Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:
The way the calendar is and w/ Tokyo in 2021, the USA qualification race is actually less than 2 years away. Is that correct? I thought the test event is approx 1 year prior to the games. That puts us around 22-23 months away from qualification.

Weird to think its that close.

Qualification typically involves two 1 year periods, starting two years out. The test event factors key in most countries' selection processes, but is not central to the overall qualification, other than carrying the same point value as the Grand Final in the overall qualification scheme. Qualification would start sometime next summer, likely June. Once the qualification process is announced (which will probably be early in 2022), then countries typically define their selection criteria.

In terms of 2022 season, I agree, the bleed over is awkward, because we're going to have a 5 event series this year, and then maybe a 10 event series next year (the usual 7, +3 in 2021)?
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heat lists are up for Montreal's friday Eliminator Qualification, top 10 from each advance, the rest end up in a repechage heat where the top 10 also advance to Saturday's finals. They're calling for pretty shite weather for Friday in Montreal at the moment as well, which could make things interesting with a pretty fast and technical course in Old Montreal...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No Beth Potter. Allegedly Tri Canada cocked up her visa. She was reaching out to Tri Canada, ITU and Brit Tri over weekend but didn’t get sorted out in time to be able to do the first race.

That will cost her as she is now one race short on the series.

Several athletes have been posting about how bad Air Canada have been. Lost bags, missed flights due to connections being impossible. Note to self don’t fly Air Canada!
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This ITU new format is s***. They are copying superleague and I wonder if there are no more solutions. I think there are:
- Combine no draft and draft legal racing in the WTS
- Challenging bike courses, 2 or 3 loops like Arzachena´s, Kietzbuehel´s or Athens´
- Add time bonifications (end of the swim, mid bike....)

these short formats are turning s/b/r into transition competitions. 5 seconds lost in T1 or T2 is game over.... Also, mature triathletes in their 30s will struggle as their recovery time is slower and their explosiviness cannot compare with guys/girls in their early 20s.... I thought the MTR was enough but seems ITU is losing ground and have no idea how to not get stuck in the middle of the appeal for Superleague and IM...already happened with the long distance ITU championships... I did not want to belive it, but in this way, the only role for the WTS will be the path to qualify for the olympics...

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Last edited by: juanillo: Aug 10, 21 1:26
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
No Beth Potter. Allegedly Tri Canada cocked up her visa. She was reaching out to Tri Canada, ITU and Brit Tri over weekend but didn’t get sorted out in time to be able to do the first race.

Several athletes have been posting about how bad Air Canada have been. Lost bags, missed flights due to connections being impossible. Note to self don’t fly Air Canada!

ugh. thus is awful if it's true.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:

I'm not sure that all of this is true (the fault in this that is, I fully believe that her visa got cocked up). Tri Canada had no role to play in people getting their Visa, other than issuing invitation letters to athletes who were registered by their federations, which was done weeks ago (unless they were late substitutions). The issue that she likely ran into was waiting too long to get the Visa sorted (the elite athlete guide was released a couple of weeks ago and warned people that Visas could take a while so not to wait), and their was a firm cut off date of August 8th for athletes to be on the ground in Montreal in order to be eligible to compete (because of the 3day strict quarantine in their hotel rooms that the Government of Canada had implemented, before a softer quarantine where they can move freely about the hotel and in groups between training venues and the race site and the hotel, they needed to be there by then so that they would be done the strict quarantine by this afternoon, so that they could pick up their kits following the virtual briefing, which is normally two nights before the race for all World tri events). If she got her invitation letter, it would really be between her, Brit Tri and the governments in terms of getting things processed on time for her to make the travel. It sucks that she will miss Montreal, but I assume she'll fly over this weekend to start her strict quarantine in Edmonton assuming she got her Visa sorted to race the Grand Final...

Most Canadians widely know that Air Canada blows, especially if you're traveling with a bike. I've been lucky in that I've managed to dodge flying Air Canada with my bike mostly and used other airlines (I did fly Air Canada to Penticton for Multisport Worlds, but I shipped my bike out by ground, so they couldn't screw that up), and had no issues with missing luggage (the only time I've lost luggage was flying in the US with Jet Blue, and they were good and couriered my bags to me in Canada a day later when they arrived...). In general when flying for races, I try to book the least number of transfers possible (to reduce the number of times luggage moves between planes to reduce the odds of one of them being screwed up) and I tend to book with longer layovers to reduce likelihood of missed connections (even if it means longer travel days and hours hanging out in airports) to try to avoid that, since that would be my nightmare for my bike not to arrive on time for the race (I saw that Erika Ackerlund was one who's bike was stuck in the southhern US, and was trying to get a rental arranged for the race; and Sophie Coldwell had some issues, but I think her bike at least made it)...

