Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Tarochi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The basebar will come back towards you about 20mm and be about 25mm lower on the small vs the medium (with the same stem). That means it gets closer to the basebar reach from your fit session, but further away from the stack. I don't know if that's still an issue for you, because I don't know what importance you place on the basebar position...or why. Your fit session involved a Zipp Vuka bar...by accident or by choice, I don't know...and where the bullhorns ended up in space probably had more to do with the very short-reach design of that bar than with any fit-related decisions.

If I'm wrong about that -meaning your fitter spent a bunch of time dialling a basebar position and it's a dealbreaker for you - I'll say you can get closest with the medium-near stem (15mm lower and 40mm longer than your fit session #s) and still hit your armpad coordinates...but that risks bringing the SC bar back far enough to come in contact with your knees when standing or (less likely) even while sitting. If you came up 5mm higher at the pads the same stem on a medium would nail the basebar stack and be 60mm longer than your fit session #...compared to over 100mm longer using the medium-far.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new SC. I have a couple of questions that I would really appreciate you input on.

1. Besides the carbon and the fork, is there any difference between the 7 and 9 series.

2. Can you give a bit more clarification on what "mid-pad", "pad range" and "full range" mean on the fit guide. Can issues arise if a rider is at one of the extremes in the full range block.

3. My measurements from my 58 cm P3 are as follows:
Pad Stack: 656
Pad Reach: 525
Base Stack: 623
Base Reach: 660

If I go with the XL Lo Near 35 mm, the pad reach is in the full range block and I nail the base reach. As I asked in the previous question, any issues being in the full range block on the pad reach.

Thanks in advance.

Armin
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [f18guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Armin,

Go to the previous page for Carl's explanation regarding the 3 categories of pad ranges on the fit table.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Tarochi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tarochi...read that a few times already, from step 3 of the fit guide.

From #3, bullet 3, "If no stack +reach combination intersects within a monospacer block, expand your pad stack selection to include the pad range row. If that doesn't produce the desired result, expand your stack selection to include the full-range row."

I go back to my original request of a bit more clarification as to what "mid pad", "pad range" and "full range" actually is.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [f18guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Armin-

1) In addition to a different level of carbon construction in frame and fork, carbon dropouts on the 9-series, aluminum on the 7. In terms of things you could easily measure on your own, the 7 is a little heavier.

2) Covered in general a few posts ago, and more specifically in your case below.

3) You're coming up with the low-near & 35mm spacer because you feel the basebar position is important enough to discard the mid-pad solution of same frame with low-far and 45mm monospacer. The fact you're finding that solution in the "full range" section of the pad reach means you're using the chart as intended: you didn't find a combination in mid-pad or pad-range which met your requirements. Full range simply indicates you're using more of the class-leading fit range of our system than most people. We've got that range designed into the system for riders like you.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feed back Carl.

I think it would be a wise move to have the bike ordered with both the stems and see which one works best during the fit session and a couple of rides.

To Tarochi, my apologies if I came across as a douche in my earlier post. I didn't look hard enough at the pg 19 of this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just received my 7.5 today. Came into Perth Australia a month earlier than expected. (i think they're back ordered to December atm, but being a dealer might have something to do with that). Just have to say building it was a delight compared to the previous gen (which i became frustratingly quite accustomed to). Quick nip around the block and she feels fast, if not faster that the previous generation. i'm ~179cm and love the fit on a medium frame albeit at slightly aggressive fit. Also if there is one thing to ask is when Australia is likely to have stock of the low-far stem, unfortunately the drop isn't steep enough for me with the stock medium far stem.

As for everything Carl, you've done well, you've done very well.

P.S thanks Trek Australia, you've been great

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Just picked up my 2014 7.5 SC today. Beautiful bike in looks and design. My LBS fitted the bar with a 25mm mono spacer when I asked where the spare other 3 spacers were they stated thats all it came with. My understanding was that all SCs came with 4 mono spacers (15,25,35,45) to help with stack adjustments. Can you confirm this is the case with the 7 series SCs.

regards

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [lazlo51] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, when i built mine up at my LBS and only found it came with the 25mm spacer, i had the exact same question. After calling the local Rep it is true that they are making them, but they aren't shipping them with the bike, ask your LBS to order one in if you need more stack.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [lazlo51] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Tom-

All 9-series bikes and Project One 7-series come with the full set...stock 7.5 bikes get the 25mm.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to Carl for all his help in this thread. I just ordered my Project One bike today and the build time is 75-90 days. Can't wait!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Just took delivery of a P1 7.5 series. Great job on the design, integration and finish. Are the new frames not supposed to have a chain suck protection plate? My bike has DI2 and I have never had a dropped chain on my DI2 road bike, yet have seen it happen to others. The new frame looks like an inner drop would result in a quick jamming of the chain in the bottom bracket area.

Thanks,
Scott
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [sbinzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Scott-

Credit where credit is due...there's a team of really smart people behind the new bike...I claim none of it for myself.

