Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [lschaan] [ In reply to ]

I thought his logistics were pretty spot on. He also did a very smart thing in getting public’s participation during his activities. I think the last 40 or so runs turned into “community 5ks”.

This is a near impossible event to do legitly. IC while fudging a few of the days did about as good as can happen honestly.

This girl has no shot of getting even 5 done, and I wonder what happens to her motivation/drive/story when “oops” she doesn’t run one day. I assume she’ll continue the tour regardless of actual physical ability status if this is for the charity.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]

Her risk of major GI distress due to having to consume the amount of calories and sheer volume of food required for this will probably do her in pretty quick. I don't take her as the type of person whose body can handle the junk we all eat during an IM.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]

I agree the logistics are a nightmare. Just watched the video and her two attempts in Haiti will be in Hinche which is not an easy place to access - ie no international flights, so she will have a 3-4 hour drive to an international airport and the latest flight to the US is around 6 or 7pm to Miami. Then you have customs and such. Not to mention tearing down a bike and setting it back up. Unless she plans on a second bike in Haiti?

Anyway, I've been through Hinche several times - it is scary on the roads in a vehicle, can't imagine on a bike. Also, few paved roads so it will be slow going if she is using a mountain bike there?

On the other hand I can see how the 48 states would be achievable for someone seriously capable of such an endeavor with careful planning. They could theoretically cut out close to 6500 miles of drive time by biking and running on the path to the next states swim location. But given she can't bike on interstates or major highways likely the number will be much lower.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [wjoiner] [ In reply to ]

She’s on Strava.....

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [lschaan] [ In reply to ]

lschaan wrote:
My guess is 10-15,....but with a HUGE amount of modifications. There will be logistic issues which force a missed day after 2 or 3. She'll plod along shooting for 50 in 51 or something like that. Then the events will get progressively lamer. Biking on trainer with no resistance, using treadmills, then ellipticals, then substituting rowing for the run, etc. I actually wonder if a top tier pro could do 50 legitimate 140.6's in 50 different states in a row with the bike and run being outdoors. That's a LOT of travel time and logistics.... Not to mention the running!

How many consecutive 140.6s do the peanut gallery think they could do assuming travel to another state afterwards? My guess for myself is 4 but I may be completely delusional with even that. (exactly 1 140.6 experience,..11:45)

This just made my ass pucker. I already note the increased pressure on my saddle from the decreased amount of power output. I can't fathom being on a bike saddle for 4+ h w/o any resistance under my feet.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]

IntenseOne wrote:
satanellus wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
Things to consider-

- accumulation of sleep deprivation- she would need at least 9-10 hours a day of quality sleep to support this. Her plan is for less than 6 in a moving RV
- Nutrition- it will be impossible to absorb enough calories during the proposed IM’s, and there is no time planned to properly take in the deficit on a day to day basis
- hematocrit- her hematocrit level will start a massive nose dive after 5 or 6 days (if she even makes it that far. And then there are the cascading problems of other physiological breakdowns that will be ocuuring
- logistics- just driving to all 48 states in 48 days would be a tough go! I have not mapped it out, but 1 would guess north of 20,000 miles of driving, so considering traffic, gasoline stops, probable maintenance needs.... at least an average of 10 hours a day for transport, which now leaves less than 14 hours on average for each IM
- So even with world class fitness, this appears to be an impossible effort. The physical toll would be more exponential than linear, as there is simply not enough time for proper nutrition and recovery, even for the Cam Wurf example.
- this is essentially like someone saying they have mentally prepared to run a legitimate sub 2 hour marathon....GOOD LUCK!

I don't think for a moment she had the experience, knowledge or training to do this, but I do think 50 IM in 50 days is eminently achievable for a suitably trained and experienced athlete.

The reason why a sub 2 hour marathon hasn't been achieved is that it's as yet outside the bounds of human potential and technology. Though as we saw last year, it's closer than many of us thought.

The only reason 50 IM in 50 days hasn't been done, is that there's insufficient financial or athletic lure for a decent number of athletes to have a crack at it. If there was an annual race with a viable prize money, we would see a proportion of athletes finishing it every year.

As for sleep deprivation, we see runners completing the Sri Chinmoy 1300 Miler each year on less than 6 hours per day.

Nutrition is relatively easy compared to running. It is far easier to consume calories on the bike than while running.

Haematocrit levels will take a beating, but that's the nature of multi-day endurance and it's hardly a show-stopper. It is "only" 26 miles of running a day. Running knocks about haematocrit levels through heel-strike haemolysis in a way that cycling and swimming do not.

