Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl : Thank you for the detailed answer! One more precision regarding the medium frame options...

Will my 760mm BB to Grip Reach dimension (incl di2 shifter pods) be a problem with either low stems i looked into for the MED frame, knowing that i will have a di2 junction box (may limit back position of the mono, knowing I want to run a bottle on the mono so puttiong the JB there is not OK) and the available cut length of the S Bend bar?

From "base Bar Reach" dimension, is there an equation that can give you the range of the extensions end position? That could help other people to check that parameter.

Thanks again for your feedback. This info is not on the chart and I would hate to spend so much $ to find out I ordered the wrong size.

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Last edited by: spocket: Nov 16, 13 6:14
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw 2014 Trek Speed Concept at LBS. It looked so sweet and nice but it is very pricey. My question is how is huge difference between 2011 Trek Speed Concept 9.8 (My current bike) to 2014 Trek Speed Concept 9? Is it worth for me to upgrade to 2014 Trek SC with huge bang of $$? Or I could upgrade my current bike little bit with cheaper $$?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Dan7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan7 wrote:
I just saw 2014 Trek Speed Concept at LBS. It looked so sweet and nice but it is very pricey. My question is how is huge difference between 2011 Trek Speed Concept 9.8 (My current bike) to 2014 Trek Speed Concept 9? Is it worth for me to upgrade to 2014 Trek SC with huge bang of $$? Or I could upgrade my current bike little bit with cheaper $$?

I have a '11 SC 9 and I bought a '14 SC 9 right when it was announced. Is it worth it is a question only you can answer. It's going to be negligibly faster so there's really no bang for your buck there. It is way easier to work on and it's more user friendly in every way. Is that worth several thousand dollars?

Bikes are my one guilty pleasure in life so that's about the only reason I bought it.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Max extension reach before shifters is frame reach plus ~395mm for the long monos (includes the S-bend) on "far"stems. Frame reach plus ~352mm on "near" stems.

Your desired shifter reach with either of the low stems (on a Medium frame) and the S-bends is likely to require an alternate location for the junction box. If you're running the bottle on the mono, the back of the cage is one option.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan7 wrote:

What do you mean by "upgrading" your current bike?
What is it that you intend to upgrade?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upgrade the components to Di2 or Carbon Clincher wheelset (Ex: Zipp 808 firecrest).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then I would recommend you upgrade your current SC. Based on the cost estimates of doing this versus purchasing a new SC 2014, the value added per dollar spent will be higher on the upgrades. You can always get the 2014 SC when and if you want - and be able to transfer all the "upgrade" items from your current SC to the new SC.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If ya buy a new SC, are you keeping the old bike?

Gonna give ya an example, I get a new iPhone every 2 years. I never need a new one, it's that resale is still fairly high at year 2, so it's usually a wash, and I have a new phone. Last year sold my iPhone4 on eBay for $295. After eBay fees, Bought my I5 and had enough left for the otter box.

I do same with bikes. I betting there is somebody out there that had a TTX, wanted to get a SC. If ya wait too long, resale will be an issue on your current bike. That said, in a few years, the original SC's will be a desired bike for new triathletes with limited funds.

I sold my 2011 7series, just picked up my 2014 7.5 on sat. Got a amazing deal on the new bike. Sold my zipp 808/606's as well. Replacing them with FLO's on the new bike. Bike/wheels sold-Bike wheels bought was only $700 more
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Firstly thanks for all your previous assistance. I have been riding my new 7.5 in oz over the last 3 weeks & loving it.

In regard to the aero bar bottle cage and mount, is the mount ( the long thin plastic piece mounted directly onto the mono extensions) available as an individual item. Eg. I don't have to buy bottle cage with it. I've already got an xlab system and would prefer to use that cage.

Cheers

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [lazlo51] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Tom-

Right now it comes only as part of the SC WB Cage (PN 436151). I don't think you'd have any trouble unloading the cage by itself, as it's not really specific to the rail and has features others might appreciate in a BTA installation: open sides (no forearm irritation), computer mount, long slots for fore-aft mounting flexibility, and a nice stiff carbon construction for bottle retention.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey lads,

I have just got my low-near stem today,I have a low-far stem and cover if anyone needs one,never used as I have not finished building it yet,I can stick it up in the adverts for sale later,it might save someone waiting for a back order stem if there not in stock,I'm in Ireland so post would have to be covered,I will sell for the same it cost me,

Cheers zip,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the speedy reply.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got to say I'm very disappointed with trek availability in Australia. First up I went to order a project one podium with the 3 color option. The lead time was 6 months! As if. So I went with the liquid red trek, a lead time of ~ 6 weeks. Well that time has passed, all the shop can tell me is that its delayed. After asked for more detail and all they can tell me is that they don't know whats going on. No idea on delivery time. I bought it for IM Bussleton, which is in 10 days, so I wont have it for that. Pretty poor really. These dates should be realistic so people can make informed decisions. The shop has had 50% of my money in this time too.

I'd really like to be posting to the speed concept owers thread by now.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Zip,

I'm in Australia and would be keen for your low-far stem. How much are you after - plus postage of course?

Cheers, Neil
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [mendne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I paid €56 for the low-near so that's all I'm after for this one,not looking to make money on it just get back what I paid,ill look at post cost later today and let you know post cost,

Cheers zip,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds good - let me know. I'm in Perth Australia. Cheers Neil.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Sorry I did not get to post office yet with work,ill run in before lunch today and let you know straight away,

Cheers zip,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mendne wrote:
Sounds good - let me know. I'm in Perth Australia. Cheers Neil.

Hi,

I have looked at anpost.ie online,I priced 0.5kg packet and it looks like €5 standard post or €9 registered post,both say 5/7 days,I don't think it would be more than 0.5kg inc packing,let me know how that sounds to you,have a look on there web and see what you think,

Cheers Noel,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds great, can we pay you by paypal, if you send me a request for money I'll pay you, mendne@hotmail.com. Let me know if you are ok with this?

Regards

Neil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can the speed fin be used instead of the prior flat cover on the 2011 7.5 SC?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [robbarrett964] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not backwards compatible, sorry.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

That's sound with me,I'll send you a pm with details,

Cheers Noel,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I just sent you pm with details for post and payment for stem,

Cheers Noel,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, just built the fourth speed concept in store and we're having slight issues with the cable covers on the head stem. What we've seen in 3 of the 4 cases is the carbon fairing is not molded precisely to the metal stem, requiring sanding to allow for the counter sunk screw guides to line up with the threads in the head stem. Even after this they became very brittle and 2 have cracked from the back pressure from not meshing with the stem. (this is all installed using a torque wrench). Just wondering if there's any fix other than sanding that we're missing over here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet it could've been if you'd wanted to ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next