Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
Hemming just announced he is out of Hautulco with A foot injury.
I guess that's it then for USA 3rd spot gone.

Only if Royle is in top 8 or Crisanto is top 3.

Ouch. Are The US men subbing anyone for Hemming? Every place matters, I want McElroy and Pearson on the start line. Both are superior to Royle and CG in a sprint race could really make a difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too late to sub any one in now. That can only happen in the early days of the start list. A withdrawal now spot goes to the first person on the wait list. If no one on the wait list maybe they could get one in, but good luck getting to Mexico in such short notice.
Irrelevant anyway as Hemming will already be 31st as Oceania Champs will move him out.
Last edited by: chrisb12: Jun 11, 21 22:18
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Too late to sub any one in now. That can only happen in the early days of the start list. A withdrawal now spot goes to the first person on the wait list. If no one on the wait list maybe they could get one in, but good luck getting to Mexico in such short notice.
Irrelevant anyway as Hemming will already be 31st as Oceania Champs will move him out.

Forgot about Royle's points at Leeds. Yip US are fucked.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HeartRN wrote:
You're right about Justus Nieschlag for Germany, but Lisa Tersch didn't qualify at their test event, Anabel Knoll (raced NCAA for Queens) did. So it'll be Knoll and Lindemann, and Nieschlag (and I guess Schomburg?) for Germany.

Yep, it is Schomburg...you can see it in this link which will be regularly updated: https://triathlon.org/...ified_athletes.These are the athletes confirmed by their NFs for the start list.
By the way, that kind of "trial" in supersprint distance that Germany did seems a bit odd as IMO, Tersch is a much better triathlete that the rest of the other women (Lindemann apart). She just recently won the national champs...

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure it was Schomburg that the the auto spot at the test event, not Nieschlag.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:

Forgot about Royle's points at Leeds. Yip US are fucked.

mcDowel/McElroy …. Who you got? I am going with McElroy

Was McDowell injured late ‘18 early ‘19? Two more decent races in the first Qualifying period and he would have locked in a top 30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again, glad I don’t have to make that call!

If McElroy had been healthy all spring he’d be the easy choice as only be and Pearson are individual medal contenders. Looks like he’s doing better now and just made some tactical errors night being close to the front and getting stuck in the back when the pack split at Leeds.

I’d think you put him second in the relay so he potentially has feet to follow in the swim, right?

McDowell is very solid and would be my alternate.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Again, glad I don’t have to make that call!

If McElroy had been healthy all spring he’d be the easy choice as only be and Pearson are individual medal contenders. Looks like he’s doing better now and just made some tactical errors night being close to the front and getting stuck in the back when the pack split at Leeds.

I’d think you put him second in the relay so he potentially has feet to follow in the swim, right?

McDowell is very solid and would be my alternate.

yeah I agree with you. Still 5 or 6 weeks left to continue to build after his injury too. I think that's what ppl are forgetting when they looking at favourites etc. 6 weeks is a long time in training and racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McDowell.
2020 actually happened and Kevin was faster than Matt. Kevin didn't get any points for those races, but he has been the better athlete for over a year.
Matt had one truly amazing race.
He hasn't done anything nearly as consistent against the top level fields.

If you're looking for the 2nd relay spot, you're solving for "lowest chance fo F it up".
Matt has a very inconsistent swim and bike. Just look at Leeds. He barely made the group. Then got dropped off the back.
Kevin's bad swim/bikes are a lot better than Matts bad days.

Sure, Kevin might get out run by 3 seconds against Matt if he races it perfect, but they are handing off to Knibb, Summer, or Taylor (I'm assuming Taylor) and all of them can easily close that 3 second delta. But they can't close the 30-45 seconds that Matt might lose if he doesn't swim/bike at 100% of his level.
Last edited by: oprfcc: Jun 12, 21 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
McDowell.
2020 actually happened and Kevin was faster than Matt. Kevin didn't get any points for those races, but he has been the better athlete for over a year.
Matt had one truly amazing race.
He hasn't done anything nearly as consistent against the top level fields.

If you're looking for the 2nd relay spot, you're solving for "lowest chance fo F it up".
Matt has a very inconsistent swim and bike. Just look at Leeds. He barely made the group. Then got dropped off the back.
Kevin's bad swim/bikes are a lot better than Matts bad days.

Sure, Kevin might get out run by 3 seconds against Matt if he races it perfect, but they are handing off to Knibb, Summer, or Taylor (I'm assuming Taylor) and all of them can easily close that 3 second delta. But they can't close the 30-45 seconds that Matt might lose if he doesn't swim/bike at 100% of his level.

2020 actually happened and matt beat kevin once (arzachena) and kevin beat matt twice (hamburg and karlovy). they have split 2021 with yokohama and arzachena. so it's not as black and white as you seem to think it was. regardless, i don't think either is a podium threat so the 2nd pick should be made entirely based on who is the better 2nd leg in the MTR. there, too, it is very close. kevin had a strong hamburg in 2020 but he had a truly horrific hamburg in 2018 (katie ran faster than he did and he was the anchor) with no MTR in between. kevin probably is the safer pick on the MTR but matt has more upside. USAT's decision at the test event to race people in the MTR who won't be racing in Tokyo was beyond idiotic.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty good commentary today at Huatalco. Looks like a big-pick running race coming up. Hindman has been hanging at the back of the pack and needs to move up!

