Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great.

Another question, for an obviously different person: The 7-series P1 WSD is listed as available in an XS, and the geometry seems identical to the 9-series WSD. Does that mean it comes with 650c wheels, unlike the stock 7-series?

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All XS SCs are designed for 650c wheels, yes.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl, I'm look to buy an SC 9, and could use some sizing advice. I've got a Retul fit here http://goo.gl/pU8tLB

If I read the sizing charts correctly I'm a Large + MediumFar. This is all new to me though, would you mind taking a look?

Thanks!
Harry
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [xthulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I get too. Definitely wouldn't go any smaller with your saddle that far in front of the BB. While you could hit those pad coordinates with the same stem on an XL, I'd worry that the standover might start to be an issue given your saddle height. Your brake levers would get pretty far out in front of you on the XL too.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I'm almost there,I'm just getting the final bolt ordered for my 2014 SC 9.9 that was missing and I want to be sure I have the right pn before I send the email to my lbs to get it for me,I'm looking for the pad wing holder bolt that holds down the wing that the pads fix to,there is 2x FKE 010.9 M5 x 21mm holding down the wing, is the pn for this bolt 437027 ?

Can the plastic plugs that fit into the bottle cage fixing holes on the frame be got as a part ? If so would you have a pn for them ?

I want to order a bontrager aero bottle/cage also,is there a pn for this ?

Is there a new aero bottle/cage coming out for the 2014 SC ?

Cheers Noel,
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Noel-

Working from the bottom up:

-No

-If you mean the Bontrager Speed Bottle, you'll have to find a dealer who has one in stock or check the classifieds...they're not being made anymore. If you're talking about the new SC waterbottle cage which includes hardware to mount it on the mono, that's 436151

-The hole plugs are PN W308963...limited supply

-437027 is a cockpit bolt kit which includes the pad wing bolts you're after. They're not stocked separately. The rest of that kit could be a handy thing to have for either you or your shop, should another random bolt go missing.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl: About the "SC waterbottle cage which includes hardware to mount it on the mono", I have the kit... is it me, or if we use the 5mm spacer under the crossbar to raise the pads up (fit chart), then the bottle bracket does not clear the crossbar anymore. I did not see spacers included in the bottle kit to account for that, unless I missed something.

Also, do you know if Bontrager plans to release a shorter bento box? I got the new one and it is reaaaaallly long, especially if one needs to only carry 1-2 gels. Also changes the look of the bike a lot and not enough clearance anymore when standing with the bike between my legs at a stop.

Thanks for your support here! Love my new SC so far and been following the thread.

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Thierry-

It's true, with the pad wing spacer in place you can't run the WB mounting rail without spacing it higher as well...and there are no spacers like that provided with the system. If you do space it up, you'd also want to find mounting bolts 5mm longer to get back to the same thread engagement on the mono.

No plans for a shorter Speedbox2...the capacity complaints have usually gone the other way ("why can't I fit more in there?"), so we made higher capacity a driver on the new one.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl

I picked up my new 2014 SC9 from my LBS today.

I have a question regarding Ultegra Di2 front derailleur installation.
In th shimano dealer's manual(DM-UL0001-00) is explained that a backup plate has to be installed.
On my SC9 I can not see that this plate is installed and the related support bolt seems not to be tightened.
Is that normal and not required on SC9?

Thank you for your answer.

Nic
Last edited by: Nic.Run: Jan 4, 14 15:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Carl,

I'm ready to order a Project One SC, but my LBS (Cincinnati Trek) does not have any SC's in stock. I really want to be fitted correctly. Is there a way for them to measure me without a bike? I've talked to them and they seem pretty confident that I am a medium (5'8.5 and a 31" inseam) - and that what comes "standard stock size" would work. Do you have any suggestions? They are a great crew, but I really want a custom fit.

So glad I found this forum!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Wil_F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'9 30" inseam and I ride small in the 2.5 speed concept geometry
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Nic.Run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The support bolt is intended to be tightened against the plate. Shimano recommends that plate be installed to ensure the crispest possible shifts. The concern is with frames and/or FD hangers which aren't stiff enough to resist the force of the shifting. We made good front shifting (electronic or otherwise) a priority on the original SC - in part because the TTX wasn't awesome in that regard - and even developed our own test for FD hanger/frame stiffness benchmarking and qualification. Personally, I've never run that plate on any of my SCs and never had a front shifting problem. If you're worried, by all means stick that plate on (it's adhesive-backed) and tighten the associated setscrew down onto it.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I have a '14 SC in a size medium (medium-far). I used the fit guide and it was spot on with sizing. The fit guide stated that I would be on the top end of the medium size frame and that is exactly where I am after several rides with it. Your LBS seems to be pretty accurate with their sizing recommendations.

The beauty of the SC is the range that each size can adjust to. It's a very versatile design.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Nic.Run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nic,

I installed the little metal plate that came with my Ultegra Di2 FD. It was a very painless process that took about 3 minutes to complete. Just install the FD where it should go, screw in the tiny setscrew until it touches the frame (note the location), remove the FD and stick the metal backing plate where the screw touched the frame. Back out the setscrew and reinstall the FD. It's pretty simple and it gave me a little piece of mind.

