Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hip labrum tear surgery in TX
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

Got MRI results back that show a torn and detached labrum in my hip. Doc says surgery. He's researching options and told me to do the same, so I'm looking for doctors to consult with in Texas. Let me know if you have anyone you would refer, or really any info regarding this at all! Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Hip labrum tear surgery in TX [hullcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The two most important questions to ask your surgeon are; how many of these have you done?and how often do you do this surgery? If the answer is 1 or 2 per month or is less than 100 total, keep looking

The doctor who worked on both my knees and both my shoulders only does knee and shoulder surgery. The doctor who replaced both my hips in the same surgery, only does hip and knee replacement surgery. They get very good at it when they the same thing all the time.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a hip labrum tear last year. I was told I'd never run again without surgery. Three months of pt later I did my regularly scheduled half ironman. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hal Martin, a DO in Dallas. He's in our building. I refer all labral tears to him. Local guru, allegedly world renowned. My last supervising physician- an orthopedic surgeon in Irving, Texas- had his hip scoped by Dr. Martin. I wouldn't let anyone else touch me.

ETA: Hippreservecenter.com
Last edited by: afrizzledfry: Jun 28, 16 17:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had my torn labrum and FAI surgery done in Dallas in January. I went to UT Southwestern. Those guys do this surgery all the time on Dallas Stars hockey players and were great with me. Highly recommended. PM me if you have any questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could hardly walk after AZ 70.3. That's what I get for racing on a partially torn labrum. After the race it was a confirmed grade 3 tear.

Not sure where you are in TX, but Dr. Marquez in S. TX (Edinburg) treated my hip labral tear last fall. I'm a bit biased as he's my father-in-law, but he knows the athlete's body incredibly well and has an incredible team around him.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people will try to talk you out of getting it fixed with PT or gait changes - but my 2c: get it fixed now. The MRI ( I assume with contrast) confirmed the tear and it's never going to heal on it's own. Get it fixed, push through the shitty recovery, and get back at it.

Like others said find a DR that does a lot of these - probably have to find a sports medicine clinic that does some football / basketball / baseball teams. I had mine repaired by a doctor that has done hundreds of these and I was initially worried that he didn't do enough (came out great though). Just hope your cartilage is OK and won't require microfractures - if so you've just doubled your recovery....

PM me for any other questions. I'm 4 months out now and really settling back in on the bike. Running is a different story, however.
Quote Reply