Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went through the standings, here is what it comes down to:

Hemming is 28th but it seems likely that Silva (29th) will pas shim. Royle (30th) will pass him with a good result (top 15) at Leeds. Lets just give that to Royle and then look at the rest.

31: Grajales: mathematically not possible. Even if Grajales wins his last race hemming noses him by a point.
32: Schilling is retired
33: Willian: not points races left
34: Fabian: would take a shocking result (podium) from someone who raced this weekend to a very middle of the mark result
35: Bishop - SEE BELOW
36 and on: no one with a chance

presuming Hemming gets passed by 29 and 30 only Bishop can knock out Hemming:

Leeds is a 1000 point race. A top 8 finish and Bishiop passes Hemming. A top 5 finish and Hemming will need to podium in Huatalco to retain his spot.

There certainly are 7+ athletes who are better than Bishop racing in Leeds. But Bishop has 2 big things going for him: He isn't going to have a domestique. He is going to have a personal peloton. GB is the host nation in Leeds there are 7 GB athletes on the start line. I mean shoot, you could have AB pulling Bishop to the first pack and JB and Yee working to slow the main pack down. I am telling you if Yee is running with Blu and Gomez for the win he will pull up lame. And then on the other side you have Belgium, France and the US. They DO NOT want GB to get 3 guys (US for obvious reason, the other two because of the relay implications). I don't know how deep the team tactics will go, but having 7 athletes on the home course fighting for one guy and a half dozen others working against a single guy... Wow!

The cool scenario is a 9th or 10th place finish for Bishop and the Huatalco race becomes a heads up match between Hemming and Bishop for the final spot. I suppose that is what I am rooting for.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

Hemming is 28th but it seems likely that Silva (29th) will pas shim. Royle (30th) will pass him with a good result (top 15) at Leeds. Lets just give that to Royle and then look at the rest.

31: Grajales: mathematically not possible. Even if Grajales wins his last race hemming noses him by a point.
34: Fabian: would take a shocking result (podium) from someone who raced this weekend to a very middle of the mark result

Leeds is a 1000 point race. A top 8 finish and Bishiop passes Hemming. A top 5 finish and Hemming will need to podium in Huatalco to retain his spot.

There certainly are 7+ athletes who are better than Bishop racing in Leeds. But Bishop has 2 big things going for him: He isn't going to have a domestique. He is going to have a personal peloton. GB is the host nation in Leeds there are 7 GB athletes on the start line. I mean shoot, you could have AB pulling Bishop to the first pack and JB and Yee working to slow the main pack down. I am telling you if Yee is running with Blu and Gomez for the win he will pull up lame. And then on the other side you have Belgium, France and the US. They DO NOT want GB to get 3 guys (US for obvious reason, the other two because of the relay implications). I don't know how deep the team tactics will go, but having 7 athletes on the home course fighting for one guy and a half dozen others working against a single guy... Wow!

The cool scenario is a 9th or 10th place finish for Bishop and the Huatalco race becomes a heads up match between Hemming and Bishop for the final spot. I suppose that is what I am rooting for.

The WTS ITU should pay you for the write up. I’m stoked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silvia and Royle both DNF'd Yokohama. Neither is certain to pass Eli in the rankings. I don't think Royle will be in the top half of the race in Leeds. Silvia is going to need to swim a LOT faster if he wants to contend.

If Eli gets to the finish line in Mexico without any mishaps, and races "ok" he'll secure the 3rd spot. Even if everyone else has the race of their lives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have nothing against Bishop, but have you seen the start list?? He is not the guy that made top 10s in a regular basis 3-4 years ago and there are so many good lads in this race i just cant see making top 10. IMO the 3rd spot is for US and the stuff is just between Alistair and Yee.... I am spanish and I used to hate both Brownlees when the thing was between them and Gomez, but come on, they are the spice of this

ajthomas wrote:

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Andymag84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no GTB? so my money on Flora. Then Coldwell and Spivey...or Spivey and Coldwell :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

Nice work. A few points on your research...
31 - I get the same math, Grajales misses Eli by 1.22 points, with 400 point win replacing 231.77 score. Same for you?
33 - Willian gets the Oceania Championship on June 6, (each region can get a continental championship to use that unfortunately, pandemic limited many nations from this opportunity, including the USA), so he is on the startlist which he can gain the most points for himself, including 400, which would replace his worst score of 114.90, which improves his score by 385.10 points, surpassing Eli by 146.17 points. Given that there are 27 other Aussies on that start list, and only 9 non-Aussies, I think your "personal peloton" scenario is even higher likelihood and bigger factor, in Oceania. (Royle not on Oceania start list).

