Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be surprised if USAT announces before the 16th, since that is when the National Federation slot allocations become official, after the close of the qualification period.

I hadn't seen that Sophie Coldwell was announced as the reserve, but she's the obvious pick for GB as back-up, not only because she could help Learmonth and/or GTB establish a swim breakaway, but she's also arguably GB's best MTR/Super Sprint racer.

I think your 3rd ladies spot for USAT is between Spivey & KZ (Kasper is a dark horse, although honestly if recency bias comes into play, my picks would be Spivey, KK as first alternate and KZ as second alternate, but looking at podium potential, I might go KZ, TK & KK in that order). For the guys it's more of a crap shoot. Pearson is in, and I can't honestly see McElroy not being in, meaning the 3rd slot (if they secure it) is between Hemming, McDowell and Kanute (2-3 years ago, I would have said Kanute, but right now I'd say it's hard not to pick Hemming, and McDowell is likely your 1st alternate).

I suspect late next week, we'll have a much better sense of the starting grid for the OG, once they finalize the slots by country, then the fun will start with many announcements and appeals...
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
I'd be surprised if USAT announces before the 16th, since that is when the National Federation slot allocations become official, after the close of the qualification period.

I hadn't seen that Sophie Coldwell was announced as the reserve, but she's the obvious pick for GB as back-up, not only because she could help Learmonth and/or GTB establish a swim breakaway, but she's also arguably GB's best MTR/Super Sprint racer.

I think your 3rd ladies spot for USAT is between Spivey & KZ (Kasper is a dark horse, although honestly if recency bias comes into play, my picks would be Spivey, KK as first alternate and KZ as second alternate, but looking at podium potential, I might go KZ, TK & KK in that order). For the guys it's more of a crap shoot. Pearson is in, and I can't honestly see McElroy not being in, meaning the 3rd slot (if they secure it) is between Hemming, McDowell and Kanute (2-3 years ago, I would have said Kanute, but right now I'd say it's hard not to pick Hemming, and McDowell is likely your 1st alternate).

I suspect late next week, we'll have a much better sense of the starting grid for the OG, once they finalize the slots by country, then the fun will start with many announcements and appeals...

Given that triathlon is not like track and field that you can get the spot by beating a stablished cut-time, I think the spots should be given to the ones that earn them. E.g. Mo Farah gets his spot, ...he will do his own race whenever he is qualified for. So, triathlon, as an individual sport, should work in the same way. I cannot imagine any brittish in the 10.000m final in the olympics pacing for Farah...but yes, triathlon federations need the funding, that why this thing about the discretional spots is crap IMO. Tom Bishop was kind of pushed to earn the spot for AB.... now that Mr Brownlee is injured and had a terrible race in Leeds, I dont see Bishop in the Huatulco start list, even he could be the 3rd spot for himself f he gets into the podium....
AB was racing MD and LD? well man, you cannot do everything and its not fair for the ones that earn the spot for their home country (e.g. Sam Ward has been replaced by Reid...just unbelievable)

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
Trauma wrote:

Given that triathlon is not like track and field that you can get the spot by beating a stablished cut-time, I think the spots should be given to the ones that earn them. E.g. Mo Farah gets his spot, ...he will do his own race whenever he is qualified for. So, triathlon, as an individual sport, should work in the same way. I cannot imagine any brittish in the 10.000m final in the olympics pacing for Farah...but yes, triathlon federations need the funding, that why this thing about the discretional spots is crap IMO. Tom Bishop was kind of pushed to earn the spot for AB.... now that Mr Brownlee is injured and had a terrible race in Leeds, I dont see Bishop in the Huatulco start list, even he could be the 3rd spot for himself f he gets into the podium....
AB was racing MD and LD? well man, you cannot do everything and its not fair for the ones that earn the spot for their home country (e.g. Sam Ward has been replaced by Reid...just unbelievable)

