Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [drakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drakes wrote:
Carl, just built the fourth speed concept in store and we're having slight issues with the cable covers on the head stem. What we've seen in 3 of the 4 cases is the carbon fairing is not molded precisely to the metal stem, requiring sanding to allow for the counter sunk screw guides to line up with the threads in the head stem. Even after this they became very brittle and 2 have cracked from the back pressure from not meshing with the stem. (this is all installed using a torque wrench). Just wondering if there's any fix other than sanding that we're missing over here?

I was only able to get two of the three screws in to mine. Interested in Carl's reply.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off the top of my head, I don't have an answer for you. What would really help is for your shop to first try working this through their rep & our tech services channels, because that way we get a record of what's happening, where, how many, etc. I do my best to help answer end-user questions out here, but my connection to the corrective action process is somewhat indirect.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are only two bolts which connect the stem cover to the stem on the 2014 bike. On the old 9-series the situation you describe is sometimes caused by too much housing (or Di2 hardware) in the stem body vs in the bar or in the frame.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
There are only two bolts which connect the stem cover to the stem on the 2014 bike. On the old 9-series the situation you describe is sometimes caused by too much housing (or Di2 hardware) in the stem body vs in the bar or in the frame.

I meant 1 of 2 for the '14 bike. My brain still thinks in terms of the old bike.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl,

I'm looking at a Stages power meter to go with the stock 2014 Trek Speed concept in a size medium. Is the crank arm the standard 172.5mm?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [brooks5656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. 172.5 is spec'd on Mediums.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drakes, I have a Low far Stem that i can trade for your Mid far. PM or email me whartontuba@hotmail.com

Roberto From Honolulu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,
Will there be a version where the aero extensions can be twisted any time soon?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [tobythetuba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers roberto but i've already. Ordered one. Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [chayasit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now available (though quantities aren't large at the moment): the plug'n'play mono, PN 438481. First seen on Dirk Bockel's bike in this gallery. Takes your favorite extensions (standard 22.0-22.1mm diameter) so you can have your favorite shape and rotate it to your heart's content. If you want to cut the excess length off the back of your extensions for a cleaner look, just leave at least 15mm extending past the back of the clamp.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted this in another thread, but I thought maybe this would be a more appropriate spot for this question:

Will a Flo 90 with a Wheelbulider wheel cover fit on a 2014 SC 7.5?

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [brooks5656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't confirm because I don't have that combination handy, but with the usual tricks for improving on wheelbuilder's installation process (tape from the inside in particular) I suspect it would work.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I just received my SC 9.9 frameset. It does not come with the internal battery mount for Di2. What is the part number for the bracket? I read on this thread and you mentioned both W332400 and W327559. Which is the correct one for Shimano internal battery?

Regards,
Donald
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [leungti1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
w332400

time to go edit some posts I guess :-)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, looking at the pics of Bockel's bike in the link you provided, I can't quite tell how the di2 wires route through the extensions and into the plug'n'play mono. Can the wires somehow be routed cleanly just like with the stock SC monoextensions, or do the wires need to come out the back of the extensions and then somehow routed back into the plug'n'play (i.e. not completely internally routed)?

As an aside, I've had a SC for the past 3 months and am loving the bike. The lack of extension rotation is my only gripe, so I'm going to ask my LBS to order the plug'n'play mono - any idea of the cost / any update on availability?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you like the bike!

Plug'n'play still in stock in limited qty via the WI distribution center. Prices are set by dealers.

For routing purposes, it has access holes in the front which then send your wires/housing into the same channels found on the other mono-extensions. Getting from your extensions to those holes requires either a second access hole in the extensions (as found on our Carbon Ergo model on the original SC) or an external run of housing from the shifter to the mono.

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Dec 18, 13 9:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect, thanks Carl!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got my speed concept (love it!) and I am changing the spacer above the stem to hit my stack height... I do have one question: Somebody knows what is the set-screw that threads in the bottom part of the monolink clamp for? Seems to only thread in that piece, not doing anything else(?) The screw I am talking about ends up in the channel of the monolink slide when everything is assembled.

Also need to cut my extension ends. My Di2 shifters have a real short (32mm) clamping section, it seems like I should be able to cut a bit more than the provided 25mm cut length, which would make my setup a LOT better. Seems like there's plenty of room (another ~25mm or so) where the ID of the monolink is constant. How long are the longest shifters that were intended to fit there (by substracting my 32 mm, that tells me how much more I can cut and still have the shifters fitting...) (I understand I'll void the warranty on the monolink if I do so).

Thanks in advance!

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you like the bike, Thierry :-)

The setscrew is for locking in your tilt adjustment. Once you've dialed in the tilt with the two bigger bolts in front of it, you drive that down until it touches the back of the monospacer.

On the monospacer cutting, how about trying this: if you're sure you need more than the labeled cut length, why not cut them down to the labeled limit first and see how far off you are at that point. If you've got a set of calipers with a depth gauge you could even measure how much deeper the controlled ID section goes after that. I'd rather see you sneak up on the final point than go too far and not be able to come back!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying to size up my options for a Speed Concept. Current bike has a reach of ~530mm (though I'll probably move back 1-2cm) and stack is ~630mm. According to the charts, an XL+low-far fits perfectly, and an L+low-far fits with two monospacers and some pad adjustments. However, if I prefer some drop to the base-bar (and the shorter base-bar reach would be a bonus), would the Large be the better option?

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you've worked it through to the logical conclusion. In either case you've only got one monospacer (since only one goes on at a time...there are just different heights for each), but on the Large it's a taller one, which gives you that additional separation to the basebar.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure this has been asked before but there are wayyy too many pages to re-read just to find my answer but is it possible to install a 2013 sc9 front fork to a 2014 sc9 frame?
Last edited by: masa757: Dec 23, 13 6:01
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not backwards compatible, sorry.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed that fabian cancellara had a 2014 sc9 with the older sc9 fork? was that just super custom work?

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0yc8NzE-tI
Last edited by: masa757: Dec 23, 13 6:17
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the UCI legal version of the new fork looks a lot like the old one, that's all.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next