Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Feb 22, 22 2:44
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats Big John!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Anna, and congratulations to you too!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [tribern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations to you and your achievement as well!

My last run (this morning) went pretty well—all things considered. Initially, I thought about not going for it; my legs just didn’t feel strong and it was on the cooler side: 4 degrees Celsius. Plus, I didn’t have time to run a kilometer or two to warm up, so the 5k would have to suffice. But once I made the first crosswalk, I thought, “just put in a good, strong effort and see what happens.”

The first kilometer was too fast, despite having to dodge the city tree-trimming crews using one of those cranes with a basket; the second kilometer felt pretty darn good and under control; kilometer three also was decent given that there is a nasty little uphill section; number four I had to slow down to make the crosswalk and dodge the tree trimmers again; and the final kilometer was less than spectacular, except the last 200 meters, where I sucked it up and pushed hard again.
End result: 19:50
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Anna! And congratulations to you for making the full 100 runs.

While I look forward to not running every single day, I’ll miss the purpose and eventual lack of run fitness that always accompanies the end of the Challenge. Too bad the Frankfurt Half Marathon was canceled this year (again).

Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you get the two runs in to make 100?

I finished up this morning with just over 100 runs. I now have a four-year streak of running each day of the Challenges. I should probably skip the first day of the Challenge next year in order to take the pressure off, but I have 265 days to think about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had too many work related meetings/deliverables so far this morning. As it stands looks like a run-swim and lunch and late tonight a 30 min treadmill shuffle to try to hit 100!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Monthly 5k check in.

nov 15: 3.11 mi @ 6:22 mi /pace
dec 28: 3.17 mi @ 6:20 mi/pace (course 50-100m longer depending whose gps)
jan 22: 3.10 mi @ 6:25 pace
feb 8: 3.14 @ 6:20 pace
feb 13: 3.01 @ 6:36 pace
feb 22: 3.12 @ 6:25 pace

last day of the challenge so one more 5k.. I did it via a modified "michigan" workout of :
1600m @ 10k pace, 1200 @ 5k pace, 800 @ 3k pace, 400 @ mile pace all with 400 recoveries at Marathon Pace.
Total time = 19:58, but i missed the marks on mid set of the paces

would have been interesting if I tracked my HR progression like henkedejk did.

Lesson learned from my previous years doing this challenge...... volume is king in race performances
Last edited by: synthetic: Feb 22, 22 8:24
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice job Big John—101 runs!

Time for a beer :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! And congratulations to you...and to everyone! I just ran my last run on the track on the base here before the rain came. I still have to synch the last four runs to Strava and then to this site, so perhaps a beer tonight while I do all that is in order!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations everybody!

Even as a daily runner, it's nice having this for a little variety. I committed to outside every day and the distance requirement makes it hard to do a short route and come home. Winter isn't the most fun here on the IL/WI border. My dogs have enjoyed it as well. Now it's off into the ice storm for the last run of the challenge!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge completed!!!!

I want a medal!!! Ehhhh, how about a certificate!?... maybe, uhhh,... a t-shirt?

Thanks everyone! This was great, love the support here. Great challenge over the winter, I feel stronger than ever heading into tri season.

And I am throwing out my running shoes! (really just an excuse to buy a new pair).

Cheers!!!

Alain.
Last edited by: abenz: Feb 22, 22 12:03
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [abenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abenz wrote:
Challenge completed!!!!

I want a medal!!! Ehhhh, how about a certificate!?... maybe, uhhh,... a t-shirt?

Thanks everyone! This was great, love the support here. Great challenge over the winter, I feel stronger than ever heading into tri season.

And I am throwing out my running shoes! (really just an excuse to buy a new pair).

Cheers!!!

Alain.

Congrats on the great achievement. I remember reading your post about a certificate earlier in the thread. I make these for the soccer teams I coach.

Here you go!

direct link: https://i.postimg.cc/g2LmM8Qc/abenz.jpg

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A drizzly Southern California morning. Run 100 in 100 days, 15 consecutive years, slowtwitch.com. There you have it, it’s a wrap.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Flemish Arrow! Being part of this community and having the encouragement you all gave me made it more enjoyable.

City running is often like that, but congrats for going under 20:00 despite the urban obstacles and bottlenecks! Also, amazing to hear of your 4 year streak of running every day of the Challenge, well done!
Last edited by: tribern: Feb 22, 22 14:28
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats everyone; I finished with a very slow morning run on a 2mm thick layer of ice. Thankfully I didn't slip and fall, and all of my 99 runs were outside, most longer than 5K, and no days off except for day 1 (day 0 was Madison Marathon). I will hit 100 tomorrow, a day late and a dollar short.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [abenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abenz wrote:
Challenge completed!!!!