I don't disagree with your logic, but precedent shows otherwise, and many countries have instead made team picks for domestiques to support a medal contender, rather than someone who might crack the top 30, but earned the slot. This is why they added in that top 140 on Olympic ranking rule, to at least put a minimum bar for anyone being selected. This year that's further exacerbated by the presence of the MTR, because some countries earned their second slot through the MTR rankings, and the athletes who were part of that, may or may not be in your top 2 or 3 on the individual ranking. The US is a good example here, if you look at the MTR series through which USAT guaranteed a second male spot, it was largely Kanute & McDowell along with McElroy who earned that berth for USAT, so I get while a third slot might be earned by Hemming holding on to a top 30 ranking, there's still a valid argument for the others as having helped to earn spots for the country. Outside of the top 140 rule, each NF is left to determine their selection criteria, so it was performance at certain races, some it was combination of results, others it was ranking, and others had discretionary picks, and many were some combination of the above. Especially countries with less shot at the individual titles that had a better medal shot in the MTR, it might make more sense for the country to make their picks with that in mind (the relay arguably has introduced more selection shenanigans than the domestique strategy, which GB has famously botched on numerous occasions, and possibly one of the few times it was successfully executed in the OG was Colin Jenkins being selected to domestique for Simon Whitfield).

Bishop had raced so much to try and move up the rankings, with Ali throwing in the towel, and needing 30 hours of travel for a 5th consecutive race weekend and needing a podium and help to get a 3rd slot for GB, he made the decision for his health to drop out of Huatulco.

You'll get no argument from me on merit based selection, but unfortunately international sport is inherently political... and that will always impact selection. Especially where medals/medal potential drives government and sponsor funding for programs, federations are going to engage in some of these shenanigans in order to chase that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
juanillo wrote:
Trauma wrote:

I don't disagree with your logic, but precedent shows otherwise, and many countries have instead made team picks for domestiques to support a medal contender, rather than someone who might crack the top 30, but earned the slot. This is why they added in that top 140 on Olympic ranking rule, to at least put a minimum bar for anyone being selected. This year that's further exacerbated by the presence of the MTR, because some countries earned their second slot through the MTR rankings, and the athletes who were part of that, may or may not be in your top 2 or 3 on the individual ranking. The US is a good example here, if you look at the MTR series through which USAT guaranteed a second male spot, it was largely Kanute & McDowell along with McElroy who earned that berth for USAT, so I get while a third slot might be earned by Hemming holding on to a top 30 ranking, there's still a valid argument for the others as having helped to earn spots for the country. Outside of the top 140 rule, each NF is left to determine their selection criteria, so it was performance at certain races, some it was combination of results, others it was ranking, and others had discretionary picks, and many were some combination of the above. Especially countries with less shot at the individual titles that had a better medal shot in the MTR, it might make more sense for the country to make their picks with that in mind (the relay arguably has introduced more selection shenanigans than the domestique strategy, which GB has famously botched on numerous occasions, and possibly one of the few times it was successfully executed in the OG was Colin Jenkins being selected to domestique for Simon Whitfield).

Bishop had raced so much to try and move up the rankings, with Ali throwing in the towel, and needing 30 hours of travel for a 5th consecutive race weekend and needing a podium and help to get a 3rd slot for GB, he made the decision for his health to drop out of Huatulco.

You'll get no argument from me on merit based selection, but unfortunately international sport is inherently political... and that will always impact selection. Especially where medals/medal potential drives government and sponsor funding for programs, federations are going to engage in some of these shenanigans in order to chase that.

I know i know. Stuart Hayes raced in London 12 as a domestique for the brothers. Gomez was not picked in 2004 despite being U23 world champion in 2003 and 7th in 2004 worlds because the spanish federation selected a domestique for Ivan Raña...but we are seeing less of this stuff. I sometimes just dont see complete fairness in the sport.
Guy A, good swim bike and run
Guy B, bad swim, normal bike good run. He can have a domestique and guy A and guy B can be side to side at the beginning of the 10k. does guy B, beating guy A in a sprint , deserve it? is he better? what happens in the non draft racing? is it more fair?

Last edited by: juanillo: Jun 10, 21 11:53
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
IanH wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Where the heck is Zafares in this race? Spivey really en forme by comparison right now.

If you told me a year ago that KZ might not be on the Olympic team I would have shat my pants...

Her Instagram mentions the recent death of a parent so I could see that could impact her training and performance. Travelling to multiple races at that time would be rough.

