Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where he barely worked with athletes I bet, and definitely had no actual impact on the brownlees. Coaches like him want to actually coach, and 512 days out is a fair bit away. Without anything more substantial than that I think you need to do better.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moneydog59 wrote:
haha, sounds like SheTries is the QANON of ITU triathlon...!!!

Ha ha. It is a Tom Selleck quote. Just being a bit daft on a slow day
Last edited by: SheTries: Jun 26, 21 9:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What other information is out there? I have never heard anything other than great things about Joel. He has publicly stated many times that he is a coach, he coaches athletes and wasn't coaching ay when at Brit Tri. The statement put out by Brit Tri sounds like there was no problem. He has a very large squad of happy athletes, I think you are just jumping to the wrong conclusion because he changed jobs, to go back to doing what he enjoys, coaching athletes.
Last edited by: chrisb12: Jun 26, 21 11:54
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
That leaves triathlon Canada in a very bad place. We are only telling you when the sanction is over, and we are not telling you who it was what he did and for how long the ban was. So you might have been training with this guy or girl privately without knowing he had been punished for certain wrong doing. This just stinks.

Chelsea Burns has just posted that this is the 2nd time that this coach has been sanctioned and by 2 NGBs.

I couldn’t find any info on the 1st sanction but he has worked for Tri Aus and US Tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm baffled as to why some who has been sanctioned doesn't get named.

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spirig beat Ann Haug by about 5mins at Challenge Walchsee, which was supposed to be just a training race for her.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
Can you please share our point to that information? There's no way we can let it in if we don't know what it is ;-)

https://twitter.com/kerry_lang
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
ecce-homo wrote:
Can you please share our point to that information? There's no way we can let it in if we don't know what it is ;-)

Yeh they are married. Pretty common knowledge. Not exactly Brett Sutton stuff.

But I can understand some would see as unprofessional.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
ecce-homo wrote:

Are you the same Rob H from Leeds Tri Centre?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:

No! Although the other Rob H is a friend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
ecce-homo wrote:

I wasn’t even aware they were a couple never mind married.

NGBs are publicly funded bodies who treat their elite athletes as they want to protect their own positions. They have a responsibility to be open and honest.

They investigate themselves and sweep what they want under the carpet. There have been far too many coach’s suspended in secret, far too many people “let go by mutual consent” to avoid damaging the brand and far far too many athletes either lost or severely damaged.

Does a coach who leaves by mutual consent suddenly change their behaviour? If a NGB has a destructive culture will it change by being secretive?

We sell safe guarding as being the cutting edge of policy and then hide behind data protection/confidentiality to keep everything secret.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
SheTries wrote:

No! Although the other Rob H is a friend

So are you Rob H from his old club?
Last edited by: SheridanTris: Jun 28, 21 0:28
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NZ team has now been named for Olympics. Sam Ward has missed out but Tri NZ selectors have been slammed for not following their own selection policy. The article about this is behind a paywall:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/tokyo-olympic-games-2020-top-athlete-left-broken-as-report-slams-triathlon-nz/EJK3ZXKSD2MW2OU5XCJ72ZCFME/

This article is not paywalled, but doesn't cover the more controversial aspects of this decision:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/300343998/tokyo-olympics-nz-triathlon-team-named-but-sam-ward-misses-out
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Sam Ward injured?

He hasn't been racing in Oceania with the rest of the team, and isn't named as the Olympics reserve - Trent Thorpe is.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [enduro50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the articles, Sam Ward is pretty gutted and he said no to being a reserve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
According to the articles, Sam Ward is pretty gutted and he said no to being a reserve.

Understandable. Not sure if Adrien Briffod has been named a reserve or not for the Swiss but I know he's also gutted and doesn't understand (nor do many).
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Few comments on Spirig's race this weekend. Phenomenal swim .. followed Sara Perez' feet who is one of the fastest swimmers in the sport (former olympian swimmer). If she can be in the breakaway with Flora will be huge to see that.
anyone knows whats the matter with GTB? shes not raced yet this season.
The spanish media is predicting breakaway in the women's race in Tokyo and the big bunch in T2 in the men's. If this is so likely to happen everyone would pick Yee, Mola, Geens, Wilde and Pearson for the medals.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:

Such a bullshit decision by NZ. Sam swims well, rides well and runs rings around Reid's run.. I hope they regret screwing an athlete over like this. I love the relays but sadly there have been some shitty decisions made by federations due to the inclusion.
Still waiting to hear who Aus have named, makes me think they have done something similar and it's going through the appeals process
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
Few comments on Spirig's race this weekend. Phenomenal swim .. followed Sara Perez' feet who is one of the fastest swimmers in the sport (former olympian swimmer). If she can be in the breakaway with Flora will be huge to see that.

Spirig smashed that race, on a road bike with a road helmet. If she's up there after the swim (and this race suggested she could be), she's my favourite.

She certainly flies under the radar on this forum. Has she ever lost a 70.3?
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
fulla wrote:

Such a bullshit decision by NZ. Sam swims well, rides well and runs rings around Reid's run.. I hope they regret screwing an athlete over like this. I love the relays but sadly there have been some shitty decisions made by federations due to the inclusion.
Still waiting to hear who Aus have named, makes me think they have done something similar and it's going through the appeals process

Possibly a domestique for Gentle and not following selection criteria? Only way they are getting a medal on the women’s side is if she can ride up to the breakaway group and then a strong run,
Last edited by: SheridanTris: Jun 29, 21 6:33
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
anyone knows whats the matter with GTB? shes not raced yet this season.
The spanish media is predicting breakaway in the women's race in Tokyo and the big bunch in T2 in the men's. If this is so likely to happen everyone would pick Yee, Mola, Geens, Wilde and Pearson for the medals.