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need to be fitted or sized on any particular bike...it doesn't even need to be a bike...what you (or your shop) need is to use some thing and some process which turns out meaningful measurements. Any bike, mounted in a trainer, which also has enough range of adjustment in all the right places (pads, bullhorns, saddle height and offset) will suffice. Doesn't matter if they need to flip a 30mm offset post forward and/or use a 150mm 45deg stem in order to find your happy place...because you're not riding the fit tool. You're getting measurements, from the BB (ideally) for all the relevant points of the bike: pads, bullhorns, saddle, which translate to the correctly sized bike which you will ride.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Thank you for your explanation.
I just wanted to know that the FD hanger can handle the attached force without mounting that plate.
That let me rest easy.

I'm very happy with my new SC9.
Can't wait to do my first ride on it, but I'll wait until the weather is better.

Nic
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [sommer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric

That plate seems not to be mandatory necessary.
My LBS did the assembling, I will ask him when I'm bring the bike for the first inspection.
Installing the plate may surely not harm, even if it's not required.

Nic
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [allpromathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Well despite a longer than expected wait my new SC arrived Christmas Eve. Was it worth the wait - I dunno. In my first race ( local sprint tri) despite loosing around 45 seconds trying to put on my brand new shoes that were attached to the pedals I rode 1 min 30 seconds (over 20km sprint bike leg distance) quicker than the next person in my age group setting me up on the run for my first ever place in a triathlon ( 1st in age/3rd overall). I've also bettered most the strava segments I ride hard on the same or less power as my old bike (riding the same set up too!!) So yeah, it was worth the wait!!! Bike rides like a missile!!!

Anyway, some questions:

1) I received the cd for the 2013 sc. Can you provide a link to the 2014 manuals so I can figure out how to move the base bar, try a shorter spacer and pack it for travel.

2) the draft box lid keeps coming off. I've had to tape it front and back. Is this normal - someone told me they are occosionally faulty?

3) the trek site says I can fit 2 gel flasks on the bento box thing. I can't fit one- it's too skinny. Are there narrow flasks that may fit? If not, can I use the previous box and would there be an aero penalty?

4) what diameter is the hole for the drink bottle holder? Ive ordered the bta bottle holder but delivery time is sometime in March so I'd like to make something custom on the mean time?

5) I bought my gf a 2013 7.5. She got a preset torque tool with it. Should I have got something like this with my 2014 project one 9 series??

6) I use a park stand to work on my bikes which involves removing the front wheel to lock the bike in using the forks and abc bottom bracket. This won't work easily with the speed fin or my gf 7.5. What is the recommended home solution for placing these bikes on some sort of work stand to do maintenance on them?

Thanks
Last edited by: LzBones: Jan 8, 14 3:39
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [LzBones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy!

1) Service manual can be found here

2) The tab at the leading edge can seem like it's engaged when it's really not...and that could contribute to what your'e experiencing.

3) Not all flasks are created equal, is the best answer I suppose. On a related note, those collapsable soft flasks seem really cool. No problem using the previous box, and while we haven't done any tunnel work to verify it, I can't imagine the aero qualities would be all that different on the new bike vs the old...where it was part of our aero-neutral storage suite.

4) Not exactly sure what you're asking...but I'll take a guess you want to know what size the bolts are for the mono bosses where the new cage system would go? M5...standard water bottle cage bolts.

5) I don't think we're including those in the box anymore.

6) If you want to continue using your existing stand, remove the speed fin. Otherwise, stadarad seatpost-clamp style of stand can use the workstand adapter 403494 and associated SC14/TTX seatpost clamp adapters 416101.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

In response to the previous questions:

1) Thanks downloaded fine.

2) It appears to be engaged properly. Any chance it can be opened from the inside from something bouncing around?

3) I cant find any traditional flasks that will fit. Probably will switch to a dsw to use a traditional flask.

4) Perfect - thanks

5) Cool - I have one from my girlfriends bike anyway!

6) Thanks - I'll probably replace my workstand and get the adapter.

Won my first ever local club tt on the weekend. Happy days!

Thanks heaps.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [LzBones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2) An easy test: wrap a rag or something else around your otherwise loose articles to take up some of the extra space and possibly absorb some of the energy and see if it still happens.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl
I imagine that I may well be asking a question here that has already been asked and answered. However, after good look through the extensive Speed Concept threads, can't find it.
I have a series 1 SC, I am wondering as to whether the series 2 base bar/stem and mono extension can be fitted retrospectively to the series 1, or are they not compatible.
Many Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [daveVagabond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No backwards compatibility to be had, with the exception of the original Speedbox...which does mount directly to the toptube of the new SC and any other bike which followed our lead up there.
ETA: I inadvertently described forward compatibility. The correct (backwards compatible) statement would be that the Speedbox2 does mount on the old SC...just not as cleanly as it does on the new design.

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Jan 15, 14 20:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK Thanks for rapid reply. Regards
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [daveVagabond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carl,
about to have my LBS order a speed fin for my 2014 because I bought the UCI version. Question is does the speed fin come with the mounting screws or is that a separate part number.

Thanks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next