Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holland has pulled out of Leeds injured, not having a good year of it with injuries the Oly selected Brit women.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Holland has pulled out of Leeds injured, not having a good year of it with injuries the Oly selected Brit women.

Really?, are the others also been injured? GTB just says sick.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And now Holland has pulled out as well.

There have been rumours that all 3 were injured over the winter so this is the worst case scenario for British Tri
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
Aus Might be in a similar spot if they only qualify 2 spots. Actually even if they qualify 3 I would be surprised if all 6 athletes with the points would be those selected.
There 3500 points up for grabs internationally at the start of this season compared to 400 for those staying home. Some took the gamble to travel and try to earn some of those points, others didn't. Will be interesting to see who makes our team

If two spots only, I would be surprised if the second man selected next to Jake is not Matt Hauser. If three, then it's between Luke Willian and Aaron Royle. Aaron more as a domestique for Jake (they train in the same squad), Luke as a third option to do relatively well but not necessarily planning on a domestique.

Australian women: pfew, I don't know. Anybody best fit to help Ashleigh get as close as possible to the front of the race before T2, whether that's one or two domestiques (2 or 3 spots available).

Makes Aaron a bit like Bishop, but not likely paid any extra to travel and race. Hauser is our AB.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please forgive me but this is so fun :)
Team GB
I was also wondering about Ali to domestique for Bishop. Then someone mentions that maybe the actual situation is getting the 3rd sport to get Yee in... isnt it crazy? but could be possible. I agree with the ones that say that Ali will go all in if his run is OK. He must show that he is ready. I would not worry about the MTR with both brothers in. Alistair raced over superleague some time ago and did OK

Then we have the 3 women...someone saying Holland is injured. Somebody also told so about GTB but apparently is sick? and Jess Learmonth has been injured for quite a while so driving into Tokyo...well I would be a bit concerned. IMO you must send to the olympics or huge races people who are fully fit unless you are Vicent Luis and you can race under a shot or painkillers.... so, I rather choose Sophie Coldwell instead of any of the three that might not be full recovered for the D day, or Potter if she unfolds a good race this w-end, or Stanford...or even LCB if she cracks it. Weird year as many people have got injured after the break and pushing the throttle in the previous weeks to big racing. So, the best nation struggling with the 3 ladies right now.....

AUSTRALIA
Hausser has been a bit of a dissapointment IMO after the junior or U23 world champ he got some years ago... If I were aussie I would choose a good guy for the relay and dont know if that is William or Royle or Hauser (but probaby 2 of them will go as I think australia can achieve the 3rd spot). I would go with Royle as a domestique for Birtwhistle if they get 3 spots and then probably William for the MTR.
For the women, definitely someone that can help Gentle and also can do well in the MTR....but I dont think Van Coevorden will wait for Ashley. Natalie can do a top 10 but, is that what aus federation wants, or do they prefer someone as a domestique for the no.1 girl? If Gentle can be in the Spirig´s train, so a decent swim, then Natalie should not worry... the other options are Jeffcoat or Jackson...so no many options

NZ
I keep on saying that is shameful that Reid is going instead of Ward unless the guy is injured...

USA
Who would you take, Zaferes or Spivey? If Zaferes does not crack it in Leeds and Spivey makes a top 5-7 and Katie is far behind...would you take KZ?
By the way, I saw the interview of Knibb with Bob Babbitt. That girl is so nice...I loved the video and the mentallity of Taylor...really cool....

Watched the superleague podcast with Macca and Tim Don, and Macca pointed out about the swiss team...he was completely right that not just Spirig is doing great ,but Brifford, Studer, Salvisverg, Derron, Annen. I think they can surprise in the MTR.... Brifford, Studer, Spirig, Annen!!!!

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Last edited by: juanillo: Jun 4, 21 2:35
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
No way will AB domestique in front of his home crowd if he is run fit (which is still the big outstanding question)

This is my thinking also. It might make more sense for the team and even for AB himself, with Tokyo in mind, to work for Tom Bishop. But I'm struggling to imagine an Alistair Brownlee that doesn't try and win in Leeds or at least put on a show.

And I'm going to call LCB for top 10. It might just be the romantic in me, but like others I can picture a breakaway group of strong swimmers/riders, with Coldwell, Zaferes, Learmonth, Duffy. The women are notoriously crap at working together in a chase group and 5 strong bikers in a breakaway taking turns could be unassailable. I know we all have our qualms about LCB managing the bike handling and surges in an ITU pack, but I've watched her on Zwift and super league often enough to know that she isn't just a low revving diesel engine, and I can see her run being good enough to hold a ~90 seconds advantage into T2 if that comes to pass. I don't doubt after seeing her in super league that she can run well off high-intensity bike efforts.