THIS ^^^
And yes, travelling internationally at the moment is such a stresser with all the extra approvals, visas and tests required without the need to fly back to USA for her dads funeral at short notice. Sounds like his death was a complete surprise, no illness etc so yeah.. all that would really throw a girl. She appears to be very close to her family so this would be a very hard time for her.
Katie always talks of consistency in training being key and sadly the last couple of months she hasn't been able to have that. I would expect that with a good 6 week block of training back with her coach and squad she will be likely back to old Katie form.

I hope Katie is able to turn things around quickly. She hasn’t had an individual podium since winning Lausanne in 2019. 5th at Hamburg last year, and that was obviously a crapshoot with fitness and training and such for everyone, but still…I am sure a strong result would boost confidence in a big way. Makes you wonder if she should do Huatalco.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
SheTries wrote:
I think US is 15 June and I also think GB met Tuesday and made the Olympic team aware. Once that gets approved it will be made public. Normally takes about 4/5 days.

Sophie Coldwell has already been named as reserve.

men? Bishop or Benson I guess. I would pick Benson. good performances in the mtr

so
USA
Knibb, Rappaport, Spivey or Zaferes
Pearson, Mc Elroy (hemming if he gets the 3rd spot, what about mc dowell)

GB
Gtb,Learmonth, Holland
JB, Yee

Switzerland
Spirig, Annen
Studer, Brifford or A.Salvisverg

NZ
Van der Kaay, Thorpe
Wilde, Reid (Ward has appealed)

AUS
Gentle, Van Coevorden
Birtwhistle, Royle or William

GER
Lindemann, Tersch
Schomburg, Nieschlag

Any correction is welcome

Unless Aus get 3 spots then I doubt this is what we see, particularly in the mens. There is a much favoured athlete who was never made to go earn his slot, but I bet he will be in the team. I think that gives Royle and Willian incentive to race well this weekend as both would be aware that unless they can get a third spot neither will be on the team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hauser? Are they thinking relay with that one?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% otherwise he would have been racing more for points to secure his spot. From outside looking in he has been protected from all the travel and issues that go with it this whole olympic cycle. Royle has definately been doing the work for him. Not saying Royle chose too, just trying to secure a spot for himself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it will make sense for KZ to race Huatalco at this point, it simply won't prove anything even if she does well there against that field.

There are a lot of recency bias in this thread; remember when Beth Potter won one of the virtual SL races and then went on to break the road 5k record, suddenly she was anointed to dominate hee WTS circuit. For me, I would pick KZ over Spivey or Kasper without a doubt. A couple of underwhelming race results under very trying circumstances should not override a body of work that KZ has shown since 2018.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think any individual podium would mean something…August 2019 is a long time ago.

I would likely pick her as well, unless there is more than we know going on. Recency bias is absolutely real and Katie is a home run threat. Spivey is the safe choice, Katie the bold one.

I’m really curious to see the US MTR order as well…

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WRT to the US MTR, I think the order is kind of decided by the auto qualifiers...

Knibb will go 3rd, and Pearson 4th.

KZ will go 1st (or Spivey if she's picked).

So the question for 2nd will be based on whom the USAT picks. I think they will pick 2 out of McDowell, McElroy, and Hemming. In that case, I would go with McDowell 2nd. The wildcard is if they might pick Kanute, then he will be 2nd. I know a lot of people probably think that's a long shot, but just like picking KZ, it's a bold and going for home-run pick. Kanute has proven to be a reliable 2nd leg in MTR, and he can also shepherd Pearson into T2 in or near the lead in the individual race which he has openly said he's not going for himself. To me, it's something USAT should consider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I’m interested to see the US goes hard for the third spot this weekend. Matt has the run to win a medal if the conditions are right, and I don’t see anyone else with that individual potential (besides Morgan, obvs). I like the idea of Kanute as a domestique for Morgan.

Relay is complicated. Do any teams “hide” their strong runners/ weaker swim-bikers up in 1 and 2? More drafting opportunities early in the race. I know 4 is run for dough, but things are much more spread out at that point.

Any chance you use Summer at 3? Swim is solid, bike is maybe better in a small group than a large one, run seems likely better than Knibb’s over 2k. Or do you hope Knibb breaks away with someone like Learmonth?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Last edited by: MI_Mumps: Jun 10, 21 20:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTR for the US is complicated at this point. A lot of variable, the big one is if they will pick KZ hoping that she will get her form back.

