Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
Wow, that is crazy cold. Remind me never to complain about running in slightly below freezing temperatures. And you stayed out there for more than two hours! I take my hat off to you.

Ciao

Running in the cold is nothing, compared to guys and girls like these

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am way behind compared to the last couple years...

It occurred to me about a week into this thing that running is the only thing I am any good at in triathlon. Mediocre swimmer. Slightly better cyclist. Pretty ok as a runner. Spending 100 days focused on running might not be the smartest way for me to get faster. So I started my own personal 100/100 cycling challenge. I'm currently at 26/26 for cycling at least 30 minutes per day (shooting for 45-60 minutes). Hopefully I will see some improvement on the bike. Keeping the streak alive will get a lot harder when I go skiing for a week next month.

I'm running, but probably only at a bronze level for this challenge. It is still fun to follow along.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is the 100 days of 2000m of swimming per day on top of the 100 days of 30 min of running per day option :-). I don't actually think biking 100 days gets you as much as doing that focus on run or swim as it is not a technical sport. You mentioned you are a good runner, but not as good a cyclist. Are you a lightweight runner and is your hill cycling good, but flat cycling not as good. If that is the case, it may just be physics working against you. The same way a big massive powerful cylist may suck at running. Physics works against that person the other way....or if I put Phelps vs Kipchoge in their respective sports, Kipchoge swimming or Phelps running may be comical if we make these guys do a swim-run event. "Horses for courses" MAY be part of your challenge, but then again, we can still strive to get good at what we are bad at. I am not built for fast swimming for for TT biking and really built for running and hill biking....but since my body does not work for running that well anymore, my only options are get faster swimming and biking. But I can't just not "run at all" even though my body is built for running. I still have to do it, and as I have some nervous system challenges in applying force with my left leg and balance from injuries, if I don't try it will just suck even worse. So just shuffling out some miles on 100/100 as often as I can. But I have found that biking a lot in the winter does not move the needle too much on my bike in the summer. The bike is almost pre determined by my aerobic system since there is no technical form to worry about. If I have good aerobic fitness, it does not take long for me to get to my bike capacity.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [abenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abenz wrote:
I might have missed this in this long thread, but what do we do if the Challenge is not counting 2 of my runs for some reason? They are all legit, over 30 mins or 3 miles, only thing I can gather is I did 2 Treadmill runs and its maybe not counting them? But they are listed as Runs from my Strava sync.

I thought you could see which runs are counted when you click on teh number in the Challenge, but I dont see that anymore.

Any help is appreciated. Or I'l have to do 102 in 100 I guess... :) Thx.

Hey abenz,

I took a look at your runs in the challenge period and sure enough, there are 3 of them that are both too short in distance (4.828km / 3 miles) AND time (30 minutes), and thus are not counted. Treadmill runs are counted. The challenge software doesn't currently enforce the 1 hour limit or the 3 runs / day rule (I do that by hand).

Some users make up runs by manually editing them together in the log. This is allowed by the rules.

The short runs are from December 21st, 22nd, and 24th for you.

Cheers, and strong work thus far,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey RandMart,

Okay, surfing in Lake Michigan (I assume) during winter is just nuts. When he says that he’s gotten dangerously close to hypothermia several times, I have to believe he’s telling the truth. He appears to using only a wetsuit! I would think a dry suit would be absolutely necessary for anything longer than 5-10 minutes.

Have a great Sunday
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My grandfather was from the UP; Marquette is Lake Superior [Gitchee Gumee, as it's called in the song]

I haven't surfed any of the Great Lakes, but I've peed in two of them [Erie and Ontario]

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh, that's it, thanks Eric. On my Garmin those were over 30 mins, but Strava picks up Moving Time. I was in St John this week and they have hills that I swear are like 30% grade, it must have looked like I was stopped. I probably did stop! Sheesh, those were literally my hardest runs so far too. :)

Ran 3 x times today to catch up. Back home now (relatively flat CT), I'll get there.

Thanks!

Alain.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still hanging in there. Weeklong business trip 3rd week of december, brought covid back home. Lost 10bpm @ normal Z1 pace. FTP down 25w. Looking forward to put this behind me and finish strong.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
there is the 100 days of 2000m of swimming per day on top of the 100 days of 30 min of running per day option :-). I don't actually think biking 100 days gets you as much as doing that focus on run or swim as it is not a technical sport. You mentioned you are a good runner, but not as good a cyclist. Are you a lightweight runner and is your hill cycling good, but flat cycling not as good. If that is the case, it may just be physics working against you. The same way a big massive powerful cylist may suck at running. Physics works against that person the other way....or if I put Phelps vs Kipchoge in their respective sports, Kipchoge swimming or Phelps running may be comical if we make these guys do a swim-run event. "Horses for courses" MAY be part of your challenge, but then again, we can still strive to get good at what we are bad at. I am not built for fast swimming for for TT biking and really built for running and hill biking....but since my body does not work for running that well anymore, my only options are get faster swimming and biking. But I can't just not "run at all" even though my body is built for running. I still have to do it, and as I have some nervous system challenges in applying force with my left leg and balance from injuries, if I don't try it will just suck even worse. So just shuffling out some miles on 100/100 as often as I can. But I have found that biking a lot in the winter does not move the needle too much on my bike in the summer. The bike is almost pre determined by my aerobic system since there is no technical form to worry about. If I have good aerobic fitness, it does not take long for me to get to my bike capacity.

Biking doesn't seem to be so much of an aerobic problem as a strength problem. I just feel like I can't push the watts that I need to keep up with the people I'm trying to beat (it may be that I need to learn how to suffer better on the bike.... high intensity running is tolerable to me but tough bike training always feels like a sufferfest). And you can lose so much time being mediocre on the bike. I am 170cm and about 66kg, so not a big guy. I'm convinced that I'm not anatomically suited to biking.... short legs for my height.

100 straight days of biking may be a fools errand but I've got to try something. I took four years off from triathlon and just ran from 2017-20. I've got plenty of running miles in my legs. I need to be on the bike.

100/100 swimming just isn't going to happen. Logistics are against me. If I can get in four swims per week I am going to have to be satisfied.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed two days on account of 10-12 hour driving days, but I doubled up the day before leaving, so I think I am one day in the hole…probably will be at least two down (more likely three) by the end of the trip.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Anna s wrote:
I like your bibs and made up events RandMart!

Thanks Anna; just trying to keep Runners/Running weird LOL

I went through the Event Calendar and sent you a listing of the races, formats, stipulations, etc.

I'll post the complete calendar someplace as the New Year starts, and you can jump in on any ones you want [they've always been free and virtual]

I think the FB group is still open for new members, although I've been terrible at keeping it updated #i_suck

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it time to start thinking about the 50/50 option, yet?

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7404752#p7404752

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm getting boostered today, so I'm expecting to be down for a couple days, but maybe not

Appointment didn't go through, so now it's NEXT week, instead

I blew a chance to go for my first run with some flurries yesterday by getting stuck in a data retrieval - emmer-effer!!!

Oh well, I'm sure there will be another chance, sometime before 100/100 is over

Last edited by: RandMart: Dec 28, 21 6:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Is it time to start thinking about the 50/50 option, yet?

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7404752#p7404752

If y'all ask for it, I can put it up, and it doesn't matter at all if it's ex post facto, by the way.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monthly 5k check in.

nov 15: 3.11 mi @ 6:22 mi /pace
dec 28: 3.17 mi @ 6:20 mi/pace (course 50-100m longer depending whose gps)

So no progress really, was hoping to go a minute faster (ran at pace for first 2k). The good, is I beat Michellie Jones by a few seconds (if you dont know who she is, why are you on this site!?). We ran side by side mile 2, she was 1st overall female, my wife came in a few seconds right behind her for 2nd OA. This race I do every year which is before the big college bowl football game, I set my PR on it about 6 years ago. The race grew in popularity, so a lot of hobby joggers to pass in the narrow start chute.

Should have took a picture with michellie but couldnt find her

Last edited by: synthetic: Dec 28, 21 13:59
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, congrats and kudos to Michelle Jones for running that fast this many years later. I think she is around 50 years old now?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent. Nice run and next time take a camera on the run . :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Excellent. Nice run and next time take a camera on the run . :-)

Yeah, run - selfie - repeat

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here is only photo of her from the race:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYCY3CqP_2a/

yes she has slowed down in run speed but at local tri's hangs with the pros on bike and swim.
Last edited by: synthetic: Dec 29, 21 8:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah Gusta Tacos
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We all have our distance/time goals but when it really matters can you functionally run? My wife's bike stolen last night, so this morning we jogged around looking for it at the typical hot spot bike chop shops. I helped recover some other people's bikes. Seem this is some kind of negative karma

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer. Sorry to hear
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am off the pace of 100/100. I had a week of training 3-4 hrs every day, and have a 10,000 swim event tonight.

So yestereday I did an easy 2500 recovery swim to loosen out, and no run. No run today too. My goal is to do 25x400IM on 8:20-8:30 range. Not sure how feasible that will be as the set up is LCM.

I will get back to jogging starting tomorrow and likely gradually increase running mileage in the second half as I was focused on swimming during this first part to get ready for this event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a special Circle of Hell for Bike Thieves

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We got the bike back! the lawyers i work for responded to the ad and gave me the address, I gathered my bike messenger friends and we ambushed him. Made him walk around the city looking for the parts he discard (we couldnt find). Let him go. but know his address... its a pretty big bike thief operation we just exposed

here is the ad by the way, what a selling point eh?

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/...winn/7426497271.html
Last edited by: synthetic: Dec 30, 21 15:04
Quote Reply

Prev Next