Very curious to see what McDowell does. He is well positioned. Lots of races within the race.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I am not wrong, after Huatulco and the Oceanian cup, Australia got 3 spots, right? So US just 2 spots and Grajales out for the olympics? I just dont understand all the mess with the qualification. Australia with 3 spots mean they will pick Birtwhistle, William and Hausser (they will be thinking of the relay)

In the french GP, Beaugraund dominating, then Van Coevorden and Morier. As for the men, Bicsak back in shape and Gomez very close. I count 5 top favourites for tokyo in the ladies (Duffy,GTB,Learmonth, Kingma, Spirig), men? just such a big bunch (Pearson, Mylswachuck, Mola, Gomez, Luis, Geens, Van Riel, Schoeman, Blummenfelt, Wilde, Yee...and even not counting JB, Iden, Bergere etc

Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If you're looking for the 2nd relay spot, you're solving for "lowest chance fo F it up".
Kevin's bad swim/bikes are a lot better than Matts bad days."

Matt has anchored the MTR four times and the US has a first (Newcastle, where he held off Johnny Brownlee), two 2nd places, and a 9th. He has been extremely consistent for the MTR and has shown he has the speed to manage the shorter distances. In case anyone forgot, he was the top American at the Tokyo test event and had the 5th fastest run. His knee injury earlier this year has made this decision tougher than it should be, but let's not overlook what he's accomplished in the last 24mos.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, in the shorter distance, and smaller groups he has done well. Sometimes the inconsistent swims can be dependant on how the athlete handles the physicality of the washing machine swim, how many times they get smashed and hit and their stroke hindered. Some handle it better than others but in relays it is more pure swimming with small numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
If I am not wrong, after Huatulco and the Oceanian cup, Australia got 3 spots, right? So US just 2 spots and Grajales out for the olympics? I just dont understand all the mess with the qualification. Australia with 3 spots mean they will pick Birtwhistle, William and Hausser (they will be thinking of the relay)

In the french GP, Beaugraund dominating, then Van Coevorden and Morier. As for the men, Bicsak back in shape and Gomez very close. I count 5 top favourites for tokyo in the ladies (Duffy,GTB,Learmonth, Kingma, Spirig), men? just such a big bunch (Pearson, Mylswachuck, Mola, Gomez, Luis, Geens, Van Riel, Schoeman, Blummenfelt, Wilde, Yee...and even not counting JB, Iden, Bergere etc
I think you might be wrong, Crisanto is still ranked about 31. The point of the Royle/Crisanto fight was if Crisanto won the event then Royle would get pushed from the top 30 so no 3rd spot for Aus. Unless Mexico had a requirement for individual selection he will be in. The Mexican that beat him is now ranked 141st, so not qualified to be chosen, by 1 point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Sometimes the inconsistent swims can be dependant on how the athlete handles the physicality of the washing machine swim, .

Starting spot on the pontoon makes a difference - if the athlete isn't high ranked it's straight into the washing machine in the individual race.
Relay swim very different - lots of athletes that don't look like top swimmers in individual are able to make up gaps as they dive and hammer to get into the draft of a group ahead and don't have to worry about anyone else. Much more like a TT.

Have had exactly this conversation with my athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:

Points updated after Huatulco
https://triathlon.org/rankings/olympic_qualification/male

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GB confirmed as

Holland/Learmonth/GTB
JB/Yee
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
GB confirmed as

Holland/Learmonth/GTB
JB/Yee

I think Holland is a wrong pick...but was already decided.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tend to agree, think Sophie Coldwell would be a better pick on current form. And worth remembering that Holland got her spot as a direct rresult of GTB and Learmonth getting themselves DQed in the test event!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, the top 30 only matters if you are trying to qualify 3 individuals. Mexico securely has two spots for men.

He has only mattered on the swim but in a slightly significant development Richard Varga did not qualify for the Olympics.

Lastly: if the WT runs the Olympic selection the same way they have the last 2 Olympic cycles....we get to start this all over again in just 11 months!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know a date that USA will make their announcement?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Anyone know a date that USA will make their announcement?

This Wednesday 6/16.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
Tend to agree, think Sophie Coldwell would be a better pick on current form. And worth remembering that Holland got her spot as a direct rresult of GTB and Learmonth getting themselves DQed in the test event!

There is the Brownlee argument though for Holland, she's a defending medalist, and a recent World Champ, with a proven track record of big one day performances when needed. But I agree, I would also pick Coldwell for the MTR reasons, and leave out Holland.

Nobody is mentioning that Amelie Kretz after a super solid block of Yoko/Lisbon/Leeds/Huatulco managed to scrap her way to getting Canada the second ladies slot, and a spot on the MTR start line. While not announced yet, the men will surely be Mislawchuk & Sharpe (alternates likely Lepage/Briand/Paquet in that order). The women it'll be Brown & Kretz, Jamnicky as alternate (since her top 10 in Huatulco moved her into the top 140, and Emy Legault is sitting a few slots outside).
Quote Reply

Prev Next