Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just make it obligatory to do the individual to be a part of relay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They can't just add more ppl. IOC only added the relay on the proviso no extra athletes. IOC are trying to cut the number of athletes across the board as it is. I thought the athletes had to race the individual to be able to race MTR. There is almost a week between the events. NFS could really be stuffing things up with IOC if they don't race their athletes properly in the individual. IOC want 3 great events, if they don't get them they will likely cut them back to the individual only or relay only. It is all about TV interest not the sports.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Australia is announcing their squad in 2 hours
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
Are you telling me that for the TV show it is more fun to watch a flat circuit with 180Âş turns than a hilly course sort of Arzachena but longer? I would think just the opposite, they keep the bike leg inside the cities for the local spectators...

Regarding the MTR, I would put it days before the individual race, so you avoid DNS DNFs and so on... dangerous? yes, some people might get injured but I dont find a better solution. You could even order to finish the individual race to go on the MTR...but do you think the ones focused in the relay are going to go full gas? plainly no.

So, IMHO the best choice for Paris should be to add extra people for the MTR. It works like that in T & F, so you dont compromise the individual race which is the main thing in the sport, isnt it?

I agree that putting MTR a few days before the individual race would be a solution, given how short each of the MTR is.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joining Birtwhistle and Gentle are Royle, Hauser, Jeffcoat and Hedgeland. Seems like VanC did a lot of work for nothing here.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Joining Birtwhistle and Gentle are Royle, Hauser, Jeffcoat and Hedgeland. Seems like VanC did a lot of work for nothing here.

Yeah, very surprised (and kind of disappointed) by this selection. I would have selected Willian ahead of Royle for sure, and Natalie ahead of either Jeffcoat or Hedgeland.

Politics, etc, again may have played a role. Royle is in the same coaching structure as Birtwhistle, and JF has recently been appointed the new Head Coach for Australia.
Last edited by: Diabolo: Jul 1, 21 18:55
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hasn’t Natalie van c had way better results than the others? Quite often hear of her getting top 10s from what I can recall?
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Hasn’t Natalie van c had way better results than the others? Quite often hear of her getting top 10s from what I can recall?

She was on form these past two months for sure. And she's a good one to have for the 1st spot in the relay with her strong swim and all around goodness. Jeffcoat is also a strong swimmer but not quite as fast on the run I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like Jeffcoat often gets that blue jersey for the fastest swim in Super League racing. Not sure how helpful that is on the first leg. That is the easiest one to draft and stay with the group, I’d think. She may be relatively faster for the 2k than 10k? I would also think of VC as potentially a better runner.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:

Um, yes. She should be there for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
I feel like Jeffcoat often gets that blue jersey for the fastest swim in Super League racing. Not sure how helpful that is on the first leg. That is the easiest one to draft and stay with the group, I’d think. She may be relatively faster for the 2k than 10k? I would also think of VC as potentially a better runner.

You ideally want a strong swimmer for the first leg to not be out of the race early. Other nations will try to have strong swimmers so you need to match too. This is actually where France are the most vulnerable if they start Leonie Perriault. But Nat VC would have covered that for Australia too and arguably offered a better chance of finishing it off with a strong run.
Last edited by: Diabolo: Jul 1, 21 20:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point - if a front group forms and you’re not in it, that could be a long day at the office…

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

You ideally want a strong swimmer for the first leg to not be out of the race early. Other nations will try to have strong swimmers so you need to match too. This is actually where France are the most vulnerable if they start Leonie Perriault. But Nat VC would have covered that for Australia too and arguably offered a better chance of finishing it off with a strong run.

I agree here. But I do disagree with tour Royle statement. He has worked hard for 3 years racing and chasing points around the world, he deserves his spot and shouldn't have to hand it to someone who chose to race less frequently, picking the races they knew could perform better in and not caring they needed Olympic points as limg as they looked good on paper. Joel would have very minimal impact on selection if any at all as he hasnt even made it to aus yet but another Hp coach does have 2 athletes who weren't required to do too much points chasing or show too many results throughout the period. If Joel had any say wouldn't you think the only Aus female to actually achieve a WTS win, and whom he coaches might have been there.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Diabolo wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

I agree here. But I do disagree with tour Royle statement. He has worked hard for 3 years racing and chasing points around the world, he deserves his spot and shouldn't have to hand it to someone who chose to race less frequently, picking the races they knew could perform better in and not caring they needed Olympic points as limg as they looked good on paper. Joel would have very minimal impact on selection if any at all as he hasnt even made it to aus yet but another Hp coach does have 2 athletes who weren't required to do too much points chasing or show too many results throughout the period. If Joel had any say wouldn't you think the only Aus female to actually achieve a WTS win, and whom he coaches might have been there.

So you would have left Matt Hauser home? Because Luke (Willian) also qualified the spot for Australia, just like Aaron. The only way Aaron contributes in Tokyo is as a domestique. Unlike Willian he's virtually no chance at a top 8 (Willian would be a slim chance if having the race of his life), and not really a top relay guy either. The relay will be Matt Hauser and Jake for sure. But I really question how Aaron can domestique in Tokyo, unless he really swims easy and tries to help Jake. Unless Matt Hauser is back at his best and even better has brought his run to 10K world top level during this COVID period at home and Aaron domestiques on the bike for Matt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have done what TA have dine with the guys. Aaron should be there over Willian is what I am saying. You are saying he shouldn't. He wasn't just fortunately handed any last minute points, he has grinded for years for his.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:

Yet another top ranked athlete in a BS policy.

Apparently they informed those selected 2 weeks ago but it looks like V-C appealed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also looks like she was never going to win her appeal as the photo shoot for the 4 still based in Aus is obviously Port Douglas where the Oceania champs were held.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the MTR instead of promoting the sport is making it stink. I am not aussie (you can notice english is not my mother language) but NVC not selected? So the two girls have been picked for the relay.... Then..Royle deserved the spot but if I am L William I wouldnt be happy i am not selected cause Hausser is better than me in the relay...this is a nonsense and not fair play at all. So, we will have a individual race with 20 girls and guys going for the medals, the rest can use headphones and go for a easy ride and a walk... what a bad management by ITU and IOC....
These are the victims so far:

N. Van Coevorden
T Spivey
L Tersch
Sam Ward
Matt Mc Elroy
Luke William
Adrien Brifford

By the way , Spivey posted in IG a bold statement not hiding how much she is pissed off. She is no.1 in the world rankings right now and sounds terrible she is not in. I am just wondering wether her relation with Zaferes has changed since they train in same squad...

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
I think the MTR instead of promoting the sport is making it stink. I am not aussie (you can notice english is not my mother language) but NVC not selected? So the two girls have been picked for the relay.... Then..Royle deserved the spot but if I am L William I wouldnt be happy i am not selected cause Hausser is better than me in the relay...this is a nonsense and not fair play at all. So, we will have a individual race with 20 girls and guys going for the medals, the rest can use headphones and go for a easy ride and a walk... what a bad management by ITU and IOC....

N. Van Coevorden
T Spivey
L Tersch
Sam Ward
Matt Mc Elroy
Luke William
Adrien Brifford

By the way , Spivey posted in IG a bold statement not hiding how much she is pissed off. She is no.1 in the world rankings right now and sounds terrible she is not in. I am just wondering wether her relation with Zaferes has changed since they train in same squad...

I don’t think they do train in the same squad do they?

Spivey is coached by Paulo Sousa isn’t she?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are right, she trains in the PS´squad (I had assumed Taylor trained together with Vincent luis) However, Luis is training in Font Romeu with KZ and TZ and I dont know if he is too happy or kind of cold to them since this matter arose....I guess he is going on his business. It is not either KZ´s fault but if I were not fit nor possibilities to get fitness within the period between Leeds and Tokyo and if I were frank, I would definitely tell USAT that I am not going. If Katie does not make a top 5 he will be blamed. But it is not her fault, it is USAT´s fault to send one girl who qualified under a test event with a k run TWO YEARS AGO and one girl who made the run of her life one month ago...and had just made a top 5 in the WTS once in 2017 in sprint distance.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:

N. Van Coevorden
T Spivey
L Tersch
Sam Ward
Matt Mc Elroy
Luke William
Adrien Brifford

I was really looking forward to the relay as I think it is a great event, has been fantastic at world champs and Commonwealth Games. At these events it is an additional event, another medal chance not over ruling the individual. It seems to be causing a bit of a shambles and if Federations don't start all of their quota spots in the individual then I won't be feeling the same about it. The individual race should always be the goal and dream of every athlete, just like every other sport that has relays. It should be the main priority. If the individual race isn't supported the athletes will all next qualification period be purely focusing on the relay skills to the detriment if the entire sport at the Olympic level.
Last edited by: chrisb12: Jul 2, 21 6:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also wonder about the relationship between Vincent and the Zaferes. I also hope she drops out if not in shape.

That being said, the Olympics is a one day race and Taylor Spivey didn’t fully get it done on either qualification day. I do understand the concern over using shortened Tokyo, but the selection races were the selection races.

She’s a great athlete and I absolutely understand her frustration and disappointment, but a big part of me thinks this process has give the US women's team a diverse group of athletes capable of winning a medal in several different scenarios.

I still don’t like Kevin over Matt…too bad Kevin didn’t earn more points during the cycle so we could have sent 3.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Spivey the travelling reserve for US?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great question - I would assume she and Matt would be the first choices…haven’t seen anything yet.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think this exists. I think all entries must be made by Monday.
Quote Reply

Prev Next