Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:
Loving the BBC commentators attempting to excuse it, “Alistair Brownlee’s right hand has fallen on the shoulder of the other swimmer” “oh, looks like
Chase McQueen seeking to cut across him... it’s the first time he’s raced at the elite level” obviously McQueen should have known that he shouldn’t try to go faster than Brownlee, then “no one sets out to do that ... but it does look bad on camera”.

Bloody hell, it is not even like it was around a buoy.

Can’t wait to see the post race questions...

Christ, they are keeping on with this, “Alistair Brownlee DQ’d for something that happened over an hour and a half ago in the lake”.

I think there may have been a bit more to it than what they showed too. McQueen was full body length in front of Brownlee then suddenly beside, was he pulled back by leg first too, anyone see?
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those not watching the BBC broadcast, post-race AB said that this was most likely his last WTS/WTCS race.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [iankbbl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iankbbl wrote:
For those not watching the BBC broadcast, post-race AB said that this was most likely his last WTS/WTCS race.

Does the olympics count?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With a dumbass name like Chase (Chase, FFS... Where's the 'wanker' emoji when one needs it ?), his parents need their heads shoving under the water as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the first time AB does that kind of stuff. During 2016 finals in Cozumel, Mola reported he took his cap and goggles off at the start of the swim. He wasn't DQed at the time, so I wonder what he did this time that got the refs to actually do something this time.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His father's name is Chad.

Good traditional English name.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
With a dumbass name like Chase (Chase, FFS... Where's the 'wanker' emoji when one needs it ?), his parents need their heads shoving under the water as well.

What a prick of a thing to say, not his fault his parents called him a not even unusual American name.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Not the first time AB does that kind of stuff. During 2016 finals in Cozumel, Mola reported he took his cap and goggles off at the start of the swim. He wasn't DQed at the time, so I wonder what he did this time that got the refs to actually do something this time.
He was swimming on chase feet then suddenly chase was beside him being pushed even further back. Many athletes have talked about being dragged back by their feet to propel the behind athlete forward. 2012 grand final there is footage of him reaching forward and putting hand on Gomez head pushing him down and back which propels him forward. Never been a fair player in my book. Finally got called on it though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:

Where's the Pink?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:
Commonwealth Games are still 2022, right? I do wonder about Kona this year. That ITU window is small.

Yer'aving a larf, right!
What do you wonder about Kona? Why is the ITU window "small"? Look at the successful older athletes racing the standard distance.
The jeopardy for her will be being distracted by this short stuff: winning Kona will remain her primary goal (I reckon). The challenge will be integrating the different training demands complicated by more frequent races (and the associated travel/logistics).
She's still young; and the young can (and want to) have it all.
Maybe. We’ll see. I don’t think You can do both well at the same time. Or at least in the WTS era. She could do fine at ITU on mainly IM training, but I don’t know about making the Olympics for GB.
Agree you can't do both LD and WTCS/standard properly at the same time, though expect (for example) Iden and Blummenfelt, and maybe Spirig will be front pack players in 70.3s after July 2021, as will Brownlee (ii), and Iden in Collins Cup and Utah. As an uber swimmer who is also strong in both bike and run (name me another) she is uniquely capable of both, in a time/season divided way. But Charles Barclay must surely want to top the world stage, and that's Kona: loss of focus will likely undermine her chances. Who wouldn't want to race in an Olympics (remember her non-selection experience (10km OW swim). She must be so pleased with her run today (35:07, faster than Learmonth and Coldwell, 7th fastest in the field), and managing to stay safe on the bike in a small pack, in close quarters.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Jun 7, 21 4:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Engner66 wrote:

He was swimming on chase feet then suddenly chase was beside him being pushed even further back. Many athletes have talked about being dragged back by their feet to propel the behind athlete forward. 2012 grand final there is footage of him reaching forward and putting hand on Gomez head pushing him down and back which propels him forward. Never been a fair player in my book. Finally got called on it though.

AB has been full of skull duggery for as long as I have been watching him (2008-2009). Whether it's dunking in the swim (or allegedly getting team mates to target individuals), cutting the swim course, using motos for drafting, illegally drafting in a non-drafting race or getting to design your own course, the guy is utterly ruthless. Got a feeling it's not a coincidence he's finally getting caught as his athletic powers start to wane.

I think as he enters Long Course properly now he cannot expect as much leeway as he was sometimes given in ITU.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think ruthless is a pretty good description. Designing your own course is a bit of a stretch though in terms of an accusation.

I don't think there is any need to read too much into getting caught. This is a triathlon in his home town so it actually reflects well on the race organisation that they pulled him rather than show favouritism. Hopefully there are just more cameras and more attention too them. It's been mentioned for as long as there has been mass swim tris but very few penalties and it can only be a good thing if that is changing.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
Adman wrote:
Question now is what does she do? Go for Paris or stick with Kona?

Is it too much to ask for both?

