Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks to me like Trek could build a rear brake/Di2 battery cover similar to the new SC for the older SC. Not sure how much of a difference it would make but I am sure they'd sell a boat load of them.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the WSD any different in geometry? I did a quick look and didn't see any difference between the unisex and the WSD but maybe I'm missing something.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last gen WSD bikes differed only in saddle and paint scheme. Probably safe to assume geometries are still identical.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's what I figured. Just makes me laugh about the word specific in women specific design. I just did the project one build and it offered men's saddles as the option and there were really no girlie colors.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [STJay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rock on, Jay! Give that bike a good thrashing.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davearm almost got it...the Shimano internal battery mounts partially inside the seatpost and hangs down inside the seattube. Shimano and Campy EPS external batteries go in the same place they did on the previous bike, using the UCI-legal rear brake cover.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll ask around about the saddle thing...but what kind of colors do you have in mind? are we just missing a hue here and there, or an entire family (no, I'm not an artist, so no doubt these terms mean something entirely unintended)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any interest in a 2012 SC project 1 with ultegra components (it's black with white lettering)?

I'm considering upgrading but it would all depend how much I can get for my current SC.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HI carl - its a bit unclear as to whether the frameset comes with aero bars - it did with the old version but they are missing from the frameset photo ... can you confirm ?
Cheers
Neil
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am interested....looking for a size medium.

Send me a message with pics and asking price
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
davearm almost got it...the Shimano internal battery mounts partially inside the seatpost and hangs down inside the seattube. Shimano and Campy EPS external batteries go in the same place they did on the previous bike, using the UCI-legal rear brake cover.

thanks for the reply Carl.

if you buy a new SC with Di2, what battery does it come with?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Shimano and Campy EPS external batteries go in the same place they did on the previous bike, using the UCI-legal rear brake cover.
...if only the Campy EPS battery would accommodate the Speedfin (this is all Campy, not Trek).
it's nice to have the Campy EPS, when most other tt bikes w/ electronic shifting are Di2.

after only a few miles on it: our test bike is definitely an improvement from the previous Speed Concept—it's more nimble, without being overly sensitive. road feel is not completely dampened out, either. definitely a plus.

but i dont want to give to much away.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nilloc wrote:
guppie58 wrote:
I have such a hard time warming up the Trek since their mountain bikes were garbage for so long ( I was a MTB racer before turning to Tri's)

Their tri/TT bikes sucked for a long time too. I worked at a few Trek shops and could never get around to using the employee discount because they were so far behind and were so focused on the road market and their TT/Tri bikes seemed like an afterthought. (There's a reason Armstrong was riding re-badged Litespeed bikes back then.) But the introduction of the original SC showed that they've gotten really serious about the Tri/TT bikes and they're doing them right. While I don't love their ubiquity, just because it's nice to have something unique, I think they're making really good tri bikes. I certainly won't go out and buy a new SC, but that's just a financial matter. If I had the $ and were looking to buy a new bike, this would definitely be in the running for me.

Gary Fisher saved Trek mountain bikes, although I do dislike GF bikes. Main reason is that they are just a dime-a-dozen at the mountain bike races (although now Niner bikes are dime-a-dozen). GF seem very 'vanilla' to me. I ride Specialized Epic since they were introduced. Up until last couple of years, the Epic was more of a 'exotic' bike because it's pure race. Epics are a little more mainstream now with all the different price levels. I can't recall ever seeing a newer Trek mountain bike at a race.

This new Trek SC bike does intrigue me, especially with the discussion in this thread.

Quote | Reply
so on the color picker...scroll over to the Signature series, and when you choose the Podium, Solid-Outline, Solid-Team, or Vapor Coat Color schemes you'll get a few color boxes for different parts of the bike. When you click on those color boxes the whole palette available for that part of the bike should show up...and I see a lot of stuff in there my daughter would call girlie...but she's my daughter so her taste is questionable by default. vapor coat color options are a little more limited, to keep the weight down...certain pigments are just plain heavy no matter what.

on the saddle front, I see the Fizik Vitesse in the choices available both on the dealer P1 site and the consumer site. if that's one you know doesn't work for you, by all means add a note to that effect in your build sheet and the P1 folks will see what they can do. they're all about turning your dreams into reality.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [neil_mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
confirmed. thx for the note about the photo.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
just like the last bike, a 1-1/8" false steerer accessory aka "steer stub" will be available to let you run whatever standard stem and bar setup you want. it's 55mm tall, so your stack adjustment capability will depend on the length of your stem clamp.

Thanks for the info. Got a link or a pic or a diagram or an exploded diagram of the 'false steerer' or steerer stub and how it fits on the previous generation 9 series? (Since they are essentially the same as on the '14 SC.) I am not familiar with the steerer stub, I thought the 9 series just had a 1" steerer. Also, if one uses the steerer stub, be it cut down to less than 55mm tall?

thanks,
Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
vapor coat color options are a little more limited, to keep the weight down...certain pigments are just plain heavy no matter what.

carl: how much difference in weight are you indicating, for paint? .5kg?

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here's an old pic from when I was doing routing studies on the old bike...and one guy in the SC thread used one to set his 9srs up as an aero road rig (way cool). if you Google images on Speed Concept and find some of the early RadioShack bikes you'll see them all outfitted with the stub too, since we didn't have a UCI bar right away. bolts on in place of the 9srs stem.

the old (and new) bikes don't really have a steerer in the commonly understood sense of the word...they have internal "steerer" features to help structurally tie the top and bottom of the fork-cockpit system together, but the primary structural feature is the external portion. they are cuttable, though they are also thicker than common steerers, so don't get discouraged when it seems like it's taking longer than you're used to :-)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
varies way too much from scheme to scheme to quote a single figure...and I don't have particulars for any given current scheme either...but 500g is too high. maybe 100-200g for the non-Vapor-coat across a complete frameset. we've got lots of surface area as compared to, say, a Madone.

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Jul 17, 13 8:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, what's availability like?

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm absolutely fine with the color selection there, I just noticed that the colors weren't different for the unisex and the WSD. I did notice the color schemes you mentioned in the other post, but those are more and the price for the WSD was the same as the unisex and again, they were also the color selection for the unisex.

I was inquiring about the difference in sizing because I didn't think there was one and just wanted to know before I went to a shop...mostly because I just moved and don't have a shop I am familiar with and I guess it will part of my test for the them...if they try to stick me on a WSD and if they know there aren't differences ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shrink it and pink it :-p

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ha. This time they did neither, just labeled it.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
varies by region...your dealer(s) will have more up to date info on that that I will

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl:

The aerobars on the mono-extension (ski-bend style): they look like they are a fixed-distance apart, or can they be swiveled towards each other? My preference on current Bontrager ski-bend extensions is to rotate the ends so that they are closer together for a better hand position (it actually relieves pressure on my bad rotator cuff).

If they do not rotate, do you know how far apart they are?
Quote Reply

Prev Next