Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not even know there was snowshoe running. I mean we used do the deal where you just wear plastic bags on your feet and run in your regular running shoes in the snow…but that was like just a few inches…six inches of snow…whatever.

But I just watched that snowshoe running 101 video with the world championship snowshoe runner. Honestly? After watching that I think it looks even HARDER than regular shoe running.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [henkedejk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baseline run Nov 15th was 5:59 min / km at HRM 130
Test #2 Dec 15th was 5:45 min / km at HRM 130
Test #3 Jan 14th was 5:43 min / km at HRM 130

Not much progress but day form means something I suppose. In my December update I stated that I might start with a better diet after New Years. Still have not started that :-) But have decided to cut away alcohol unless doe special occassions for a while. Then see how that feels in a month and then maybe pick the next bad habit!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Temp was nearly 50*F at 3:30PM yesterday and sunset is sliding closer to 5:00 now, so it was fairly pleasant [still wore my HiViz Neon Lime long-sleeve running shirt, just to be safe]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big John wrote:
I did not even know there was snowshoe running. I mean we used do the deal where you just wear plastic bags on your feet and run in your regular running shoes in the snow…but that was like just a few inches…six inches of snow…whatever.

But I just watched that snowshoe running 101 video with the world championship snowshoe runner. Honestly? After watching that I think it looks even HARDER than regular shoe running.

For sure, like running in soft beach sand
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the idea of a event-tech shirt as a cloak of invisibility.

I think here they do work, kinda of. There are so many endurance athletes, no one really pays attention to them. The one exception, and it’s a big one, are the various JP Morgan Corporate run shirts. With something like 60K participants each year, there are a great deal of them around. Everyone else who has participated wants to see what year you ran (easily distinguishable via color).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my case, it's more like "A Runner? Pay him no mind. Those people are weird"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I perhaps shouldn’t be, I’m kind of surprised this mentality still persists. I would think that fitness studios have a large enough segment of their clientele who are endurance athletes looking to supplement their fitness. I guess I expected more acceptance from such a crowd.

Oh well, add it to the list of thinks I’m wrong about.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I finally did another double, so I caught up to you—okay, I’m one spot behind 😁

I didn’t intend to do it, but my running partner asked after I had already completed my run in the morning.

I feel bad because today was supposed to be a rest day, and tomorrow I have a longer bike ride planned.

Ciao
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you count the Wind Chill [1*F] I ran 3x the Temperature this morning; if you don't count it, I ran 1/5 the temperature this morning [15*F]

The layering situation was as follows:

Tech L/S under tech S/S under zip hoodie
Cheap Walmart gloves under Fleece Gloves
Compression shorts under poly pants
Ten Junk Miles bLuff as earmuff
Regular socks

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slim2nun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dec 15 base line 5k 27:34. 1:44 improvement from Nov 15
Jan 15 base line 5k 26:11, 1:23 improvement from Dec 15
starting to mix a little tempo but still mostly very easy, swimming about 3x a week and just started on bike again. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slim2nun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was prepared for total misery on today’s run…to the point that I thought about bagging it. The forecast was 20F with wind chill down to 5F. Well…once I got out there, I was happy to find there was no wind at all. I mean I was all bundled up with longhandles, 2 pairs of pants, 4 or 5 shirts, a coat, hat, and gloves, but it was fine. I have to chauffeur some teenagers to volleyball practice and back tonight at the high school, and I’m considering doubling up with a run on the track while I’m waiting for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today is looking like a tough day....so far we have about 35cm of snow and it is still coming down hard....I am hoping my road gets re-plowed and I can get out for an hour later when the snowfall rate drops.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
Today is looking like a tough day....so far we have about 35cm of snow and it is still coming down hard....I am hoping my road gets re-plowed and I can get out for an hour later when the snowfall rate drops.

With the 1.5 feet of snow here I went out on the local golf course with snowshoes and created my own 400m track by cutting a loop and repeated that for 45 min. Evening ran 36 min on treadmill. Today I will go run "track" on my snowshoe loop and evening do a rouvy.com bike course and transition run. After that I should be caught up to 100/100 pace!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slipped out of the Polar Vortex for a couple of days and did a little trot around sunset; there were a few stray flakes still floating around here & there, but nothing to worry about

It's gonna be Treadmill Tuesday for me tonite

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Big John wrote:

For sure, like running in soft beach sand

..with a brick tied to each foot.