I don't see any reason she can't do both. Back in the day pro triathletes would race all distances. We've seen a number of ITU athletes being successful at 70.3 (Gomez was 70.3 world champion while focusing on ITU). The main reasons we don't see IM athletes competing at ITU are weak swim, they're older and have lost a bit of speed and they're worried they may not be able to compete. If LCB keeps finishing top 3 at Kona, she can validate in a November race, then spend the first half of the year concentrating on shorter stuff, before ramping up the mileage later in the year.

"That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty good so far."

DOOOO ITTT!
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
I think ruthless is a pretty good description. Designing your own course is a bit of a stretch though in terms of an accusation.

I don't think there is any need to read too much into getting caught. This is a triathlon in his home town so it actually reflects well on the race organisation that they pulled him rather than show favouritism. Hopefully there are just more cameras and more attention too them. It's been mentioned for as long as there has been mass swim tris but very few penalties and it can only be a good thing if that is changing.

I'm over in the UK and the old course they definitely had input into. I kinda think making a course to suit your strengths is going too far in terms of a level playing field. But at that time it was the 2012 golden brothers so I guess anything was okay over here.

But yeh it's good they are not messing about anymore. But I do wonder if AB had been fit whether they would have done it (Although a fit AB was not getting anywhere near Yee today)
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If deep down LCB knows her best can’t beat Ryf’s best (and it probably can’t), she might decide to focus on Paris 2024. After Paris maybe Ryf is retired by then and she jumps back into long course. She’ll only be 30 then and would have close to a decade for IM. Focusing on ITU will improve her weakness (running) if she can stay healthy.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
If deep down LCB knows her best can’t beat Ryf’s best (and it probably can’t), she might decide to focus on Paris 2024. After Paris maybe Ryf is retired by then and she jumps back into long course. She’ll only be 30 then and would have close to a decade for IM. Focusing on ITU will improve her weakness (running) if she can stay healthy.

That is not how it works. Deep down LCB thinks she can win a gold in the Olympics in 3 events ( 1500 free ) and then win Kona. Kind of joking but not really.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [5430tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not so sure Spivey made much of a statement. Her run split of 35:30 was the same as Kasper and Katie Z and if if they were out of the water with her (which they normally are), she could have easily been 3rd American. Flora ran a 33:47 and Cassandre ran 35 flat if I recall so the bronze might be the best hope for the American women. Funny how the men might have a stronger hope...

I do understand that Spivey was the top American today and had a good Yokohama, but she does not look like a real medal threat at this point.

From a sad Spivey fan....

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
End of the ITU era for Ali B and very soon for Johnny. Ali was deservedly DQd today (and maybe should receive a technical race ban?).

To all the haters, each to their own but Ali and Johnny have changed ITU racing for the better during the last 12 years or so. Ali is without doubt the greatest short distance triathlete of all time (for now).

Johnny has one last hurrah in Tokyo. I hope he swims up front and then just sits in and does no work on the bike like plenty of others have done with him over the years. He cannot run as quickly off a hard bike now but just might medal if he is completely fresh. He does stand chance of a third Olympic medal in the relay though. GB got to be favourites now?
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If she goes to commonwealths she will race for one of the home nations not GBR.

I think she is English but depending on grand-parents she could be able to chose which nation.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. To the extent that Spivey made a statement it was only that she can beat an off Zaferes. The US wants medals, nothing else. If it is my choice I am taking KZ.

I still want VL on the anchor over Yee. But if I am team GB I’m feeling pretty good about the relay.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely, which was why I wrote 'a' national vest ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:

Wow! I haven’t logged into slow twitch to comment for a long time, but I recovered my login password just to say go F@CK yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AB the best ITU athlete of all time without doubt? I disagree...how do you measure that?
In terms of one day performace, might be. In terms of being at the top for more years, no, that is Gomez (x5times WC)...then lets not forget MAllen or Simon Lessing...
I have always liked/hated the Brownlees but today's dunk has been so ugly...just an ugly way to say goodbye. The guy has not ever known how to lose. Do you imagine Gomez or Frodeno doing this? I dont
So, GB has a potential medal with Yee over JB... No surprise except Birtwhistle well behind and Pearson doing great again...The thing is that seeing Yee, Pearson, Wilde, Mola, Blummenfelt...the frenchmen, Schoeman and JB (maybe Gomez) will swim damn fast in Tokyo to make the breakaway.
Nice victory for Maya. Jess is not 100% but Duffy was also there and could not keep up in the swim... IMO Duffy is favourite no.1 for Tokyo. Then, the USA selection...KZ or Spivey? who is in better shape? Can KZ overcome this bad period and be 100% in tokyo? If not, Spivey..
Team GB must be wondering about the Holland's spot to be given to Coldwell or even LCB. With Lucy you can assure a medal with Jess or GTB. Without lucy you can make the big day with any of them, but Holland has not been at her best for a long time.
Today was fun.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Last edited by: juanillo: Jun 6, 21 14:27
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a link to a video showing AB’s violation? Not finding anything online yet.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
Anyone have a link to a video showing AB’s violation? Not finding anything online yet.
Thanks.

I don’t have a link, but I have the video. It’s blatantly intentional.
Quote Reply

Prev Next