Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]

David_Tris wrote:
I can guarantee you that there is no "iron distance" event in Montgomery, AL in late September for her to do. Someone with lots of time on their hands should try to cross reference these cities with some major fitness center chain, that will soon appear as a donor to her cause. A chain with a pool in every town.
Personally, the thought of doing 4,225 yards in a pool every day for 50 days would be a deal breaker!

There are at least 2 YMCAs with indoor 25-yd pools in Montgomery where she could do her swim. If you think doing 4225 yd in a pool every day would be a "deal-breaker", well, you have obviously never swum on a team. Hell, I've averaged 50,000 yd/wk for 2 years straight, and swam about 362-363 days/yr. That's about 7200 yd/day almost every day of the year, and ALL of it was in a pool. We did swim about 8 months of the year outdoors though, so every swim was not in the exact same pool. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RBR] [ In reply to ]

RBR wrote:
redbicycle wrote:
The schedule only includes 48 events.

I think she is doing one in Hati at the beginning and another at the end?

No way she can do a full iron in Haiti the day prior to starting the second in Virginia Beach on the 15th - unless she has access to private aviation. My guess is she's ------ not doing a full event in Haiti (and could thus finish in time to leave on last commercial flight in the afternoon), or she's not doing #1 & #2 on consecutive days, or she's bagged the Haiti events completely.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]

My point exactly, she's never swum on a team for years either. And it's generally dammed difficult to find a time that a YMCA has setup for lap swim during the day. Lots of time for bouncing classes, lots of times for noodle-paddlers, but very few hours each day for pure lap swimming.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Route66] [ In reply to ]

Route66 wrote:
CU427 wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:
She released her schedule on instagram. She also mentions she’s looking for an RV and a dedicated driver. Maybe it’s just me but it seems like you should have these things lined up more than a month in advance.

August
15th Virginia Beach, VA
16th Salisbury MD
17th Harrington DE
18th East Brunswick NJ
19th Clinton CT
20th Warwick RI
21st Plainville MA
22nd Portsmouth NH
23rd York ME
24th West Brattleboro VT
25th Albany, NY
26th Allentown, PA
27th Morganton, WV
28th Lexington KY
29th Cincy OH
30th Indianapolis IN
31st Kalamazoo MI
September
1st Chicago, ILL
2nd Madison WIS
3rd Rochester MIN
4th Des Moines IOWA
5th North KC, MO
6th Salina KS
7th North Platte, NE
8th Pierre, SD
9th Bismarck ND
10th billings MT
11th Jackson WYO
12th Boise ID
13th Kennewick WA
14th Klamath Falls OR
15th Fresno CA
16th LAsVegas NV (Olympia)
17th Flagstaff AR
18th Bluff, UT
19th Trinidad, CO
20th Santa Fe, NM
21st Armarillo, TX
22nd Tulsa, OK
23rd Little Rock, AR
24th Memphis, TN
25th Monroe, LA
26th Jackson, MS
27th Montgomery AL
28th ATLANTA, GA
29th Charlotte, NC
30th Columbia, SC
October
1st Jacksonville, FL

Well WTF she isn't going to HI or AK? This is such BS and a slap in the face to both states.

Why would anyone do an Ironman in Hawaii of all places? That sounds like a dumb idea.

I've been to Hawaii once, it was awesome and I want to go back. That said whenever I go back the last thing I want to do is spend a full day doing an Ironman along with all the travel annoyances that come along with it.

Plenty of other amazing things to do and still experience everything that is Hawaii that you really cannot do in the other 49.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]

MadTownTRI wrote:
I see Santa Fe and Flagstaff on the list... both at 7,000 ft+... isn't she coming from sea level?

I go to Flag from Phoenix all the time for long training days. Sometimes the altitude hits me like a ton of bricks right out of the gate, sometimes it is a non-factor and I don't even notice it from a respiratory perspective.

One thing it does do every time is make me very dehydrated if the sun is out. You have to drink so much more and wear plenty of sun block there. If she doesn't know this and take precautions, she is at risk of having a very long day. They also just freshly chipsealed Lake Mary Road, where I suspect she is planning to go - my taint was completely destroyed after a 90 mile ride recently.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]

Pun_Times wrote:
She released her schedule on instagram. She also mentions she’s looking for an RV and a dedicated driver. Maybe it’s just me but it seems like you should have these things lined up more than a month in advance.

August
15th Virginia Beach, VA
16th Salisbury MD
17th Harrington DE
18th East Brunswick NJ
19th Clinton CT
20th Warwick RI
21st Plainville MA
22nd Portsmouth NH
23rd York ME
24th West Brattleboro VT
25th Albany, NY
26th Allentown, PA
27th Morganton, WV
28th Lexington KY
29th Cincy OH
30th Indianapolis IN
31st Kalamazoo MI
September
1st Chicago, ILL
2nd Madison WIS
3rd Rochester MIN
4th Des Moines IOWA
5th North KC, MO
6th Salina KS
7th North Platte, NE
8th Pierre, SD
9th Bismarck ND
10th billings MT
11th Jackson WYO
12th Boise ID
13th Kennewick WA
14th Klamath Falls OR
15th Fresno CA
16th LAsVegas NV (Olympia)
17th Flagstaff AR
18th Bluff, UT
19th Trinidad, CO
20th Santa Fe, NM
21st Armarillo, TX
22nd Tulsa, OK
23rd Little Rock, AR
24th Memphis, TN
25th Monroe, LA
26th Jackson, MS
27th Montgomery AL
28th ATLANTA, GA
29th Charlotte, NC
30th Columbia, SC
October
1st Jacksonville, FL

Will have to look to see how this matches up to Iron Cowboy's routing. I see a few same cities

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [redbicycle] [ In reply to ]

The schedule only includes 48 events.

But her definition of 50 is really 48 so who are you to question it?

P.S - did you know she is raising money for orphans...

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

So am I correct that she is not doing a single Ironman sanctioned race?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]

Why would that matter? Did she ever say there was going to be sanctioned races? I fail to see the point of your question.
Last edited by: Ralph20: Jul 18, 18 14:12

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]

I think this may have already been discussed earlier in the thread, but my new prediction is that she doesn't do even close to 140.6 miles per day and just posts pictures and no strava files, or for that matter claimed distances. Just instragram photos labelled "today's bike", "todays run" etc. She'll define "Ironman" as a really long SBR of her choosing every day and make it a lot farther than we think, possible through 50. When questioned she'll give vague answers about distance along the lines of "some days I likely go a bit longer and others are a bit shorter, but regardless it's always a really huge effort!" ST'ers heads will explode as she picks up steam and it's clear she isn't doing anything close to the full distances.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]

sebo2000 wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:

wow she has 593.000 followers are people stupid or man dig chicks with tattoos? or those followers are Russian bots from instalike

I followed her just to see this train wreck unfold.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [lschaan] [ In reply to ]

So much for the benefit of the doubt or supporting a fellow athlete. Good to know what kind of people populate this forum. And by that..l mean losers. People that throw shade while having no clue of what is happening, or going to happen for that matter, are people that can never be winners. Because you are so busy expending your energy on tearing down other people that you can't focus on anything worthwhile.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]

This thread is finally starting to get good.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]

TriguyBlue wrote:
sebo2000 wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:

wow she has 593.000 followers are people stupid or man dig chicks with tattoos? or those followers are Russian bots from instalike

I followed her just to see this train wreck unfold.

I'm in the 10% that like her tattoos

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]

Thank you for making me laugh so hard!.
You just accuse people of tearing others down while calling them losers.I love it.

Ralph20 wrote:
So much for the benefit of the doubt or supporting a fellow athlete. Good to know what kind of people populate this forum. And by that..l mean losers. People that throw shade while having no clue of what is happening, or going to happen for that matter, are people that can never be winners. Because you are so busy expending your energy on tearing down other people that you can't focus on anything worthwhile.

