Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They showed it on the broadcast - I saw it on lap 2 or 3 of the run. If you don’t see it anywhere else, watch the race replay on triathlonlive.tv when they put it up.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, check out Chase McQueen's Instagram story...video is there.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed today was fun. One of the best ITU days for a while.

My criteria for Ali B being best short course athlete ever is his two gold medals and winning against the best (including Frodeno and Gomez) when it mattered most.

Yes I tend to agree, a sore loser, but then so many top athletes are?

The GB male selection dilemma was sorted today.....unlike the USA ladies situation!
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Yes, check out Chase McQueen's Instagram story...video is there.

Can confirm, I’ve seen it multiple times.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Yeah but it appears she can create a bike breakaway in any race during the swim. And she wouldn’t get dropped, or at least as quick, on an easier course.

On a less selective course 41secs out of the swim is not always enough. And in a sprint distance 10-20 is nothing.

But she's shown that she definitely has enormous potential at ITU. The swim gives her a level of comfort that no long course athlete has ever had.

So can she get into races now that she has good points from the 5th place? Any chance we see her in Huatulco? There are currently no brittri women on the start list.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Adman wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Yeah but it appears she can create a bike breakaway in any race during the swim. And she wouldn’t get dropped, or at least as quick, on an easier course.

On a less selective course 41secs out of the swim is not always enough. And in a sprint distance 10-20 is nothing.

But she's shown that she definitely has enormous potential at ITU. The swim gives her a level of comfort that no long course athlete has ever had.

So can she get into races now that she has good points from the 5th place? Any chance we see her in Huatulco? There are currently no brittri women on the start list.

She will now have 732 points which her ranked 176th. If all the top 55 ranked want race starts then obviously not. GB can give her any start they want though by using the substitution rule, putting in a higher ranked athlete to give GB a spot and then notifying wtcs early that they will be swapping them. This happens frequently and is how Ali got all his starts the last 2 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Adman wrote:
Sean H wrote:

She will now have 732 points which her ranked 176th. If all the top 55 ranked want race starts then obviously not. GB can give her any start they want though by using the substitution rule, putting in a higher ranked athlete to give GB a spot and then notifying wtcs early that they will be swapping them. This happens frequently and is how Ali got all his starts the last 2 years.

Lucy Charles-Barclay

Rankings World Ranking 178 World Triathlon Championship Series Ranking 12 World Triathlon Individual Olympic Qualification Ranking 123 Continental Ranking89
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [5430tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5430tri wrote:
That's hilarious. Alex Yee no doubt incredible, but the conditions in Tokyo will be dramatically different: super hot and humid and a far less difficult bike course. With Royle and Silva getting points today, and Grajales predictably doing well next week, Eli Hemming will need an extremely strong performance next week in Huatulco to hold the 3 men's spots for the USA. Bishop did fine, but would also need an epic race next week to get GB 3 men's spots. The Road to Tokyo is certainly heating up with much interest and drama.

Silva passed Hemming in the rankings. Royle still behind Hemming, as is Crisanto Grajales. Willian will get his points (The start list is, well take a look.)

Looks like Hemming will need to beat everyone to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're exactly right. The irony of all of this, and all of our banter about whether the USA or GB will get 3 men's spots, is that it is very possible neither will, but Australia could with Royle and Willian inching in next weekend. Crazy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me know if my math is wrong

If Eli Hemming fails to improve his points and Willian gets his:

Grajales needs 12th place - if he wins he is in

Royle needs 8th place

Bishop needs 3rd place

*Hemming needs 12th or better to improve his lowest score. If Hemming podiums Royle & Bishop cannot pass him.

Last edited by: LifeTri: Jun 7, 21 6:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What will happen to the slot currently allocated to Richard Murray?

He is wait listed for heart surgery with a normal 3 month rehab. Highly unlikely he will go but does his slot affect who goes or will it go to a RSA athlete?
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably going to Wian SULLWALD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

Grajales needs 12th place

Royle needs 8th place

Bishop needs 3rd place

*Hemming needs 12th or better to improve his lowest score.

My calcs are:

Royle needs 7th to overtake Hemming as is.

Grajales needs 3rd to overtake Hemming as is.

Bishop cannot overtake Hemming.

Hemming needs 8th to better his score.

All of those athletes will replace their lowest score from the 1st qualification period. Also as the weekend is a Sprint only 400 points are available hence Bishop cannot qualify (he'd need 422.81 to improve his score enough to beat Hemming).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

Grajales needs 12th place

Royle needs 8th place

Bishop needs 3rd place

*Hemming needs 12th or better to improve his lowest score.

My calcs are:

Royle needs 7th to overtake Hemming as is.

Grajales needs 3rd to overtake Hemming as is.

Bishop cannot overtake Hemming.

Hemming needs 8th to better his score.

All of those athletes will replace their lowest score from the 1st qualification period. Also as the weekend is a Sprint only 400 points are available hence Bishop cannot qualify (he'd need 422.81 to improve his score enough to beat Hemming).