I agree logistics are another matter. Anyone doing this needs an superbly efficient support crew behind them. The athlete shouldn't be the one to run the show. They need to think about one thing only and let the crew take care of all else.

- I think your 1300 Mile Run effort, while impressive, is not remotely in the same ball park. I cannot think of any examples of any athlete successfully completing 50 consecutive days of 12 hours plus of high aerobic level work, which include 4 hours ish of running. Doing 50 consecutive days is not twice as hard as doing 25, it is more likely 4x as hard, and compared to a deca, it is probably at least 10x

Question: not just for you but for the thread in general. What if she's a reasonable swimmer? What if she covers the distances as 75 min swim, 6 h bike and walks the marathon? I agree that all that running would beat a person down, but what about all that walking??? If she never intends to run, it adds to completion time but reduces breakdown. And, since it's not an actual race - what about a recumbent bike with a fairing? Higher speeds possible and a break from the normal biking position.

Just food for thought. Carry on.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]

I don’t care if she’s Phelps in the water and a drugged up lance on the bike. The cumulative breakdown of 26 miles daily is too much for that many days in a row. Also walking isn’t necessarily easier. Mentally and physically.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]

Grant.Reuter wrote:
I don’t care if she’s Phelps in the water and a drugged up lance on the bike. The cumulative breakdown of 26 miles daily is too much for that many days in a row. Also walking isn’t necessarily easier. Mentally and physically.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not in the "she can totally do this camp" (don't believe there's been one of those formed yet anyway). I'm just trying to think outside the box. You and I and the rest of the forum define triathlon, "ironman", in a certain way. But she's not a triathlete. She may not define any of this as we do. So with some alternate ways of thinking about it, it could potentially change the # she could execute before falling apart.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [monty] [ In reply to ]

monty wrote:
Sooo... Why hasn't anyone on ST taken on the challenge? //

Because it would be really, really hard?? I think the reason she is catching so much shit about this here and elsewhere with athletes, is because she is mocking what we do. She shows no respect, has no real credentials to even think she could do 1/10 of this endeavor. It just feels like a slap in the face. IT would be like saying all I would have to do is drive around a racetrack in a race car for a couple months, then I could hang in the Daytona 500. She somehow thinks a 12 hour first ironman is the low bar for her, we know it would be more like the pinnacle of several years of training, and then one big great race. It really is about respect, she is showing none whatsoever towards our sport, so she is getting like in return...

As to who could actually do this kind of thing, it would have to be an ironman pro of some sort, the kind that does big miles usually. Probably a guy like Peter Vabrosek, or similar person that has shown huge capabilities in recovery, and not getting injured. Really just a handful of people in the entire world that could accomplish something like this, legitimately.

I think one of the retired or self employed desk job folk can do it. Obviously sand bag it, don't shoot for 9 hour times..

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]

That 3100 mile race is 52 days, so just under 60 miles per day of running. Record finishing time is 47 days, so even more per day. I've never done anything longer than a marathon running-wise, but I would think that an Ironman a day would be easier because it is "only" 26 miles of running.

--Chris

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [monty] [ In reply to ]

Just going to leave this link here: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludovic_Chorgnon

...and this guy did not have the state-to-state logistical issue.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Koz] [ In reply to ]

At work there's a cross fit guy... One of his favorite jokes when we propose anything (mountainbiking, supping, tree climbing, kiting...) is "oh I'm really great at that! ..... Ive never tried it, but I know its something I'd be good at"

I read she's got 5000 Instagram followers .. for no logical reason, it made me think of that forest gump scene

Last edited by: lacticturkey: Jul 6, 18 13:39

B_Doughtie wrote:
I thought his logistics were pretty spot on. He also did a very smart thing in getting public’s participation during his activities. I think the last 40 or so runs turned into “community 5ks”.

Yeah, He'd fly to places when the van was too slow and would have the backup bike waiting for him when he landed. If you have two setups, you could have the other driving to New Mexico while you're running in Arizona and then fly in and meet it in the morning. Expensive...but no problem. A 15 hour ironman gives your support crew a lot of driving time!

I don't know if he did the 5k thing throughout the whole 50, but early on, he came through Oregon and I did the 5k. Simply, he would run 23ish miles, loop around back to the van, grab the crowd and finish the marathon. It was cool. I ran with a middle school kid who had never done a 5k and chatted up his logistics guy for awhile. Too bad he inevitably fell apart, but at least the planning was smart.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Koz] [ In reply to ]

Koz wrote:
Just going to leave this link here:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludovic_Chorgnon

...and this guy did not have the state-to-state logistical issue.

http://www.defi41.com/levenement/les-resultats

He only went over 14 hours on two of the 41 too! That's pretty incredible.

I've been thinking some more about this, and I suspect that one of the underrated complications will be the heat in the southern states for her first few attempts. Does anyone know which direction she's going to be traveling? If she goes Florida-> Georgia->South Carolina, it might feel so good to get into the relatively temperate climate of North Carolina that she pulls off another 2 of them... but I'd still bet against more than 6 or 7 real ones.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [DJRed] [ In reply to ]

Put me down for the under.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [satanellus] [ In reply to ]

satanellus wrote:
rjrankin wrote:
She allegedly did a 230 mile run through Haiti earlier, although there was zero tracking at all. Her cause is admirable. She raises a ton of money for Haitian orphanages, but I think she's about as likely to finish this as I believe she finished the run.

The legitimacy and credibility of any solo run relies on verification and, to a certain extent, the reputation and record of the athlete involved.

As best as I can see, this run comes up short with those criteria, although I'm happy to be corrected.

The only competitive result I've seen for Ashley (assuming it's the same person) is a 13:26 BOP finish at the Bel Monte 50 Mile in 2015.

That result alone doesn't indicate an athlete capable or suitably experienced to knock out 230 miles in 72 hours in temperatures in the mid to high 80s.

Not everyone does this stuff in competition to have a valid result. Plus we all know courses these days are notoriously short.

Perhaps she has done a lot away from competitive races to prepare herself?

She has a deep background in fitness and consistent training daily. I think people need to look beyond what her athlinks says and actually view her as an athlete. She has a credible resume of athletics. You don't need to be a seasoned Ironman veteran with an long list of internet results to be able to be fit. I think many on the internet community miss this.

But that's just me, it seems triathletes get really irritated when non-triathletes come into their playground and aim to do something great.

The off-putting reception of triathletes on hear lets me know why more and more people dislike triathletes and are leaving the sport for other ventures.

Will she complete all of it? Doubtful, but I bet she will do better then 99% of the ST community ever could.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]

Grant.Reuter wrote:
The cumulative breakdown of 26 miles daily is too much for that many days in a row. Also walking isn’t necessarily easier. Mentally and physically.

https://deadspin.com/...ts-on-the-1455987210

Quote:
During a marathon, the body undergoes significant changes to cope with the metabolic and physiological demands of running for such a long time. These include increases in the rate and depth of breathing, increasing the amount of blood that's pumped by the heart, redistribution of blood flow away from internal organs and toward muscle tissue, and changes to the circulating concentrations of various hormones. Crucial electrolytes—potassium, magnesium—may be severely disturbed during the event and in some cases, the abnormalities will be considered life-threatening.

Marathon runners routinely release molecules from the liver, heart, and skeletal muscles into the bloodstream that are usually only seen in patients with diseased organs; from a biochemical perspective, many of the participants will resemble a corpse.

Perhaps the most alarming molecule that slips into the bloodstream during a race is something called the cardiac troponin enzyme. The troponin molecule should be found in the blood in very low levels; any elevation can initially be cause for concern, and may herald the onset of a heart attack. The tricky part is knowing when the troponin is just a transient finding, one that will go away with some rest and stuffing your face with Key Lime Pie and Doritos.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]

LifeTri wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
RBR wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
She will complete it. No doubt.
Care to wager. Lol
Yeah I want in on this. I just don't see it happening.
Same offer I gave to RBR.
Loser swims a 10k.

I'm in. There is a 10k OWS not too far from me just in case, but that falls in the middle of the challenge *__* ... So far we have confirmed bets on the challenge:

Success:
Life Tri

Failure:
RBR
Fishbum
P McCatty

Official rules.
Ceiling: Legit 50 x 140.6 on 24h outdoors.
Floor: IC modifications (Treadmill, Trainer, Pool, etc), but at the very least, 50 consecutive days covering the distance.

I would propose that instead of a HARD 50 Success/Failure bet, that we CALL the failure point & the losers swim 10k. So if I call at 5 & she goes 6, I have to swim 10k. How does that sound?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CU427] [ In reply to ]

CU427 wrote:
Not everyone does this stuff in competition to have a valid result. Plus we all know courses these days are notoriously short.

Perhaps she has done a lot away from competitive races to prepare herself?

She has a deep background in fitness and consistent training daily. I think people need to look beyond what her athlinks says and actually view her as an athlete. She has a credible resume of athletics. You don't need to be a seasoned Ironman veteran with an long list of internet results to be able to be fit. I think many on the internet community miss this.

