Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how many points does Charles Barkley get for 5th?
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Yes made this point a few pages back, I'd expect LCB, Learmonth and Coldwell to come out the swim together with a decent lead, then a 2nd pack containing Duffy and a few others chasing.

Pretty good call!

LCB’s run was undeniably impressive…

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question now is what does she do? Go for Paris or stick with Kona?
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
how many points does Charles Barkley get for 5th?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes you wonder…

I’d think ultimately Paris either way. Give Kona a go this year, then switch to ITU? Or jump right in now?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
That's not the question, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:

Is it too much to ask for both?

Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great show for the home crowd with how many GB Athletes were in the top 10. But great performance for Lucy in this. Small sample size on limited time, but will be interesting to see what she does post Kona.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Spivey gets out-run! Potter must be the fastest.

Still shouldn't be a question if Spivey gets the nod for Tokyo. I'm not sure what the debate is about at this point.
Last edited by: bretzky: Jun 6, 21 7:14
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it'll be good to have some American women racing in Tokyo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:

Post race interview she said she wanted to go to France 2024. Talked about the process of getting better race by race so I think we'll see her Olympic distance racing. They also mentioned the commonwealth games which gives a GB triathlete a chance in-between Olympics to wear a national vest.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Commonwealth Games are still 2022, right? I do wonder about Kona this year. That ITU window is small.

Am I wrong in hoping she’s careful with her run coach? Do the UK athletes get more running injuries than other countries, or is it just my impression?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
Adman wrote:

Is it too much to ask for both?

I don't see any reason she can't do both. Back in the day pro triathletes would race all distances. We've seen a number of ITU athletes being successful at 70.3 (Gomez was 70.3 world champion while focusing on ITU). The main reasons we don't see IM athletes competing at ITU are weak swim, they're older and have lost a bit of speed and they're worried they may not be able to compete. If LCB keeps finishing top 3 at Kona, she can validate in a November race, then spend the first half of the year concentrating on shorter stuff, before ramping up the mileage later in the year.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
Spivey gets out-run! Potter must be the fastest.

Still shouldn't be a question if Spivey gets the nod for Tokyo. I'm not sure what the debate is about at this point.

To provide color commentary on broadcasts.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think she will need to commit to ITU one way or another if she wants to be as competitive at short course as she is at long course.

For a bit of perspective it was a smaller field, with a number of big names missing on a course that suits a bike breakaway. Some other courses wont be as forgiving. Normally LCB is always a podium at long course. To get there at ITU will need to totally commit. Definitely has the potential.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prediction:
Van Riel of Belgium on the podium, hopefully a win.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:
Prediction:
Van Riel of Belgium on the podium, hopefully a win.

Very nice prediction.

I had a fiver on Coldwell but dashed after one lap of the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah but it appears she can create a bike breakaway in any race during the swim. And she wouldn’t get dropped, or at least as quick, on an easier course.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Commonwealth Games are still 2022, right? I do wonder about Kona this year. That ITU window is small.

Yer'aving a larf, right!
What do you wonder about Kona? Why is the ITU window "small"? Look at the successful older athletes racing the standard distance.
The jeopardy for her will be being distracted by this short stuff: winning Kona will remain her primary goal (I reckon). The challenge will be integrating the different training demands complicated by more frequent races (and the associated travel/logistics).
She's still young; and the young can (and want to) have it all.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Jun 6, 21 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Yeah but it appears she can create a bike breakaway in any race during the swim. And she wouldn’t get dropped, or at least as quick, on an easier course.

On a less selective course 41secs out of the swim is not always enough. And in a sprint distance 10-20 is nothing.

But she's shown that she definitely has enormous potential at ITU. The swim gives her a level of comfort that no long course athlete has ever had.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone clock who the rogue navigator was there? Must be a DQ for not completing the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SO many thoughts after this morning's #wtcsleeds (World Triathlon) women's race (from my FB post):

1. Lucy Charles-Barclay is amazing! 11 days focused short-course training and riding with some of the best in the world, then outrunning a great Taylor Spivey. The picture shows LCB motoring up the insane finish line hill.

2. Taylor Spivey - major statement for selection to the USA Triathlon Olympic Team. Over the period under consideration by the selection committee, Taylor has shown great consistency as the top American. The only argument for Katie Zaferes at this point is Taylor has not shown consistent medal achievement - Katie has, as the World's #1 pre-pandemic. But, guessing Taylor will get the nod. On a personal level, my heart goes out to Katie.

3. The Brits - With 2 of their three pre-selected women either sick or injured (Vicky Holland and Georgia Taylor-Brown), you have to wonder about the true value of such early selection procedures by British Triathlon. But, you don't have to wonder about their crazy strength on the women's side looking forward to Paris 2024.

4. The course and conditions in Leeds, plus the impact of Lucy Charles-Barclay in the swim, will be dramatically different in Tokyo. Big question as to the British women and men racing in such conditions.

NOW, over to the men.
Last edited by: 5430tri: Jun 6, 21 8:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Anyone clock who the rogue navigator was there? Must be a DQ for not completing the course.

Got my answer, Richard Varga DQ.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [5430tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So AB doing what he needs to early on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just been called as Varga on the BBC coverage. DQ.
Quote Reply

Prev Next