Waiting patiently for the final start list to go up to see if anyone out or in. There are normally a few changes as they are numbered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bigger picture kind of guy, not digging into the points, what points will drop etc., and I greatly respect your work here; thus, I am assuming you are correct or close. What I do know is Grajales will have a solid race at home and in the heat and humidity, and Royle will race smartly to his capacity, which is strong. Crazy, but pretty cool, to think Bishop can now possibly earn himself a spot on the GB team, though if they miraculously get 3 spots, what a debate they'll have regarding Ali, given the circumstances of yesterday, plus him declaring it to be essentially his final WTSC race.

Bottom line for the USA, Eli needs to perform to his best ability, with no room for error ... errors which have plagued his last two races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
r0bh wrote:
Just been called as Varga on the BBC coverage. DQ.

Yip pretty blatant. They need to get him out of the race and the front group.

Nice aero position from AB.

Not how it works. Athletes who are DSQ'd are allowed to remain in the race, because they have the right to appeal the decision following the race. While there's a 0% chance that he would be successful because it was flagrant (he admitted it on an IG post, that he didn't pay attention in the briefing and thought they were to go around the other side of the buoy, and was pretty embarassed, especially since he's clinging onto an olympic berth by the skin of his teeth, and will need a good race in Huatulco), he had the right to be there. That said, it's a tricky balance between getting a race in, because there have been so few opportunities, and calling it early to rest up for Huatulco.

Will be interesting to see the shootout this weekend in Huatulco for that top 30 ranking to clinch that extra berth.

On the ladies side, despite a sub-par race, Amelie Kretz's 21st move her up a spot, and gave her a bit more breathing room for having clinched a second women's slot for Canada and therefore a crack at the MTR in Tokyo. She's also racing to further consolidate that in Huatulco, but in pretty solid shape to hold onto that spot.

And yes, super impressed with LCB's race. I knew she would be in there in the swim, but I didn't expect her to light it up that much and completely change the race. I was super impressed how she continued to hang in there on the bike, and how she ran off the bike (running off the bike in a DL race is very different than an non-drafting race, I was expecting her to be cramped up like the the guy from Israel in the men's race coming out of T2, I was totally like that in my first DL race after over-biking to hold a group, and hobbled for a mile before my legs came back). She does need to work on bike skills (especially pulling through smoothly, when she would pull through in their chase pack it looked like what we do in crits to disrupt a chase when we have a teammate up the road, rather than when we're trying to lead a smooth and efficient chase), but she's got a front pack swim, and seems to have the bike and run legs to back that up and consistently score points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made a chart. I am just giving WIllian the 400 points. Here is the adjusted 27th - 29th:

27 SILVA 3872.9
28 PERIERA 3839.6
29 WILLIAN 3830.7

I made to show where each athlete ends up at any point in the top 10. To guarantee top 30 spot:

Hemming needs 8th
Royle Needs 5th
Grajales Needs 1st plus Royle lower than 5th OR Hemming lower than 8th
Bishop Needs 1st plus Royle lower than 5th OR Hemming lower than 8th

Because top 30 only matter to countries trying to earn 3 spots, Grajales isn't racing for top 30 the way the others are. Though perhaps Mexico is using this race for athlete selection?

I think Bishop is now racing for his own spot. I like that. And while he needs a little help (in regards to where EH and AR finish), but there is enough fire power in this race for Bishop to assume that a win gets him into the Olympics. I dont see that happening, but at least he controls his own destiny.

One last tidbit: Varga's DQ more than likely cost him a spot in the Olympics. He will need to podium this week to get the needed points. Considering where he was off the bike yesterday, a normal run would have given him enough points to at least put him in the drivers seat for a selection. This was a little confusing on the broadcast but I think Varga went left of the last buoy on the first lap. On the second lap he did it again but actually swam back to it.

Here is the Huatolco chart is where the athlete ends up:

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th Hemming 4020 3990 3962 3937 3913 3891 3871 3852 3834 3818 Royle 3960 3930 3903 3877 3853 3831 3811 3792 3775 3771 Grajales 3849 3819 3791 3765 3742 3720 3699 3680 3663 3647 Bishop 3838 3808 3780 3755 3731 3709 3689 3670 3652 3636
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless there is something I do not understand these are not correct. Bishop, for example, would be dropping his 90 points from 2019 Montreal, not his 166 from 2018 Montreal.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
And yes, super impressed with LCB's race. I knew she would be in there in the swim,

for context: the normal delta between the men's and women's swims is 80-90 seconds. LCB was 40 seconds back of Royle yesterday. She drastically impacted the entire event. Coldwell and Spivey didn't run as expected, perhaps 18 minutes at level 11 took a lot out of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Trauma wrote:
And yes, super impressed with LCB's race. I knew she would be in there in the swim,

for context: the normal delta between the men's and women's swims is 80-90 seconds. LCB was 40 seconds back of Royle yesterday. She drastically impacted the entire event. Coldwell and Spivey didn't run as expected, perhaps 18 minutes at level 11 took a lot out of them.