Cheers!!!

Alain.

Chapeau on completing the Challenge Alain! You deserve new shoes!

I didn't realise how quickly my 4 year old running shoes (with relatively few Ks on them) would break down when running so frequently, but it was noticeable after about 100km. So, out to the duty free mall and scored a new pair marked down by 60% (they had a mark on them which came out easily at home).

Ceremoniously donated the old ones to a thrift store as they still look and feel ok to walk in, and proudly running in my new ones which will remind me of this Challenge every time!
Last edited by: tribern: Feb 23, 22 2:04
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [3TiPaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3TiPaul wrote:
Congrats everyone; I finished with a very slow morning run on a 2mm thick layer of ice. Thankfully I didn't slip and fall, and all of my 99 runs were outside, most longer than 5K, and no days off except for day 1 (day 0 was Madison Marathon). I will hit 100 tomorrow, a day late and a dollar short.

I am currently at 99 after my morning run. Getting on my treadmill probably at 11:30 pm and leaving my last run to the last minute in full procrastination mode LOL!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The final weekend (well, sort of 4 days) of this year's 100 in 100 threw quite a bit at me. It all started off with a snowshoe race - sadly, my only one of this season - on Saturday morning. Just getting there was a bit of an ordeal!

I ended up picking up race kits for no less than 11 people who decided against trying the journey to the race site from my area through whiteout conditions due to blowing snow in up to 74kph/46mph wind gusts. The high was to be -8c/18f with windchill of -19c/-2f.

Things had not improved when I went out for a ~1km warmup run. The start was delayed by 10mins due to the sheer number of people who got stuck in snowdrifts on the road into the race site trying to get there before 9am.

The drifted snow in the open field portion of the course (an emergency re-route after the race director ran the original course the night before, and stepped through the snow into knee-deep water) offered almost no flotation even in snowshoes

Highly discouraged, I made my way back toward the building, noting that I'd have to go up the hill on which it sat.

A few minutes later we were off - me with a buff over my face (from a previous snowshoe race) to keep from getting it sandpapered off by the blowing snow

Of course the photographer had to set herself up at the top of that stinkin' hill, so I had to run it!

I had pulled the buff down off my face for some easier breathing when we turned away from the wind, but when I tried to pull it back up as the course turned into the wind again, I found it was nothing but a frozen lump around my neck. Oh well..

One girl got past me on the 2nd lap (there was a 4k and 8k race: I did the 8k, so 2 loops of the course), but I managed to pass a girl I've raced against a few times on snowshoes in the last mile and hold her off, while also maintaining a gap on another girl who was a threat from behind me. Took me over an hour to cover the 8km, but with a negative split (31m/30m) due to the snow getting packed down a bit in the forested sections: 18/47 OA, 5/24 women, and 3rd of 15 W40+ - not exactly great, but not terrible.

I went inside, got changed, had a snack, then went back out again a little more than an hour later.

You couldn't see any evidence at all in the open field that 87 people (40 in the 4k, 47 in the 8k) had been through on snowshoes just an hour beforehand.

I took my phone this time, taking it easy with my hip flexors very stiff after the race. Was able to get a couple of shots of the course for the race report before it froze up and shut down in the howling wind.

There was a trail race on the same course at noon, and I hadn't made it off the course yet (I did a loop and a half for 6km) by the time it started and the lead runners started coming past. I stayed out of everyone's way as best I could, but ended up in the official photos.

I managed to get my phone warmed up enough to get one last shot of the course - the prettiest spot out there. I'd never seen it in winter before, but I'd run through it 50 times (25 laps; this bridge is on an out-and-back portion of the course) in June 2019 when I ran 100km from sun up to sun down in another race put on by the same directors.

Sunday dawned sunny and milder but still horribly windy as I went for a little trot in the trails down the hill and across the river. I ran into a bit of drifting that felt tough to deal with after the snowshoe race the day before.

Most of the trails were nicely packed, though, as the temperature climbed toward the freezing mark.

..until I got up on top of the hill that leads to the other trailhead, where a thin line of low trees and bushes separate a farm field from the trail. I'd seen drifting up there before due to strong wind, but this time the trail just disappeared.

It's not a big tract, so I needed the out-and-back to the other trailhead (about 300m further up) in order to get the minimum 5k without needing to double back. So, I tried to hug the bushes to the left, stamped my foot up to see if the snow would hold my weight...and stepped in up to my hip.

(My one visible leg looks like I'm kneeling on the snow because I had to sort of crawl out of the drift; I was pretty stuck for a moment or two and wondered if I'd be able to extricate myself!)

The rest of the way up to the trailhead featured a few more knee-deep drifts, but I was able to slog along ok through them.

As I turned around and made my way back, it was astonishing to see how the wind had filled in my footprints - some of these were more than a foot deep, and they had almost completely disappeared.

I got myself back out again, and then we set off for my old home town to visit my mum...after another run (it's about an hour's drive from one trailhead to the other).

Beautiful sunshine and even milder, though the wind was still pretty fierce. I checked out a side trail I hadn't done before, found some singletrack at the end of it, and followed it until it disappeared under water.

Back the way I'd come, I hit the bridge across the Credit River to head up the main trail. I didn't make it very far, as the river had its own ideas.

I've been known to do some stupid stuff, but that was a hard nope. So, back up the side trail, I found another bit of singletrack, and played "how much weight will this ice hold?" for a bit.

I didn't get wet, so we'll call it a win.

As some sort of redemption for the struggles, Monday (the Family Day holiday for us in Ontario, Canada) brought an absolutely beautiful run at one of my favourite local tracts. I'd feared a lot of slush, and while there was a bit, conditions were mostly amazing!

It was a bit soft here and there - the snow would collapse underfoot, which was a bit of an energy drain - but the sun was lovely and I really enjoyed myself.

I didn't even need a jacket (it was about 2c/36f with mild wind), and played around on some of the mountain bike trail features that have popped up on these trails in the last couple of years.

(Running along about a 1 foot diameter fallen tree that mtb'ers have been using as a skinny)

I'd only meant to run about 5km, but I was happy out there, and sort of mistook one pine forested section (that leads to the back of the tract) for another (that leads out of the tract), so ended up running closer to 9km instead.

Home for a bite to eat, then back out after sunset for my final double - the third in as many days - of the 100 in 100 for this year.

I was a bit concerned when signs appeared as a road crossing indicating the trail was closed due to flooding, but perhaps they were pre-emptive for the rainstorm that was blowing in today? I didn't find any flooded spots, though I wasn't keen on this section of deep, mashed potato snow.

(I had to go through it twice, as it was an out-and-back)

Still, I'd take any of the above over today! Had it not been for the 100 in 100 I might have considered just not running today, as I'm swamped at work and it's been pouring rain on top of the ice and slush all day.

But I got it done, despite a less-than-waterproof jacket!

Final total: 114 runs, about 710km. Not my best showing, but considering I've been working 12+hr days through most of this and it's been a tough winter for these parts, I'll take it!

Congrats to all who participated, especially those that exceeded their own expectations!

Quote | Reply
Really really appreciate your detailed run reports with pictures! I get to live through you even though I would love to do sport in the snow again
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brilliant, and brilliant work, all of you!

There's a bit of data cleanup to do. I've found a bunch of duplicated entries (found a glitch in the strava sync if you're impatient and reload the page), found a bunch that are within the 1-hour window, found a few that are over the 3/day limit, and a few that are all of the above.

Once I get the data cleaned up in the next couple days, I have a special update for everyone in their account page.

Cheers,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
abenz wrote:
Challenge completed!!!!

Cheers!!!

Alain.

Congrats on the great achievement. I remember reading your post about a certificate earlier in the thread. I make these for the soccer teams I coach.

Here you go!

direct link: https://i.postimg.cc/g2LmM8Qc/abenz.jpg

I love it! Thank you!!!!

(crazy what I do for paper glory....)
:)

Alain.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where's that fucking "Like" button? Fuck that, where's the "LOVE" button?

So ... to all those who made 100/100 or better ... you taking tomorrow off? LOL

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not tomorrow...it will be 68F here! Maybe Thursday/Friday if it is cold and rainy though.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge (2021/22, the 15th annual) Discussion thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for you work supporting this. I just got number 100 done...an easy vibrams treadmill run. 100 runs, 700km, and during these 100 days, around 1400km biking, 175km swimming and 925km XC skiing and 10,000m swim as 25x400IM and a 50km XC ski race....training for these two events made the running in 100/100 really tough as most day I was trying to layers on either a big XC ski or a big swim day (Nov 15-Dec 31 I was primarily training for swim event at end of Dec and Jan 1 to Feb 20th largely for the ski event)....between training for other sports and actually missing days of running to accommodate those events, it made the entire running part hard to fit in, but this challenge forced me to do so. That's 3 years in a row hitting 100 runs.....800km in 2020, 1000km in 2021, 700km in 2022.

Thanks slowman for hosting this!

Looks like well over 100 will hit over 100 runs, around 50 will hit 800km/500 miles which is ~5 miles per day running!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next