Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [gte534j] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bikes with the integrated cockpit hardware ship with a couple of adhesive-backed "bumps" which are intended to address this...but those wanting more could certainly do something like what you suggest.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't have a date on the 2-pack yet, sorry.

Not sure exactly what you're asking for on the fork...yes, both forks will exist as separate items for warranty purposes, which makes it possible to order them separately (though it may involve more interaction between the shop and their rep than is normally the case). I don't have part #s for the forks in that condition just yet. Neither is backwards-compatible with the previous generation SC.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Don't have a date on the 2-pack yet, sorry.

Not sure exactly what you're asking for on the fork...yes, both forks will exist as separate items for warranty purposes, which makes it possible to order them separately (though it may involve more interaction between the shop and their rep than is normally the case). I don't have part #s for the forks in that condition just yet. Neither is backwards-compatible with the previous generation SC.

OK thanks, there's my answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
The bikes with the integrated cockpit hardware ship with a couple of adhesive-backed "bumps" which are intended to address this...but those wanting more could certainly do something like what you suggest.

Hi Carl,
Thanks so much for your response and support. I did not see the "bumps" in my bike box. Could you post a picture or a link to what they look like? That might be a nicer solution than what I did. Glad Trek thought of this issue.
Ian
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [gte534j] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe they would've been packaged with the armpads (same vendor).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Question about the seatpost. I have the UCI legal seat post, the seat is torqued down but something rattles in the seatpost. Is this normal? The seats not moving just a little annoying to hear the rattling over anything but a smooth road.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [maladow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure which model SC you're on? All posts for the new bike are UCI legal...only the previous bike had UCI and non-UCI versions. Whether or not there are post parts which might be behind your rattles really depends on what you're riding...so if you can come back with the specifics on your post (material, model year, offset) I'll try to narrow down some possibilities.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2014 with the 50mm offset post.

and have narrowed it to the post by taking it out and shaking it.
Last edited by: maladow: Oct 1, 13 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, that helps, thanks.

If you're running new Di2 with the internal battery, I'd check to make sure the bracket mounting bolts are tight. If you're not, you could check the threaded bosses which the bracket bolts into for looseness.

After that, the only part which I can think of which might rattle is the tilt adjust thumbwheel...if you've got a section of road where this repeatably happens, try (carefully!) laying a finger on that wheel over the rough section and see if that quiets things down.

If none of those work, I suspect it's not in the post. Maybe there's a loose detail (plastic trim or similar) on your saddle?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks i will check that this evening. i can take the post out of the bike in my and and make it rattle. So i knew it was related to the seat or the post in some way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl the rattle is from inside the seat post and is being caused by the front bolt that connects to the turret. I must be adjusting the seatpost wrong. When i go it from the shop i had to angle it down. Could you explain the correct way to adjust it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK. If you're running UCI legal (position) then I assume the thumbwheel is forward. What follows is my personal preference.

Loosen both bolts (thumbwheel and the other bolt).

Use thumbwheel to set your saddle at the desired level-ness...here's the trick: put pressure on the saddle opposite the thumbwheel as you do this, to simulate what's going to happen when you tighten the rear bolt to lock everything in place. Use a little pressure as you operate the thumbwheel, and every so often stop dialling it and press harder on the back of the saddle to check where you're at.

When you're satisfied with your saddle level, tighten the rear bolt to lock everything down. Go ride.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks carl. i was an idiot the first time i did it. when turning the thumbwell i got resistance after 3/4 turn, so i ended up pushing down on the nose saddle and then screwing in the allen key on the thumbwheel. this left gap of thread inside the seat tube and it was the washer i heard rattling against the the seat tube instead of pulling tight against it.

Mark LaDow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl,

My P1 '14 Speed Concept arrived yesterday and I'm in the process of building her up and running into issues. No one at my shop, nor I, can locate a tech manual for the new bike on either Dexter or TrekU. I'm not a mechanic but I've been able to figure out how to resolve a number of my challenges through this thread so, many thanks. Is there an build manual we are missing that would help with this? I'm currently struggling to properly assemble the aero bars. My two issues are how to assemble the pads and with which bolts and then what the set-screw in the mono-extension actually does and how it should be used. Can you, or anyone else, help me out here?

Pics seem to be popular so here are some shots of the slowly moving build.
:-)

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [wedge962005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy-

The service manual is on Dexter Tech, not the regular Dexter where they order bikes. First headline under "What's New" is a link to the new SC reference materials.

There should be 4 M4 button head bolts and a couple dogbone shaped washers for securing the pad holders to the pad wing...then a couple of M5 countersunk bolts for attaching the wing to the mono.

The setscrew in the pivot cradle is an anti-rock measure...first set the angle of extension tilt with the bolts in front of it, then drive the setscrew down until it contacts the top of the monospacer.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [wedge962005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap that is one beautiful bike! How much does it weigh as pictured (with wheels, no hydration or pedals yet)?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [multisport4me] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry no weights yet, I'll do it when I'm done. Thank you for the compliment, I'm happy with the paint. Thanks Carl, I got the tech site, kind of embarrassed that none of our mechanics in the shop yesterday knew to go there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, are the new SCs available with more conventional twin extensions the whole way, or is the below setup the combination of a new SC frame plus old SC9 bars? (pic 14 is best)

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/...s-trek-speed-concept
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I can say right now is that we listened to the feedback from our pro athletes when they got their first look at the bike. You're seeing one of the results of those conversations.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl without searching through pages and pages....can you tell us if the fairing on the new SC will fit the old SC? As in the fairing / rear brake cover? Thanks.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rear brake cover is not backwards compatible.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting - whilst the original bars on the new SC were no doubt very aero I do think it a) forced people down a specific extension option and b) possibly got the bottle BTA setup too high. I'm sitting tight for now but this will certainly make upgrade from my old SC7 for me more likely. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,
Thanks for all your help over last while,I have my 9.9 frameset on order at last,is there's new style bontrager aero bottle to fit on the seat tube for 2014 SC ? Also is there a garmin mount for the 2014 SC ? If there is would you have part no's for them ?

Thanks Noel,
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Noel-

Always happy to help. No new aerobottle, and no dedicated Garmin mount...but when the new carbon cage for the monoextension goes live (don't have an ETA on that either) it does have a surface feature intended to allow mounting of most common computer/GPS/PM head units.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

That's grand Carl,thanks,I'm sure there will be one available in the next while,

Has anyone used a bontrager aero bottle or any other aero bottle on there 2014 SC ? Will the current bontrager aero bottle fit the new SC or has anyone tried it yet ?

Cheers,
Quote Reply

Prev Next