Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [5430tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for popping in Lucy, you made it an incredible race on Sunday and sorry for ever doubting you at this distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I made a chart. I am just giving WIllian the 400 points. Here is the adjusted 27th - 29th:

27 SILVA 3872.9
28 PERIERA 3839.6
29 WILLIAN 3830.7

I made to show where each athlete ends up at any point in the top 10. To guarantee top 30 spot:

Hemming needs 8th
Royle Needs 5th
Grajales Needs 1st plus Royle lower than 5th OR Hemming lower than 8th
Bishop Needs 1st plus Royle lower than 5th OR Hemming lower than 8th

Because top 30 only matter to countries trying to earn 3 spots, Grajales isn't racing for top 30 the way the others are. Though perhaps Mexico is using this race for athlete selection?

I think Bishop is now racing for his own spot. I like that. And while he needs a little help (in regards to where EH and AR finish), but there is enough fire power in this race for Bishop to assume that a win gets him into the Olympics. I dont see that happening, but at least he controls his own destiny.

One last tidbit: Varga's DQ more than likely cost him a spot in the Olympics. He will need to podium this week to get the needed points. Considering where he was off the bike yesterday, a normal run would have given him enough points to at least put him in the drivers seat for a selection. This was a little confusing on the broadcast but I think Varga went left of the last buoy on the first lap. On the second lap he did it again but actually swam back to it.

Here is the Huatolco chart is where the athlete ends up:

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th Hemming 4020 3990 3962 3937 3913 3891 3871 3852 3834 3818 Royle 3960 3930 3903 3877 3853 3831 3811 3792 3775 3771 Grajales 3849 3819 3791 3765 3742 3720 3699 3680 3663 3647 Bishop 3838 3808 3780 3755 3731 3709 3689 3670 3652 3636

Spot on numbers. I was talking mince earlier about eligible scores and phases. Headline figures are sound.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Lucy Charles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lucy Charles wrote:
Hey all,

Just thought I would drop in here and say thanks for the kind words.

Really enjoyed racing Leeds. Definitely lots to learn and plenty to work on, especially transition practice and becoming more confident on corners in a group. I felt like I got better as each lap went by, but I was learning on the job.

For context, on some of the hairpins I was pushing 700w to get back onto the back of the group. I was abit concerned how my running legs would feel after such high intensity surging, but surprisingly felt great. Maybe the zwift style events + the 1500m freestyle training has prepared me for this style of racing.

Doesn’t look like I’ll get on anymore World Series or short course races before kona, I’m ranked too low to be automatically guaranteed a start + races are few and far between.

That’s fine though, after the 1500m freestyle Olympic trials I switched by focus back to kona as it became clear I wouldn’t get many (any starts this year, Leeds was a surprise).

I’ve been in Lanzarote the last 6 weeks with training focus of laying down a base phase in preparation for long distance training. Long course remains my plan for the rest of the season. Leeds was abit of roll the dice and see what happens!

Looking ahead, definitely keen to race some more short course events throughout 2022 and gain experience.

Upcoming races;

PTO ATW Eton
70.3 European Championships Elsinore
PTO outlaw half Holkham
Collins cup (if I’m still ranked top 4 and/or select)
Kona

Lucy

Hi Lucy. Well done on Sunday. You certainly answered every question that was asked.

Now let's talk turkey and get down to business. Have you looked at future success at short course as a potential way to grow your brand outside of the Tri community.

I'm in the UK too and it is always striking how little mainstream media attention Long Course gets here vs the ITU/Olympic scene. I think there will be a huge gap post Tokyo once AB and JB leave the scene. Alex may fill that to an extent but personally I think in the UK at least you would have the potential to really become a sports star outside of the triathlon bubble. Obviously this is all success dependant but certainly looks possible after Sunday 👍🏾
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom Bishop is not racing Huatulco so GB out of the running for three spots now.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
Tom Bishop is not racing Huatulco so GB out of the running for three spots now.

oh dear - why's he out? is this because they think ali won't be any good for tokyo, so they're giving up the chase?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From @Timheming on twitter

"British Triathlon's quest for a third men's spot on the Olympic team now over. Tom Bishop removed from the start-list for Mexico. Would have required a podium result to gain the required points, but decision taken to prioritise his health instead."

