Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Platelet-Rich Plasma injections (PRP Injections)
Quote | Reply
Fellow Slowtwitchians,

I wonder if any of you have any experience of the above treatment on a tendon at all? Hmmm? I have some info on studies where it has helped muscle and bone, but not tendons..

I have "high hamstring tendinopathy" which is taking all fun out of life just now. Physio has helped a bit, as has not cycling and limiting my running to 30 minutes, but that's not a viable long-term solution.

PRP Injections are fairly new it seems, just wondered if anyone out there has had one. Anyone? Anyone at all?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Platelet-Rich Plasma injections (PRP Injections) [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most tendinitis can be fixed long term by fixing muscular imbalance. It takes time as tendons are very slow healers. "If" PRP works, it will just be to speed the healing of the tendon, but it won't fix the imbalance. As you have noted physio helps, as does limiting the problem exercises for the time being. If limited physio and rest is helping now, continuing that path will be the best long term solution.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Platelet-Rich Plasma injections (PRP Injections) [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian,

Yes, I have imbalance. Probably years of it and am working on that. Plus a shocking core. Am working on that also.

Problem with the tendon is that it has now become damaged. It may heal with rest and physio, or it may not. It may require surgery to sort out the fibrous/damaged tendon that has resulted (as indicated by MRI), and possibly ease the sciatic nerve which is also showing signs of irritation.

So I have a regimen of various exercises to help strengthen my hamstrings, not yet on to anything eccentric though.

Obviously I would like to avoid surgery, but it may be inevitable. Whatever happens I will continue with the exercises (or risk incurring the anger of my physio). Just wondered if anyone had any direct experience of PRP injections and if they felt it was useful? I know, it's hardly scientific, just looking for anecdotal evidence but just curious to see if anyone else has any experience of this new-fangled "medicine".

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Platelet-Rich Plasma injections (PRP Injections) [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best of luck with your recovery. Tendons are probably the worst injury in their recovery time. I did have some luck with reducing scaring with my chiropractor using Graston to "scrape" them down. Not comfortable, but the Achilles is now better and that "may" have helped. I was not likely nearly as bad as you.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Platelet-Rich Plasma injections (PRP Injections) [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah - limited blood supply and all that...

I've been out since March (since thrutching my way through the run at IMNZ), so i'm steeled for a loooong time of inactivity. Can't even swim due to a trapped nerve in my shoulder/neck.

I am falling apart. Getting old sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thread here about what has and hasn't worked for those with HHT.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...20hamstring#p2979770

I've suffered with this for years but am afraid of going through PRP until I seriously attack the root cause.
Quote Reply
Re: Platelet-Rich Plasma injections (PRP Injections) [tricaterpillar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!!!!

I shall read this thread tonight - just what I'm looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following an MRI week before last, I was just diagnosed with chronic insertional tendonitis with partial tear of the biceps and semi-tendinosis (ham string muscles) at the ischial tuberosity (aka sit bone). PT identified muscular imbalance, which we are working on correcting. To speed up/kick-start the healing process, I also opted to go ahead and try PRP. Literature and doctor-friends suggest a 50/50 chance that it will actually help, based on anecdotal (read: non-scientific) evidence and experience reports in pro sports (Europe/overseas, and more recently in the US).

Placebo or real, don't know. But 48-72 hours following the procedure I felt better than I had felt in the months leading up to the diagnosis, including times of total rest. Treatment is pricy, and not covered by insurance. In my case, I was fed up with the constant pain over the last 3-4 months just from sitting in the car or in the office, that I was willing to give it a try. Guardedly positive so far, YMMV.

That all said, it was also emphasized that PRP is no magic silver bullet. It merely jump-starts the healing process. Continuing with exercise that irritates the affected area will negate the effects. And the only correct solution is fixing the root problem (muscular imbalance), PRP merely addresses the symptoms.

HTH, S.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quintana who wrote:
Thank you!!!!

I shall read this thread tonight - just what I'm looking for.

Please read this: http://www.cochrane.org/...soft-tissue-injuries
I guarantee there are not 1,000+ people on ST that will chime in on their experiences with PRP and even if they did, this is just pooled anecdotal evidence. (P=1) * 1000 people does NOT equal P=1000. That cochrane review does pool 1,000 results as best as the evidence allows and shows very weak effect.
Quote Reply
Re: Platelet-Rich Plasma injections (PRP Injections) [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for that too, I really appreciate it.

I do have some concerns about how effective it might or might not be, so that will be useful. One of my friends who is in the field of such matters has also expressed a concern in this regard, especially as I would be funding treatment myself. I was just hoping that some folks from a similar sporting background may have some direct experience - totally understand that this would be anecdotal, small sample size, non-scientific.

I guess my feeling is that if it is of low risk, doesn't do any harm, and may be beneficial, I'm inclined to give it a go along with the physio stuff, in the hope that surgery can be avoided.

Thanks. Seems like I have more reading to do...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two years ago I had adductor tendinopathy and did many rounds of physio and massage therapy. Finally the solution that worked for me was a combination of dry needling and extracorporeal shockwave therapy. After two weeks of the above combination I could feel improvement and after a month I was feeling much better and started to return to my normal cycling and run training. I did consider PRP but felt I wanted to try all the other options before going there. Although this may not work for you it is another couple of options to investigate. Hope this will work for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried it on three separate occasions on achilles tendons. My results: waste of time and money.
Quote Reply
Re: Platelet-Rich Plasma injections (PRP Injections) [Boz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a PRP treatment in 2009 for Achilles Tendinitis....I would say it got me back to 75-80%. Unfortunately, another medical complication (unrelated to the PRP) prevented me from following the rehab protocol or getting additional follow-up treatments (if they would have been necessary).

It is a very low-risk procedure. The biggest issue would be chance of infection from the injection sites. Other than that, you ar ejust injecting "you" into you. My insurance covered the injections / guidance, but not the treatment itself. Think it was about $600. I was desperate at that point, so the cash was the least of my concerns.

But I would suggest looking into dry needling first. I had some high hamstring tendinosis last year and my PT suggested trying it. Definitely seemed to help. Still have a little niggle there, but successfully trained for IMWI this year with it, no problem.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply