Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually maybe I should cut him a bit more slack as I'm not sure there are really any other male athletes that SA could have picked to replace him
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
0/10 to Richard for me, Jamie Riddle is a real prospect for SA triathlon in the next 12 years so will definitely be going to Paris and LA. Just imagine the experience he would have gained from racing the Games this year and the learning curve he would be on. Also If not Jamie, Sullwald has never had the Olympic opportunity and has had to go his whole career fighting for everything as TSA don't help our athletes one bit so it would have been a great reward for him. 0/10 Richard.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [DinoBoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT's a good point - an 18 year old Alistair Brownlee got a trip to Beijing with no pressure - he just went out and gave it a lash. Got himself out there at the head of the race for a while and no doubt took a huge boost of confidence and experience into the next 4 years then London.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had posted this some days ago...after a heart surgery, even a small one, then some weeks of rest and now the olympics? It is a crazy idea and dont understand it at all. It is kind of risky for him and bad for the team...Sullwald has not shown up for quite a lonfg time but I guess you can put someone like him our any youngster for the relay cause Murray will not run 100%..

I read some news about bookmakers on the race...Zaferes is the less profitable (which I dont understand) and Duffy and Spirig are not even in the top 4
In the men´s , Mola is no.1, then Luis, then J.Brownlee and Yee...again, ..more sense, but JB????
So, if you wanna earn some dollars, make some investment cause I think the ones betting dont follow the sport too much...

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Last edited by: juanillo: Jul 22, 21 4:21
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On rankings I think only Sullwald and Riddle could have been picked. Taking Murray so soon after heart surgery seemed bonkers from the outset. What's he going to do, jog round his leg of the relay trying to keep his heart rate down? Just seems completely pointless
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crappy that they pulled the plug last minute on Murray, and can't sub him from a quota perspective. Sulliwald and Riddle, could have been selected, Sulliwald as a life's achievement or Riddle as an investment in the future. But lets not pretend, with or without a full strength Richard Murray that they had any chance at a medal in the relay, Ackerman and Sanders are both great athletes, but they give up too much to many of the ladies that they will face in the relay to keep them realistically in contention. They couldn't have gotten Sulliwald or Riddle there for the individual event, but it might have been possible for them to make it for the relay (the briefings are virtual, but the packet pick-up is in person, not sure if they have to pick up their packet to be relay eligible?). I hope they run him last in their relay, so that he doesn't get them lapped out before some of the others get to race.

As for Vilaca. I have been scratching my head at this one. The Joao's are established, and when they are on their day, can be in the mix, but Portugal's future is Vilaca. He's only 96th in the Olympic rankings, because his 2020 races didn't count, but in terms of podium potential, I'd still put his odds better as Perreria or Silva. That said, I suspect he got the shaft because they failed to qualify a second female slot for the games. They missed out on MTR selection, and on individual results, only Santos was ranked high enough to earn a slot. If there had been an MTR in play, they would have had to take Vilaca, but without that, I suspect, they picked their top 2 ranked athletes. I suspect will see a very Hungry Vilaca in Montreal, where the Superleague-esque format will suit him.

If I were placing bets on Montreal (which I am not), I would suspect that a number of those who got the Olympic shaft will be firing on all cylinders and will have good races (Spivey, Vilaca, Nat VC, Willian, McElroy, Kasper, Coldwell, etc.) (scratch Willian and McElroy, who are not on the MTL startlist at the moment)
Last edited by: Trauma: Jul 22, 21 6:45
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do ypu think " they pulled the plug on Murray" ? It sounds like he pulled the plug, for his sponsors and career being at the olympics is big that would be why he left it until now to admit he can't race. If had done earlier someone may have been sent in his place and he wouldn't be a Tokyo Olympian. It was obvious he wouldn't be able to race. Can't believe he was even named on the team. No other country would risk doing that, not with heart issues.
What is the story with relays, would the athlete have to start the individual to be eligible to compete ?
Last edited by: chrisb12: Jul 22, 21 7:13
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, you're right he pulled the plug, but there's no way that the federation wasn't aware that this was a probability, and question why they didn't have a talk with him about this a week ago, when they could have swapped him out... There's no requirement to start the individual race to race the relay, but the relay starters have to occupy one of the country's quota spots (i.e. be on the startlist for the individual race)... There was just the statement from the World Tri athletes' commission urging federations not to tell people that they can't start the individual race, and that regardless if their selection was relay focused, to give the athlete the option to race the individual event... In the case of South Africa, knowing that he had heart surgery, it's mind blowing that they didn't travel an alternate who could have been swapped in when this occurred...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's mind blowing that (a) Murray didn't withdraw himself from selection when he realised he'd need heart surgery, and (b) Triathlon South Africa selected him after he'd had heart surgery
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most countries have a pending fitness clause in their selection policy. He must have convinced them he would be fit and fine to race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
dalava wrote:
At LB, as the pack turning into the transition area - which is the only tech element of the course - to finish the first lap, one of the south American athletes misjudged the corner and turned in too wide, hit the medium strip and went down. Luckily he didn't hit the deck too hard and was able to get up quickly, and since he was so wide and no one was following his line, it didn't cause any chain reaction. That's when I thought "whoa, this could've taken out a gold medal contender". Most of the Canadian high performance team was there and I saw them pacing back and forth, I am sure they were also holding their collective breath during the bike leg.

They might have been having flashbacks to London, when Whitfield got crashed out by one of the South American athletes (who was mortified that he had taken Whitfield out)...

Actually Whitfield duffed it and slid out on a speed bump and took out the rider behind him. From Costa Rica, ended up finishing as I recall.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Australians open about team tactics:

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/australian-triathletes-team-083206616.html

Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang it, one of our Belgian medal hopes is out.. Jelle Geens can't participate in the individual race (might be able to do the relay) since he had some Covid-like symptoms in the run up to the games, he has to have 2 negative tests over a period of 14 days, tested negative once but still has to wait 96h before he can do the last test..
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
Dang it, one of our Belgian medal hopes is out.. Jelle Geens can't participate in the individual race (might be able to do the relay) since he had some Covid-like symptoms in the run up to the games, he has to have 2 negative tests over a period of 14 days, tested negative once but still has to wait 96h before he can do the last test..

Very disappointing for him and for us viewers/fans too. One of the podium potentials (more so than Martin in my opinion).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really? I cant believe it. Geens was in the mix for the medal....He was 2nd in Yokohama and showed great fitness and being in the JF´s squad is a plus....hope he can recover but testing negative and still waitng for another test? what is a COVID sympthom to warn the medical staff? temperature? headache? These days must be super stressful for all the athletes just hoping not to suffer any sympthom or they will be put in quarantine...

any news about the water? cause if it is that dirty, maybe some athletes could get an infection and miss the relay...hope they are monitoring and have a plan B and that plan is not a duathlon....

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:

Not just the men. There are domestiques for Gentles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He tested positive for Covid as I understand it. He didn't just have symptoms

https://www.220triathlon.com/...positive-covid-test/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is crazy, would be nuts if it takes the Belgian Hammers out of the relay...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:

What?? As an Aussie who follows pretty dam close, this is something I hadn't heard was happening, not in the mens anyway, women's I suspected maybe the reason for the selections. Aus don't normally do this in a big way, not in the men, not like a full on domestique who waits for the chosen athlete as in Sharp/Mislawchuck fashion. Had happened with Jeffcoat and Gentle in grand final win but not seen them use it for men. Wonder if it is more we won't pull too many turns if in the front pack if Jake isn't there yet try not to hinder his chances.
Last edited by: chrisb12: Jul 23, 21 7:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shame about Murray, a fully fit Murray would have been a medal contender, can't remember the last time he had a good race though.

Geens was my pick for a bronze, I'm going to have to go back to that prediction thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
Really? I cant believe it. Geens was in the mix for the medal....He was 2nd in Yokohama and showed great fitness and being in the JF´s squad is a plus....hope he can recover but testing negative and still waitng for another test? what is a COVID sympthom to warn the medical staff? temperature? headache? These days must be super stressful for all the athletes just hoping not to suffer any sympthom or they will be put in quarantine...

any news about the water? cause if it is that dirty, maybe some athletes could get an infection and miss the relay...hope they are monitoring and have a plan B and that plan is not a duathlon....

He says he tested positive a few weeks back and only got a negative yesterday. Too late to travel and race I guess as need 2 negatives. I am sure as he says hoped to be negative in time, he has probably been testing pretty much daily, so that would been first negative. He has been very quiet in socials for a while which is unusual for him. No sign of him at the Hammers holding camp in Tokyo before going into village. Now we know why.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Men's registration is complete, start lists have been updated with a number of scratches from the individual race.
- Geens and Murray are obviously out
- Both Dutch men are also scratched from the individual race, likely in favor of saving their legs for the MTR.

Everyone else seems to have at least checked in... No obvious swaps for alternates off the start list. tomorrow we'll get confirmation on the women's field.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is awful…he is an exciting athlete and seemed like a legit contender.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, van Riel is a great athlete in all disciplines but I'm guessing that a smaller group on the bike won't say away and they'll arrive into T2 with a "lager" group, where run speed is critical and then Geens has a very good shot at the podium together with Yee and Wilde.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Men's registration is complete, start lists have been updated with a number of scratches from the individual race.
- Geens and Murray are obviously out
- Both Dutch men are also scratched from the individual race, likely in favor of saving their legs for the MTR.

Everyone else seems to have at least checked in... No obvious swaps for alternates off the start list. tomorrow we'll get confirmation on the women's field.

So an even thinner men's field at the back of the swim.

I moved some ethereum around to invest in the race so just watched bits and pieces of the women's Leeds race --- what really convinced me to invest in Flora was that her run split was faster than Beth Potter and Cassandra Beaugrand --- I think it will be very hard to beat Flora and she'll get most of my eth for the win and some for top 3.

So who to put on a smaller investment for 'top 3' investment?

I'm leaning toward Maya Kingma -- she closed the gap to Learmonth early in the bike in Leeds and can probably hang with Flora on the bike.

My long shot is Alice Betto coz she had the 5th fastest run in Leeds, and that's usually her weakness, so I think she must be in the run shape of her life to go with her very solid swim and bike abilities --- the heat may play against her, like many of the others.

For the record, I also think Taylor Knibb has a podium shot, but this bookie doesn't list her among their 20 bettable women.

In the men's field, I'm less sure --- so I'm going to go with guys with longer odds.

I think Mislawchuk offers the best value in the heat, winner of the test event, and good recent race record --- some eth to win and top 3.

Van Riel has the swim, bike, run to have a good race, and small build to do well in the heat -- top 3 investment.

Vincent wasn't his usual impressive self in Yokohama but have to assume he'll be good for Tokyo -- top 3 investment.

For the Mixed Relay I'm just going to invest in my top 3 coz I don't have a standout fav - in no particular order:

France
UK
USA

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply

Prev Next