But that's just me, it seems triathletes get really irritated when non-triathletes come into their playground and aim to do something great.

The off-putting reception of triathletes on hear lets me know why more and more people dislike triathletes and are leaving the sport for other ventures.

Will she complete all of it? Doubtful, but I bet she will do better then 99% of the ST community ever could.

She's not just "aiming to do something great". She's aiming to do something that's probably impossible, which we have no reason to believe she even understands the magnitude of, and incredulity is the appropriate response.

Your point about people leaving is crap. Most triathletes have no idea Slowtwitch is a thing. Most triathletes I've met in person are wonderful, warm, welcoming people. No one is leaving triathlon because of the attitude on Slowtwitch, regardless of whether it's appropriate now or in general.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Last edited by: Toby: Jul 6, 18 13:43

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Toby] [ In reply to ]

All the negativity here is pretty hilarious. Someone posted that it is even insulting to triathletes for her to try this, lol. Look, she is in amazing shape and she has to be incredibly disciplined. So for anyone to post that she hasn't done her homework or training is misleading. No one knows what she can do. But if you had to lean a certain way you could probably bet she is organized, does her homework, and sticks to a plan.

She is an athlete, she get's to try insane things. Cause we all do and that's how we learn. The attitude here is overwhelmingly negative and idiotic. Great things can't happen unless someone gets off their ass and tries it. I have no idea how she will do. But without doubt, if she succeeds everyone on this rant will say "oh she cut this corner", etc. How about this thread takes a turn and we all offer some advice on how to do this successfully??

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Toby] [ In reply to ]

Toby wrote:
which we have no reason to believe she even understands the magnitude of

This is spot on. She is about to face challenges that she doesn't even know will come up. Even with all the potential problems which people have listed on here those don't cover even half of what may/will come up.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CU427] [ In reply to ]

Will she complete all of it? Doubtful, but I bet she will do better then 99% of the ST community ever could. //

Why all the hate?? No one says she is not fit, or in shape, or has done a few big training blocks. But she hasn't even done"one" ironman yet that I can see, and I suppose 99% of ST has done at least that. most of us a lot more. But we are not the ones who put this out there to the entire world to see, she did. So she obviously wants to be known, we are all just commenting on how silly it is for someone like her. She doesn't know it, or doesn't accept it yet, but the reckoning is going to come. We are not rooting for her to fail, she did that the second she opened her mouth about this endeavor.

Like I said earlier, it would take a very hearty pro (probably mens) triathlete to pull this off in a legitimate fashion. You are right though, that most of us probably could not drive to 50 states in 50 days, let alone do an ironman each day...(-;

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]

The attitude here is overwhelmingly negative and idiotic.

------

I would actually say the overwhelming attitude here is far more realistic than negative and idiotic. And considering this has been attempted once a few years back, we have a "general" idea of how it likely will go down.

I think the part I don't get is if you want to really dissect this and give ideas, it's somehow "negative"....why is that? Your a "hater" if you simply think she's going to fail at what she is saying she's going to do? That's negative or a "hater"? Because that's the same shit that was brought up last time when people corrected IC on his attempt.

And in regards to "advice", I would suggest getting public involved as much as possible within the act of actual completing each leg. Get people to swim/bike/run with her. That'll also get more money raised.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II

Since we all are aware of this in advance, why don't we flood her social media with the rules. I'm fine with a pool for the swim and maybe a treadmill at most (but then has to have back up data tracker such as Garmin indoor mode). Bike, must be done in the real world though. 17h max

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]

Ralph20 wrote:
How about this thread takes a turn and we all offer some advice on how to do this successfully??

Cancel this ridiculous challenge. Start by finishing a double/triple, then a quintuple, then do a deca, then a double deca or go for the 50. Attend actual ultra triathlon races and learn what works/doesn't for other people. Get experience as to what works or doesn't work for you. Understand what it feels like to race with sleep depravation, know what it feels like to hallucinate so you wont freak out if it happens. Develop the mental toughness to work through problems that arise and learn how to force yourself to keep going when you don't want to. I don't know what her training schedule is but I can bet it would be different if she actually had experience as to what she was getting into.
Lastly eliminate the variable of travelling to each state the first time you attempt 50. Its almost impossible without the having to drive every night, this just adds unnecessary complexity.

Not to sound overly dramatic even though I probably do. But theres things that you just wont know until they happen to you while racing for this long.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.

Prev Next