Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]

lacticturkey wrote:
On her latest Instagram post they call it 50 iron triathlons - typo or ...?

Yeah, "50 full distance Iron triathlons 50 days and 50 locations"

She clearly has no fucking idea what she's talking about

Good for PowerDot for helping her out, though. Maybe she can get a spot on Lance's podcast when this is all done?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [satanellus] [ In reply to ]

satanellus wrote:
Ralph20 wrote:
Well she probably isn't doing an established race because they don't allow outside support. And, if she makes it that far, I imagine she would require more support than someone doing a one-off.

I think the opposite.

If she made it that far she would likely be strong enough to not require very much additional support to what is provided at the aid stations and special needs bags. Though she could put some extra food in her T2 bag and even leave a cooked breakfast with her bike to eat while she's in T1.

It would be an ideal opportunity for her support crew to kick back a little and have a day off from the grind of the hands-on crewing for her. Instead, do the shopping to replenish supplies, catch up with the washing, ensure van is organized, solicit donations at the race, liaise with media for the upcoming week etc. Basically do many of the extraneous things they are usually trying to squeeze in during long days on the road while looking after her.

This makes sense. She's not going to somehow require less support as she goes along. The way they've barely promoted this thing I doubt they'll have the forethought to involve the media that much during the event. It's not a 24 hour race. They will have time each day to replenish supplies. They should have another vehicle besides the van that can doing extraneous things during the day.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mickison] [ In reply to ]

Yes, it wouldn't be 24 hour event for her, but the crew as a collective could often be on duty for periods well over 24 hours if they're driving through the night to the next state.

Of course, that's making a generous assumption that she actually makes it beyond the first week.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [satanellus] [ In reply to ]

What about nutrition? Has she adapted to the carbohydrate demands this endeavor will require? Or is she just going to load up on creatine to muscle through this?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]

I hope you're not asking me. I have no idea what she has planned for her diet. I can only hope it is better than her training and preparation.

Though, whatever she does with her diet, I can't imagine the end result being significantly different.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]

turningscrews wrote:
What about nutrition? Has she adapted to the carbohydrate demands this endeavor will require? Or is she just going to load up on creatine to muscle through this?

Clearly, no one on her team is thinking about race weight

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight"

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [lhoyle0217] [ In reply to ]

I have politely asked why she is doing Tulsa when OKC has course support for 140.6 already setup on that day and is only 90 miles away from where she is scheduled to be.

Because it's 140.6 miles and lots of course marshals and people around...

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [lhoyle0217] [ In reply to ]

Where is her schedule?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [chrissie1993] [ In reply to ]

chrissie1993 wrote:
But when she does an established race she would really need to do the 140.6 miles.

And you can't draft (much). I imagine she'll have a flock of crossfit geese around her to pull her along on the bike after a while if she's doing self-supported.

And there is the potential for doping control. That's a lot of muscle and low body fat for somebody to be all natural.

Annnnd you have to show up two days ahead of time to pick up your packet.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RandMart] [ In reply to ]

RandMart wrote:
turningscrews wrote:

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight"

haha that is so true. Who said that? My mom when I visit is always like "you look skinny" and I am still about 10 lbs away. Saw her when I was at race weight and she sat me down and asked me if everything was ok in my life and how my stress levels were and why I wasn't eating. I was still 173 lbs at 6'2. NOT at all marathoner skinny

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [ChandlerMyles] [ In reply to ]

ChandlerMyles wrote:
Where is her schedule?

It's on her Instagram feed.

August
Haiti
15th Virginia Beach, VA
16th Salisbury MD
17th Harrington DE
18th East Brunswick NJ
19th Clinton CT
20th Warwick RI
21st Plainville MA
22nd Portsmouth NH
23rd York ME
24th West Brattleboro VT
25th Albany, NY
26th Allentown, PA
27th Morganton, WV
28th Lexington KY
29th Cincy OH
30th Indianapolis IN
31st Kalamazoo MI
September
1st Chicago, ILL
2nd Madison WIS
3rd Rochester MIN
4th Des Moines IOWA
5th North KC, MO
6th Salina KS
7th North Platte, NE
8th Pierre, SD
9th Bismarck ND
10th billings MT
11th Jackson WYO
12th Boise ID
13th Kennewick WA
14th Klamath Falls OR
15th Fresno CA
16th LAsVegas NV (Olympia)
17th Flagstaff AR
18th Bluff, UT
19th Trinidad, CO
20th Santa Fe, NM
21st Armarillo, TX
22nd Tulsa, OK
23rd Little Rock, AR
24th Memphis, TN
25th Monroe, LA
26th Jackson, MS
27th Montgomery AL
28th ATLANTA, GA
29th Charlotte, NC
30th Columbia, SC
31st Jacksonville, FL
Haiti

