Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon and Carl...never seen in the same place at the same time...same person?

Methinks you overestimate Damon's knowledge of this bike.

Carl, OTOH, said the previous edition of the 7srs was the same from the headtube back. Doesn't preclude the same from being true this time around...doesn't prove it either.

As for being in the wild...some wild animals are really hard to find. Doesn't mean they aren't out there.

No apology necessary :-)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the max width for the arm pads, center-to-center? I had to frankenstein a set of pads to hit the width I needed, but I'm afraid, due to the new extension(s), that I'm not going to be able to get wide enough...
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [vicmasters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Added one more position outboard of the old setup, which adds about 30mm to what we had. So, depending on where you decide the center is, the new max width is on the order of 240-250mm.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Afraid I can't comment on that right now...other than to say the 2013 7series uses pretty much everything (feature-wise) on the 2013 9series from the headtube on back...and we even put as much of it as we could into the 2-series bikes...so we seem to have a history of some trickle-down. Maybe even more than a trickle.

Sorry, Carl, I did mean you rather than Damon. for obvious reasons, I will always think of him as a Trek employee. Quoted above, you will see the specific thing to which I was referring.

Re-reading that, I see where I went down the wrong path. This was a claim about the 2011-2013 line, rather than the new version. I was mistaken as to it's relevance to the new line.

Either way...if you make it both aero, AND affordable, I will be in line. Trek geometry has always handled better for me than other designs, so I am happy to keep sending my money your way.

chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Carl. Can you imagine any scenario that could get me to 280mm without resorting to the steerer stub and a different bar?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's all good chris...I knew exactly what happened. very much appreciate your loyalty, and the challenge of keeping it.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [vicmasters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nothing that leaps to mind, sorry. we knew from the first time around that we had some work to do in this regard, and challenged the component team to get out there as far as they could without compromising on structural and aero considerations.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Are the new draft box and bento box for the 2014 SC 9 compatible with the 2012 SC 9?

Thanks

Ray
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [raypratt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedbox doesn't mate up to the previous SC cable cover as cleanly as it does the new toptube shape in that area, but it fits. Draftbox isn't backwards compatible.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as i am readying to pull the trigget - one very important question.

the cables are nicely hidden and the set up is perfect - question is will there be enough of the cable to pack the bike into a bikebox without the necessity of puling al the cables out. I am travelling to all my races that is why it is such a priority for me
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never found I had to disconnect any cables on the previous bike for packing. That said, this one is even better in some respects: the mono-extension and the bar are routed separately, so you can position them independently in your bike box.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks Carl - all i wanted to hear

also i am assuming the use of race XXX lite brake levers can help in adjusting between narrower and wider rims

so the only thing that is missing is the incomaptibility with 30mm cranks - ie rotor 3d+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race uci TT's and triathlons. What specifically will be different if I order a 2014 speed concept uci legal vs the regular version? and are all the uci legal parts ready right now?

Thanks

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The RXXXL levers can help with rim width changes, but on the new SC (and the front of the old 9series) the better way is via the centering adjustment setscrews built into the upper brake arms. That way you're not changing the position of the brake wedge between the arms and causing the arms to sit outside the fork profile (when using the RXXXL barrels to bring the pads in to narrow rims from an originally wide setup, for example).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, for the 2014 SC, which models will have the US-made frameset?

thanks,
Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fork, bar, and rear brake cover will be different when you order the UCI version. I don't see any change in leadtime for a UCI-equipped bike vs non-UCI, so I take that to mean the parts are available for bike & frameset purposes...aftermarket I'm not as clear on just yet.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new SC was designed here and is made by our overseas partners. Unfortunately, I think some of the early press pieces were mistaken on this point.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so no more time trial bike production in the u.s. for trek? Its not a big deal for me as a consumer but seems like a big shift for trek.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it should be cheaper then.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just noticed on the trek website that the Speed Concept 9.5 page lists "upgrades from 7.5" and all it says is carbon quality, full carbon fork and bontrager tlr wheelset. It looks like the 7 series could be the big news this season for trek.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
So it should be cheaper then.

Cue - 7 series with the exact same shapes and integrated front/fork.

But still. The 9 series should now be cheaper!

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone who ordered one got theirs in yet? 14 days out from my order for me will be Wednesday, no word from my LBS on exact date yet.

Also, still looking for the new speed accessories, nothing on Trek/Bontrager site.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I thought that the defense grade carbon only could be used for manufacturing in the US?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [jdcsbrsk8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...and I believe we only use that description for our USA-made OCLV 700 products like the Madone 7-series. The new 9-series Speed Concept is an OCLV 600 frame.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next