads that keep new people away (in my view). And I write that as someone who is away most of the year and comes back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I'm trying to connect strava to training log with no luck.
I get the error: Rate Limit Exceed
Is it something on my side ?

Thanks,
Kostas

instagram | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [fotiad1sk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure I'm being an idiot, but how do we link to Strava? (Apologies if it's posted somewhere and I missed it.) I enrolled and can see the "Strava" hyperlink from Activities tab, but that just takes me to Strava.

Not off to a great start, yesterday was my off day - ha!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
The group effect is exactly what this exists for. We virtually end up with a training group and push each other.....this is outside the well curated training groups under a coach

There are probably far more members on the forum who don't have coach [either tri or running], than those that do

If a coach says "That 3/30 threshold is too much for you; I don't think you should do it" I'm sure there's a non-coached Runner or two [and this IS a challenge for Runners, after all, isn't it?] who would be more than willing to take that spot to rebuild routine, motivation, lose weight, have fun and take on a challenge - not necessarily achieving 100/100, but to enjoy themselves along the way, with a nice virtual training group, full of online smack-talk & hijinks and get as close as they can within the 100 days [my PB is 86/100, set a couple Summers ago]

So, I see a path to leave the 3/30 minimum and grow participation, even if the coached athletes decline

two things:

1. the 3mi/30min is either/or. if you run for 30min and you only cover 2.4mi, that counts. if you run for 3mi and you do it in 24min, that counts. you only have to hit 1 of those 2 numbers.

2. a coach who has a big problem with the 3mi or 30min being too long for his or her athlete is, in my opinion, hyper-attached to a belief system that might be sound. or might not be sound. that coach needs to chill. the very best coaches are those who value the community aspect of training - who get that training with people is inherently superior to training without people, for most athletes most of the time. of course, in the 100/100 you're not training with people, but you're still a part of a community, where the community helps you get to your goal. i have no trouble with a coach saying, "for what you say you want to do next spring you'll probably top out at 60 runs during this challenge." but for a coach to have a violent disagreement with this challenge's notion of a minimum qualifying run, i think that's a coach problem, not a challenge problem.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next