Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks carl, there's no marking on the ends so wanted to make sure before I went through the trouble of pulling out the shifters that cutting could be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Do you have the 5mm spacer installed under the pad wing? The bottle bracket would need to be spaced upwards by the same amount.

The draft box situation should probably be handled through a warranty claim. I'm not a claim rep, but the paint issue in particular may fit within the terms found here.

Won age group in another local sprint tri on the weekend - faster than the next guy in my age by 3min 15 secs over the 20ks of the bike leg, 4th fastest overall bike fit I think. Obviously the bike still needs to be ridden but its nice to be a new bike with more power converted to speed!

Anyway, thanks for the reply. So I looked at my bike and there is a spacer under the extensions. So if I understand you response their is no equivalent trek spacer system for the water bottle. So I would have to come up with my own shim? Otherwise, can I simply remove the spacer on the bike and it will just fit?

Thanks
Last edited by: LzBones: Jan 30, 14 5:56
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [LzBones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats on the AG win! I can't wait for the roads around here to get cleaned off so I can go ride fast again.

and yes, you got it exactly right on the bottle cage mount...if you can handle being 5mm lower at the pads, removing the spacer under the pad wing will give you the clearance you need (and, really, it'll be a cleaner installation overall vs spacing the rail up).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My BTA bottle actually came with 2 small spacers so if you are running the spacer under the aerobar mono-extension you use the spacers otherwise you don't. I'm in canada though and just purchased the bottle cage separately through my dealer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub11Hours is right... Seems like my bottle kit DID come with the spacers too after all (following second inspection).. I just missed them because:

1) there are no instructions coming with the kit;
2) the said spacers are held in the packaging by the same tie-wrap that holds the computer mount (that three-quarter-moon plastic thingy) to the cardboard display. The plastic spacer are under the plastic mount in that package.

Seems like the mounting screws are long enough to be used with or without these shims, according to visual inspection.

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl, thanks for your help answering my questions. My wife and I both ended up ordering the SC7.5 w/ di2 and look forward to getting them this spring. In total, 5 people from our racing team will be riding new Speed Concepts this winter and the trash talking has already started! Just wanted to say thank you for making yourself available via this forum and answering questions.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [smarty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My pleasure...and welcome aboard!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How hard is it to disassemble and reassemble the 2014 SC 7.5 for shipping in a typical bike box (Thule) Also should I be fitted on a speed concept before I make a purchase? I know there are multiple options for crank, saddle placement etc? This is a big investment for me and I want to make sure I get it right. Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [jockette21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl, question for you. I have a 2014 7.5 SC with Di2. Should the plastic cover that covers the wires on the rider side of the handlebar have a relief cut in it to prevent the wires being pinched between the handlebar and the top of the plastic cover? The reason I ask I was working on my bike and noticed the wires had been pinched there pretty badly and the cover looks like there is a small window at the top that needs to be removed to give the wires some room to move.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [jockette21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"hard" depends on how familiar you are with wrenching in general, and how familiar with your bike in particular.

that said, the bolt count in a front-end travel breakdown has been reduced almost by half as compared to the old 9-series, and you have more flexibility in component placement since the cockpit ends up in two subassemblies vs one big one.

it's a very good idea to get a set of fit coordinates before buying any tri bike, particularly if it's your first foray into tri-specific designs. it's not necessary to get fitted on the bike you're interested in because that's putting things in the wrong order...the fit information drives you towards one or more bikes based on what their fit range is (and price, support, etc)...not the other way around.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Jamie73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie73 wrote:
Should the plastic cover that covers the wires on the rider side of the handlebar have a relief cut in it to prevent the wires being pinched between the handlebar and the top of the plastic cover? ... the cover looks like there is a small window at the top that needs to be removed to give the wires some room to move.

exactly. the covers were designed with a thin-walled cutaway feature in that location.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl, just as I thought. My LBS is going to replace the damaged wires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just at the trek store and they told me if I wanted to travel with the bike I would be out of luck with the trek. He did say it would be ok if I used a transport co. But that would only be avail for big races not smaller races like b2b
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [efntm1432] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's understandable that there might be lingering negative buzz over the old bike and how to travel with it. This, despite the fact it could be done, and with practice it wasn't too much different from flying with any other bike.

Still, that concern was one of the driving forces behind our simplification of the front end on the new one. The new bike breaks down faster and easier and there's absolutely no reason you should feel constrained to a transport company.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

I am looking to place an order for the new SC 9 (P1), without DI. Are the cables still going to be fully integrated with this setup?. How are the cables routed through the basebar and spacers to the stem without them sticking it as per a lot of bikes.

Thanks in advance

Chris

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris-

They're even more hidden on this version of the bike than the previous one. You can see how things are routed by reading through the service manual.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl...
Just wondering if you could please give me the part number for the 2013 bontrager race lite carbon ergo aero bars....
I want to purchase a pair of just the aero bars to setup my training bike as close as possible to my race bike so handling is similar...
The bike store is struggling to find the order number.
Thanks mate
Jeremy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just remembered I also please need the part number for the 2013 sc 9.9 rubber housing cover for the 10/100 stem (height/length)... The bikes store gave me one which is very high and does not match the stem setup.
Thanks Carl
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Mr.Bump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jeremy

the bars are PN 425500

there is only one "size" of the cable cover, used for all stems...so if it's not matching up perfectly it's probably a manufacturing tolerance condition and the next one you get may or may not be different. still, if you want to give it a shot, it's w311600.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers mate
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Mr.Bump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I'm sure you have already answered this question, but when will the saddle mount rear hydration be available? It's almost spring and I'm gonna be thirsty.

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When our snow cover disappears...which should be about September.

Don't have an answer for you yet, sorry. Trying to make it the best it can be.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I've got a new bontrager carbon computer cage. Can you fit a Garmin Edge 500 to it or is it solely designed for SRM computer?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [45Cdo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can attach your Garmin to a regular 31.8mm diameter bar, you should be able to attach it to this cage...either via the as-molded "hump" has that diameter (and access holes fore & aft for zipties, bands, or whatever you and/or the computer manufacturer want to use), or by adding the almost-complete "disk" clamping detail to create an even more realistic 31.8mm clamping section for computers which only have a band-style attachment.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [45Cdo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
45Cdo wrote:
Hi,

I've got a new bontrager carbon computer cage. Can you fit a Garmin Edge 500 to it or is it solely designed for SRM computer?

Thanks

I use the Bontrager mount but the Speedfil Z4 cage.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next