Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Elite Direto Owners Thread
Quote | Reply
Wanted to start a thread for Elite Direto owners to discuss their experiences.

I received my Direto a few days ago (coming from a Kickr). Overall, I like it, especially for the price, but I have noticed a few “quirks” as compared to the Kickr.

(1) Whereas in erg mode the Kickr used to keep actual power precisely at the target power (or at least the actual power reading), the Direto bounces around +/- 20 watts throughout the ride (example of a Direto ride from earlier today). I imagine this is actually more accurate than the Kickr’s way of displaying power, since I find it hard to believe the Kickr actually kept actual power precisely aligned to target (example of a Kickr ride from a few days ago).

(2) Bigger issue is that it seems that you really have to select the right gear even in erg mode, i.e., there seems to be a minimum power for each gear selection and cadence. If I’m on the big chainring, it’s just not possible for me to spin at lower than 130 watts such as during warm-up / recovery. Some combos are impossible to achieve, namely high wattage but low cadence. For example, during a Sufferfest ride earlier today, one of the drills called for 120% FTP @ 50 rpm. Even after shifting into the most difficult gear combination, there was no way I could get above 200 watts @ 50 rpm.

(3) My bike seems to flex a lot on the Direto, whereas on the Kickr it would be more or less rigid. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing - I’ve read conflicting viewpoints on Slowtwitch.

Are fellow Direto owners experiencing the same quirks? How are you liking your trainer overall?
Last edited by: JonathanNYC: Feb 20, 18 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JonathanNYC wrote:
Wanted to start a thread for Elite Direto owners to discuss their experiences.

I received my Direto a few days ago (coming from a Kickr). Overall, I like it, especially for the price, but I have noticed a few “quirks” as compared to the Kickr.

(1) Whereas in erg mode the Kickr used to keep actual power precisely at the target power (or at least the actual power reading), the Direto bounces around +/- 20 watts throughout the ride (example of a Direto ride from earlier today). I imagine this is actually more accurate than the Kickr’s way of displaying power, since I find it hard to believe the Kickr actually kept actual power precisely aligned to target (example of a Kickr ride from a few days ago).

(2) Bigger issue is that it seems that you really have to select the right gear even in erg mode, i.e., there seems to be a minimum power for each gear selection and cadence. If I’m on the big chainring, it’s just not possible for me to spin at lower than 130 watts such as during warm-up / recovery. Some combos are impossible to achieve, namely high wattage but low cadence. For example, during a Sufferfest ride earlier today, one of the drills called for 120% FTP @ 50 rpm. Even after shifting into the most difficult gear combination, there was no way I could get above 200 watts @ 50 rpm.

(3) My bike seems to flex a lot on the Direto, whereas on the Kickr it would be more or less rigid. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing - I’ve read conflicting viewpoints on Slowtwitch.

Are fellow Direto owners experiencing the same quirks? How are you liking your trainer overall?

I've had mine since October. I've never used ERG mode because I I don't get a machine to manage my power output when I'm riding outside so I don't use it inside.

As for point 2, I don't see that at all. I am often in the big ring and under 100 watts during recoveries or cooldowns. I don't ever do 50rpm on purpose, but I've often been in the 280w range at 70.

That said I have found that the trainer seems to "like" higher wattages in the little ring more than the big for some reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply


found this on GPlama's site..
https://gplama.blogspot.my/...er-guide-gplama.html and look at the direto on the "wattage floor"

so it does seem like you need to hit specific speeds(?) to get the power. I presume that it means at 10kmh, your cadence will dictate you will get 32Watt or 216 Watt









@ marklemcd - if you're never gonna use ERG mode, may I know why you chose the direto instead of the Kura for instance. The Kura is as good as (i think) and the power accuracy is +/-1% but doesn't do ERG mode.


