Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the integrated stem and aerobars, will we be able to easily disassemble the bars to lay on its side for travel purposes? Just got a BioSpeed travel case and want to be able to use my 2014 SC with it.

Doesnt seem like there will be slack for the cables to lay it down or am I missing something?

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No different from the previous model where cable slack is concerned...which is to say, once you've removed the stem cover and released the front brake wedge from between the brake arms, there should be enough to orient the bar and mono however you wish. Bonus on new bike: those last two are separate pieces once the bar bolts are undone, adding to the flexibility of placement.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Carl,

I am writing this post from Brazil where I just received my brand new 2014 9.9 SC with DA Di2, after receiving the bike I realized that the stem cover was broken and someone repaired with a plastic weld machine, is there any parts catalog that I can Identify the Part Number and order it on line?

Also the box was mounted below the front of the stem with velcro to attach it, is this a standard mount? Is there a way to mount the junction box inside that it stay all cobvered inside the stem cover ?

Thanks a lot.
Regards from Brazil.

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [albertoalmeida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Alberto-

The stem cover part# depends on which stem you have. Here's the table:

Low Near W326769

Low Far W326770

Med Near W326771

Med Far W326772

High Near W326773
High Far W326774

I don't know if there are any Trek dealers in Brazil who are set up for customer-based online ordering of parts. Any Trek dealer should be able to order the right cover for you though.

The new Di2 junction boxes (3-port and 5-port) were designed for external installations. You might be able to fit it inside a High Near or High Far stem, but even then it's likely to be a tight fit. Accordingly, we designed the stem covers with four thin-walled sections which you can see on the inside of the cover...they're easily drilled out so you can run zipties to fasten the junction box to the cover.

Carl Matson

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks a lot Carl, you really helped me.

regards.

Alberto.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [albertoalmeida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl, really struggling on what size & stem to order, here are my current bike measurements:

EPS 700
EPR 450
BBS 660
BBR 670

Can you help?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Diesel23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Diesel-

I'm going to start from the assumption that you like where you're at right now, with the coordinates you listed. Which new SC combo suits you best depends somewhat on your saddle height and how important your basebar coordinates are to you. Going on pad position alone, a Large with High-Near stem works...as does an XL with the Medium-Near stem. The latter is a better match for the basebar coordinates, but basebar shouldn't really be driving decisions for triathletes who have a solid aero position. That's why I bring your saddle height into it, to see where you're at in the ranges for both bikes.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Carl

Yes, very happy with current position, and would mind if my basebar moved a little. My saddle height is 80.5mm.

I came up with the same frame & stem combinations, but didn't know if it was better to go with the XL frame because it had a shorter stem (medium-near)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would certainly be the conventional ST wisdom...more frame, less "other stuff"...based in part on the fact most stack-related cockpit hardware has historically been less aero and heavier than what you'd otherwise get by sizing up on your frame. The weight consideration still rings true, but the stems and mono-spacers for the new SC are almost identical in width to the headtube beneath them...which doesn't render the aero point moot, but minimizes the impact greatly.

Saddle height isn't close enough to the limits of the OE post on either frame to make a difference...so we're back to cockpit coordinates and handling.

The XL will give you the best match to all your pad and basebar coordinates. The Large nails the pads but the basebar is going to be 5.5cm lower and about 4cm closer to you...something to consider when you imagine the effect on out-of-extensions and/or out-of saddle handling & comfort.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is definitely ST wisdom. What kind of weight savings are we looking at? Wouldn't the large frame with high near stem put my BBS only 21mm lower?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on weight I fell into the trap of considering the cockpit hardware by itself...once you account for weight associated with differences in frame and fork size, which includes paint, it's a wash at worst and any advantage to the smaller frame is going to be minimal at best.

I also see now that I mixed up the stems & frames in my calculation...giving you the deltas for a Medium-Near on a large...vs the High-Near which you'd need to use on that frame. Large-HN is indeed 21mm lower and 30-40mm closer to you. XL-MN is 3mm higher and 10-20mm closer.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help Carl.

I read the the 2014 SC frame weight was reduced 437g, is this reduction in frame and fork only, or does this it include the new aerobar? I would guess the aerobar must save 250g. Also is there also a weight reduction in the 2014 SC 7.5?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a combined weight savings of all the proprietary parts as well as the frameset. You're correct that the cockpit hardware represents the largest part of that total and your guess on how much is pretty good. The 7-series frameset did see a weight reduction too...in fact, at the frame and fork level it was probably a bigger % drop than on the 9-series.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So help me out here. If I am on a TTX with HED aero bars, how much faster will the new SC be for 40k and less? Assume the wheels and position will be unchanged. I would be averaging ~24-25 mph.

Thanks,
Brian
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should just say there are too many variables unaccounted for to come up with a # that'll just come back to haunt me.

Using the SC-to-SC improvements we claim for an IM distance @20mph in a couple different avg yaw cases, and estimating a little more improvement from TTX to original SC, I get a potential 30-60sec improvement for 40k. YMMV.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that is a difficult question to answer, but I appreciate you educated guess. Thanks.

Brian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Now that my frame is on the way I need to order a new bb,what is the best bb to get ? I herd lads on about some of the bb giving a lot of trouble and not lasting or is this down to the way they were fitted,is there one make bb better than the other ? I'm running rotor cranks at the moment and need to order a bb to work with them,

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you're running your rotors in your existing SC, then they're the Shimano-compatible version and they take Shimano bearings. from your Trek dealer:

411813 ceramic
404699 steel

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know roughly what the weight difference is between 7 and 9 series?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [roa11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roughly 325-350g at the unpainted frameset level.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Selling my long ergo mono extension, please see here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...long_%2480_P4812672/

Thanks,
Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does that compare to the old sc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, any updated ETA on the water bottle cage (and mount) for the aerobars. IMFL is looming and I'd like a BTA solution.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
series for series, about 200g lighter on the new model.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nothing to report, sorry. saw a picture or two (someone else's camera phone) from Kona where creative DIYers mounted a standard cage using one of the holes intended for the cage bracket and then ziptied the other end.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next