"Decision for Tom not to race is Huatulco, which would have been 30+ hrs travel to arrive short notice for one of hottest races on calendar, looks to have effectively ended the chances of Alistair Brownlee making a fourth and final Olympic appearance in Tokyo."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I hope it was his decision to withdraw himself.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This makes the race slightly less intriguing but ultimately what it comes down to is the ball is in Hemming court to ensure that the USA gets 3 spots and the Aussies do not. So I'll still be very interested in what goes down...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect that With Ali basically publicly announcing that his olympic bid was done after his performance sunday, I think the pressure from Brit Tri was off for him to push (although he could have still made the dig to get his own slot, but I suspect that he probably needed a recovery week, given how deep he's had to dig the last month and the amount of travel to try and scoop up points).

What this means now is that it's a dogfight between Aus and the US for the 3rd slot. Royle is on the start list for Huatulco, and he needs to move up at least one spot, if Willian is to try and jump into the top 30 without bumping him out. Will still be an exciting race this weekend.

In terms of Gomez, I think it's a realistic question as to whether he gets selected, allegedly the federation has pre-selected Mola and Alarza for 2 of the 3 slots (although I haven't found any public announcements of such) which means they have on spot left. If I went over performances over the last few years, they would be better off selecting Serrat Seone, than Gomez, because he's more on form, and especially if they are thinking MTR, Serrat might make more sense (not push too hard in the individual race, or even domestique for Mola to try and pull him up on the bike, and then drop out on the run, and save legs for the relay).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done in the race, really impressive. It might be easier than you think to get a start at some of the later season WTCS races if you wanted to, since often once the Olympic Games are done, there's often a lull for many folks looking for starts (people burnt out from the olympic push, especially with it knocked out a year). You could probably get a start for Montreal, not sure about the Edmonton finals, if you wanted some short course hit outs before the final Kona prep.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spain has no shot at medaling in the MTR so it's all about the individual race. I think Gomez would make a better domestique for Mola but do you really think he would stoop to that? There will be a bunch of other domestiques in the chase back with marching orders to sit at the front and hammer to try and deliver their alphas to the lead group so adding one more doesn't really add anything. I think Spain's best option is to pick Gomez and assume that he will swim fast enough to get in the lead group on the bike, not do a lot of work in that group, and then be able to run fast enough to get on the podium (I don't think he has the top end run anymore to outrun everyone else because at least one other guy is going to be totally on that day).
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gomez still had one of the top 5 runs when he came back a few years ago and that was after being away for a year at LC, I think he's a much better medal hope than Alarza.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am spanish (dont know if any of you are) and the 3rd spot is for Gomez 100%. He´s been training in Mexico to adapt to heat and came over to Europe one month ago to race in Leeds. I think he is planning to go back to Mexico before travelling to Tokyo. There are comments about him in the spanish media and it seems he is quite fit, seems the hard sessions are paying off, so, nobody in Team Spain will domestique. The best scenario for Javier is to be in the breakaway after T1 with the frenchmen, schoeman, etc , trying to avoid the fastest runners, including Mola. With the heat, he might have a chance and remind you it is olympic distance and Gomez is much better at it compared to the sprint distance.
Serrat is the 4th guy..must improve his swim a bit but he is doing really well. He was training with Gomez in Lanzarote in january and february, but his training group is now based in USA (Ien O´Brien´s one). Then Sanchez is another raising star, sub23 world champ in 2019 and a very good biker-runner (Alarza´s training partner).
Someone said Spain has no chances in the MTR...well, it is partly true because our women are not as strong as the men. The relay will be Godoy-Alarza-Casillas-Mola, 100%.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight juanillo - this is by far my favorite thread because of insights like that. Sounds like a changing of the guard for Paris 2024 for Spain.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for hopping on here - very impressive debut, and I am very keen to see what you do in short course after Kona 2021.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plus the Spanish Federation and Consejo Nacional de Deportes, owe Gomez several years of his life and his professional career which they stole from him. They retired his license when he was starting due to a heart condition called bicuspid heart valve. He had to hire a world class doctor and fight for six years (as in 6) with the federation to regain his right to compete. From 1999 to 2006 he missed three full years due to this. He was able to compete intermittently, albeit most of the times with a non Spanish license. He missed the Athens Olympics for this reason, and they are not going to stop him from competing at Tokyo. Despite him not being in his best form, I still think he is the best medal chance for Spain. He would not be jeopardizing his LC career if he did not believe he has a serious chance of a medal in Tokyo.