I disagree with the hate for the format, yes, it's egregious copying of Superleague, and yes, I would have similar objections if half of the WTCS followed this format, but it's a fun riff on the heats and finals sprint/super sprint mix which has been on the continental and world cup circuits for years (Tiszy and Chengdu at the WC level, on the continental cup level, Canada has run our nationals with that format between 2017-2019 which is also a continental cup race, amongst others). I suspect that we'll see an eventual split with two different overall rankings like they do in Nordic Skiing, a Sprint and a standard ranking, with Sprint distance and super sprints counting for the sprint classification and Standard distances (and maybe allowing for 1-2 sprint results to be included) for that ranking. If I had to guess, I would say they would have 5-6 races on each series with 4 counting towards your rankings (or possibly 4 and 4, with 2-3 sprint distance races that would be joint and could count for either ranking). We'll also see how this weekend goes, if the format is a trainwreck, this could be the first and last World Tri Eliminator race, but I can't see that happening... It could get really interesting, as the weather is dicey on at least one of the days of racing (it was shite for friday, but now they're saying friday might be ok, but saturday could be pretty wet) this weekend, and it's a pretty technical course, so it will be great viewing on Tri Live (there are technically no spectators allowed on the venue, meaning in the Grand Quai where the swim and Tzones are, but the bike and the run go onto city streets, so you could spectate from there, they just warned people in the AG race briefing the other day that if they have spectators with them to watch, to make sure that they circulate, rather than park in one spot, because there may be by-law officers that might ask them to move along if they are set up and not moving). As someone who is a fan of all Tri race distances, and with a softspot for the short and fast stuff, I'm excited to watch. I will say having been at Superleague races before with this format, that it is a great spectator friendly format, and it's a tough one for athletes, and whiley it might bias towards the younger athletes, you have several over 30 who have had success in those distances on the SL circuit... The downside for Montreal is that unlike at a superleague race, there's no Beer Garden overlooking the TZone...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:

I'm not sure that all of this is true (the fault in this that is, I fully believe that her visa got cocked up). Tri Canada had no role to play in people getting their Visa, other than issuing invitation letters to athletes who were registered by their federations, which was done weeks ago (unless they were late substitutions). The issue that she likely ran into was waiting too long to get the Visa sorted (the elite athlete guide was released a couple of weeks ago and warned people that Visas could take a while so not to wait), and their was a firm cut off date of August 8th for athletes to be on the ground in Montreal in order to be eligible to compete (because of the 3day strict quarantine in their hotel rooms that the Government of Canada had implemented, before a softer quarantine where they can move freely about the hotel and in groups between training venues and the race site and the hotel, they needed to be there by then so that they would be done the strict quarantine by this afternoon, so that they could pick up their kits following the virtual briefing, which is normally two nights before the race for all World tri events). If she got her invitation letter, it would really be between her, Brit Tri and the governments in terms of getting things processed on time for her to make the travel. It sucks that she will miss Montreal, but I assume she'll fly over this weekend to start her strict quarantine in Edmonton assuming she got her Visa sorted to race the Grand Final...

Most Canadians widely know that Air Canada blows, especially if you're traveling with a bike. I've been lucky in that I've managed to dodge flying Air Canada with my bike mostly and used other airlines (I did fly Air Canada to Penticton for Multisport Worlds, but I shipped my bike out by ground, so they couldn't screw that up), and had no issues with missing luggage (the only time I've lost luggage was flying in the US with Jet Blue, and they were good and couriered my bags to me in Canada a day later when they arrived...). In general when flying for races, I try to book the least number of transfers possible (to reduce the number of times luggage moves between planes to reduce the odds of one of them being screwed up) and I tend to book with longer layovers to reduce likelihood of missed connections (even if it means longer travel days and hours hanging out in airports) to try to avoid that, since that would be my nightmare for my bike not to arrive on time for the race (I saw that Erika Ackerlund was one who's bike was stuck in the southhern US, and was trying to get a rental arranged for the race; and Sophie Coldwell had some issues, but I think her bike at least made it)....

She was one of the first on the list as she wasn’t at the Olympics. She had her visa and got refused boarding. I believe that was Friday which would have been 2 days earlier than minimum requirement. She was reaching out all weekend and if it had been sorted she still could have flown out Sunday. To say it is the athletes fault isn’t just or accurate.

