Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [maladow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure (about what's included)...but both versions of the cover use the same bolts...so you shouldn't need to order anything, just re-use what you've got.

ETA: parenthetical bit

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Jan 17, 14 13:48
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only problem is the two screw holes on the bottom of the brake cover do not have screws in them(I'm guessing this is where the fin mounts) and the shop I bought it from didn't give me any extra screws.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [maladow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, the fin is intergral to the cover...i.e. the Speedfin version of the rear brake cover is a single unit, which attaches to the brake and the frame with the same three bolts that your UCI cover does. The two holes you see on the UCI cover are for the external battery bracket (Di2 or EPS).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks carl that helps a lot, makes more sense now really appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, working with my LBS on upgrade from my 2011 to a new 2014 9.9 and I thought I read some where that there was no ez adjustment for brake caliper width when swapping wheels on the Di2 brake levers.
LBS owner also not sure. Is this correct and is there a work around if so, such as a barrel adjuster? Thanks so much as this impacts my decision significantly.
Jeff

Primum Non Nocere, except to Kempy!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Jeff B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jeff

It's true that rear brake width adjustments on the previous model were difficult (with any levers...not just Di2). It's not true at all on the 2014 bike. The rear brake now has the same width adjustment capability the front has always had: via a pair of 2mm setscrews which move the lower arms separately from the uppers...for both width and centering. As a bonus, both f&r can be adjusted without removing the brake covers AND the access for both arms in the rear is via the nondrive side. All of this is covered in the service manual which your dealer can download from Dexter Tech.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick reply Carl. You da man!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have any owners got a working solution for a bta waterbottle holder and computer mount? i know bontrager has a cage coming out but that seems to be months away? and using this cage and a bottle i'm not sure where i will mount a computer. has anyone got any other solutions?

for everyones info i have tried the xlab torpedo system with the mini mount but i couldn't get it working.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [stanlives] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using a Glen Alden Tri/TT BTA mount w/ computer mount and plan to transfer it to new bike as it has some adjustment capability. I have used it for a year and love it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stanlives wrote:
have any owners got a working solution for a bta waterbottle holder and computer mount? i know bontrager has a cage coming out but that seems to be months away? and using this cage and a bottle i'm not sure where i will mount a computer. has anyone got any other solutions?

for everyones info i have tried the xlab torpedo system with the mini mount but i couldn't get it working.

The Bontrager BTA cage/mount is already out. I have had it for over a month.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What GMAN said. In stock, in quantity, in all domestic warehouses. I'll grant there may be some delay outside the US, but if it's in stock here it can be obtained one way or another for anywhere. PN 436151.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again Carl. I ordered a black Di2 bike last night. Can't wait! Unfortunately, the lead time given yesterday was 18 days but today the time changed to 37-51 days and when LBS contacted Trek, they could offer no explanation. Argh. It is killing me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy (and sad) to hear about your order. As I often say, lead times can change daily, and we do our best to minimize the impact of lead-time factors we control...but there are many we don't as well...and while it worked against you between yesterday and today, it could just as easily work for you tomorrow. Or next week. Trying to think positively here :-)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I appreciate the sentiment Carl. LBS told me Trek underpromises and tends to overdeliver so we're hopeful it'll arrive before then and I can get it setup like current bike and get adapted well in advance of race season. Have been very impressed with my current SC 9.8 and riding buddy loves his new SC even more than his previous 9.8 so it is hard to delay my gratification.

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does any one know if the SC 9.9 2014 seat clamp is compatible with carbon saddle rails? or is there a carbon and non carbon part?

Mine came with the Fizik Tri2 Arione and I was looking to try out a Sitero Pro.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Wilkinb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new saddle clamp design handles any 2-rail system you want to throw in there...no need for a separate carbon-rail-specific post or parts anymore. You simply open the clamps a little wider to accept the taller-profile carbon rails.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey

I'm looking at a 2014 SC and posted some questions about the bike in another thread. But, it seems that may have been an error as there have been a few thread views but only one reply. Rather than cross post I'll see if I can link to the thread here. Any input / answers either here or on the other thread would be much appreciated.

Other thread: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4939199 (sorry can't do embeded links - too new a forum member)

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [lachlan73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brought the questions of the other post over here so i could keep the response(s) in one place :-)

lachlan73 wrote:
1. Am I right that the difference between the 7 and 9 series is that (A) the 9 series uses a "better" grade of carbon (so can basically be made a lighter (any idea what the weight difference is?) for the same strength) and (B) the 7 series has metal dropouts in the fork while the 9 series has a full carbon fork?

2. If 1 is right, that there should be no aerodynamic difference between the frames and it just comes down to weight and what components you use?

Pretty much correct on both counts. The 9 series is lighter due to a more advanced layup schedule and some higher performance different materials. Those dropout materials differences add up too...and the alu vs carbon applies to the frame dropouts as well as the fork. Between the frame and the fork the difference between 7- and 9-series is on the order of 200-250g...but it can vary quite a bit depending on paint job.

lachlan73 wrote:
3. Bonty don't do a disc wheel and so Trek don't give you any options for a rear disc as standard (best you can do is the Aeolus 9s). Am thinking of spec'ing the bike with the cheapest set of wheels possible and then getting a rear disc and race front wheel seperately. Any views on what disc (and/or front wheel) work best with the SC? It seems that the rear of the SC is reasonably well faired and so from what I can work out reading on here a flat disc might be the best way to go? Any recommendations (bearing in mind I'm clincher only - no tubs for me). EDIT - late thought, or should I look at getting a set of the Aeolus 7 or 9 and then getting a disc cover for the the rear wheel as a cover is supposed to be pretty close to equal with a disc in terms of aero or so I read ....

The latter.

lachlan73 wrote:
4. Aerobar wise I go for the ski-tip / "ergo" bars. I saw a mention somewhere here (but can't find it anymore) that there was now a way to set up the bike with aerobars where you could rotate the extensions rather than having to live with the perfectly parallel extensions on the standard aerobar (I've always had the bars in my clip on aerobars rotated slight in so that the tips are closer together than would be the case if the tips pointed straight up as this just seems to be more natural hand position wise for me). Does anyone know where I can find anything on this solution?

Right here. Only works with the new 7.5 and 9-series bikes though.

lachlan73 wrote:
5. Anyone got anything to tell me about how good or bad the bike is to travel with in terms of time and pain in the A factor for getting into a box and then rebuilding? My road bike is great - wheels off, pedals off, stem and bars off and twisted beside the bike and into the bike box it goes.

Some thoughts on that. I also take the rear derailleur hanger off with the derailleur still attached, wrap it in bubblewrap or a rag and ziptie to the inside of the rear triangle...because I like keeping vulnerable bits out of harm's way when shipping.

lachlan73 wrote:
6. Once a decision is made on the bike I then need to look at power meters. I think power2max is the way I'll go (road bike has one and it's worked well so far). Anyone have any experience of what cranks and rings to go with? I've got Rotor 3D cranks and Stronglight rings on the road bike and they work well but the shifting is not quite as good as the original Shimano DA shifting (am thinking about replacing the Stronglight rings on the road bike to see if I can get something that's a bit "cleaner" shifting wise).

Not much to add here except to pay attention to what BB standards your choice of PMs comes in. Anything with a 30mm spindle (BB30, BBRight, BB386EVO, old Zipp VumaChrono, Rotor 3D+, etc) isn't going to fit in an SC, wireless SRMs work but older wired models don't, and not all of FSA's carbon models work but some do.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, why are we not allowed to order the plug and play mono in order to have the rotating extensions on a project one bike? It hurts me to spend an additional almost $400 to get this ability when it is available for Trek and I am buying a special order bike. Seems like they could make that available at a minimum on project one bikes and save consumers a little bit of cash and avoid having a very pretty but expensive paper weight for your desk. Sorry to gripe but I wondered if maybe this was a possibility and my LBS was just unaware...or am I pipe dreaming?
Thx

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your shop hasn't asked their rep about how this might be done, then everyone is simply assuming it can't be. This is not the same as saying it can be, or will be, but you don't know until you try.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will ask again! Thx!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I can use some help sizing a 7.5. I do a lot of short course racing and like to ride on the aggressive side.

Base Bar Stack 492
Arm Pad Stack 530
Arm Pad Reach 495
Base Bar Reach 660

I'm thinking the a Small Low-Far is the only thing that will get me close to my current setup, but I'll give up about 25mm of arm pad stack because it looks like the lowest stack I can achieve is about 555. Is the correct? If so, any suggestions.

FWIW, I'm riding an 08' Seduza with an adjustable stem. Based on wind tunnel testing, I'm estimating that I should be about 40-60 seconds faster in a 40k (assuming I don't give anything back with a less aggressive position). Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks Carl.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [smarty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy-

I agree that, on balance, the Small with low-far probably does the best job of matching your current coordinates...with the exception of pad stack. That's an important one so, assuming you're pretty dialled in on it, I might suggest looking at a 7.0, which would allow you to drop your current cockpit with the adjustable stem onto the rest of our improvements. Then you can experiment with pad stack - note how some of the participants in the recent aero camp @ERO found a little higher was faster - and if you end up within the range of our integrated bar hardware you can upgrade at that time.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it is as I suspected: There's a certain limit as to how "low" you can get the front end on the 7.5 and 9er SC...
My question because of the rather high stack on the non exchangeable aerobars is: Is there any negative stem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl. I forgot to mention I'm currently using 172.5 crank arms, does the small comes with something smaller (i.e. 165's)? If so, I may be able to cut into some of the difference. Also, any general insight on the drag impact of using an adjustable stem on a 7.0? Yes, I've been reading the aero camp post and wondering if an integrated front end, although a little higher stack, may be faster than using an adjustable stem to get low. Hmmm.... Thanks again!
Quote Reply

Prev Next