Just imagine what his resume would look like had he not been dependent on the Spanish federation...
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Would have never guessed that Duffy is a stronger cyclist than Charles. Kind of ironic, that it if wasn't a draft legal bike, the long course athlete would have been dropped by the short course cyclist. On the other hand, if it wasn't for swim draft maybe the long course swimmer would have opened a gap to the short course swimmers.

I've never understood the Slowtwitch fascination with this... it is totally predictable that an Elite athlete racing in the elite level race format would be stronger than LCB. That said, LCB is not far off and did great all things considered.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Where the heck is Zafares in this race? Spivey really en forme by comparison right now.

If you told me a year ago that KZ might not be on the Olympic team I would have shat my pants...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LCB, thanks for dropping in. Always love to hear from the pros after a race. I know it might be a time drain, but would love to have an AMA thread on your race.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Where the heck is Zafares in this race? Spivey really en forme by comparison right now.

If you told me a year ago that KZ might not be on the Olympic team I would have shat my pants...

Her Instagram mentions the recent death of a parent so I could see that could impact her training and performance. Travelling to multiple races at that time would be rough.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IanH wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Her Instagram mentions the recent death of a parent so I could see that could impact her training and performance. Travelling to multiple races at that time would be rough.

THIS ^^^
And yes, travelling internationally at the moment is such a stresser with all the extra approvals, visas and tests required without the need to fly back to USA for her dads funeral at short notice. Sounds like his death was a complete surprise, no illness etc so yeah.. all that would really throw a girl. She appears to be very close to her family so this would be a very hard time for her.
Katie always talks of consistency in training being key and sadly the last couple of months she hasn't been able to have that. I would expect that with a good 6 week block of training back with her coach and squad she will be likely back to old Katie form.
Last edited by: chrisb12: Jun 9, 21 0:27
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Engner66 wrote:
Would have never guessed that Duffy is a stronger cyclist than Charles. Kind of ironic, that it if wasn't a draft legal bike, the long course athlete would have been dropped by the short course cyclist. On the other hand, if it wasn't for swim draft maybe the long course swimmer would have opened a gap to the short course swimmers.

I've never understood the Slowtwitch fascination with this... it is totally predictable that an Elite athlete racing in the elite level race format would be stronger than LCB. That said, LCB is not far off and did great all things considered.

E

i would change that into its totally predictable that one of the strongest long distacne cyclists, would be beaten on the bike by some of the strongest itu cycliists that train specifically for the demands on the bike for itu racing. which includes a fast transition and a fast bike mount . and anybody who saw challenge miami had a good idea that that was not an itu specific transiton and bike mount by lucy.
there is no doubt that lucy with 6 /12 month ITU training would be considered one of the best itu cyclists.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone has notice of the USAT picks? I am really looking forward for knowing the 3rd name in the women´s. Also, NZ, Australia, GB (in case Holland does not heal) and Switzerland..if anyone knows, please post it
Thank u

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Last edited by: juanillo: Jun 10, 21 2:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think US is 15 June and I also think GB met Tuesday and made the Olympic team aware. Once that gets approved it will be made public. Normally takes about 4/5 days.

Sophie Coldwell has already been named as reserve.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:
I think US is 15 June and I also think GB met Tuesday and made the Olympic team aware. Once that gets approved it will be made public. Normally takes about 4/5 days.

Sophie Coldwell has already been named as reserve.

men? Bishop or Benson I guess. I would pick Benson. good performances in the mtr

so
USA
Knibb, Rappaport, Spivey or Zaferes
Pearson, Mc Elroy (hemming if he gets the 3rd spot, what about mc dowell)

GB
Gtb,Learmonth, Holland
JB, Yee

Switzerland
Spirig, Annen
Studer, Brifford or A.Salvisverg

NZ
Van der Kaay, Thorpe
Wilde, Reid (Ward has appealed)

AUS
Gentle, Van Coevorden
Birtwhistle, Royle or William