Normally in MTR, I would expect the US be in or near the lead pack after the 2nd leg, and that's where Knibb should be able to use her bike ability to deal with different situations. Other than UK, not many other countries would have a strong 3rd, so she could, for example, breakaway with Learmonth or GTB to create some separation. Summer may have the power but her handling skill and situation awareness on the bike is just too unreliable. I am not willing to take that risk over whatever small advantage Summer may have over Knibb over 2k run.

A potential situation would be USAT picks KZ but by OG, her form doesn't improve, now what? Knibb go 1st and Summer 3rd?

A lot for the USAT to think about and game out. I wouldn't want to be John Farra right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
WRT to the US MTR, I think the order is kind of decided by the auto qualifiers...

So the question for 2nd will be based on whom the USAT picks. I think they will pick 2 out of McDowell, McElroy, and Hemming. In that case, I would go with McDowell 2nd. The wildcard is if they might pick Kanute, then he will be 2nd. I know a lot of people probably think that's a long shot, but just like picking KZ, it's a bold and going for home-run pick. Kanute has proven to be a reliable 2nd leg in MTR, and he can also shepherd Pearson into T2 in or near the lead in the individual race which he has openly said he's not going for himself. To me, it's something USAT should consider.

Kanute as a domestique for Pearson maybe if they have 3 spots but I don't see him as a relay athlete anymore. Doesn't matter what he does on the swim bike he can't keep up with the others on the run. 2019 races showed this, and the other USA guys appear to be even stronger swim bikers now than 2019 and definately have better runs than Kanute. But hey I am Aus so hope they will pick him, give our team a better chance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:

so
USA
Knibb, Rappaport, Spivey or Zaferes
Pearson, Mc Elroy (hemming if he gets the 3rd spot, what about mc dowell)

GB
Gtb,Learmonth, Holland
JB, Yee

Switzerland
Spirig, Annen
Studer, Brifford or A.Salvisverg

NZ
Van der Kaay, Thorpe
Wilde, Reid (Ward has appealed)

AUS
Gentle, Van Coevorden
Birtwhistle, Royle or William

GER
Lindemann, Tersch
Schomburg, Nieschlag

Any correction is welcome

As already mentioned, AUS likely to pick Matt Hauser. Hauser (in 2nd) and Jake (anchor) make for a great MTR men squad. One of Aaron Royle or Luke Willian would be the third (if a 3rd spot is available). I think I would go with Luke there. For the AUS females, the second spot is harder to pick, and will be made with MTR in mind. This will be for the first relay, so a strong swimmer is needed and I would guess the choice would be between Natalie VanCoevorden and Emma Jeffcoat.

SUI: I think Spirig, Annen, Briffod and Studer should be the selection. But politics may get in the way. Both Salvisberg brothers and Julie Derron are in the same training squad as Nicola/Max (Brett Sutton). While Julie had a great race in Azarchena with 2nd place, the field was relatively weak. Annen's 4th in Lisbon is probably better and she's just the overall better triathlete (Julie's swim can put her out of the race, and that could be a problem in the MTR). Adrien Briffod has just plain outraced the Salvisberg brothers. I can see Swiss Triathlon backtracking into choosing Andrea Salvisberg as he was part of the MTR that qualified in Lisbon. But Briffod is also a strong MTR athlete with arguably among the best transitions (especially T2) in the sport, and he has brought his swim to the next level this year (even finishing ahead of Andrea in Yokohama). Andrea's run is subpar, even more for super short MTR kind of stuff.
Last edited by: Diabolo: Jun 10, 21 23:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
dalava wrote:

Kanute as a domestique for Pearson maybe if they have 3 spots but I don't see him as a relay athlete anymore. Doesn't matter what he does on the swim bike he can't keep up with the others on the run. 2019 races showed this, and the other USA guys appear to be even stronger swim bikers now than 2019 and definately have better runs than Kanute. But hey I am Aus so hope they will pick him, give our team a better chance.

I dont think Pearson needs a domestique cause in normal conditions, in case of breakaway, the norwegians will be there, Mola, Yee, Alarza, the australian domestique, Reiid, the swiss guys..
many people will pull. So, your manager has to think about the best balance between another good shot in the individual race and the relay. I would pic McDowell, and in case of a 3rd spot, McElroy, but how to not send the guy who secures that spot, though Mc Elroy is better placed...what a mess...