Somewhat unrelated: Perez-Sala has the most wicked bike position among the girls. She looks like Castroviejo.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Reid willwork as a domestique for Wilde, so not just useful for the relay. However, you ve got 2 spots, ...Ward certainly earnt it being top 20 or so and you give it to no.60 in the ranks, thats ugly. With 3 spots, i can understand that one spot is given to a domestique or a good MTR guy/girl, with 2 clear spots, no way

Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spirig is underrated. I wonder what could have won over these years without 3 kids to raise but certainly the woman that would have dominated 70.3 over Ryf and Lawrence...stillI think she can beat both plus Lucy. She is 39!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
fulla wrote:

Australia Triathlon had announced before the last qualifying weekend that they were going to wait to announce their final selections until right before the July 5th deadline, so that they could continue to size up their athletes in a few more weeks of racing.

I assume that Safesport will eventually report the name of the Sanctioned Tri Can coach (based on the Safesport training I went through, they eventually name and shame). It's generally assumed it's Hall, just based on the public post last year by Matt Sharpe about leaving that group due to not seeing eye to eye with Hall, and then his post saying that he was the one who lodged the complaint. There are a couple of these Coaches that float federation to federation and keep getting let go for inappropriate behaviors (Turner has done stints with a number of NFs, which pretty much all ended in sudden departures). I know that in most cases the NFs are not making public announcements about this to avoid liability. The challenge is that if the Federations investigate their own cases (or in this case, Tri Can has an independent group investigate for them as part of their framework), there's not much impetus beyond protecting their membership (aka suspending or dismissing the individual) and protecting themselves from any liability. Ironically Safe Sport teaches that not doing anything when you know about inappropriate behaviours is to be complicit in those behaviours, so by not making it public, and allowing other federations to hire the same people who end up doing the same things, they could be in a sense complicit with the continuation of said behaviours. Therein lies to conflict of interest of not having an independent structure to not only investigate, but also sanction (this is why there was the move to create independent anti-doping agencies, because NFs couldn't be trusted not to sweep under the rug their doping stars, which helped them lure sponsors and federal funding), and potentially report. Hopefully with World Tri being involved and conducting their own investigation, there's a chance of broader sanctions and transparency worldwide on these cases. I almost wonder if there's a need for some sort of WADA like international body for the protection of athletes, potentially with national bodies that cross sports to handle investigations and sanction process independent of the federations which rely on the results that these individuals produce for funding (that would allow for sanctions spanning national borders, and even sports, much like we see with doping). Canada's national anti-doping organization might be suited to take on this role within Canada considering their name is the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport, but that really only works with an international network of said bodies. I don't know that we'll see this in the short term, but that's my long term prediction, given that we're hearing more and more of these cases in different sports (the number of NHL coaches with abuse allegations, in Canada alone there's been at least 3 track & field coaches receiving bans due to inappropriate sexual behaviors with their athletes going back to the late 70s, prominent NCAA cases, etc.).
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
fulla wrote:

Australia Triathlon had announced before the last qualifying weekend that they were going to wait to announce their final selections until right before the July 5th deadline, so that they could continue to size up their athletes in a few more weeks of racing.

I assume that Safesport will eventually report the name of the Sanctioned Tri Can coach (based on the Safesport training I went through, they eventually name and shame). It's generally assumed it's Hall, just based on the public post last year by Matt Sharpe about leaving that group due to not seeing eye to eye with Hall, and then his post saying that he was the one who lodged the complaint. There are a couple of these Coaches that float federation to federation and keep getting let go for inappropriate behaviors (Turner has done stints with a number of NFs, which pretty much all ended in sudden departures). I know that in most cases the NFs are not making public announcements about this to avoid liability. The challenge is that if the Federations investigate their own cases (or in this case, Tri Can has an independent group investigate for them as part of their framework), there's not much impetus beyond protecting their membership (aka suspending or dismissing the individual) and protecting themselves from any liability. Ironically Safe Sport teaches that not doing anything when you know about inappropriate behaviours is to be complicit in those behaviours, so by not making it public, and allowing other federations to hire the same people who end up doing the same things, they could be in a sense complicit with the continuation of said behaviours. Therein lies to conflict of interest of not having an independent structure to not only investigate, but also sanction (this is why there was the move to create independent anti-doping agencies, because NFs couldn't be trusted not to sweep under the rug their doping stars, which helped them lure sponsors and federal funding), and potentially report. Hopefully with World Tri being involved and conducting their own investigation, there's a chance of broader sanctions and transparency worldwide on these cases. I almost wonder if there's a need for some sort of WADA like international body for the protection of athletes, potentially with national bodies that cross sports to handle investigations and sanction process independent of the federations which rely on the results that these individuals produce for funding (that would allow for sanctions spanning national borders, and even sports, much like we see with doping). Canada's national anti-doping organization might be suited to take on this role within Canada considering their name is the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport, but that really only works with an international network of said bodies. I don't know that we'll see this in the short term, but that's my long term prediction, given that we're hearing more and more of these cases in different sports (the number of NHL coaches with abuse allegations, in Canada alone there's been at least 3 track & field coaches receiving bans due to inappropriate sexual behaviors with their athletes going back to the late 70s, prominent NCAA cases, etc.).

hear hear. i realize i'm a broken record on this point, but brett sutton continuing to have a platform in triathlon is astonishing. in any other sport (as mentioned, for instance, ice hockey), he'd be out of the sport altogether. some sort of coordinated voice across federations that can say, "this person isn't welcome in the sport any longer" would be a useful development, i think, provided it was open to appropriate transparency and appeal.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply

Prev Next