I know of at least 5 athletes that had problems with Air Canada.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I wasn't saying it was the athletes fault, I was just noting that I don't know that Tri Can was at fault either. Sounds more like Air Canada seems to be the problem in denying boarding to people with valid visas (and unfortunately Tri Can has no pull with Air Canada), which wouldn't surprise me in the least. The other challenge is that with very limited entry for non-canadians to canada at this point, if you get denied boarding on your first flight, there are limited options to be able to get another flight in (because there are decreased numbers of flights, and those that are flying are generally pretty full), and with that narrow arrival window, the next available flight would have likely missed the deadline to enter the bubble (which was not a Tri Can mandated requirement, and was instead the strict condition under which the Government of Canada would allow the race to go ahead with foreign athletes). It's super shitty, because it would have been great to have her in the field for that event (and as seen in the Arena Games, she could do well in that format), but it looks like Air Canada got in the way of that (and as previously mentioned, they generally treat Canadians just as shittly as they do others, so they could have just as easy denied boarding to a Canadian Athlete... and to be fair, we're not hearing their side, and there might have been a legitimate reason to deny her boarding, but based on years of air canada experiences, a non-justified denial is not out of character for them....)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't saying it was the athletes fault, I was just noting that I don't know that Tri Can was at fault either. Sounds more like Air Canada seems to be the problem in denying boarding to people with valid visas (and unfortunately Tri Can has no pull with Air Canada), which wouldn't surprise me in the least. The other challenge is that with very limited entry for non-canadians to canada at this point, if you get denied boarding on your first flight, there are limited options to be able to get another flight in (because there are decreased numbers of flights, and those that are flying are generally pretty full), and with that narrow arrival window, the next available flight would have likely missed the deadline to enter the bubble (which was not a Tri Can mandated requirement, and was instead the strict condition under which the Government of Canada would allow the race to go ahead with foreign athletes). It's super shitty, because it would have been great to have her in the field for that event (and as seen in the Arena Games, she could do well in that format), but it looks like Air Canada got in the way of that (and as previously mentioned, they generally treat Canadians just as shittly as they do others, so they could have just as easy denied boarding to a Canadian Athlete... and to be fair, we're not hearing their side, and there might have been a legitimate reason to deny her boarding, but based on years of air canada experiences, a non-justified denial is not out of character for them....)

If you have a valid visa and have completed all the pre-travel requirements (ArriveCan), what would be justified or non-justified denials?
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
Trauma wrote:

If you have a valid visa and have completed all the pre-travel requirements (ArriveCan), what would be justified or non-justified denials?

you know what? it is for teh good of Potter. Hope ITU changes its mind and forgets this stupid format. The less athletes racing the better

Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to sort out the discussion around Beth Potter. There was a problem with her visa which meant that when she was boarding the flight in London it was flagging up and I don't think that the airline staff had any option other than denying her boarding. It isn't known exactly why this was but the issue was trying to get it sorted over the weekend. It seems like nothing could be done on-line and it required someone to actively intervene. It was sorted fairly quickly on Monday but that was then too late for her to fly to Montreal and join the "bubble". She is flying out to Edmonton on Saturday so hopefully no glitches this time.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ashtanga_yogi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on her socials from Quarantine in Edmonton, it looks like she made it and will be racing.

Grand Finals predictions? The Edmonton Course has Duffy/Knibb written all over it. And in the men's race, it looks like a Blu type of course....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
W
1.Duffy 2.Zaferes 3.Knibb
M
1.KB 2.Wilde 3.Serrat

W u23
Mathias

M u23
Lehmann

Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
W
1.Duffy 2.Zaferes 3.Knibb
M
1.KB 2.Wilde 3.Serrat

W u23
Mathias

M u23
Lehmann

Solid predictions, for the race I would go:

1) Duffy
2) Knibb
3) Coldwell

M
1) Blummenfelt
2) Luis
3) Wilde (although Serrat is running well, he was a beast on the run in Montreal, and will be in the mix if the pack gets to T2 in touch)

WU23: Alberte Kjaer Pederson (pretty stacked field with Mathias, Thorpe, Hedgeland and Tersch)
MU23: Hidalgo (although it's a pretty stacked field, with Diego Moya, Chase McQueen who was going well in Montreal, Matt Hauser (although he looked flat in Montreal in a format that should have suited him, which is the only reason he isn't my prediction to win), Lehmann, Morgan & McCullough (both kiwis were strong in Montreal, especially in the MTR)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replying to no one in particular…
I just listened to Greg and Laura Bennett interview Flora Duffy. Real nice interview. She gave lots of good insight into the Tokyo race. I loved how calculated and confident she was in that race. A couple of tidbits I found particularly fun:
1: She says in so many words that she knew if she started the run fast her competitors would fold. Who did she have in mind specifically? KZ, GTB? Juicy!
2: They briefly talked about Rio. It sounds like she was kinda just happy to be there (at the front) and was not really in with that much confidence to try this really get away on the bike. I recall a couple half hearted efforts to get away early that we’re basically covered by the Brits and then she seemed content to just roll with the group. (While Sparig sat on the front and wasted energy) Contrast to Cozumel a few weeks later when she was willing to lay it all on the line. Does she ever think she didn’t try hard enough to get away that race?