The new bike has a guard integrated into the frame vs the stick-on style of the old bike.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [drakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
howdy drakes

re: the low-far stem...I can't "see" into the warehouse for your corner of the world, but our crack product support team tells me your best bet is to get a backorder into the system ASAP. There's a shipment due in down there the first week of December, but whether or not a low-far is on it (or could still be added) I'm not clear on.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the fast reply! Your responses on this forum helped confirmed my decision to buy. A great resource for DIY wrenches, who might have had second thoughts on maintaining these bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [sbinzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered a stock 7.5 in early October. At that point, delivery was estimated at 30-50 days. Just got an updated estimate of APRIL.... WOW!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [gienopes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gienopes wrote:
I ordered a stock 7.5 in early October. At that point, delivery was estimated at 30-50 days. Just got an updated estimate of APRIL.... WOW!

...This is the worst news I've heard about the 2014 SC. While it's still at the top of my list, more bad news may force me to buy another Cervelo!

-Scott
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My shop is splitting the difference with me on a Project One version and it will be here in less than 2 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WiScott wrote:
gienopes wrote:

...This is the worst news I've heard about the 2014 SC. While it's still at the top of my list, more bad news may force me to buy another Cervelo!

-Scott

I'm in the same boat with my order of a 7.5 and it's making me think that the P3 Ultegra is worth a look at virtually the same price. If I have to wait until April to get on my first ever tri-bike and then have a 70.3 the first week in June that doesn't leave me much time to get fit and then get comfortable with the bike.

My set of 60/90 flo's came in the mail yesterday and now I have no bike to put them on for six months...frustrating!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [gienopes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gienopes wrote:
My shop is splitting the difference with me on a Project One version and it will be here in less than 2 weeks.

The stock 7.5 for $4,199.99 is identical to the "stock" Project One for $4,724.99, correct? (Other than you can pick from one of five colors on the P-One)

If my local shop will split the difference, that may be worth ~5 months.

-Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WiScott wrote:
gienopes wrote:

The stock 7.5 for $4,199.99 is identical to the "stock" Project One for $4,724.99, correct? (Other than you can pick from one of five colors on the P-One)

If my local shop will split the difference, that may be worth ~5 months.

-Scott

Precisely my thinking when I said "do it."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl

I could use help sizing a P1 SC 9 series that I want to order in the coming days...

My measurements from my old bike are:

Pad Reach 455 mm
Pad Stack 603 mm

Base Bar Reach 647 mm
Base Bar Stack 580 mm

Saddle Height & SB: 736mm & +10mm
BB to Grip Reach (end of extensions w Di2 shifters) : ~760 mm // and I like S-BEND extensions...

Seems like I am within range of 3 possibilities:

> SMALL frame + Medium/Far
> MED frame + Low/Near
> MED frame + Low/Far

I've always been on Medium Frames and seems like adjustability would be limited on the small frame even if it seems to fit better at first sight on the chart... My previous bike limited a bit how low I could go on the pad stack and would like to make sure I have some range.

Seems like a Medium frame might allow more adjustability with 2 stem possibilities...Also like the "more frame, less hardware" idea and the most aero setup.. but from reading previous posts I am worried about the minimum BB to Grip Reach dimension that can be achieved...

Thanks in advance for your help! Can't wait to finally pass my order...

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [brooks5656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brooks5656 wrote:
WiScott wrote:
gienopes wrote:

-Scott

I'm in the same boat with my order of a 7.5 and it's making me think that the P3 Ultegra is worth a look at virtually the same price. If I have to wait until April to get on my first ever tri-bike and then have a 70.3 the first week in June that doesn't leave me much time to get fit and then get comfortable with the bike.

My set of 60/90 flo's came in the mail yesterday and now I have no bike to put them on for six months...frustrating!

I like the new P3 and I looked at them too but a P3 with a non integrated front end and exposed brakes is overpriced compared to the SC 7.5. If you don't want to wait you might as well save some money and get a P2 or lower end SC.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [ninesixfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my LBS double check my delivery date since I did place an early order and he said that mine is still scheduled for delivery sometime in Feb.

I can live with that, especially living in Nebraska since I won't be doing a ton of outdoor riding during that time of year anyway. But I will want to get used to the bike since it will be my first tri-bike I've owned.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Thierry

First off, nice job on using the fit chart.

You're not really limited on the small frame, with another stem (low-far) ready to go if your position drops by 20mm or more, and you'd have another 35mm you could drop from there before you'd face the question of going XS...seems kind of unlikely? All kinds of room to go up too...another 30mm on that stem and 45 more on the next one. Pad reach is right in the middle of the range, so you've got maximum flexibility for tweaks there. 760mm BB to grip wouldn't be any problem with the S-bends. Finally, if basebar position means a lot to you, this setup is going to come the closest.

The medium combos are also viable if you want to go the more frame & less cockpit hardware route...but that concept is predicated on cockpits with a lot of hardware (like the old SC, or any two-stack system) or lots of big round spacers like you'd find under a standard stem. On the new SC the stems and mono-spacers are quite a bit thinner than the old SC stems, and there's only one spacer on the new SC vs two sets on the old one...so in this case, the argument isn't as strong. We actually put it to the test - sort of - in the tunnel...running the same pad position with a short stem and tall spacer vs tall stem and short spacer. No appreciable difference. Exchange a little more slightly thinner headtube for a little less stem, and I'm confident the answer isn't going to change.

Your saddle height isn't out of the question on either frame size...right on the "line" between them.

Short version: I think you can go with your heart on this one.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next