So youre picking day 5 for her to DNF?

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]

Fishbum wrote:
You just accuse people of tearing others down while calling them losers.I love it.

That post was so hypocritical I thought it was satire.

Ralph20 wrote:
So much for the benefit of the doubt or supporting a fellow athlete.

I can kind of understand where you are coming from, but the thing is, she’s done nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt. She has never even done a single iron distance race, and now she is attempting 50 in as many days. She also has no appreciable background in endurance sports (ie not a college swimmer, pro bike racer, or multiple marathoner or ultra marathoner). If iron cowboy (who had a significant background in long distance tri) wasn’t able to complete the challenge without the help of an elliptical, than what would lead us to believe she can?

She is know doubt a fit individual and her fitness is well rounded, but being strong and fit isn’t the same as being able to tackle 16+ hours of exercise a day for 50 days. It blows my mind that she even thinks she has a chance. I’ve looked at her Strava and she’s been doing some decent rides (100 miles with some climbing). She’s averaging 18 mph, but she’s also taking 2 hours worth of breaks on those rides. It’s going to be a problem of time sooner or later. Sure trudging our an 18 hour IM may not be that difficult to do. But that leaves her very little time for recovery. Not to mention travel as some of her planned places on the west side are 6 hours apart.

I just don’t see how anyone in their right mind who has knowledge of ironman/endurance sports thinks she has a legitimate shot.

Matt

Ralph20 wrote:

LOL. You realize one of the biggest (rightfully so) shade throwers is a former pro who won something along the lines of a gazillion triathlons in his career right?
Last edited by: lschaan: Jul 18, 18 16:46

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]

sebo2000 wrote:

She's pretty hot.

So no one is talking about her coach Alex Viada in this? The Hybrid-Strength guy? Dude's an absolute unit. With what he knows about strength and tri, he was putting up some heavy power lifting loads as an active Ironman AGer, I'm surprised he's "cool" with this.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

Fishbum wrote:

😂

Thank you for making this thread worthwhile.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

An interesting interview with her coach : https://barbend.com/alex-viada-hybrid-training-interview/

"well-known for doing what a lot of old school coaches don’t think is possible, like deadlifting 700 pounds within a week of running a 50-mile ultramarathon"

"elite as both a powerlifter and an endurance athlete"

"you can build an athlete who is powerful and a great sprinter and has great endurance and has an awesome snatch"

" Strength and endurance is just one subset of our athlete population. The whole idea is being able to develop every dimension of athleticism kind of simultaneously"

"for serious runners, out of fifteen hours of training a week let’s just take an hour and a half from your running and put them toward strength training. This is gonna help you return from races faster and hopefully prevent injuries, so even though we’re taking ten percent of your time, hopefully we’re going to keep your injury- and fatigue-related off days to a minimum because of this."

"The other thing is to actually learn how to run and how to move and how to row. So many of these individuals, even at the Games level, are horrendous, horrendous runners. And the ones who have actually taken running and rowing and everything else seriously, they use those portions of competition to just relax and really blow away everyone else out there who is competing."

"My biggest diet tip is, whatever your diet is, maximize the variety of food. And you’re not gonna gain weight if you’re doing (our training) properly because you’re doing so much work. (laughs) So don’t worry about that"

So no one is talking about her coach Alex Viada in this? The Hybrid-Strength guy? Dude's an absolute unit. With what he knows about strength and tri, he was putting up some heavy power lifting loads as an active Ironman AGer, I'm surprised he's "cool" with this.[/quote]

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

I am going to ride a uni-cycle from New York to Los Angeles non-stop while juggling 5 chainsaws to raise money for Chinese bears forced to ride uni-cycles in Chinese circuses.

If you say anything against my effort you are a horrible person and indicative of everything that is wrong with this forum and the world in general.

Oh and it says more about you than it does about me.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]

Impress! Hope she'll do it!

Prev Next