So I am assuming Willian jumps Eli, as does Silva. If Bishop and Royle finish the season well, USA is in trouble for 3rd spot, and will need Eli to race very well in Huatulco.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
Silvia and Royle both DNF'd Yokohama. Neither is certain to pass Eli in the rankings. I don't think Royle will be in the top half of the race in Leeds. Silvia is going to need to swim a LOT faster if he wants to contend.

If Eli gets to the finish line in Mexico without any mishaps, and races "ok" he'll secure the 3rd spot. Even if everyone else has the race of their lives.

There are two things working against Hemming:

1. Your best 12 races count. So to score any more points, you have to replace your bottom score.
2. Leeds is a 1000 point race, Mexico is a 400 point race.

Hemmings 12th place score is 164, Royle 133 and Silva "0"

Silva needs a 40th to pass. Royle a 16th.

I kind of agree with you when it comes to questions about Silva's and Royle's fitness. Truth be told, I bet one of them does well and one doesn't. No idea which one, just playing the law of averages.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

Nice work. A few points on your research...
31 - I get the same math, Grajales misses Eli by 1.22 points, with 400 point win replacing 231.77 score. Same for you?
33 - Willian gets the Oceania Championship on June 6, (each region can get a continental championship to use that unfortunately, pandemic limited many nations from this opportunity, including the USA), so he is on the startlist which he can gain the most points for himself, including 400, which would replace his worst score of 114.90, which improves his score by 385.10 points, surpassing Eli by 146.17 points. Given that there are 27 other Aussies on that start list, and only 9 non-Aussies, I think your "personal peloton" scenario is even higher likelihood and bigger factor, in Oceania. (Royle not on Oceania start list).

So I am assuming Willian jumps Eli, as does Silva. If Bishop and Royle finish the season well, USA is in trouble for 3rd spot, and will need Eli to race very well in Huatulco.

good call on Willian. Hmmm, that is suspect. That race will almost for sure give him 400. I looked at it and assumed it wouldn't count for points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. I don't feel like both will pass Eli. Not because they can't, just because these races are hard and neither of them is in prime condition. But I do think one will pass him.

AUS throwing an entire race to get Willian those 400 points seems a stretch.
I know it makes sense for the federation, but telling an entire field to sandbag a race seems unreasonable.
Either way, he's good enough to get top 3 (or win) And I believe?? that is still enough to pass Eli.

McDowell is the only possible domestic for Eli in Mexico. (no offense to Hindman/Smith, but I don't think they would make a difference on the bike)
I wonder if that will come into play at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
I agree. I don't feel like both will pass Eli. Not because they can't, just because these races are hard and neither of them is in prime condition. But I do think one will pass him.

I know it makes sense for the federation, but telling an entire field to sandbag a race seems unreasonable.
Either way, he's good enough to get top 3 (or win) And I believe?? that is still enough to pass Eli.

McDowell is the only possible domestic for Eli in Mexico. (no offense to Hindman/Smith, but I don't think they would make a difference on the bike)

good move by william...but can any guy race there?...because in that case i would race there (speaking about Hemming or Grajales) better than Leeds...if it is no possible we have a big argument with the olympic qualification since covid....its happening with other sports, but in triathlon is a nightmare...

Last edited by: juanillo: Jun 1, 21 14:35
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you can get into Australia without a significant quarantine period.
And flights out/in are pretty sparse at the moment.

That said, it's much harder to qualify for Willian than any of the other guys we're talking about. He has one race with a max of 400 points on offer. The other guys have 5 races with 400-1000 points on offer.

It's not ideal, but I don't think the qualifying is unfair. No better solution that I can think of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
oprfcc wrote:

good move by william...but can any guy race there?...because in that case i would race there (speaking about Hemming or Grajales) better than Leeds...if it is no possible we have a big argument with the olympic qualification since covid....its happening with other sports, but in triathlon is a nightmare...

They can race there, but it won't count for points, since it is not their continental championships, so no value. Only those from that continent can use their championship to get Olympic ranking points. It's the only race outside of World Cups and WTS that can count. The fact Oceania and Asia were able to have their champs, really favors them in this situation for grabbing points. But the irony is Willian may just knock Royle out of the top 30, so nothing would be gained.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just heard that with the latest developments in the UK (COVID) Switzerland has made a 2-week quarantine from return from the UK mandatory.