I was more excited about the women´s than the men´s race. LCB definitely is a character and changed all the dynamics even dropping the likes of Beaugraund, Duffy, Zaferes and other great swimmers (I think she would be able to hang on with the top male swimmers in the draft, unless AB would have ducked her :D). I wonder what might have happened if GTB was racing as her swim is just in the limit for the break...anyhow, the 3 girls are picked unless Holland is seriously injured and reserve no.1 should be Coldwell.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5430tri wrote:
I'm a bigger picture kind of guy, not digging into the points, what points will drop etc., and I greatly respect your work here; thus, I am assuming you are correct or close. What I do know is Grajales will have a solid race at home and in the heat and humidity, and Royle will race smartly to his capacity, which is strong. Crazy, but pretty cool, to think Bishop can now possibly earn himself a spot on the GB team, though if they miraculously get 3 spots, what a debate they'll have regarding Ali, given the circumstances of yesterday, plus him declaring it to be essentially his final WTSC race.

Bottom line for the USA, Eli needs to perform to his best ability, with no room for error ... errors which have plagued his last two races.

Bishop might not even be onstart line due to Covid travel restrictions. It is on the red no travel list.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thoughts from Leeds..

Women's, think this is probably the best women's race I've ever watched mainly due to LCB, I think Learmonth getting the draft in the swim for once allowed her the extra power to get up that hill (maybe LCB will want to swap with her in that lead swim if they race again) as she might have made that front bike pack.

I wish they could have split the screens cos the amount of battles we had going on shouldn't have been missed, obviously the front , then Spivey and LCB, Potter and Baugrant (probably the two fastest runners facing off)

I got it wrong about LCB, never in a million years did I think she'd have the speed to hang with the elite in ITU, Brit Tri have missed a trick cos with her and Learmonths swim they're guaranteed a decent enough lead out the swim that has a much better chance to stick aslong their is no Spirig to bring everyone up.

Great performance from Learmonth coming off an injury, Spivey is looking a much better medal contender than KZ right now which is a shame for KZ, Duffy is looking scary good again.

Mens....Pretty much a passing of the tourch from the Brownlees to Yee, it was good to finally see Yee doing the run everyone knew he was capable of doing after putting a decent swim and bike in. Being a huge Brownlee fan it's been sad watching the decline but at least Yee looks like he can potentially pick off where they left off at Rio, maybe Wylde will become his Gomez and we can get a decent rivalry.

Speaking of Gomez, we've no idea where he is after that, but his swim and bike was not good enough to get him in the Brownlee front pack. Was a suggestion in commentary he might not make selection which is ridiculous if you ask me, a fit Gomez has to go.

I like how they're now putting stats up on the broadcast but putting individual swim/bike/run splits from different courses seems pointless. Maybe if they can dig out headtohead split times on athletes on the run who are together for example would be more useful.

Who is the women doing the interviews at the end? She can barely speak English, add the mask and I can't understand a word she's saying, surely they can find someone with English as a 1st language, I'm sure the British bloke on commentary used to do them.
Last edited by: Jackets: Jun 7, 21 15:20
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The full race is up and it was great to watch, Lucy did awesome and the commentator said she only had 11 days notice to participate in this race. She looked great but you can definitely tell she doesnt have the road bike comfort level that the other ITU athletes have. She has a super noisy upper body riding style which may be normal for her but isnt as smooth as others. It was amazing to see the gap that got opened just from T1.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

Just thought I would drop in here and say thanks for the kind words.

Really enjoyed racing Leeds. Definitely lots to learn and plenty to work on, especially transition practice and becoming more confident on corners in a group. I felt like I got better as each lap went by, but I was learning on the job.

For context, on some of the hairpins I was pushing 700w to get back onto the back of the group. I was abit concerned how my running legs would feel after such high intensity surging, but surprisingly felt great. Maybe the zwift style events + the 1500m freestyle training has prepared me for this style of racing.

Doesn’t look like I’ll get on anymore World Series or short course races before kona, I’m ranked too low to be automatically guaranteed a start + races are few and far between.

That’s fine though, after the 1500m freestyle Olympic trials I switched by focus back to kona as it became clear I wouldn’t get many (any starts this year, Leeds was a surprise).

I’ve been in Lanzarote the last 6 weeks with training focus of laying down a base phase in preparation for long distance training. Long course remains my plan for the rest of the season. Leeds was abit of roll the dice and see what happens!

Looking ahead, definitely keen to race some more short course events throughout 2022 and gain experience.

Upcoming races;

PTO ATW Eton
70.3 European Championships Elsinore
PTO outlaw half Holkham
Collins cup (if I’m still ranked top 4 and/or select)
Kona

Lucy
Last edited by: Lucy Charles: Jun 7, 21 13:10
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Lucy Charles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SO admirable and remarkable that you would take the time to let the ST Community know a little about your race, as well as your plans. You certainly gained even more respect in our tri world than you already - rightfully - had. Wishing you a great rest of the year, and hoping you will tackle the WTSC series more in 2022 ... Paris 2024 is not that far away!
Quote Reply

Prev Next