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]

Twinkie wrote:
RandMart wrote:
turningscrews wrote:

haha that is so true. Who said that? My mom when I visit is always like "you look skinny" and I am still about 10 lbs away. Saw her when I was at race weight and she sat me down and asked me if everything was ok in my life and how my stress levels were and why I wasn't eating. I was still 173 lbs at 6'2. NOT at all marathoner skinny

6' 2" 173. That's always my ideal way. Not necessarily if I was intent on being super fast in triathlon but the weight I strive to stay at.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RandMart] [ In reply to ]

RandMart wrote:
turningscrews wrote:

Based on the photos in this thread she is already well past intervention time. With virtually no fat reserves, I don't see how she can fuel such an endeavor assuming she is even adequately trained...which she isn't.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]

She mentions in comments of latest IG post she will be using a pool for swim in Atlanta. I wonder if she'll do that for many of the places. Not that it matters that much but pushing off the wall obviously helps.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mickison] [ In reply to ]

You think she can do a flip-turn?

RandMart wrote:
You think she can do a flip-turn?

Ha! No. But neither can I. She'll still get a nice breather at the wall if she needs a rest. I wonder if she'll have to share a lane with somebody.

I won't fault her for pool swims although it's not the same as a full contact Ironman OWS. At least, we hope, she will do the full distance in a pool as opposed to using a short, poorly measured OWS.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]

HuffNPuff wrote:
I won't fault her for pool swims although it's not the same as a full contact Ironman OWS. At least, we hope, she will do the full distance in a pool as opposed to using a short, poorly measured OWS.

Yep. Not the same thing but not a big deal. Unless she gets out of the pool and hops on a spin bike and then elliptical

... And will she [and her team] count lengths, laps, or yards?

satanellus wrote:
Yes, it wouldn't be 24 hour event for her, but the crew as a collective could often be on duty for periods well over 24 hours if they're driving through the night to the next state.

Of course, that's making a generous assumption that she actually makes it beyond the first week.

My bet: she makes it to the first Saturday (with questionable course and dubious distances) before she has to call it as "extended driving and support duties have made it unsafe for the support crew to continue."

She'll only have to go a few days and her friends and family will still love and adore her for her beauty, courage, and strength..

This whole thread does a wonderful job encapsulating why triathlon will never be a huge sport. The amount of people who spew hate and judgement towards a person who wants to try and shine in our sport is just embarrassing. Pages and pages of negative drivel. We should be welcoming her into the family, instead the armchair douchebags of the world are busy wondering when she's going to quit or if she's ever going to start.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]

Damn - I'm 6'-1.5" and race at 176 lbs, and now find out I'm overweight.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [t daddy] [ In reply to ]

She's not trying to shine in the sport of triathlon. She's using it as a marketing ploy to promote herself and her business. It's good that she's raising money for charity and I hope all those proceeds really do go to charity but you're mistaken if she cares at all about triathlon.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]

David_Tris wrote:
Damn - I'm 6'-1.5" and race at 176 lbs, and now find out I'm overweight.

Clydesdale, huh ;)
Last edited by: mickison: Jul 25, 18 8:00

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [t daddy] [ In reply to ]

The amount of people who spew hate and judgement towards a person who wants to try and shine in our sport

You think she is doing this to shine in our sport and I think she is simply promoting herself with a side interest in raising money for orphans. Everyone here would applaud a serious attempt but she is making a mockery of the sport.

The running community would be just as upset if she said she was doing 50 marathons in 50 days and then only running 12 miles and calling it a marathon, or not training for it or essentially mocking all the people who take the sport seriously.

She can do whatever she wants and you can support her all you want but calling that hate and judgement is kind of ironic since you are doing the same to the rest of us.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Jul 25, 18 8:08

Prev Next