As a result, Nicola (already qualified), Max Studer (virtually qualified) and Adrien Briffod (should be also virtually qualified all things equal, but was initially planning on doing Leeds) are not going to Leeds. Two weeks quarantine coming back only a month and a half before the games would be less than optimal for preparation.

Only the 4 who are still trying to produce results for consideration for the selection will be racing in Leeds (the two Salvisberg brothers, Sylvain Fridelance and Yolanda Annen who was 4th in Portugal and I think should be going to Tokyo if all things equal again).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
oprfcc wrote:

Continental championships are only points races for those from the continent. The points selection period has been over 2 seasons (with a hiatus) and only one conti champs from the 2 seasons can be used. Every continent has had theirs already, 2018 and 2019. Oceania and Asia are always 6 months behind due to the seasons meaning their second champs were cancelled in early 2020 . This would normally be held in March but needed to wait until borders were open to New Zealand also.

Aus won't need to throw a race for Willian to win, he has won this before as well as World cups in the Oceania zone. Don't know if he is fit and healthy though, that would be the underlying factor, that and Taylor Reid from NZ.
Last edited by: chrisb12: Jun 2, 21 3:23
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not even Sam Ward is racing...
I guess William should be fit enough as hes got chances for the olympics....otherwise when should he be fit??

Just wondering what is happening lately with aussies and kiwis when they dominated the sport in the 90s and early 00s: Stewart, Walton, Watson, Macca, Chris Hill, Carter, Robertson, Docherty, Gemmel....the only one that is actually in the mix is Wilde....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
I guess William should be fit enough as hes got chances for the olympics....otherwise when should he be fit??

Just wondering what is happening lately with aussies and kiwis when they dominated the sport in the 90s and early 00s: Stewart, Walton, Watson, Macca, Chris Hill, Carter, Robertson, Docherty, Gemmel....the only one that is actually in the mix is Wilde....

the 90's were 30 years ago and the 00's were 20 years ago. That is a lifetime ago from a sporting perspective.

Don't forget Jacob Birtwhistle who is ranked 8th in the world. Natalie Van Coevorden who is 25th. Ashleigh Gentle who is 29th (she is missing a race in the rankings and will move up when she races, probably ahead of Natalie). They pose a strong threat in the mixed relay.

New Zealand on the other hand does seem to have a shortage of ITU/WTS lads and ladies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
no GTB? so my money on Flora. Then Coldwell and Spivey...or Spivey and Coldwell :)

GTB was on the start list but lots of rumours about her and Learmouth being injured.

GTB posted over the winter she had multiple stress reactions.

BTF must be very concerned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:

Haven't heard anything of Sam Ward for a while. He hasn't posted on socials any training or actually anything at all since November. That is unusual and would mean something is not right in the sport for him. Have NZ selected their team and he not on it? Or a long term injury?

Umm Aus have Birtwhistle, the only guy to win 2 World series races in 2019, before the world shut down. Bringing his total to about 8 WTS podiums by the time he was 24, Made the series podium at 23. Of course with travel restrictions he was a no show for 2020. Ash Gentle has had numerous podiums also and been a series podium athlete. Emma Jackson had been injured for a while but had a win in 2019 on her return from injury. Royle has had a couple of podiums but a few years back. Vancoeverdon had a podium a couple years back. I don't think you can say that Aus has no one,
Last edited by: chrisb12: Jun 2, 21 6:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
I don't think you can get into Australia without a significant quarantine period.
And flights out/in are pretty sparse at the moment.

That said, it's much harder to qualify for Willian than any of the other guys we're talking about. He has one race with a max of 400 points on offer. The other guys have 5 races with 400-1000 points on offer.

It's not ideal, but I don't think the qualifying is unfair. No better solution that I can think of.

I am with you. Is this 400 point layup fair? Well, no. But it is less unfair than not having any opportunities. Truth is though, when I was looking at the standings yesterday and saw that race for WIllian my initial thought was "well there is no way this can count for points," because the race is, plainly, ridiculous. Half the field is nothing more than really good age groupers. (related note: I went to Royle's IG account just to make sure he isn't making a last minute trip back home!)

So here is how this works:

Willian is at 3545.6 points. He will get 400 = 3945.6 but then drops 114.9 from Tongyeong. He'll end up with 3830.7

EH will need a 9th to stay ahead of him. Grajales will need to win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is who I think will/should/possible beat Eli Hemming.

Aaron Royle
Joao Silva
Javier Gomez Noya
Kevin McDowell
Tamas Toth
Matthew Sharpe
Thomas Bishop
Tyler Mislawchuk
Irving Perez
Crisanto Grajales
Gordon Benson

It's gonna be close!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alright, if for you Birtwhistle and Wilde, Gentle and Van Coevorden can be compared to this...

ITU POINT LIST 2002 top 30 MALES
1.Bennet AUS
4.Hill AUS
5.Robertson AUS
7.Carter NZL
8. Docherty NZL
11.Watson NZL
12.Stewart AUS
13.Gemmel NZL
17. Reed S. NZL
28.Atkinson AUS
29. Reed M. NZL
30. Quirck AUS

ITU POINT LIST 2002 top 30 FEMALES
3. Harrop AUS
4.Jones AUS
6.Hackett AUS
14.Blatchford AUS
21.Ashton AUS

Triathlon is globalized but something, specially in australia has not been done well...because they have passed from this plus Khalefeldt, Snowsill, Moffatt...to just Gentle and Birtwhistle....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good list save one: Kevin McDowell will step off the course before he beats EH in this race if the points really matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
juanillo wrote:

Haven't heard anything of Sam Ward for a while. He hasn't posted on socials any training or actually anything at all since November. That is unusual and would mean something is not right in the sport for him. Have NZ selected their team and he not on it? Or a long term injury?

Umm Aus have Birtwhistle, the only guy to win 2 World series races in 2019, before the world shut down. Bringing his total to about 8 WTS podiums by the time he was 24, Made the series podium at 23. Of course with travel restrictions he was a no show for 2020. Ash Gentle has had numerous podiums also and been a series podium athlete. Emma Jackson had been injured for a while but had a win in 2019 on her return from injury. Royle has had a couple of podiums but a few years back. Vancoeverdon had a podium a couple years back. I don't think you can say that Aus has no one,

I recall reading something that tayler reid was selected and Sam ward was taking court action? I’m a nzer and that was sometime ago and haven’t heard anything since.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Chewie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
alright, if for you Birtwhistle and Wilde, Gentle and Van Coevorden can be compared to this...

ITU POINT LIST 2002 top 30 MALES
1.Bennet AUS
4.Hill AUS
5.Robertson AUS
7.Carter NZL
8. Docherty NZL
11.Watson NZL
12.Stewart AUS
13.Gemmel NZL
17. Reed S. NZL
28.Atkinson AUS
29. Reed M. NZL
30. Quirck AUS

ITU POINT LIST 2002 top 30 FEMALES
3. Harrop AUS
4.Jones AUS
6.Hackett AUS
14.Blatchford AUS
21.Ashton AUS

Triathlon is globalized but something, specially in australia has not been done well...because they have passed from this plus Khalefeldt, Snowsill, Moffatt...to just Gentle and Birtwhistle....

Definately triathlon is now globalised, many more countries compete and throw money at the sport. Back in the times you were referring to there just wasn't the same competition from other countries there is now. That being the case it is much harder for athletes to be in the prize money . It is a long way meaning $$ to get to races so the athletes need to base overseas for most of the season.. More $$ and away from jobs and family/friends. Also with this comes visa restriction issues. This is way tougher to get around than it used to be. In my opinion not enough Aus athletes travel to races frequently enough to be in the top rankings, but this is also due to funding and coaches not encouraging. Aus has not many top HP coaches as they don't want to spend 5 months overseas with their athletes either. This is a very big deal, and really effected our Olympic points standing, private coaches didn't have their athletes racing enough. Also with only 5 allowed per country to race it makes it hard to break into that top 5. Then there were retirements throughout this olympic cycle. Athletes given the race starts earlier have retired before Olympic cycle closes, that really effects rankings.
Here's hoping with Joel Filiol now HP coach he can push the other coaches to get their athletes up there. It might take a while as our borders are still closed, at least until the end of this year. This is really tough on athletes, if they manage to get govt permission to leave getting home is near impossible with very restricted numbers allowed back in, can't just come home when want to and flights are crazy expensive. 14 day hotel quarantine is mandatory.
Last edited by: chrisb12: Jun 2, 21 15:35
Quote Reply

Prev Next