If I had one worry about her chances, it is the skill of riding in a pack and holding the draft out of corners. Hoping she doesn't get stranded in no woman's land or burn too many matches chasing on repeatedly. I mean, she spends half of her waking life on a bike so I don't doubt that she can ride the thing perfectly well, but she seems to do a lot of her training solo, indoors or with Reece. I don't know if she does any local chain gang, if I was her coach that's what I'd have been suggesting to prep for ITU. But I do think she has the physical tool kit for this.

Going to be great fun.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
Please forgive me but this is so fun :)
Team GB
I would not worry about the MTR with both brothers in. Alistair raced over superleague some time ago and did OK

Pretty sure he didn't do ok. I remember seeing him get lapped out in a superleague race. Both brothers couldn't make a winning team in the Commonwealth Games 2018. Yee might be my pick for the relay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I was wrong. I think he raced in Hamilton in 2017 when he was just doing MD...anyhow, a fit AB no matter it is sprint, supersprint or olympic distance, he can do well, and in case there are just 2 spots for GB, with both brothers OK, I have no doubt. I dont sacrifice the chances in the individual event for the MTR, even considering Yee can make a small difference compared to a AB in shape.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:
And now Holland has pulled out as well.

There have been rumours that all 3 were injured over the winter so this is the worst case scenario for British Tri

LCB might be the only one left, at this rate. Certainly picked the best timing to have a go!
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
monty wrote:
Clearly Biship loves representing his country, but racing yourself into the ground so someone else can go is kinda whack. Especially if it's Alistair Brownlee.//

Not sure why you choose to have such a negative take on this, it really is the opportunity of a lifetime for him. On his own he is going to do nothing special this olympic go around, was never going to be the guy getting the 3rd spot, ever. But look at what he does get to do. He gets the greatest ITU athlete of all time as his personal domestic, and now will have an entire team just working for him. That scenario doesn't happen in a million years, except under these rare and special circumstances.

He no doubt is getting paid well to attempt this too, and is earning a huge favor from future federation considerations. He is doing this because it is a once in a lifetime chance to race like this, and he is also a pro who makes a living at triathlon. If I were in his shoes, I would be over the moon at my good fortune to be the one and only chance for a 3rd olympic spot for my country. I would understand it is not my spot to use, but one that could end up getting my country a medal. By using the ultimate domestic's in his races, he is becoming the ultimate domestic for his country, and making some bank while having all this fun...

Wasn't really my point overall. My point was more about the fact that the US men have earned their third spot and the posters above said the US didn't deserve it. Which is of course BS because they earned it.

When it comes to fairness, if Bishop literally races himself into the ground and earns that spot for GB himself, he should be the one going. Not someone who has barely raced on the circuit.

I would like to see the checks GB is cutting for him to race himself into the ground so someone else can go. However, what he's doing is commendable.

Except the US hasn't earned the 3rd spot yet, and nobody is saying to give it to GB because it will be more interesting. The US currently holds the ranking to get a 3rd spot (but the qualification period isn't over yet), what we're saying is that as fans of the sport, we're hoping that GB earns that away from them, because it might be more entertaining in terms of the podium in Tokyo. That said, if Hemming holds on, good on him, and they will have earned that spot, and we'll see AB or AYee, and not both (and same if Willian scoops that up for AUS)...
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/triathlon/57356745

Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And V Luis has pulled out....

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:

Does anyone know why? Hope it isn’t an option injury. Would be catastrophic this close to the Games.

Morten Falk Størling
Blog l Instagram l Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
I went through the standings, here is what it comes down to:

Hemming is 28th but it seems likely that Silva (29th) will pas shim. Royle (30th) will pass him with a good result (top 15) at Leeds. Lets just give that to Royle and then look at the rest.

31: Grajales: mathematically not possible. Even if Grajales wins his last race hemming noses him by a point.
32: Schilling is retired
33: Willian: not points races left
34: Fabian: would take a shocking result (podium) from someone who raced this weekend to a very middle of the mark result
35: Bishop - SEE BELOW
36 and on: no one with a chance

presuming Hemming gets passed by 29 and 30 only Bishop can knock out Hemming:

Leeds is a 1000 point race. A top 8 finish and Bishiop passes Hemming. A top 5 finish and Hemming will need to podium in Huatalco to retain his spot.

There certainly are 7+ athletes who are better than Bishop racing in Leeds. But Bishop has 2 big things going for him: He isn't going to have a domestique. He is going to have a personal peloton. GB is the host nation in Leeds there are 7 GB athletes on the start line. I mean shoot, you could have AB pulling Bishop to the first pack and JB and Yee working to slow the main pack down. I am telling you if Yee is running with Blu and Gomez for the win he will pull up lame. And then on the other side you have Belgium, France and the US. They DO NOT want GB to get 3 guys (US for obvious reason, the other two because of the relay implications). I don't know how deep the team tactics will go, but having 7 athletes on the home course fighting for one guy and a half dozen others working against a single guy... Wow!

