Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First week is in the books. I'm very happy with it. I've been struggling with consitency all summer so I'm glad to have this challenge to build up on. 80% of my week was Z2. My legs feel fine. Left one's always a bit more of a challenge for the soleus and hip flexors, but I plan on keeping intensity in check. My goal is just to run more, more often. I'm shooting for 175 runs, 5k at a time.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
👍
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Day 7 and 7 Runs in the log
White Mountains, AZ
Lows @ high 20's, Highs @ high 60's F
All runs @ Elevation 6,500' to 8,500'
About 50/50 split between Trail & Road surface
Trails are SUPER ROCKY this year due to heavy Summer rains

Fool Hollow Lake - This would be right turn out channel @ swim start for Deuces Wild Triathlon all courses

This would be 1st climb up to Green Water Tank in Deuces Wild Xterra Mnt Bike Tri
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry images are not loading for some reason?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Week 1 done and dusted. 3 runs, all slow and easy. Just as planned. Embarrassingly, that was the most running in a week I've managed for 12 weeks.

Bring on week 2, target is a manageable 4 runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [bullfrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
👍
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [bullfrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to have week one under my belt (now's there a phrase with an interesting history!). Just finished run #7 and it was scary. Sun had mostly set, moon was not up, and it was dark as hell out there (rural NM, there are no lights here).There's a bridge I have to cross that is a bit tricky even by day, and I had to slow down to make sure I missed all the obstacles. Still, all done now, 21 miles in my legs, each day a little better. Tomorrow, I'll make another attempt at "The Hill" which just destroyed me on day #1 of 100/100 (it's a tiny hill, I'm just really out shape).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My scenery doesn't change much since I limit my time in the cold and eventual snow, but today it did. Updated from my rusty motorized treadmill to a Assault Fitness AirRunner Elite and it is amazing. Over the years I've tried to use my Garmin watch, Stryd shoe pod, and the Runn treadmill sensor with no success for pace and distance. Connecting the treadmill directly to Zwift through an ipad, I finally have a solution that seems to work. The pace, distance, perceived effort and heart rate actually match my outdoor efforts. The treadmill connects directly with the Zwift app which is nice. It is also a much more natural stride with the curve, highly recommend if you are in the market for a new treadmill. A bit spendy but did have a Black Friday deal of $500 off and arrived at my house in less than a week.

94 runs to go in this room! Training for the Houston marathon so sticking to one run per day rather than being competitive as I have in the past few years going well over 100. It's freeing!

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't seem to get the Strava integration to link. I press the button to connect to Strava and nothing happens. I do have a Circle with hash after that if I try to press again.
I've tried this on 2 different browsers.
any suggestions appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7-for-7 in Week 1

I might take today off, as I usually do on Mondays ... we'll see

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great jobs so far, runners! FYI, I think I will be using the 10-day metric week to track this for myself. That way it breaks down neatly into 10 weeks and is less dicking around with Strava and uploading and downloading files and so forth...i.e. I will just do it at the end of each week, which I think is OK per one of the earlier posts in here from the challenge organizer.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [TriNSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNSki wrote:
can't seem to get the Strava integration to link. I press the button to connect to Strava and nothing happens. I do have a Circle with hash after that if I try to press again.
I've tried this on 2 different browsers.
any suggestions appreciated!

I don't really have any suggestions other to say that it did work for me on the Microsoft Edge browser. I just followed the instructions in the very first post in the thread. The Strava -> Slowtwitch sync worked very nicely for me. I think I did it on Day 3, and again on Day 8 (today), and it automatically can tell which ones are already uploaded and which ones are new...cool! But I have to move everything from MapMyRun -> Strava manually...that is kind of a pain, though I am hopeful that there may be a way to automate that part too.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [wjoiner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm fortunate to have had some of the most beautiful scenery there is for a double run on Saturday - the first one was a rather last-minute trail race: distances were not published in advance, you got to choose "short, medium, or long" when you showed up. The short loop turned out to be 6km; the medium was supposed to be 14km (was actually a bit more than 15k); the "long" option was one of each loop. So, I did the medium loop for the race portion...though I'm in no position to race, as I'm still carrying a lot of fatigue, so I just hung out with a couple of friends who were taking it easy as well. Plus, this was a course to savour!

The race was at Dundas Valley Conservation Area, which is a 1,200ha preserve of Carolinian forest with a 40km trail system of its own, plus the Bruce Trail runs through it as well. There are multiple creeks and waterfalls, and several annual trail races held in its loving embrace.

One of the prettiest spots - there's a house near the top of this rill, just below a small waterfall

I seriously love this place, in all its limestone-studded glory

Canterbury Falls is situated on a lovely little singletrack Bruce Side Trail and a favourite destination in the park

Sherman Falls required a couple of hundred metres of deviation from the actual course, but is always worth the visit (as my companions agreed)

Its surroundings are quite lovely as well

The mud was a little nasty in places

The creek crossings got pretty squishy after a couple of hundred feet had splashed through them

I swear I gained 10lbs per shoe through some sections

It's been quite a rainy autumn

Myself and the two lovely ladies I hung with for the Medium course - we ended up with 15.5km, and almost 400m of elevation gain

After I was done the "race", I would have ended up hanging around anyway, as my husband was volunteering at the start/finish aid station making hot chocolate and chicken noodle soup to warm people up on the chilly afternoon (the high was 4c/39f). So a little more than an hour after I got in, I headed back out again: I'd have done the 6k "short" loop as well, but a volunteer had already swept that course, and it involved rail trail...definitely not the reason I come to Dundas Valley! I just did a 5.6k out-and-back on the Spring Creek Trail, to give me a total of a half marathon for the day (plus another 110m of elevation).

I was able to pick up a couple of flags that the sweep had missed

The fall colours were past their best, but still beautiful

One of the many bridges over Spring Creek

If I hadn't gone back out, I never would have seen this incredibly impressive root system, clinging to the bank of Spring Creek

Signs of a day well spent

I was feeling a bit beat up after Saturday's fun, so just did a single trail run in the miserable, cold rain yesterday.

The Speed River living up to its name

The wet fall has led to a banner year for fungus growth - turkey tails abound!

My right knee (which went bad on me with 37hrs to go in the 72hr last month) was pretty grouchy yesterday before I ran, but actually improved to almost perfect afterward - a little niggle still there today, but hopefully it'll right itself again once I convince myself to step out into the 50kph+ gusting wind this afternoon..

Last edited by: mistressk: Nov 22, 21 9:21
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When it’s so dark out, do you not run with a headlamp and/or a flashlight?
I use a headlamp even when the street lights are on. First, it helps alert others to my presence, and second, I can simply see obstacles or uneven pavement better. Quite often I use both the headlamp and a flashlight or bike light held in the hand.
Anyway, this is just a recommendation.
Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sun actually decided to show itself for about two hours. While not the most inspiring photo, here is a picture from today’s run with my neighbor.
Edit: okay, that didn’t work. It tired to upload a photo from phone.
Last edited by: Flemish Arrow: Nov 22, 21 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a flashing red tail light and a reflective vest on for "safety". But I honestly had hoped I would be able to see in the dark. Some of the error was forgetting that moonrise was going to an hour later than the previous night; had the moonrise been the same time, I think things would have been fine.

A couple of years ago I tried a local night run on a (rare) cloudy, moon-free night here, and it was UNBELIEVABLY dark. Dark like "inside of an unlit closest in an unlit basement" dark. For that one, I realized early enough, I turned around early.

But yeah, if I have to do this again, I'll wear a headlamp.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job to all! Some beautiful photos of where you all run. I'm really enjoying this running challenge so far - first timer to the 100/100. Got my 8th run this morning. Majority of my runs are inside on Zwift, but I ventured outside yesterday and ran in this:

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, i can relate. I had a similar experience during my first Challenge several years ago. It was so dark that I was basically slow jogging while staring at the ground to make sure I didn’t trip over anything. That was the reason I started bringing some kind of light source. Luckily, nothing bad happened.
Be safe out there 💡
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you seem to have the same weather as I’m experiencing, might I ask where you are in Germany?
I’m in FFM.
Tonight we’ll hit -3 Celsius, so I’ll try to shift my run to the afternoon 😀
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [ljgraham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
👍
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I'm looking for clarification please. I've read the rules and all posts in this thread. I'm using the 100/100 as motivation to get back to training consistently. My goal is 50/100, and my plan is to run 15 minutes twice a day, until I've built the fitness and stamina to run the minimum 30 minutes in 1 run. (I'm coming back from 18 months of no running and very little of anything else).

On my first 3 runs I've walked 5 minutes to warm up, then ran a total of 15 minutes, and walked the remainder of my route home
In Reply To:
, or if on a treadmill, for another 15 minutes to make a 35 minute workout.

My question is, do I need to add up and log the 2 x 15 minutes of running and the distance I ran, or can I just sync both run-walks through Strava and be done?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [tribern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tribern wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for clarification please. I've read the rules and all posts in this thread. I'm using the 100/100 as motivation to get back to training consistently. My goal is 50/100, and my plan is to run 15 minutes twice a day, until I've built the fitness and stamina to run the minimum 30 minutes in 1 run. (I'm coming back from 18 months of no running and very little of anything else).

On my first 3 runs I've walked 5 minutes to warm up, then ran a total of 15 minutes, and walked the remainder of my route home
In Reply To:
, or if on a treadmill, for another 15 minutes to make a 35 minute workout.

My question is, do I need to add up and log the 2 x 15 minutes of running and the distance I ran, or can I just sync both run-walks through Strava and be done?

i think you'll probably need to hack it manually, in the training log. but i defer to those more knowledgeable.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great pics

If I sort by duration, the #1 person seems a little fishy. Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [tribern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great plan, tribern! Regarding the 2x15 minutes and Starva synching, I am considering doing that on Thanksgiving, so I can report back then with how it works if no one responds before.
Quote Reply

Prev Next