I'm debating a new trainer (coming from a B60R) and while I would like ERG mode, I'm thinking if I'm able to "survive" on it judging on how poor my form is and not being able to hold the wattages in an interval. There's NO bail switch unlike a dumb trainer. (i'm assuming since I've never actually ridden a erg mode trainer)


Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [myjunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
myjunk wrote:


found this on GPlama's site..
https://gplama.blogspot.my/...er-guide-gplama.html and look at the direto on the "wattage floor"

so it does seem like you need to hit specific speeds(?) to get the power. I presume that it means at 10kmh, your cadence will dictate you will get 32Watt or 216 Watt









@ marklemcd - if you're never gonna use ERG mode, may I know why you chose the direto instead of the Kura for instance. The Kura is as good as (i think) and the power accuracy is +/-1% but doesn't do ERG mode.


I'm debating a new trainer (coming from a B60R) and while I would like ERG mode, I'm thinking if I'm able to "survive" on it judging on how poor my form is and not being able to hold the wattages in an interval. There's NO bail switch unlike a dumb trainer. (i'm assuming since I've never actually ridden a erg mode trainer)



Really just came down to reading dcrainmakers review and I couldn’t tell whether the kurno would adjust resistance automatically if I did zwift.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand the Kickr broadcasts target power, not actual power output, hence the super smooth graphs.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
Really just came down to reading dcrainmakers review and I couldn’t tell whether the kurno would adjust resistance automatically if I did zwift.

the Kura doesn't adjust resistance automatically. Hence, no Ergo capability.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) the power readings are artificial because of the smoothing. If anything, the Direto numbers probably reflects a better look on reality than the kickr in erg mode.

2) i've had no issues with erg. I do almost everything on the small front chainring and keep it in the middle on the cassette. Only had to make a big gear change when doing a ftp test when TR automaticly shifts to the resistance mode

3) only had a 'wobbling' issue after moving the direto around with the bike still attached. Easily fixed by leveling the direto out using the big round knobs on the bottom side of the legs.
Last edited by: IvarAlmere: Feb 22, 18 5:39
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [rowancbrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rowancbrown wrote:
I understand the Kickr broadcasts target power, not actual power output, hence the super smooth graphs.
That's what I suspected as well. If that's the case, then I much prefer the Direto's methodology, even if it looks less smooth.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IvarAlmere wrote:
1) the power readings are artificial because of the smoothing. If anything, the Direto numbers probably reflects a better look on reality than the kickr in erg mode.

2) i've had no issues with erg. I do almost everything on the small front chainring and keep it in the middle on the cassette. Only had to make a big gear change when doing a ftp test when TR automaticly shifts to the resistance mode

3) only had a 'wobbling' issue after moving the direto around with the bike still attached. Easily fixed by leveling the direto out using the big round knobs on the bottom side of the legs.
Very interesting. It's not wobbling that I'm experiencing on the Direto (the actual legs seem perfectly stable), but actual flex in the bike frame, namely the seatstays where it's connected to the Direto. Is anybody else experiencing frame flex?
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine flexes too. I cannot figure out why. I try standing behind the trainer and wobbling the bike back and forth to see where it’s coming from, and like you I came to the conclusion that it is not the trainer that is flexing, it seems to be the bike, but I don’t know why. It seems to be securely anchored. Could it be the cheap skewer that’s flexing?
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on the bike. My old Cannondale X-Cross aluminum frame is silly solid on the Direto, but my Slice is super flexy. I think that's because the Slice is flexy on purpose, and you don't ride with the rear-wheel attached vertically outside fortunately. I'm imagining that the flexy part is directly related to the stiffness of the bike, which I can attest are not all the same.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [Emma'sDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two questions for direto owners

Am using direto with zwift mostly. Training And online racing. Great experience and really enjoying it.

1) anyone have any experience with left right balance? I get the figures when I upload to training peaks. Direto/training peaks says I am close to 50, usually, but I am a little skeptical, using my bmc roadbike with no power meter. On my Kuota tri bike and p2max and Kurt kinetic, I am 46/54 split. Anyone have any ideas on why it seems off/ inconsistent?
2) also why does Garmin Connect software not show the power balance graph when riding the direto, but training peaks does?
3) one more mild issue, even though the trainer sits on garage floor that is flat, it tends to inch forward. After an hour it’s crawled forward by 12-16 inches. Any ideas for a fix?