I've been snowshoe running & racing for a few years now, and it's the hardest form of running I know. Tougher than dragging a tire, tougher than hill repeats, especially when the snow is deep and unpacked. I tried my bigger snowshoes for running yesterday hoping for some float, but, well..

Big John wrote:
I was prepared for total misery on today’s run…to the point that I thought about bagging it. The forecast was 20F with wind chill down to 5F. Well…once I got out there, I was happy to find there was no wind at all. I mean I was all bundled up with longhandles, 2 pairs of pants, 4 or 5 shirts, a coat, hat, and gloves, but it was fine.

Holy smokes - I'm not sure I'd be able to do anything but roll downhill in that much clothing! It was -20c/-4f with windchill of -28c/-18f on Saturday morning with a headwind for most of my run down to the market, but I was ok with a couple of additions to my usual: a pair of cut-off wool socks as sort of mini leg warmers (for my ankles, since the shoes I was wearing don't have velcro for gaiters), an extra poly wicking shirt over a (fairly thick) merino wool longsleeve, and a merino wool tubular gaiter worn as a hood. The NB tights I wore do have a wool lining, and I wore one of my thicker fleece skirts, but I stayed quite warm even though the tips of my mittens and the tubular gaiter froze solid (the latter around my neck where sweat vapor escapes the collar of my jacket).

It got a little sketchy because the deep cold meant that my screw shoes struggled with the worst ice I've ever seen on that trail, and I was upset my phone noped out on me (shut down due to the chill) so I couldn't get photos...so I went back for a little walk with my husband later to show him and get some pics.

Second run was right after the walk - still -17c/1f, on more ice-covered but beautifully moonlit trails

While I was out, I noticed one of my spikes was jingling a lot more than usual and felt a little looser than I expect on my shoe - my foot also slipped sideways a teensy bit here and there, which was a bit confusing as I could still hear and feel the spikes biting into the ice. It wasn't really bad, and I didn't think I'd be able to sort it out in the frozen darkness with nothing but mittens and a handheld light I was trying out. When I got home I found the problem: a link had snapped, possibly due to the cold. It was at the outside of my foot, so the slipping I'd felt was actually my shoe sliding sideways on top of the spike plate.

As you can see on the right, I was able to fashion a new link from a cotter pin, and would have to hope it'd hold up for Sunday.

I started off with a beautiful sun-filled romp around one of our favourite conservation areas - I hadn't been there in awhile, and it was just lovely to go visit such a gorgeous place.

I finished up just before sunset, looking extra dramatic as a line of cloud poured in over the reservoir:

The spikes held up! I didn't actually see any concerning wear on my shadetree link when inspecting afterward, but I said I wanted to keep to some simpler, maybe groomed trail for the second run as it would be in the dark and there's just nowhere to go that wasn't icy.

I, uhh...didn't stick to groomed trail.

..but I didn't die, and my spike repair still seems to be going strong.

Got my first xc ski of the year in yesterday: quite literally just up my street and over a couple of blocks to the mailbox to post out some cheques for work, with a loop through the park and schoolyard on the way back. The wind was vicious and the snow was the deepest I've ever skied in: I think out of a mile I got maybe 5 whole strides of actual kick-and-glide (where wind had thinned the snow down), whereas the rest was basically hiking/postholing with poles in my hands and planks on my feet.

Then, the snowshoe run just before sunset. I tried the whole "stomp myself a path then go back over it", but the wind had filled in my tracks by the time I got back to them. I ran on the roads so I could use wheeltracks, then had to dodge the plows coming through to finally dig us out (around 5pm). At least the sunset was pretty!

..and of course, there's more than one way to gauge snow depth.

It was a little easier running around the neighbourhood today as the roads have all been plowed and a lot of sidewalks cleared, but still very much "trail shoes required" out there and a bit of postholing where nobody has cared enough to lift a finger against the foot-plus-deep banks.

Last edited by: mistressk: Jan 18, 22 15:17
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
You're just amazing Mistressk.

"K-mazing"

Can we make that a thing?

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to work at an ad agency; 'branding' is kinda my thing [when I'm not making up band names LOL]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had my best run of the challenge tonight. It was a cold crappy day here on the eastern seaboard of the US. I spent most of the day convincing myself to just blow it off. Then...I wound up going out for a run.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
Question for treadmill runners .... why do you treadmill? As a competitive runner for 43+ years I find running on a treadmill pure torture .... On Dec 27th I was outside running in -39C weather in Alberta. Curious what motivates so many to run on treadmills. Weird thing for me is that I don't mind riding inside (maybe because there is no other option) but it has been years since I ran on a treadmill.

Do you 1) live in an area where the weather is really awful
2) live in a big city that is so congested that you can't get things done running outside
3) live in an area that is unsafe
4) some other motivation?[/quote]

4) When I need to run and there's no-one else to look after my kids, when it's raining heavily, or when I want to do a structured interval workout (traffic lights/intersections and traffic are an issue. There is no track near me).

You'll find this weird, but I live where the temperature is not an issue for running, nor is the daylight or lack of it an issue, (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia). I have a treadmill that was a gift from a neighbour who wasn't using it. At the time, my kids were 3 and 5 and my wife worked early mornings (from 5 am). I ran on the treadmill to be able to run when she was at work and before the kids woke up. The rest of the day I was either caring for the kids or working. As the kids have grown, my wife still works shift work (more nights and less early mornings) and I am able to run when she's at work and the kids are asleep (or, at least in bed - I'm often interrupted by a little person trying to find any excuse to stay up). More recently I'm inclined to plan my run outdoors when my wife's home, but the exception is when it's raining heavily. I'll run in the rain, but prefer not to run in a heavy downpour/storm (which are common here).

I am not a serious runner and haven't raced a triathlon since my son was 1. I started training again in November to lose weight, get fit and with a distant hope of doing a tri again one day. After 18 months of not running an doing little of any other kind of exercise, I decided to shoot for 50/100 in the Challenge. Being so unfit, I found that the treadmill was the perfect way to start, and using an NPE Runn, paired with Zwift, I am more engaged on the treadmill than before. Like you, I don't mind training on the bike indoors, but I've enjoyed it more since the advent of smart training apps and I'm also enjoying the treadmill more with Zwift.

Last edited by: tribern: Jan 21, 22 4:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big John wrote:
Had my best run of the challenge tonight. It was a cold crappy day here on the eastern seaboard of the US. I spent most of the day convincing myself to just blow it off. Then...I wound up going out for a run.

Yep, that's how it works

I too, went for a little trot as some flurries started; nothing accumulated

Wednesday was 50*F, yesterday was 40, today will maybe get mid-/upper-20s. It's a rollercoaster of clothing decisions

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [tribern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribern,

That is an awesome way to approach the challenge (and running/life in general!). I like how your focus is on finding way to run/bike without adversely impacting your family - with a side benefit of excellent modelling to your kids! I agree with you on how Zwift/smart trainers have made a real difference in creating engaging ways to train indoors - keep up the great work!

As an aside, I read NPE treadmill as 'No Perceived Exertion" and thought that might be the type of treadmill I need :)

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [tribern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tribern wrote:

You'll find this weird, but I live where the temperature is not an issue for running, nor is the daylight or lack of it an issue, (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia). I have a treadmill that was a gift from a neighbour who wasn't using it. At the time, my kids were 3 and 5 and my wife worked early mornings (from 5 am). I ran on the treadmill to be able to run when she was at work and before the kids woke up. The rest of the day I was either caring for the kids or working. As the kids have grown, my wife still works shift work (more nights and less early mornings) and I am able to run when she's at work and the kids are asleep (or, at least in bed - I'm often interrupted by a little person trying to find any excuse to stay up). More recently I'm inclined to plan my run outdoors when my wife's home, but the exception is when it's raining heavily. I'll run in the rain, but prefer not to run in a heavy downpour/storm (which are common here).

Nice. That pretty much sums up my situation. My wife and I work opposite hours. I have a busy work schedule during the day, and she has a busy work schedule most evenings. With three young kids, it is impossible for me to throw down 70-mile weeks while leaving the house.

I run in the garage and am always available for my kids. They ride bike, skateboard, sled etc while I watch them from the treadmill.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Monthly 5k check in.

nov 15: 3.11 mi @ 6:22 mi /pace
dec 28: 3.17 mi @ 6:20 mi/pace (course 50-100m longer depending whose gps)
jan 22: 3.10 mi @ 6:25 pace

no progress, sort of. 2 weeks ago had stomach virus where i could not eat at all to fuel training. even missed a day of running the minimum (could only do a mile). today made up this missed run with warm up 5k, then 5k race. A goal sub 19:30, B sub 20, C just finish.... B achieved @ 19:53

Here is a pic with some fellow local tri club members

Last edited by: synthetic: Jan 22, 22 9:50
Quote Reply

Prev Next