Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]

I wish her well but with the civil unrest in Haiti and I do not see her completing day one. If she does manage that then travelling to IM#2 (presumably in Florida as it is closest to Haiti) I do not see completing that.

My vote: none.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]

Day 1. At least one of the 3 disciplines will be short but she will not acknowledge it and keep on going.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sean H] [ In reply to ]

Based on how little media attention this is getting and the fact she isn't really pushing this through her social media or her website it makes me wonder. Who is making a bigger deal out of this ST or Ashley?

Has anyone her reached out to ask her to post her files daily to prove that she is complying to the ST standards?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CU427] [ In reply to ]

That's a good point. She probably won't even have or show proof that she completed 140.6

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CU427] [ In reply to ]

CU427 wrote:
Based on how little media attention this is getting and the fact she isn't really pushing this through her social media or her website it makes me wonder. Who is making a bigger deal out of this ST or Ashley?

Has anyone her reached out to ask her to post her files daily to prove that she is complying to the ST standards?

It's not about slow-twitch standards she is the one who claimed that she's going to do 50 IronMan's in 50 days. The second you attached IronMan the standard it set. So technically she set the standards.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]

Fishbum wrote:
CU427 wrote:

It's not about slow-twitch standards she is the one who claimed that she's going to do 50 IronMan's in 50 days. The second you attached IronMan the standard it set. So technically she set the standards.

Well I guess if you want to get technical she said she was going to complete 50 full-distance triathlons, I don't think she mentioned Ironman. She also didn't specify if she would use a spin bike or a treadmill. If she goes that route can she not claim she did a full-distance triathlon?

I only ask as Tim Don did it once, ran on a treadmill, rode a trainer and through he didn't do it for "publicity" he did acknowledge that he completed a full-distance triathlon. But with Tim he claimed it as an Ironman as well, which by the way I have read this thread is NOT an ironman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XQuvGRjnro

If you are claiming a full distance Triathlon even someone not involved in the sport with a assume IronMan so we may be splitting hairs.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]

I was more talking about the point that Tim did his on a trainer and treadmill and claimed he completed the distance. On ST through this thread it seems that is not sufficient, so Tim is claiming something he didn't really do according to ST. Ashley might using this method and claim she did it (even just one day) when in fact she did not complete it correctly.

I don't really care I just want to see come consistency in the commentary of what can be claimed and Ironman and what cannot and if both parties are guilty they should be recognized as such.

Agree.

It has more to do with her trying to do something never done before. Thats why theres a lot more scrutiny. If Tim had tried to claim a 6:59 for an ironman while running on a treadmill and biking on a trainer you can bet people would be up in arms. If she decided to do 10 ironmans nobody would really care how she did it as its been done a lot of times before.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Jul 12, 18 18:08

Well I guess if you want to get technical she said she was going to complete 50 full-distance triathlons,

So what is a full-distance triathlon if not an Ironman?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

She clearly says full distance ironman

Its in the flrst 30 secs of the video

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Jacksyee] [ In reply to ]

She clearly says full distance ironman

Its in the flrst 30 secs of the video

Yes I agree but the poster I responded to implied that since she didn't say Ironman and that technically it could be any distance. However, I think it's very clear that her plan was to do 50 Ironman triathlons in 50 days and there is no wiggle room. Even if she didn't say "Ironman", she did say "full-distance triathlon" so I was wondering what that means if it doesn't mean an Ironman. I think the implication is clear and it takes some clever twisting to say otherwise.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Not to be pedantic but she says "full distance ironman" not "full distance triathlon"

I.e. She did say ironman. Its not in dispute?
Last edited by: Jacksyee: Jul 13, 18 0:53

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Jacksyee] [ In reply to ]

Not to be pedantic but she says "full distance ironman" not "full distance triathlon"

I'm not sure what the dispute is about. She has said numerous times that she is going to try 50 Ironman Triathlons and I was initially responding to a post that seemed to suggest she didn't really say Ironman Triathlon. She said full distance ironman which to me means an Ironman triathlon (ie. 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 mile run). There is no other ironman and she can call it a full distance or a non-full distance or anything else but an Ironman is an Ironman.

There are almost 350 posts here and a lot of those relate to how far she will race each day and I have no idea why when an Ironman triathlon is pretty self explanatory.

Jacksyee wrote:

"Full distance Ironman" is redundant.

CU427 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
CU427 wrote:

Well I guess if you want to get technical she said she was going to complete 50 full-distance triathlons, I don't think she mentioned Ironman. She also didn't specify if she would use a spin bike or a treadmill. If she goes that route can she not claim she did a full-distance triathlon?

I only ask as Tim Don did it once, ran on a treadmill, rode a trainer and through he didn't do it for "publicity" he did acknowledge that he completed a full-distance triathlon. But with Tim he claimed it as an Ironman as well, which by the way I have read this thread is NOT an ironman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XQuvGRjnro

She was quite explicit about what she is setting out to do and uses the term Ironman in both the title screen of the video and the text of her statement:

"50 Ironman Triathlons in 50 days... in 48 states with 2 of them being right in Hinche, Haiti totaling to 50 full distance ironman tris. Starting August 8th, 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike 26.2 mile run. There is not a doubt in my mind and I will achieve this... I’ve been preparing for quite a while- physically and mentally and the time has come. #AshletesAcrossAmerica. My heart is in Haiti, inside the gates of @maisonfortune with the children I love like my own. With a goal of raising 100,000 for the boys and girls education. To give them opportunities by way of education and learning to enhance the beautiful talents that already exists within. This is my mission. For every single child at Maison Fortune Orphanage- thank you @usatoday for dropping this story today. #AshleyRunsHaiti
@alex.viada my friend, mentor and coach 💪🇭🇹 @aaarinator 💕💯"

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook

Jacksyee wrote:

So not ironman UK? :')

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]

Twinkie wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Alright, I'm going to go with "doesn't do the full distance" probably on day 1, but for sure within the first 3 days. She's going to "finish" all of those days, but at least one leg will be bogus and not the full distance somehow but she will ignore it and move on.

I will update the list in the mornings...
You have to pick a day though. one day.

Twinkie: 3
Sean H: ?

I picked day 3 earlier in the thread. I am sure there will be an excuse based on some external factor. Chased by goose. Bee stings etc.

It is an impossibility that she will ever just say "that was way too hard and I never stood a chance".

WTC seems to think any random distance can be sold as an Ironman, so who are we to judge?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]

Ok me prediction:

She will do 50, but it might be slightly more than 50 days. The rules will be loose. She may go long on time, she may use a treadmill or elliptical, she might take a day or two off because of logistics. But she will complete. And it will satisfy nobody on ST.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]

Soooooo you're saying she will fail just like the rest of us?

Define failure.

If she does as I said, or makes a good effort and raises a bunch of money for some orphans I think that should be defined as success.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)

CU427 wrote:

She's on Strava, she wasn't when she allegedly ran across Haiti though. I also wouldn't be surprised to see her come up with an excuse as to why she doesn't upload this attempt on there.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]

No one's disputing that raising money for Orphans is a bad thing. However failure defined as fallen short of one's goals which she said she's going to do 50 Ironmans in 50 days shortening each event not completing the event within the allotted time or any other variation of 140. 6 Mi is failure.

Prev Next