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [talegater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the L/R, the Direto has no way of knowing, it is just taking surges and estimating based on that where your pedal stroke is. I would take that with a grain of salt.

As far as moving forward, I notice that too, especially with a lot of climbing. I'll just sling it back once or twice during a ride. I'm on a pretty slick laminate surface though.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [talegater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talegater wrote:
3) one more mild issue, even though the trainer sits on garage floor that is flat, it tends to inch forward. After an hour it’s crawled forward by 12-16 inches. Any ideas for a fix?

Steve

On concrete garage floor, it does not move at all.
Perhaps something underneath the contact points? (Cut up an old wetsuit?)
Or brace something in front of the legs?
Tie an old tube to the handle and anchor that to something behind you?
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just replying to the latest thread and not necessarily responding to what you wrote.

I just picked up a Direto and finally set it up today. What I'd like to know is how do you guys adjust the rear derailleur while it is setup on the Direto? The resistance is hard to pedal by hand at a dead stop. I noticed it is slightly off compared to the trainer wheel I was using and getting a bit of a rubbing noise on the cassette like it isn't well alignment. I do have the bike it in the big chainring currently.

Haven't had a chance to run a calibration yet as but did would like to soon to see how well it matches up with my Power2Max Type S.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it rubbing throughout the cassette or just on the high or low sprocket?

Did you check that the cassette matches your RD? If 10sp, is the spacer on there correctly? Are all the sprockets spaced correctly (all have the correct spacers installed)?

If all of that is good, then put it on the small ring and unplug it. Can you spin by hand now? If not, try turning it back on into resistance mode and reducing resistance to minimum. (I'm not sure whether OFF is harder/easier than minimum.)

It seems odd that it would be off enough to rub from a bike to the trainer unless there is some spacer missing, so definitely start there first.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rubbing through the cassette a bit like it wants to shift but quite can't get there. Everything is installed correctly and I do know my way around cassette and derailleur setup. Just the tension seemed high to try and turn it by hand that is all. I tried messing with resistance mode and turning it to none in the Elite app but it didn't seem to help much. Maybe I'm just too used to adjusting the derailleur with the rear wheel free hanging like in a stand.

And no it isn't odd when switching wheels because not all hubs are built to the exactly the same spacing tolerances between all the brands. Just minor differences that require a little barrel adjuster turn to get it right.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Mar 28, 18 16:05
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, then, that is easy! It sounded like the spacing was so far off that when shifted into a gear, it was rubbing.

If it is only hesitant to shift, then yeah, like you say: spin that tension screw in a bit!

Was it easier/harder/same to spin when at zero resistance as if you unplug it?
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it was slightly easier to spin. I mean I could do it but it wasn't a fast cadence like in work stand. But I got it adjusted now and it was about a 1/2 turn of the barrel adjuster did the trick it wasn't a horrible rub but I definitely could hear it when I did a test spin real quick.

I admittedly spent more time than I probably should messing with the leveling knobs on the side arms than I should have. Tough to elminate all wobble when the trainer is on top of a mat which in turn on top of carpet. Eventually just went with good enough.