Zaferes or Spivey? Seems Spivey struggled in Leeds with her period, ....maybe she could have catched the 1st group out of T1...who knows? I think I would pick Spivey. Seems very difficult to see a completely different KZ within 6 weeks time.

And definitely I pick Knibb over Summer in the relay. Knibb in spot 1 can make serious damage.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think a domestique for Pearson would be more about staying in the front group away from the Yee/ Norwegians/ Mola main pack. Morgan was 3rd out of T1 in Leeds. His best odds are to come in with a smaller front group.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Aus gets 3, despite being earned on the strength of Royle and Willian, I can't imagine that they take both of them to the OG, and leave Hauser behind. While Hauser is a long shot at best for the individual race, he's a super sprint monster, and is probably their best pick for the second leg in the MTR (with Birtwhistle on anchor, given his sprint). On the women's side is way wider open since Aus is on the cusp of getting a 3rd ladies spot as well this weekend. The obvious pick to join Gentle is Van Coeverden, however you also have Emma Jackson, McShane, Hegland, Jeffcoat and others as well. If you pick your 3rd spot for the relay, then Emma Jeffcoat is my pick for sure (she also gives you an outside chance in the individual race if a breakaway sticks, since she'd likely be in the swim break, and if Gentle can't catch on the bike their individual hopes are SOL without someone being in the swim break, and at the moment, Jeffcoat is their one true front pack swimmer. It's still tricky to pick though, you could go Gentle, NVC & Jackson, with 3 picks, or do you leave one out and pick Jeffcoat for the relay. Jeffcoat has also raced less lately, so her status depends more on her form in the Oceania champs this weekend, if she makes the podium there, My picks would be Gentle, Jackson & Jeffcoat (NVC is a better MTR choice, but Jackson has more podium potential in the individual race that NVC, however if Aus only gets 2 spots, then it's Gentle and NVC.

Going to be an interesting weekend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
If Aus gets 3, despite being earned on the strength of Royle and Willian, I can't imagine that they take both of them to the OG, and leave Hauser behind. While Hauser is a long shot at best for the individual race, he's a super sprint monster, and is probably their best pick for the second leg in the MTR (with Birtwhistle on anchor, given his sprint). On the women's side is way wider open since Aus is on the cusp of getting a 3rd ladies spot as well this weekend. The obvious pick to join Gentle is Van Coeverden, however you also have Emma Jackson, McShane, Hegland, Jeffcoat and others as well. If you pick your 3rd spot for the relay, then Emma Jeffcoat is my pick for sure (she also gives you an outside chance in the individual race if a breakaway sticks, since she'd likely be in the swim break, and if Gentle can't catch on the bike their individual hopes are SOL without someone being in the swim break, and at the moment, Jeffcoat is their one true front pack swimmer. It's still tricky to pick though, you could go Gentle, NVC & Jackson, with 3 picks, or do you leave one out and pick Jeffcoat for the relay. Jeffcoat has also raced less lately, so her status depends more on her form in the Oceania champs this weekend, if she makes the podium there, My picks would be Gentle, Jackson & Jeffcoat (NVC is a better MTR choice, but Jackson has more podium potential in the individual race that NVC, however if Aus only gets 2 spots, then it's Gentle and NVC.

Going to be an interesting weekend!

I believe any choices will be made favouring MTR. Aus have made it pretty clear that is their focus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hemming just announced he is out of Hautulco with A foot injury.
I guess that's it then for USA 3rd spot gone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow... how many points does he lose, and what the others have to do to pass him?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Hemming just announced he is out of Hautulco with A foot injury.
I guess that's it then for USA 3rd spot gone.

Only if Royle is in top 8 or Crisanto is top 3.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://triathlon.org/...0/qualified_athletes

Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What points are available here being sprint?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right about Justus Nieschlag for Germany, but Lisa Tersch didn't qualify at their test event, Anabel Knoll (raced NCAA for Queens) did. So it'll be Knoll and Lindemann, and Nieschlag (and I guess Schomburg?) for Germany.
Quote Reply

Prev Next