Anyway check it out if you haven’t listened.
https://podcasts.apple.com/...3135?i=1000532128789
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Among all the discussions here about World Triathlon trying the new Eliminator format and copying SuperLeague, did anybody see SLT's latest 'invention' (not really an invention, more like a new twist): Teams.

I wonder if they're thinking about reviving a format like the France Iron Tour in the next couple of years?
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I know, the IronTour was about racing several days in a row, but no teams involved. Maybe I am wrong...
I dont really think that format suits well in triathlon. It works in cycling, but all that running 4-5 days in a row? I think most of the girls/guys would sit in the bike leg and try to go hard in the run....but the risk of injury is too high IMO.

Regards

Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
As far as I know, the IronTour was about racing several days in a row, but no teams involved. Maybe I am wrong...
I dont really think that format suits well in triathlon. It works in cycling, but all that running 4-5 days in a row? I think most of the girls/guys would sit in the bike leg and try to go hard in the run....but the risk of injury is too high IMO.

Regards

It was with teams. They even had TTTs!
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw the teams announcement as a ridiculous ode to Major League Triathlon. My guess is that Macca ran out of new formats, and for fear of being static, the only idea that came to mind was teams. It could introduce a layer of different tactics to the race, but their whole model is really dependent on having lots of prize money and offering lots of exposure for the athletes, so I question how much they will be willing to sacrifice results for the team, when ultimately they are looking for a payday and exposure...

I'll suspend judgement until I see it in action, but I rolled my eyes at the announcement, and some of the team names/logos.

Back to Edmonton, there has never been an athlete to win both the world and olympic title in the same year, and we might see it happen twice this weekend. Flora is in the series driver's seat, and Blummenfelt is only 39 pts behind Yee. With the edmoton course well suited to both of their skillsets, I find it hard to bet against them for the series titles...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:

Back to Edmonton, there has never been an athlete to win both the world and olympic title in the same year, and we might see it happen twice this weekend. Flora is in the series driver's seat, and Blummenfelt is only 39 pts behind Yee. With the edmoton course well suited to both of their skillsets, I find it hard to bet against them for the series titles...

Yes going for those two does look like the safest bet. The weather forecast is for partly cloudy skies with temperatures in the mid 60s*F. The winds don't look bad either. All in all it should a nice day to race.

Under 23 women - Start at 10:00 eastern time - 8:00 local time
Elite women- Start at 12:50 eastern time- 10:50 local time
Elite men - Start at 3:50 eastern time- 13:50 local time

Without Jesse Learmonth there to string out the swim, I suspect a large group of women to exit the water near each other. After watching the Montreal super sprints, the only question in my mind is who will be able to follow Taylor Knibb up the climb if/when she decides to go. Probably Flora can/will but I'm not certain anyone else will be able to. A great deal of time could be put on the rest of the field by Taylor and Flora if they worked together.

The men's race ought to be uber exciting too. At the Olympics Blu seemed be happy to let Yee do a good deal of work reeling back in the front pack. It will be interesting to see if he plays that same game today.

What ever the case, it will be an excellent set of races to watch.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Aug 21, 21 6:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll suspend judgement until I see it in action, but I rolled my eyes at the announcement, and some of the team names/logos. //

It looks to me that they are going to follow in the steps of swimming here. And of course all of Europe uses this model too, different cities sponsor their pro teams. Eventually if it sticks, you could have a combo of private and public ownership of the teams, I raced on such a team in Germany many moons ago, and it is just their system. Here in the US we are conditioned to think that sports teams need to be owned by individuals, but in most the world that is not the case..

I wish them luck, but as you said, they will need a bunch of seed money to get it going, and keep it going until it can be self sustaining. Swimming is still funded by billionaires, and it is yet to be determined if that series will be self functioning one day...
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any ideas why ITU schedules the Women's Elite race ahead of the Men's U23?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Any ideas why ITU schedules the Women's Elite race ahead of the Men's U23?

No informed idea but my intuition is that they wanted to place the elite races in the most "prime" part of the day. Running both under 23 races in the morning would have pushed the men's elite race later than they really wanted. Just a guess on my part.

Not long now until the women's elite begins.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Knibb leads the swim and is absolutely wrecking the shop on the bike! Flora is towing the chasers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Knibb is absolutely flying again
Quote Reply

Prev Next