Looking forward to my first erg workout on this thing (probably tomorrow morning unfortunately as I'm little off health wise today to be able to slug through Trainnerroad VO2 Max workout for my next one in the plan).
Last edited by: loxx0050: Mar 28, 18 16:43
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not directed at anyone in particular, just a general question. Anyone coming from a Computrainer to a Direto? I've used a Computrainer since 1998 and ride quite a bit indoors. Usually 5-6 days a week when the weather sucks, which is about 8 months of the year here in Cleveland, and 3-5 days a week even in the summer. So I log about 80% of my annual mileage of 5-6K indoors. I'd really like to upgrade to a Direct Drive, though there isn't anything wrong with my Computrainer. That said, I belong to the Direto FB group, and I know the purpose of the page is to post issues and get assistance, but the number of problems seems to be endless. I often wonder if Elite has a Quality Control department. My darn Computrainer just works....every day, as it has for years. Perhaps ignorance is bliss. So if you do have a Computrainer to Direto migration experience, I'd love to hear about it. Comparable noise levels, thoughts on power meter accuracy, response to grade changes in Course mode, and response to load changes in ERG mode. I only use ERG mode occasionally, usually for shorter intervals (3-5min type stuff). For 2x20 min I manage the wattage myself, because as someone said previously, when you ride outside, nothing manages your wattage for you. Thanks in advance.


I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any support page will be inundated with problems...even products that 'just work', like a CT. You are only seeing the problems, not the other people who get along just fine.

I've only used a CT a couple times, so all I can say is that this is quieter.

My only annoyance of the Direto is that it has a little buzzer/chime thing that goes off when it gains or loses connection. Well, it also like to start jabbering occasionally during ERG mode whenever it gets a new command. Any idea how to shut it up?
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had mine since early October and it's just worked from day one. Done trainer road workouts, zwifted around, and done self done sessions using my Elemnt in FEC mode. Never had a problem. It matches nearly perfectly with my Assioma pedals for power and cadence. It's been fantastic for me.

I don't mind the somewhat loud computer printer noise others complain about because I always have headphones on anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Any support page will be inundated with problems...even products that 'just work', like a CT. You are only seeing the problems, not the other people who get along just fine.

I've only used a CT a couple times, so all I can say is that this is quieter.

My only annoyance of the Direto is that it has a little buzzer/chime thing that goes off when it gains or loses connection. Well, it also like to start jabbering occasionally during ERG mode whenever it gets a new command. Any idea how to shut it up?


Do what I do, I have a tablet in front of me for watching movies/shows and have that connected via bluetooth headphones. Can't hear what is going on with the beeping noises the Direto makes (or Trainnerroad running on my phone for that matter). But I can still hear the trainer noise and the fans around me. Definitely a bit louder (not by much) so far than my Fluid2 trainer though.

To ironmantee, I chose the Direto over the Flux because of people still posting on the FB Flux group of issues with their units (a guy just had his 3rd unit fail and had to be sent into warranty again....Units 2 & 3 for him were warranty replacements - this was last week). I know they only post issues but even after 1-1.5 years of the Tacx Flux being out and still people complaining of units dying is a bit off putting for me. I thought about the more expensive ones like the Kickr, Hammer, Drivo and Neo but couldn't justify the extra costs (since I don't plan on Zwifting for now and other similar type of road feel apps). So my choice was Flux or Direto instead as I wanted a smart erg capable direct drive trainer. That reliability issues still for some along with the fact that the Direto has a real power meter in a sense with a higher grade simulation was the final factor in my purchase.

I've used a computrainer 1 time but can't recall how different it felt for controlling in erg mode. But it was definitely quieter than a Direto. I still have to get used to Erg mode though as I was putzing around with gears and it took some time to get up to the target power (was doing trainerroad Ansel Adams -1 with VO2 max intervals at 130% ftp). Need to just try and stick with a cadence in a lower gear it seemed to help a little better but harder than my Fluid2 so far to hold the target power a bit more consistently. I also discovered my phone may not have the bluetooth support to control the trainer (have to look into that more) and had to switch to the Ant+ to get erg mode to work.

Also, to others, when you did a calibration (if you did one), were you close to the factory offset? I finally did one this morning after my Trainerroad ride and was about 21 points lower for my calibration. Couldn't get the elite app to set my power smoothing either (kept failing). Might have to mess with it later when I have more time. Seems from brief testing the Direto reads higher than my power meter (Power2Max Type S currently connected for now).
Last edited by: loxx0050: Mar 29, 18 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Just picked up a set of Assioma Duo's myself, though haven't installed them yet.


I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply