Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benefit likely higly dependent on rider position i.e. where in the saddle they are sat. suspect only time will tell in tbe field whether its generally a winner.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually not. Dexter is Treks internal dealer site. Pretty sure Zack has access to that.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe this a dumb question, but could this new frame accept a conventional stem? If yes, does it use a 1" diam. steerer? Will the new frame come with any 'excess' steerer to allow for some up-down stack adjustment? Any aero spacers available?

The price for the 9-series frame seems not too bad if it is still made in the usa, as the previous 9-series was (iirc). If it is still made in the usa, there seems little doubt that it is the fastest us-made frame ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dexter=Dealer Extranet.

It's the web resource for Trek dealers (I work for one).

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just have to give a shout out to the much maligned Orbea Ordu that introduced that triangle shape below the seat mast. Scott and Cervelo copied it and now Trek.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my own take on the new SC is on the front page, and from that article we have a link to both the white paper and the new fit system.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stem says "direct mount."

CarL would be better able to answer those questions I think.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackCapets wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
Badger911 wrote:
New SC 9 series up on Trek Project One website.

http://www.trekbikes.com/.../speedconcept9series

I just submitted a Project One order to a bike shop. I'll let everyone know the lead time and the other particulars once I talk to my guy at the shop.

37-51 days.

Thanks, Zack.

I chose the S-Bend extensions. I was torn between the S-Bends or Straight extensions.

The seat post offset is my next dilemma. Do I go with the 15mm or the 50mm? Hmmm...

The Lava article mentions "Stem options will again include a low/near, low/far, medium/near, medium/far, high/near and high/far, providing over 14 centimeters of height adjust per size." I currently use the 50/10 which would be the "low/near" stem on the current SC. In a perfect world I would have liked a 60/10 or 70/10 but the new bike sounds like I can slide the pads and extensions to make the low/near more customizable to me.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now someone please buy my 2012 Tarmac in the classified forum so i can order my SC 9.5!

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
I just have to give a shout out to the much maligned Orbea Ordu that introduced that triangle shape below the seat mast. Scott and Cervelo copied it and now Trek.

Orbea just stuck it on there 'cuz it looked cool; not because it was fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

That really isn't how that went down, though it certainly LOOKS like that is how it went down.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After reading the whole white paper I officially want to work at Trek :)

Carl, can you comment on why did you sum both positive and negative yaw values in the yaw angle histograms. For the untrained people, an average yaw of 10.6 degrees could mean that pre-stall drag is much more important that what it really is for the overall aerodynamic performance of the bike. Moreover, I'm pretty sure that there is a degree of asymmetry in those yaw histograms and some design choices can be affected by it. For example, the BB fillet would be more beneficial with NDS apparent wind speeds

http://cds-0.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Epic-o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have such a hard time warming up the Trek since their mountain bikes were garbage for so long ( I was a MTB racer before turning to Tri's)

Quote | Reply
Epic-o wrote:
I'm pretty sure that there is a degree of asymmetry in those yaw histograms and some design choices can be affected by it. For example, the BB fillet would be more beneficial with NDS apparent wind speeds

In course modelling I usually find yaw asymmetry. But I use absolute values for making equipment comparisons as the deltas between models fluctuate with asymmetry and I don't want to have to explain every time why 3m/s wind gives a different outcome depending on wind direction. I suspect Trek are applying that minor simplification for the sake of clarity.

More important than the asymmetry is the variation over time. A single point average doesn't tell the story very well when you have negligible wind for the first two hours and it then picks up for the latter part of the race - that bi-modality can markedly increase the value of low-yaw performance, even for slow riders.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What took you so long? Lol, you don't waste anytime! Are you ordering a full di2 setup?

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dopers.Suck wrote:
What took you so long? Lol, you don't waste anytime! Are you ordering a full di2 setup?

Yes. I would love it if Trek offered an Ultegra Di2 build so that I could save a few bucks but I guess not. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Constantine wrote:
If there is any changes I guess we would see them at TDF.
Any rumors or pictures?

http://triathlon.competitor.com/...-speed-concept_79866

It saves 90 seconds off of 112 miles when you average a speed of 20 mph. So in other words, my IM time ould go from 6:45:00 to 6:43:30. Definitely worth $11,000!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

Hi Bryan,

It think it is safe to say that orbea put the 'triangle' there because it looked good (well, ... at least to them) and because (I am guessing a little on this part, but this kind of thinking is more common than you think in bike design) it kind of lined up with the ordu's seat stays. Others here have said similar things, so nothing new.

The more interesting part is why this feature is now showing up on other bikes like the P5 and the SC 2.0. It obviously has an aero advantage, but it really exists only as an artifact of the UCI's crazy and inconsistently applied bike design rules. It is an artifact of their exemption for frame gussets, where you can go much deeper than normally allowed. Get rid of the UCI crazy frame tube limitations, and there is little doubt that the P5, the SC, and other bikes would look visibly different than what we have today.

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [guppie58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guppie58 wrote:
I have such a hard time warming up the Trek since their mountain bikes were garbage for so long ( I was a MTB racer before turning to Tri's)

Agreed but now their MTB, Road and TRI line ROCK! Their work on the 29'rs with Fisher has changed everyones approach to a mountain bike. The tech in their suspension and frames is world class. Love their line now, I have a 29'r HT and a SC tri bike. Didn't think I could be converted to Trek 5 years ago but I'm sold.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [3xBAMF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3xBAMF wrote:
Constantine wrote:
Any rumors or pictures?

It saves 90 seconds off of 112 miles when you average a speed of 20 mph. So in other words, my IM time ould go from 6:45:00 to 6:43:30. Definitely worth $11,000!

Your math skills are terrible, but you do have something of a point.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
3xBAMF wrote:
Constantine wrote:
Any rumors or pictures?

Your math skills are terrible, but you do have something of a point.

Im not exactly in agreement with my math skills being terrible but perhaps my sarcasm wasn't sensed. You are right...20 mph on a bike for 112 miles is a hell-of-a-lot faster than 6:45. The sarcasm is in the fact that I cannot hold 20 mph for 112 miles and my typical time would be around 6:30 - 6:45 for an IM bike split. That said, I am not considered a fast cyclist, I have a 2012 Speed Concept and love it but to say that "the bike" males a difference I'd say that it does not at my speed and at that distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3xBAMF wrote:
Constantine wrote:
Any rumors or pictures?

LMAO
math aside, this is still a great point. may i subscribe to your newsletter?

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
it makes the same difference at your speed.

a little more in terms of time actually.

Im intrigued....How would it help more @ my speed? I'll average 17.5-18 mph.

Reason I ask - I'm torn between TT bike and road bike for IMLT in a few months. Light vs aero.
Quote Reply

Prev Next