The cool scenario is a 9th or 10th place finish for Bishop and the Huatalco race becomes a heads up match between Hemming and Bishop for the final spot. I suppose that is what I am rooting for.

The tricky part for Bishop is motivation... The federation is putting in a push, and he's racing himself into the ground for a slot that he has no chance of actually occupying on the OG start line. I assume there's some financial incentives in play for him to move into the top 30, but that's an odd place to be as an athlete. I too am hoping that Bishop gets a decent result in Leeds, so that we have a head to head showdown in Mexico between him in Hemming... That said, no offense intended to our american friends, I'm rooting for GB to get that 3rd slot, because having AB and Yee on the startline is more exciting than Eli Hemming, or whomever USAT names as the 3rd slot (Assuming that with McElroy gets the 2nd slot).

I am personally rooting for a Joe Umphenour comeback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:

Except the US hasn't earned the 3rd spot yet, and nobody is saying to give it to GB because it will be more interesting. The US currently holds the ranking to get a 3rd spot (but the qualification period isn't over yet), what we're saying is that as fans of the sport, we're hoping that GB earns that away from them, because it might be more entertaining in terms of the podium in Tokyo. That said, if Hemming holds on, good on him, and they will have earned that spot, and we'll see AB or AYee, and not both (and same if Willian scoops that up for AUS)...

Generally when it comes to sport where draw lines by country, I will wholly be partisan for my country.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jun 4, 21 19:50
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:

He is qualified and I wouldn't be shocked it he wants to put all of his attention into his partner, Taylor Spivey, while gaining a possible rest advantage and not taking the risk of injury. He is going into the Tokyo bubble and she wont be invited if she doesn't make the US team. If Taylor wins Leeds, it is going to be hard for USAT to not take her over KZ.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Jun 4, 21 11:29
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or maybe Louis is taking this time to head home to France for vaccination ready for Tokyo. Unless he has already done that, not something would want to be leaving to the last minute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Or maybe Louis is taking this time to head home to France for vaccination ready for Tokyo. Unless he has already done that, not something would want to be leaving to the last minute.

He will be missing the Olympics if he does that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:

Why? Which vaccinations are available in France? In Aus the Olympians are being vaccinated with Pfizer because only need 3 weeks between. We heard here Pfizer makers were donating doses to the IOC to be given to athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
SheTries wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:

Why? Which vaccinations are available in France? In Aus the Olympians are being vaccinated with Pfizer because only need 3 weeks between. We heard here Pfizer makers were donating doses to the IOC to be given to athletes.

If you read the press all adults are now eligible but there is a massive shortage of vaccines. In our dept they haven’t even finished over 50’s.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
r0bh wrote:
No way will AB domestique in front of his home crowd if he is run fit (which is still the big outstanding question)

This is my thinking also. It might make more sense for the team and even for AB himself, with Tokyo in mind, to work for Tom Bishop. But I'm struggling to imagine an Alistair Brownlee that doesn't try and win in Leeds or at least put on a show.

And I'm going to call LCB for top 10. It might just be the romantic in me, but like others I can picture a breakaway group of strong swimmers/riders, with Coldwell, Zaferes, Learmonth, Duffy. The women are notoriously crap at working together in a chase group and 5 strong bikers in a breakaway taking turns could be unassailable. I know we all have our qualms about LCB managing the bike handling and surges in an ITU pack, but I've watched her on Zwift and super league often enough to know that she isn't just a low revving diesel engine, and I can see her run being good enough to hold a ~90 seconds advantage into T2 if that comes to pass. I don't doubt after seeing her in super league that she can run well off high-intensity bike efforts.

If I had one worry about her chances, it is the skill of riding in a pack and holding the draft out of corners. Hoping she doesn't get stranded in no woman's land or burn too many matches chasing on repeatedly. I mean, she spends half of her waking life on a bike so I don't doubt that she can ride the thing perfectly well, but she seems to do a lot of her training solo, indoors or with Reece. I don't know if she does any local chain gang, if I was her coach that's what I'd have been suggesting to prep for ITU. But I do think she has the physical tool kit for this.

Going to be great fun.

Cheers, Rich.

LCB stands a much better chance of getting a good result now Spirig isn't racing, she needs Duffy to have a good swim though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
r0bh wrote:

Going to be great fun.

Cheers, Rich.

LCB stands a much better chance of getting a good result now Spirig isn't racing, she needs Duffy to have a good swim though.

Learmonth is still racing isn't she? She is also no slouch on the swim and bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes made this point a few pages back, I'd expect LCB, Learmonth and Coldwell to come out the swim together with a decent lead, then a 2nd pack containing Duffy and a few others chasing.
Last edited by: Jackets: Jun 5, 21 11:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any way to watch this live for free in the USA?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think Duffy will come out behind, I think she will exit swim with Coldwell and Learmouth. I can see LCB breaking away with one of the mega swimmers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next